Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:you could try spreading it out on a parchment lined sheet pan and putting it in the oven ~ but I'm thinking it's not going to help much.

That's why I rely on the 'Lock-Lock' containers.  Love the air tight seal (better than the old Tupperware).

We use Lock & Lock, too, Beth. You're right, they're wonderful and age well, too -- much better seal than Tupperware and I can vouch for the fact that they don't open up when dropped from the refrigerator, too! QVC often has different ones on special, too, where you can save a bundle if you're willing to buy a set of different types. I got a big clear set that all nest when empty with the two biggest containers having handles on them. I used them in the pantry to house our stash of batteries, bolts, screws and nails we keep handy, and to house other small stuff. Love them 'cause I can see what's in them right off the bat. And that handle on the big box of D, C, AA, AAA, and other batteries is great, as batteries are heavy and it's easy to pull out that handled container when we need some.

152AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We love Chorizo, both the Spanish and the Mexican styles, but the latter is often hard for us to find. Saw this recipe on how to make it when I was searching for ideas on how to use the Chorizo I found at Fresh Market. I saw other recipes but this one sounded the most "Mexican," though I'd probably use some other pork fat if pork belly wasn't available. Fresh Market had some beautiful dried peppers, too -- the good kind, where they're dried yet pliable and not the types that are too dried and crumble up into tiny pieces when you're getting them out of the bag. Stocked up on some we use regularly while I was there, including guajillos, which I love using because they bring a kind of smoky, spicy sweetness to everything you use them in.

Mexican Chorizo
Recipe by Mely Martínez - Mexico in my Kitchen.com
Chorizo Mexicano can be cooked in a red salsa, mixed in with scrambled eggs, fried with cubed potatoes, cooked for tacos, added to Tinga Poblana, etc... it will spice up your plate. Enjoy the recipe. Now your chorizo is ready!! Cook, refrigerate, smoke or use your food saver if you plan to freeze it.

2 lbs. ground pork
6 ounces ground pork belly fat
2 Tablespoons salt
8 guajillo peppers
6 ancho peppers
1 cup white vinegar
3 Tablespoons paprika
6 garlic cloves peeled and minced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 Tablespoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon dry marjoram
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
6 cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Sausage casings, twine if using

1. Wipe the peppers clean. Remove stems and cut lengthwise. Remove seeds and place in a bowl. Cover with hot water and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, grind the spices and dry herbs using a spice grinder.
3. Discard water and place the peppers in a blender. Add the vinegar and garlic cloves and puree until smooth; set aside.
4. Place the pork meat and fat in a large bowl. Add the ground mixture of herbs and spices. Mix well. Add the chili sauce and combine until well mixed. Fry a very small patty to taste so you can adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
5. Place in your refrigerator for a day to season in a well-covered glass container. This step will enhance the flavor. After a day, stir the mixture and wrap it in small packages, it will freeze well for months. It can also be stuffed into casings.

Though I'd just make and store this for bulk use, here are the instructions given with this recipe if you're stuffing it into casings and actually making sausage links.

How to Stuff the Chorizo into the Casings:

Soak the casings in warm water until soft and pliable, at least 1 hour.
Run lukewarm water through the casings to remove any salt.
Below are the casings and corn husks strips after 1 hour of soaking in warm water, the funnel, and the chorizo mixture.
Tie a double knot in one end of the casing, and then cut off a length of casing. Gather all but a couple of inches of the casing over the nozzle of the sausage stuffer or funnel.
Start pressing the sausage mixture through, supporting the casing with your other hand. Pack the sausage as tight as you can, but not to the point of bursting. When you have filled almost all the casing (or used up all the stuffing), slip the casing of the nozzle.
For a coil, tie the sausage where the stuffing ends.
Place the sausage on a clean table and start to make links.
Pinch the rope into links and twist in alternating directions at the indentations. Using butcher’s twine or corn husks tie the rope of sausage at intervals.
Randomly pick the casings with a thin toothpick or the tines of a fork to release any air that’s trapped.
Hang the chorizo Mexicano for a day in a dry room free of dust or insects. If you wish you can cover it with a cheesecloth. This step will help to cure the meat. Some of the vinegar will drip at this stage.

Now your Mexican chorizo - Chorizo Mexicano is ready!! Cook, refrigerate, smoke or use your food saver if you plan to freeze it.

153AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, love, Love, LOVE Glide out cabinets......I'm looking for ones that automatically incinerate miss matched plastic containers and lids....

The shrimp I got at Kroger were just split down the back but still had shells & legs.

His hives returned with a vengeance this afternoon. We ended up taking him to urgent care for an injection and scrips. The doc said to also pick up Alrgra and Pepsid because it has anti histamine or something.....poor kid, has to start school tomorrow. I hope he's not itching like crazy.

154AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am marinating chicken for Tuscan chicken on the grill. I have some OXO cutting boards I bought just before the move and was using them for the chicken. They have rubber edges so they don't move. WRONG! They spin like a carousel. Very dangerous when you have a sharp knife in your hands. Those go to charity. I have to find some new ones. Any suggestions?
I have a huge pile of donations sitting on the curb waiting for the SA to pick up. Got rid of 3 things to a neighbor. Got my new freezer and after the delivery people left I noticed a crease on the side. SOL. Joe signed the release. I think when I take delivery of something nest time I will refuse to sign anything until I take my time and check out the item.
Joe picked up Katie from the station last night. 4 hours to go about 150 miles. She had wine on the trip and was three sheets to the wind when she got home, slurring her words. It bothers me and it bothers me when Joe gets in that condition. I suddenly realized why - PTSD. My mother was an alcoholic. At least I know and can avoid them when they are that way.

155AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

NormM

NormM

I bought a small wooded cutting with something on the bottom that keeps is stable and I use it for quick preparations. I got it at Bed, Bath & B.  If you want something synthetic that is easy on knives and will go in the dishwasher, I think a rubber cutting board is great. I have been using two different ones for twenty years or more.  They come in a lot of different sizes and if you put a damp dish cloth under the small ones, they won't move.  Bigger ones are heavy enough to stay put. The brand name is Sani-Tuff

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

156AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. I want something I can throw in the dishwasher. I have seen a large rubber mat and it was very nice but very heavy. There is a kitchen store out here I am going to check out. This will be a good reason to do so. It is called Kitchen Fantasy. The pics of the inside are incredible.

157AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

NormM

NormM

The rubber cutting boards are a lot heavier than wood and they are not bouncy or springy like you might imagine rubber might be.

158AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:31 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the site was down for maintenance yesterday evening. I tried a couple times to go to the site and got a message the server was unavailable. I've never gotten notice ahead of time when this happens. Sorry if any of you had problems opening the site. I hope it's done now.

159AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup I made. Boneless skinless thighs. Little tiny meatballs. 1/2 lb. beef 90/10.... and crushed crackers ( saltines ).... egg, salt pepper and a pinch of garlic powder.   And the usual beans, carrots, and celery, and onions.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Img_1123

160AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yummy!

161AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last week or so I remember Norm making goulash....and I've been hungry for it ever since!

So today I picked up a pound of ground chuck to brown up, added some chopped onion and the last of the little red sweet peppers Andrea grew and brought when she was here. I added a can of petite diced tomatoes and most of a bottle of Spicy V-8 and let it simmer for an hour or so. Oh, I also added a grated carrot to give some sweetness to the tomato sauce. I didn't cook the macaroni in the sauce because it's just easier especially with leftovers, to just spoon the sauce over the noodles and mix it up in my bowl. I've got enough in the refrigerator for another meal and a quart of sauce in the freezer for when Dane and I return for the house closing the end of the month.

It makes me nervous to leave for a couple weeks but I'll walk across the street and talk to the police about keeping an eye on the place for me while we're gone. They all know Robin so she won't have any problem being here to move stuff out of the garage. I just don't want anyone else lurking around with the "Pending Sale" sign in the front yard.

Today the termite inspector came and didn't find any evidence of bugs. Tomorrow the purchaser's bank inspection happens. Then it's just a waiting game for all the pieces to fall into place. For as nerve wracking as it is for me, I'm sure the purchaser is going through her own nail biting, too. It'll be good to have it all over and done with.

162AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had breaded pork cutlets, rice, and applesauce.
Had a nice tomato wedge salad with olive oil and oregano and garlic. A splash of vinegar, and Italian Bread

Ice cream cone for dessert!

163AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Went out with neighborhood friend for supper. I wanted to take her out since she volunteered to take me to the airport Monday morning to fly home. I'm so ready to get back to MY bed! Even though we return in a couple weeks to finish cleaning out the garage its still nice to get home again.

164AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mommy Tina Baby had a birthday today.
She wanted Daddy Poops Pizza Pie.

DS and DIL picked up a cannoli cake at Weis Markets. The side of the cake was crushed cannoli tubes.... yuck! Stale like chipped cardboard.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Img_1124

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Img_1125

165AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Re cutting boards:

I've got about 3 or 4 hard plastic/synthetic white ones from the grocery -- they're fine for our use and we pop them right in the dishwasher. A couple are about 12x18 inches and one is much bigger than that. If you have a trouble with one moving around, you can put a silicone potholder under it or else use one of the Silpat pads, the ones used in baking, under it. But ours pretty much don't move around unless they've warped like one of them did after it got left on the rear of the stovetop when the oven was being used at a high temp. I also have a couple of small plastic cutting boards with holes in the handles that I hang on the end of the pot rack near other hanging tools and items we grab for often; they're easy to get to when I want to cut up a lime for drinks or slice an onion or use one for something messy and then pop it in the dishwasher when I finish with it.

I've got a large wooden cutting board with rounded edges that I use primarily for baking -- rolling out stuff on it, etc. -- since I have to hand-wash that one. It's pretty wood, too, and I've used it when laying out a big cheese and sausage board for the table as well -- since I'm careful when I use it, it hasn't picked up any stains over the years. Sometimes I grab it to use it as a big trivet I use on the island when I've got stuff coming out of the oven really hot.

I've got a smaller wooden cutting board I bought many years ago as well but I hardly ever use that one anymore as it's just so much safer to use the plastic ones. I know they're harder on your knives but I sharpen the knives we use most often all the time with a knife sharpener before we start prepping/cooking, so sharpening is pretty much second nature to us. The convenience of having light cutting boards that clean up so nicely in the dishwasher means a lot to both of us.

166AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, love, Love, LOVE Glide out cabinets......I'm looking for ones that automatically incinerate miss matched plastic containers and lids....

Laughed, as that was something I took care of after Lynn cleaned out all the cabinets prior to installing the glide-out shelves. I went through all the ones we had, recycled some of them if no top could be found, and I gave Lynn some for a yard sale she and her neighbors are planning for the Fall. All of those had tops but we really didn't use them very much so why store them in valuable real estate cabinets?! Brian ran all the ones we rarely use but kept through the dishwasher on the top rack just to give 'em a good cleaning.

On Tuesday when Lynn came to clean, I had another task for her. I had a carpenter who was looking for work replace the white "board" bottom of the cabinet under our kitchen sink last week. Years ago we had a leak under the sink that went undetected for a while and that whole board (the type normally inside kitchen cabinets) got warped and drooped way down in the back. I wanted it replaced. John wanted to use plywood he'd paint white but I insisted on the same type of material to be used. So of course I had to buy a big sheet of the stuff and have him cut it down; the edges are "covered" in white by a roll of edging you actually cut to fit and iron on. He had a big giant sheet left (it was really very heavy, too, as I guess it's a type of coated particle board) so I had him cut it in four more manageable pieces and gave them to Lynn for her garage sale, along with the roll of "tape" for the edges. The warped board under the sink was only held up underneath by a couple of short pegs, some of which had broken off, so he stabilized the board a lot better by edging the sides of the cabinet with strips of wood (like 1x1s) on all sides. John kept asking me if I wanted shelves anywhere in the house he could use it for but I really didn't and sure and heck didn't want to have to stash it somewhere where it would go unused for years and just take up space. Lynn was tickled to get it, especially when she saw the edging material was there for her use, too.

I found a large 21-inch diameter clear Lazy Susan at the online Container Store recently so I had Lynn put that under the sink and organize everything under there after she cleaned off all the containers. She absolutely ADORES organizing stuff so she was in her heyday! She also lifted up some of the flexible "piping" under the sink, too, so the taller items on the Lazy Susan had more room to pass around. We had so many duplicates under there as Brian would rather buy more of something than bend down and drag stuff out of the very deep cabinet!

I've got one more huge cabinet (the corner cabinet) that needs to be tackled for cleaning and clean out! The base of the cabinet needs cleaning and it will be a good time for us to get rid of all the baking dishes, roasting pans and other oven equipment we no longer use or forgot about stashed down there. It's a huge cabinet and has the folding-type corner cabinet door on it that doesn't make it one of those dead-end/blind side corner cabinets you guys had to explain to me. But it is jammed with stuff and like everything, it's gotten much worse over the years as we just stuffed big pans back in there the easy way after they were used. She'll have great fun organizing that one!

167AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The shrimp I got at Kroger were just split down the back but still had shells & legs.

I've never once seen fresh shrimp offered like that before, Beth!  That's why I had to ask as it seemed to be what you were indicating. When I buy big fresh shrimp at the grocery, I don't mind peeling them as it's pretty easy with big ones -- plus I like freezing the heads and shells for shrimp stock, too.

168AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Went out with neighborhood friend for supper. I wanted to take her out since she volunteered to take me to the airport Monday morning to fly home. I'm so ready to get back to MY bed! Even though we return in a couple weeks to finish cleaning out the garage its still nice to get home again.

I had no idea you were going to stay there so long after Dane left, Beth. I have no doubt it will be nice for you to go home on Monday!

169AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Mommy Tina Baby had a birthday today.

DS and DIL picked up a cannoli cake at Weis Markets. The side of the cake was crushed cannoli tubes.... yuck! Stale like chipped cardboard.

I'd never heard of a cannoli cake before, Jimmy. It sure looked good!

A belated Happy Birthday to Tina, too! She looks so great recently that another birthday will easily go under the radar!

170AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, darn.......a BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ms. Tina! She gets younger every year.

Tonight I'm going to fix a hot dog with sauerkraut and cook an ear of good Ohio sweet com in the microwave. I went to the store looking for one of the little cans of sauerkraut and, of course, they only had the 14 oz. size. So, I'm going to see if sauerkraut survives being frozen after taking it out of the can. Never tried it before. I should probably just toss it, but it amuses me to try stuff I've never done before.

171AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Mommy Tina Baby had a birthday today.

I'd never heard of a cannoli cake before, Jimmy. It sure looked good!

A belated Happy Birthday to Tina, too!  She looks so great recently that another birthday will easily go under the radar!

Thank you Michelle.... actually yesterday, she felt tired, and looked like heck ( she said ). No It has to do with ( simply put and being neutral )
Jeans and slacks getting smaller. need I say more?

I told her... it's tough once you hit 73. She has that traveling rash too, and I say it's to do with thyroid. Or the shingles.

172AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, darn.......a BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ms. Tina!  She gets younger every year.

Tonight I'm going to fix a hot dog with sauerkraut and cook an ear of good Ohio sweet com in the microwave. I went to the store looking for one of the little cans of sauerkraut and, of course, they only had the 14 oz. size.  So, I'm going to see if sauerkraut survives being frozen after taking it out of the can.  Never tried it before.  I should probably just toss it, but it amuses me to try stuff I've never done before.

Ms Tina said thank you.... She's shucking corn from PA.
I think it will be butter lips and drippy chins tonight!

173AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Cuban sandwiches yesterday and had some left over and had another one today.

174AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here Is Jimmy Face Typing on his cobb. Lots of Butter and Old Bay seasoning.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Img_1126

175AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 7 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:27 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Last night we had paneed chicken, which I normally accompany with tarragon cream sauce. But Brian agreed to forgo the usual sauce he's crazy for if I made wild mushroom risotto. It turned out really well except my saffron had no flavor and little color, a first. I've had it for a while and I *think* it might have come as a bonus with some cooking items I ordered so it mustn't have been very good to begin with. Love both the flavor and the color of saffron and I really think the dish missed its mark without it. But Brian really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Saffron has been added to the grocery list which we now make on Alexa. Ever since I started doing it, Brian is now managing to holler out everything he runs across which is running low -- a good thing! It's funny how Alexa often misunderstands me (my voice is pretty deep for a female) and will reveal some soundalike garble when one of us asks her to read the list to us. "Garofalo pappardelle" was hilarious!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum