Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:33 am

Crybaby

avatar
You look cute, Jimmy, noshing on your corn on the cob! I'm still looking at the grocery to buy 2 maybe 3 ears of corn. Just keep seeing packages of 5 but that's just too much for me, considering his nibs doesn't eat corn!

177 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:You look cute, Jimmy, noshing on your corn on the cob!  I'm still looking at the grocery to buy 2 maybe 3 ears of corn. Just keep seeing packages of 5 but that's just too much for me, considering his nibs doesn't eat corn!

Michelle, aren't there any farm stands that sell loose ears of corn; that you can just grab 2 or 3 ears?
I can't remember, but when we were in the French Quarter, there was a little A&P store, I think?? On a Decatur street ?? If it serves me right?
We picked up some tomatoes, ham and bread to have in our room at the Doubletree Hotel. I think there was a main drag by the hotel ( Canal St.)??
We walked up there, to get "Popeye's Chicken". Boy, that was good crispy chicken. We don't have a Popeye place here by us.

178 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:31 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Friends picked me up last night and took me to dinner. It was fun having time to get caught up on everything happening in our lives and families. Karen and Larry volunteered with us when our kids were in band in high school and were in the same car club when Dane had his 1965 Chevy Impala SS. Larry's retired from the school district, he took care of the fleet of busses. Karen is a registered nurse and still works. For a long time she was the Director of Nursing at a local Nun's Retirement facility. We use to tease her about working at The Nunnery.

So today is my last day here . I've got some towels to wash and trash to carry out, but that's just about it. I'll fly home tomorrow and then we'll be in the home stretch. So close to the end of this adventure.....

179 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Niagara Visitor


No cooking again today for me. I have a friend coming(with two of her friends) from Victoria British Columbia for a whirlwind visit to the Niagara area today.  I am their tourguide.  There are soo many wineries that they want to visit  (and sample) and of course Niagara Falls!

P.S.  I have found also that it can be a real PITA in purchasing groceries for one.

180 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:13 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Last of the leftovers for supper. Everything has been cleaned out of the refrigerator and stashed in the trash bin, ready to go to the street in the morning. I have to be at the airport by 8:30 a.m. And then the long wait to get in the air.

181 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 pm

NormM

avatar
We had this as a salad the other day and liked it so I made it again as a main course.  This time I heated the oil and lemon juice before pouring over the lettuce so as to make it a wilted lettuce and I seasoned the rice with Sazon Goya coriander and anatto powder. The lettuce is in the center of the rice ring and covered up by the shrimp.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

182 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Bugster2

avatar
I opened the fridge and was attacked by last night's Mexican dinner. We brought home leftovers and sometime during the day Joe was moving things around in the fridge and precariously balanced one of those white Styrofoam containers on something else. When I opened the door, the package came flying out and landed on the floor. It literally exploded. There was rice, beans, taco filling and 5 kinds of hot sauce splattered all over the cupboards, floors, fridge and me. I made him clean it up.
Tonight is leftover tri tip, Noodle Roni and Ina's corn salad.

183 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Last of the leftovers for supper. Everything has been cleaned out of the refrigerator and stashed in the trash bin, ready to go to the street in the morning. I have to be at the airport by 8:30 a.m. And then the long wait to get in the air.  

Ha Ha Ha .... Did you bring the big salami wrapped in a blanket to pretend it's a baby. ( I remember that Lucy Ricardo one on tv. )
Enjoy your flight!

184 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:I opened the fridge and was attacked by last night's Mexican dinner. We brought home leftovers and sometime during the day Joe was moving things around in the fridge and precariously balanced one of those white Styrofoam containers on something else. When I opened the door, the package came flying out and landed on the floor. It literally exploded. There was rice, beans, taco filling and 5 kinds of hot sauce splattered all over the cupboards, floors, fridge and me. I made him clean it up.
Tonight is leftover tri tip, Noodle Roni and Ina's corn salad.

Oh sx!t .... I hate when that happens. Tina is great for creating the food balance in the refer. I just reset the food, so it lurches out at her. I do make it more severe sometimes; just to teach a lesson. Evil or Very Mad

185 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Finished the chicken soup tonight. Tina had a meeting at the church, so on the way home she stopped for Mcdouble with cheese , and fries.
No salt on the fries, and fried in old rancid smelling oil.

Tomorrow we go to "Matars" to celebrate her birthday that was the 23rd.

186 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
I got home yesterday and had to go to the store to get fresh food for supper. Dane's on a 'soft food' diet because of the dental work he's having done so I got a salmon filet for him and a cod filet for me. I just boiled an Idaho potato, cut in cubes, to smash on our plates and steamed some broccoli in the microwave.

It's good to be home but I don't remember leaving with the house in such disarray....((sigh))


187 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:38 am

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:You look cute, Jimmy, noshing on your corn on the cob!  I'm still looking at the grocery to buy 2 maybe 3 ears of corn. Just keep seeing packages of 5 but that's just too much for me, considering his nibs doesn't eat corn!

Michelle, aren't there any farm stands that sell loose ears of corn; that you can just grab 2 or 3 ears?
I can't remember, but when we were in the French  Quarter, there was a little A&P store, I think?? On a Decatur street ?? If it serves me right?
We picked up some tomatoes, ham and bread to have in our room at the Doubletree Hotel. I think there was a main drag by the hotel ( Canal St.)??
We walked up there, to get "Popeye's Chicken". Boy, that was good crispy chicken. We don't have a Popeye place here by us.


Laughed Jimmy as I'm sure I could find some loose ones somewhere but it's just a shame that you can't get a couple of loose ears of corn everywhere, you know? If I was wanting to make something special, I'd go to a smaller grocery somewhere but I just want to be able to pick up an ear or two of corn to cook for myself -- Brian doesn't eat it. So like Norm experienced as well, it's just a shame that groceries will only package them in packs of 4 or 5 as you really should be able to buy an ear or two of corn WHEREVER corn is sold, you know?


The little A&P is on Royal Street, Jimmy, and it's STILL THERE. It's a Rouse's now -- a teeny, tiny Rouse's that open from 6 a.m. until 1 a.m., perfect for a small grocery in the French Quarter. And considering its location, though of course one has to pay more but it's not outrageous like one might expect. They pack a lot of grocery into that teeny place and it's really amazing how long it has been there

188 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Off topic but I need some advice from our trusted home repair advisor, Uncle Jimmy!

Last night around 1 a.m., I started noticing it was pretty warm in our bedroom. I got up and went to check the thermostat, which is in the guest room (we have two central units, one that powers the downstairs and one that cools the upstairs). Though the fan was working (fan is always left on “auto”), the thermostat showed it was 78 in the guest room, though I’d lowered it to 72 around 5 p.m. I got ready for a miserable night, as I like it cool in the bedroom.

This morning I woke up sweating and figured I’d go turn off the unit. I decided to turn it back on about 30 seconds later, as I figured having the fan running was better than nothing. About 30 minutes later, I noticed it was feeling cooler. Went back in there and checked and sure enough, the minute I entered the guest bedroom I knew it was working again.

Glad I don’t have to call a repairman today for the air conditioner (the repairman just showed up for the dishwasher which stopped working Friday night!!) but am sure I’ll have to soon. The AC repair company we’ve been using for about 10 or more years hasn’t really pleased us the last couple of visits so I’d already decided to try someone knew when I needed it. It’s just hard knowing which company to call, and also with such an old unit, I just hope the stock answer to my problem is not just “you need a new unit” if it can still be repaired.

Jimmy, would you have any idea what it could be that could be temporarily remedied by my turning the unit off for 60 seconds and then turning it back on? And do you have any suggestions as to what type of questions I should ask before purchasing a new unit, assuming that I might have to (the units were both here when we bought the house 20 years ago). When a central unit “dies,” is it just the compressor that needs replacing, which is the box outside, right? Or does it require whatever part of it that is located in the attic to be replaced as well? The upstairs unit’s air conditioner filter is in the ceiling of the guest room, so that should tell you what “part” of it is in the attic (sorry to sound so stupid but I know nothing about air conditioners other than they’re expensive to repair and replace)!

I’ve been reading reviews of companies this morning but they all seem to have some bad ones, too. I guess I will ask on Nextdoor (that website/app connecting you with your neighbors) for recommendation from people in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods…

At least it's working right now. Hopefully, the dishwasher repairman can fix it before leaving today. We use the dishwasher more than anyone I know, and it's amazing how many dirty dishes two people can create! We both really love this dishwasher and thought it was a lot newer than it is -- the service contract had expired a couple of months ago as the store said we bought it in 2013, the service contract people said we bought it in 2012. It's a Maytag and we love it -- cleans beautifully on every single setting, holds a lot, the top rack moves down a bit if you need more room up there, and it's so quiet that you really can't tell when it's on without checking the little light on the front of it. Hope it's nothing fatal or so expensive we'll have to consider a new one in lieu of repair.

Good news! The repairman just left. It was a small wire that had frayed near the front of the dishwasher and it cost $103 to fix. It was $93 just for him to show up so I'm more than pleased. We're just glad he didn't have to order a darn part which would've meant going without it until a return visit could be arranged.

189 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I opened the fridge and was attacked by last night's Mexican dinner. We brought home leftovers and sometime during the day Joe was moving things around in the fridge and precariously balanced one of those white Styrofoam containers on something else. When I opened the door, the package came flying out and landed on the floor. It literally exploded. There was rice, beans, taco filling and 5 kinds of hot sauce splattered all over the cupboards, floors, fridge and me. I made him clean it up.
Tonight is leftover tri tip, Noodle Roni and Ina's corn salad.

Oh sx!t .... I hate when that happens. Tina is great for creating the food balance in the refer. I just reset the food, so it lurches out at her. I do make it more severe sometimes; just to teach a lesson. Evil or Very Mad

Brian is famous for reaching way in the back, grabbing hold of something and then just pulling -- ignoring everything else that he's knocking out of his way and possibly on the floor. With a hard kitchen floor, if it's breakable, it's going to break. I've got to clean out the fridge soon -- it may be a job for Lynn to do for me though I've got to watch her as she's a lot more influenced than I am about expiration dates. I got a couple of hard clear plastic "trays" that are made to go in the fridge and hold items; you can just slide out the whole tray when you want to grab something. I got a couple of them and figured I'd put stuff like jellies, jams and preserves on one of them, as we always seem to have too many flavors open at once, and it's also one of the things Brian is trying to get out of there dangerously!! I want to clean off all the shelves before I start using them obviously.

190 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Niagara Visitor


I'm going into Pioneer mode.................. gonna make some sauerkraut which I've never done before.  And, some peach date chutney.

191 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:You look cute, Jimmy, noshing on your corn on the cob!  I'm still looking at the grocery to buy 2 maybe 3 ears of corn. Just keep seeing packages of 5 but that's just too much for me, considering his nibs doesn't eat corn!

Michelle, aren't there any farm stands that sell loose ears of corn; that you can just grab 2 or 3 ears?
I can't remember, but when we were in the French  Quarter, there was a little A&P store, I think?? On a Decatur street ?? If it serves me right?
We picked up some tomatoes, ham and bread to have in our room at the Doubletree Hotel. I think there was a main drag by the hotel ( Canal St.)??
We walked up there, to get "Popeye's Chicken". Boy, that was good crispy chicken. We don't have a Popeye place here by us.


Laughed Jimmy as I'm sure I could find some loose ones somewhere but it's just a shame that you can't get a couple of loose ears of corn everywhere, you know? If I was wanting to make something special, I'd go to a smaller grocery somewhere but I just want to be able to pick up an ear or two of corn to cook for myself -- Brian doesn't eat it. So like Norm experienced as well, it's just a shame that groceries will only package them in packs of 4 or 5 as you really should be able to buy an ear or two of corn WHEREVER corn is sold, you know?  


The little A&P is on Royal Street, Jimmy, and it's STILL THERE. It's a Rouse's now -- a teeny, tiny Rouse's that open from 6 a.m. until 1 a.m., perfect for a small grocery in the French Quarter. And considering its location, though of course one has to pay more but it's not outrageous like one might expect. They pack a lot of grocery into that teeny place and it's really amazing how long it has been there

Actually ..... Tina got chased out of that little A&P by a cop.
She carried her drink ( alcoholic ) in a plastic cup with a top, and all he said was You can't have your drink inside the store!
She spilled it in the gutter by the curb, and threw the cup in the trash can, and all was ok to shop. Haaaaaa

192 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:Off topic but I need some advice from our trusted home repair advisor, Uncle Jimmy!

Last night around 1 a.m., I started noticing it was pretty warm in our bedroom. I got up and went to check the thermostat, which is in the guest room (we have two central units, one that powers the downstairs and one that cools the upstairs). Though the fan was working (fan is always left on “auto”), the thermostat showed it was 78 in the guest room, though I’d lowered it to 72 around 5 p.m. I got ready for a miserable night, as I like it cool in the bedroom.

This morning I woke up sweating and figured I’d go turn off the unit. I decided to turn it back on about 30 seconds later, as I figured having the fan running was better than nothing. About 30 minutes later, I noticed it was feeling cooler. Went back in there and checked and sure enough, the minute I entered the guest bedroom I knew it was working again.

Glad I don’t have to call a repairman today for the air conditioner (the repairman just showed up for the dishwasher which stopped working Friday night!!) but am sure I’ll have to soon. The AC repair company we’ve been using for about 10 or more years hasn’t really pleased us the last couple of visits so I’d already decided to try someone knew when I needed it. It’s just hard knowing which company to call, and also with such an old unit, I just hope the stock answer to my problem is not just “you need a new unit” if it can still be repaired.

Jimmy, would you have any idea what it could be that could be temporarily remedied by my turning the unit off for 60 seconds and then turning it back on? And do you have any suggestions as to what type of questions I should ask before purchasing a new unit, assuming that I might have to (the units were both here when we bought the house 20 years ago).  When a central unit “dies,” is it just the compressor that needs replacing, which is the box outside, right? Or does it require whatever part of it that is located in the attic to be replaced as well? The upstairs unit’s air conditioner filter is in the ceiling of the guest room, so that should tell you what “part” of it is in the attic (sorry to sound so stupid but I know nothing about air conditioners other than they’re expensive to repair and replace)!

I’ve been reading reviews of companies this morning but they all seem to have some bad ones, too. I guess I will ask on Nextdoor (that website/app connecting you with your neighbors) for recommendation from people in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods…

At least it's working right now. Hopefully, the dishwasher repairman can fix it before leaving today. We use the dishwasher more than anyone I know, and it's amazing how many dirty dishes two people can create!  We both really love this dishwasher and thought it was a lot newer than it is -- the service contract had expired a couple of months ago as the store said we bought it in 2013, the service contract people said we bought it in 2012. It's a Maytag and we love it -- cleans beautifully on every single setting, holds a lot, the top rack moves down a bit if you need more room up there, and it's so quiet that you really can't tell when it's on without checking the little light on the front of it. Hope it's nothing fatal or so expensive we'll have to consider a new one in lieu of repair.

Good news! The repairman just left. It was a small wire that had frayed near the front of the dishwasher and it cost $103 to fix. It was $93 just for him to show up so I'm more than pleased. We're just glad he didn't have to order a darn part which would've meant going without it until a return visit could be arranged.

Good show on the dishwasher repair. yay!
As far as the A/C cooling goes... there is a lot of good in what you explained. Sorry you had the panic face looking at the t-stat temp of
78ºF when you know it was set at 72º.
You stated, the fan was running even though you keep it on auto position.
That is a good clue, that the system IS calling for cooling.
The bad, is the air blowing out was not cool; obviously!

Now, ??? what could it be?? and there is a GOOD answer there.
The Good, meaning you don't need a new unit. cheers
Why?? Because you turned off the system, and waited 30 or so seconds, and then you turned the system back on to cooling.
So, the good, was that it came on, and was cooling. So that means, the fan runs, and, the compressor has to be running to remove the heat and the refrigeration cycle is functional.
Now...not knowing how your unit is configured, normally there is a low voltage signal sent through a low voltage wire, that indexes the outdoor unit to run and provide cooling to be produced. That device is a magnetic relay switch called the compressor contactor, that actually switches on the outside compressor and related fan that removes the heat as it runs.
A good chance, is that the relay contacts may be pitted , burned. or in some cases, an insect could be stuck holding the contacts from closing.
Thus, the outside unit will not run.
Sometimes one or more of the wires ( High Voltage 230 / 240 Volt ) could be loose / burned and only making contact intermittently ) ...Like the dishwasher wire repair.

A good thing to note, is if there is no cooling, always look to see that the outdoor unit is running, and if the fan is blowing.

If the fan is blowing outside, but there is no hot air blowing out, and the large pipe is not cool or cold and sweating, then there is a problem.

There are hundreds of things to go wrong with various systems. But a normal Cooling system with just a t-stat to operate the function on and off.
It's not a Heat Pump system is it?

193 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm going into Pioneer mode.................. gonna make some sauerkraut which I've never done before.  And, some peach date chutney.


Cool, Lore! I think Norm has made some before. It's a lot of work for sure. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

194 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Good show on the dishwasher repair. yay!

As far as the A/C cooling goes... there is a lot of good in what you explained. Sorry you had the panic face looking at the t-stat temp of 78ºF when you know it was set at 72º.  
You stated, the fan was running even though you keep it on auto position.
That is a good clue, that the system IS calling for cooling.
The bad, is the air blowing out was not cool; obviously!

Now, ??? what could it be?? and there is a GOOD answer there.
The Good, meaning you don't need a new unit. cheers
Why?? Because you turned off the system, and waited 30 or so seconds, and then you turned the system back on to cooling.
So, the good, was that it came on, and was cooling. So that means, the fan runs, and, the compressor has to be running to remove the heat and the refrigeration cycle is functional.

Now...not knowing how your unit is configured, normally there is a low voltage signal sent through a low voltage wire, that indexes the outdoor unit to run and provide cooling to be produced. That device is a magnetic relay switch called the compressor contactor, that actually switches on the outside compressor and related fan that removes the heat as it runs.

A good chance, is that the relay contacts may be pitted , burned. or in some cases, an insect could be stuck holding the contacts from closing.
Thus, the outside unit will not run.

Sometimes one or more of the wires ( High Voltage 230 / 240 Volt ) could be loose / burned and only making contact intermittently ) ...Like the dishwasher wire repair.

A good thing to note, is if there is no cooling, always look to see that the outdoor unit is running, and if the fan is blowing.

If the fan is blowing outside, but there is no hot air blowing out, and the large pipe is not cool or cold and sweating, then there is a problem.

There are hundreds of things to go wrong with various systems. But a normal Cooling system with just a t-stat to operate the function on and off.
It's not a Heat Pump system is it?  


No, it isn't a heat pump system, Jimmy.


Thanks for all the good info! I'm sure it will help me when I have to make a call now that I know about the magnetic relay switch, called the compressor contactor! I'm going to print out what you said so I can re-read it when the time comes to make the call, as I just have a feeling it's going to stop again. You can be darn sure that first, I will again try what I usually call "the female solution" to try to fix something that won't work: unplug it and plug it back in or as in this case, turn it off and then back on!

I really appreciate your taking the time to explain all that to me, Jimmy. I always feel better having even a little bit of knowledge (what we usually call "knowing enough to be dangerous")!!

195 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm going into Pioneer mode.................. gonna make some sauerkraut which I've never done before.  And, some peach date chutney.

If you have any questions, I know our member JanaAZ (Judy) has made sauerkraut a number of times. She's probably made peach chutney, as well.....

But you probably will do just fine with both.

196 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Crybaby

avatar
I've been wanting to try to make some Asian soup lately so I've been looking around for recipes. I found this really neat website where this Japanese lady on the West Coast has lots of traditional Japanese recipes which include step-by-step instructions WITH PICTURES, and even includes photos of some of the ingredients I'm not familiar with. If you've ever been to an ethnic market, nothing is more valuable than pictures of ingredients you need to buy!  Many of her recipes include video tutorials, too. The website is www.justonecookbook.com if you want to check it out. Here's the miso soup recipe I hope to make one day. She suggests adding "yuzu kosho" to it, which is a winter citrus (more info at the bottom of the recipe; see "*" at the end of the recipe), and describes her delight at getting this tip online. It's a very nice website if you want to check it out.

Miso Soup with Yuzu Kosho
Serves 4. Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook.
For lots of pictures & explanations, see www.justonecookbook.com/miso-soup-yuzu-kosho .
To watch a video of Namiko making this soup, see www.justonecookbook.com/miso-soup-yuzu-kosho .

1/4 pork belly (1/4 lb. = 4 oz. =113 grams) (Skip for vegan/vegetarian)
1 leek
2 cabbage leaves
4 shiitake mushrooms
1-1/2 inch carrot (1.5" = 2.5 oz = 72 grams)
2 green onions/scallions
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon sake (forgot to add in the ingredient picture)
4 Tablespoon miso [I would get white miso]
1 silken tofu (1 block = 14 oz = 396 grams)
Yuzu kosho (for taste) *
2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds (roasted/toasted)
Dashi
4 cups water (4 cups = 950 ml)
1 kombu (dried kelp) (3” x 4” = 7.5 cm x 10 cm)
3 cups katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) (loosely packed) (3 cups = 30 grams) (Skip for vegan/vegetarian)

1. Gather all the ingredients first.
2. To make dashi: In a measuring cup (or a large pot), add 4 cups water and kombu and let it steep. You can do this process overnight or as soon as you start preparing. This is kombu dashi.  If you're using dashi powder or dashi packet, follow this tutorial, and use it at Step 12.
3. Cut the pork belly into one-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
4. Cut the leek in half lengthwise, and then cut the halves into 1-inch pieces widthwise. Rinse under cold water to make sure there is no dirt inside the pieces.
5. Cut the cabbage leaves into small pieces.
6. Remove the stem of shiitake mushrooms and slice thinly.
7. Cut the carrot in half lengthwise, and slice thinly. Cut the green onions thinly.
8. Transfer the kombu dashi into a pot (if you didn’t use a pot at Step 2). Slowly bring the kombu dashi to a boil over medium low heat. When the water is almost boiling, remove the kombu to avoid sliminess. If you are vegan/vegetarian, skip next two steps (Step 9 and Step 10).
9. Add 3 cups katsuobushi and cook for 15 seconds. Then turn off the heat and let the katsuobushi steep in the pot for 15 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, in a separate large pot (or donate), heat 1 Tablespoon sesame oil over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add the pork belly and stir to cook.
Once the pork belly is 80% cooked through, add 1 Tablespoon sake and stir to combine. Then add chopped leeks.
11. Once leeks are wilted, add the rest of vegetables and mushrooms. Stir to coat with the oil. Then using a fine mesh strainer, strain the dashi into the pot.
12. Bring the soup mixture to a boil, skimming the foam and scum on the surface while cooking. Turn off the heat and add 2 Tablespoons miso first, and then gradually add in more as you taste the soup. Each miso brand and type of miso tastes differently and the sodium level varies, so you want to taste before adding more miso.
13. Add the tofu into the soup and turn on the heat to continue to simmer until tofu is nice and warm (tofu is edible chilled, so you don’t have to worry about “cooking” it). Just make sure not to let the miso soup boil. It should take not more than 3-4 minutes to warm the tofu, and the soup is now ready.
Before serving, scoop out small portion of Yuzu Kosho from the jar and place it on a small plate. Grind 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds and put in in a small bowl. Serve them alongside with the donabe or soup pot.
14. After you ladle the soup into individual serving bowl, add a pinch of Yuzu Kosho and a small amount of sesame seeds, stir in and enjoy!

*What is yuzu kosho?  Yuzu is a winter citrus that’s used in Japanese cooking.  It has a flavor somewhere between a lemon, mandarin orange, and grapefruit!  It looks like this (see website), and I have used this citrus to make Yuzu Sorbet.  Yuzu kosho is simply a paste made from chili peppers, yuzu peel (when it’s still green), and salt.  It is then allowed to ferment to bring out the flavors even stronger.

197 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Good luck with the a/c ~ this is NOT the time of the year to have problems! The humidity alone is enough to put you in a stupor!



Dane has NO suggestions for meals, just knows what he cannot eat and wants me to cook.....

So, he gets what he gets ~ tonight was Chicken & Noodles, the chicken thighs simmered until they fell apart and the vegetables were just bits of color, having given up all texture in the long simmer. The noodles were homemade (of course) and were just what the doctor ordered. At least we both ate and one of us had seconds.....

He did call me 'EVIL' for buying a loaf of fresh rye bread at the Deli this morning. But I'm not sorry. I was hungry for rye toast yesterday with my coffee and tried to ignore the craving but this morning I knew I was going to make a quick golf cart ride to pick up a loaf. And it made me happy!


198 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Good luck with the a/c ~ this is NOT the time of the year to have problems!  The humidity alone is enough to put you in a stupor!



Dane has NO suggestions for meals, just knows what he cannot eat and wants me to cook.....

So, he gets what he gets ~ tonight was Chicken & Noodles, the chicken thighs simmered until they fell apart and the vegetables were just bits of color, having given up all texture in the long simmer.  The noodles were homemade (of course) and were just what the doctor ordered.  At least we both ate and one of us had seconds.....

He did call me 'EVIL' for buying a loaf of fresh rye bread at the Deli this morning.  But I'm not sorry.  I was hungry for rye toast yesterday with my coffee and tried to ignore the craving but this morning I knew I was going to make a quick golf cart ride to pick up a loaf.  And it made me happy!





Looks divine, Beth. I can almost smell it!

199 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:53 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Thanks, Michelle.....the noodles create a silkiness to the broth, not gravy like, but just very soft on your tongue. By tomorrow the leftovers will be one giant mass that will have to be reheated with additional water ~ there's enough flavor that he won't even have to add broth.

200 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Thanks, Michelle.....the noodles create a silkiness to the broth, not gravy like, but just very soft on your tongue.  By tomorrow the leftovers will be one giant mass that will have to be reheated with additional water ~ there's enough flavor that he won't even have to add broth.

Mmm. You're making my mouth water, Beth.

See my message re Soba Noodle Salad...

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum