Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Yeah, I have tried some store bought boiled eggs and deviled eggs. Neither are very good.

I bought some boiled eggs at the grocery -- the ones that came peeled were pretty good. I should eat a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast every once in a while so I got them so I had no excuses. They were really inexpensive, too.

How nice of you to cook for Charlie and his friends, Norm. I hope they were hungry as that was a real spread!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

127AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thanks, everyone! It's such a relief to have it over. I know it was only 2 days of showings but it was still keeping me on edge.

And, yes, Debbie, we're staying in Florida. I love my little courtyard villa - only about 1,200 sq. ft., 2 bedrooms, 2 baths house. No more worry about dreary skies, torrential rains (well, there is that....) but NO SNOW!

So glad everything went well, Beth. I don't think I've ever seen a house in such good condition. Everything was so spotless!

You remind me of Brian with your NO SNOW remark. God, he hates it. Like we like to say, you don't have to shovel heat and humidity! Do you plan any immediate changes to your current home? I figure you and Dane might want to relax a while before you begin any new projects, but then you've got a lot more energy than we do!

128AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Believe it or not, I found out there are a few Fresh Market stores here -- went to one Thursday Uptown near where I had a doctor's appointment.

Beautiful store but pricey. Of course, I bought too much and spent too much but I won't be stopping in often. A beautiful meat section, with lamb chops, a couple cuts of veal, and also some fresh Mexican chorizo.

We shared a salad with spinach, baby greens, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts and a big of crumbled feta. Delicious. I got two nice ribeyes but am used to thicker cuts than these. Cooked them in a cast iron pan with smashed garlic cloves and fresh thyme sprigs and finished with a bit of red wine. But I bought some truffle butter, too, and we had that on our steaks. Brian recently told me he'd never had truffles (I've only had then when dining out) so when I saw the small containers of truffle butter, I thought it would be the perfect introduction for him and we both loved it on our steaks.

They had beautiful bok choy, too, so I got three bunches. I was in a hurry to saute it before the steaks were done so I just used olive oil, some Irish butter, chopped onion, sliced garlic and some red pepper flakes to cook with the bok choy and it turned out delicious. It has really become one of my favorites.  

Brian wasn't feeling wonderful this afternoon (the cancer pill he takes roughs up his stomach every couple of days and today is one of those days) so he asked me if we could wait until tomorrow to cook dinner so he can hang out with me downstairs and help. It's nice just to have the company while I'm cooking so I said sure. Lately we've been using Alexa to broadcast tunes from the playlist I made on Amazon and we've really been enjoying listening to music while we're in the kitchen cooking.

So he's heating up a chicken pot pie for me tonight and is reheating a burger we got the other day from Rally's and he'll sample the container of pasta salad I got from Fresh Market's prepared food case -- I hope it tastes as good as it looks as the lady told me as I was walking away that they give tastes of everything.

Tomorrow I'm going to use the Mexican chorizo (we love the Spanish type, too, but the Mexican is harder to find; just found a good recipe to make my own if necessary) to make stuffed bell peppers. I was looking around at recipes on the Net and got inspired by one using rice and canned tomatoes. But I'm going to use some leftover French bread and a couple of pieces of the old-fashioned loaf of sourdough bread I bought at Fresh Market to make a bread based stuffing. The chorizo is usually kind of spicy but I'm going to add a minced jalapeno to it, too (we've got tons of them due to two bushes), as Brian has been enjoying things a bit spicier than he did for a while after his latest radiation. I'm going to probably add some chopped fresh cilantro, too, as I love that flavor with the Chorizo. I always make stuffed bell peppers with a ground meat stuffing so the spicy sausage stuffing sounds like a nice change. Depending on how it's looking, I might add some fresh arugula to it, too.

Brian wants macaroni and cheese to go alongside his stuffed peppers so we'll make that, too...

129AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake came over for shrimp & grits. It's what I planned to make for myself and then he came over to help me mow the grass. He's never had shrimp & grits but was willing to try. I only put 3 shrimp on his grits & bacon gravy, just in case. His other 7 shrimps went naked on a plate. Well, he ended up liking the meal and said he'd eat it anytime! Of course, he wasn't a bit sad he also had a plate of shrimps to eat plain.

He even wanted to learn how to clean the shrimp......no problem, Buddy! Fortunately, I had picked up some huge American Wild Caught and they were already split down the back and washed out. He just head to examine their little legs and pinch the tails off. What's really irritating is the shrimp were only $8.99 / lb at Kroger. We live within 2 hours of the ocean and they charge $11.99 for American Wild on sale. I really miss Kroger!

130AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"add some chopped fresh cilantro, too, as I love that flavor........."

EEWWWWWWWW!!!

Hahahahahaha Just kidding! Just wanted you to know I always read ALL your posts.

131AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie had an IBS attack so she doesn't want to eat. I guess Joe and I will have tuna on rye.

Had my freezer delivered today and it was HUGE! A monster! I open the door and pull out the paperwork and realize it isn't the freezer I ordered. The delivery guys just dropped it of and ran so I didn't have time to tell them it was the wrong one. On the phone for an hour and fortunately had my freezer swapped out with the right one. Now to chill it. I did find out one annoying thing that they don't tell you in the description: you can't block the air vents inside so it does cut back on my storage space.

I went to a store down here to check it out. It was called Dollar Tree. Don't know if you have them where you live. I ran across something that I love that I haven't had since high school: Fiddle Faddle toffee popcorn and peanuts. Bought a couple of boxes and Katie promptly polished one off and I have been nibbling on mine. YUM!

It is 4:30 pm and still 90. I think I may have to go in the pool.

132AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Img_1121
Had the King and Queen Special for supper today.
Turkey for Tina, and Salisbury Steak for Jimmy! ....... It was pouring rain and lightning out...so no grilling.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Img_1120

133AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, also keep an eye open for Moose Teacks....or some name like that. It's chocolate coated popcorn and peanuts, good stuff.

Maybe Katie had the ibs from eating your Fiddle Faddle......it would serve her right. Like I said, you have way more patience with her than I would.

134AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is one for Debbie ( Bugster 2 )

Little Liam has Hand and Foot in Mouth virus...... Never heard of it! I know, I never had it.
Gee, I wonder if he could have possibly picked it up in day care from other kids. ? .... Poor kid was so itchy, they had to let him soak in aveeno bath to help with the itchy. 

He understands, so they should repeat to him ( don't put stuff in your mouth ) and keep you own hands out of your mouth. 

My grandnephew had the same virus 2 months ago, they live in Sydney, Australia, some of his friends from the daycare had it too, it was so painful to see him suffering.. his parents had to take turn to take a leave of absence to take care of him. I hope Liam is recovered now  

135AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Imelda.... He is feeling better for now!
My DIL came down with a fever, and hands and feet cracking. She has the Foot in mouth now. 

Poor little guy was so itchy. They gave him aveeno baths. 
I hope your grand nephew is all better. Poor thing!

Oh! BTW.... the reply composition block is all the post so I could not post .
there was no [ quote ] to follow after to add reply.

136AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner is cooking in the oven. Easy bake / make stuffed cabbages casserole.
Just chopped cabbage, pork and veal seasoned, with tomato soup, sauce, and diced tomatoes. Smells ok so far. I hope and pray it's not mushy. 
I didn't make it, and I'm not being negative, but I hope and pray it's edible to eat with a fork.....and not a soup spoon!

137AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm

NormM

NormM

I broke in a new wok today with marinated steak. We also had some roasted vegetables.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 20180825
AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 20180826

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

138AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Norm. 
Mine wasn't the greatest. It was just like I said..... Mush!
Tina liked it...... she could have it......All of It!  Sorry!!

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Img_1122

139AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I broke in a new wok today with marinated steak. We also had some roasted vegetables.

Nice wok Norm. How did you season it?

140AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at Robin's all day. Ben was working on constructing the barn roof and she asked me to come and help cook for a birthday cookout for Ben's elder daughter's birthday. A lot of Ben's family was going to be there. Ended up with a dozen people. Unfortunately, elder daughter went out with friends last night (she has type 1 diabetes) and she ended up in the hospital. Apparently it's what happens every time she goes bar hopping with her friends. No one seemed to think it was something to be concerned about, she'll get some iv meds and be released tomorrow.

My Jacob, however, was miserable. When I got there he had just gotten up. He was covered with hives. Big, swollen, red welts all over his back. We went to the drug store for anti itch cream (didn't work) and Benedryl. I gave him 2 Benedryl and within half an hour he was asleep for 4 hours. At least he didn't itch when he was asleep.

He was up for about 3 hours and the welts returned, this time to his arms and chest and stomach. He had one giant welt in the shape of a heart on his belly. If he hadn't been so miserable it would have been funny. I tried to dab him down with an oatmeal wash, which dried up some of the red and he said it helped stop the itch. 2 more Benedryl and he was in bed for the night. I sure hope it's gone in the morning....

141AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:
NormM wrote:I broke in a new wok today with marinated steak. We also had some roasted vegetables.

Nice wok Norm. How did you season it?

I took it outside to the side burner on the grill and heated it until the shipping oil smoked off. Other than that, it is already seasoned and I cooked with oil and will keep doing that. It does not take much oil though because of it's shape.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

142AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was at Robin's all day. Ben was working on constructing the barn roof and she asked me to come and help cook for a birthday cookout for Ben's elder daughter's birthday. A lot of Ben's family was going to be there. Ended up with a dozen people. Unfortunately, elder daughter went out with friends last night (she has type 1 diabetes) and she ended up in the hospital. Apparently it's what happens every time she goes bar hopping with her friends. No one seemed to think it was something to be concerned about, she'll get some iv meds and be released tomorrow.

My Jacob, however, was miserable. When I got there he had just gotten up. He was covered with hives. Big, swollen, red welts all over his back. We went to the drug store for anti itch cream (didn't work) and Benedryl. I gave him 2 Benedryl and within half an hour he was asleep for 4 hours. At least he didn't itch when he was asleep.

He was up for about 3 hours and the welts returned, this time to his arms and chest and stomach. He had one giant welt in the shape of a heart on his belly. If he hadn't been so miserable it would have been funny. I tried to dab him down with an oatmeal wash, which dried up some of the red and he said it helped stop the itch. 2 more Benedryl and he was in bed for the night.  I sure hope it's gone in the morning....

Poor Kid! Beth try Allegra, and they have Allegra ointment. My son gets relief from that other than Benadryl. Tina has a moving rash. One day, on her thigh; next day completely moved to her hip. Then.... "boink"
on her belly.

Maybe Jacob is allergic to the shrimp? he had the other night?
Did he go in the pond or swimming pool?

143AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm waiting this morning for him to get up (last day of summer vacation) to call me and let me know they're gone.....fingers crossed!

The only thing we can think of is the shrimp. That would devastate him as he loves seafood. And to think I purposefully bought American wild caught shrimp because I'm wary of all farm raised. Only time will tell.

144AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I'm waiting this morning for him to get up (last day of summer vacation) to call me and let me know they're gone.....fingers crossed!

The only thing we can think of is the shrimp. That would devastate him as he loves seafood. And to think I purposefully bought American wild caught shrimp because I'm wary of all farm raised. Only time will tell.

The same thing just happened to a friend of mine. He is in his late 50's, ate some scallops, which he loves, and broke out in hives. He can't eat them anymore. My dad was allergic to shellfish but he got violently ill when he ate them.

145AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Question:
Last week I made peanut brittle. I put it in what I thought was an air-tight container. I guess not because it is starting to get sticky and less brittle. Is there anyway to rejuvinate the brittle and get rid of the sticky?

146AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

you could try spreading it out on a parchment lined sheet pan and putting it in the oven ~ but I'm thinking it's not going to help much.

That's why I rely on the 'Lock-Lock' containers. Love the air tight seal (better than the old Tupperware).

147AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:"add some chopped fresh cilantro, too, as I love that flavor........."

EEWWWWWWWW!!!

Hahahahahaha Just kidding! Just wanted you to know I always read ALL your posts.

At it turned out, ,my cilantro had gone south but you'd laugh, as Brian is out on errands and I just phoned him to add fresh parsley and cilantro to the couple of items he's picking up.

The bell peppers stuffed with chorizo turned out wonderful, even without the cilantro. On the reheat in the oven tonight, I'm going to add some cilantro to the top along with some grated gruyere (last night I topped them with a Parmesan/bread crumb topping to crisp up. I used extra-sharp cheddar and some grated gruyere to the macaroni and cheese (and always a small piece of Velveeta; as dreaded as it is, I think a small piece always helps the smoothness of the sauce), which I put on some pasta that looked like small ziti (forgot the name). Meal really turned out super, and we're anxious to have leftovers tonight. I'm going to add some sautéed Bok Choy to it tonight with bacon added this time as it will be the only thing I'll have to make.

Speaking of always reading my posts, did anyone see where I added pull-out gliding wire shelving to three of my skinny (14-3/4-inch) lower cabinets last week?  I posted something in the equipment area but wanted to make sure you guys knew how WONDERFUL these rollout shelves are and how they've transformed those cabinets!  The nice thing is I got them on special ($33/each) right before the maker raised the price to $45 on these, their "skinniest" version:

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Drawer11

They're really heavy-duty, glide effortlessly and hold a lot (11 x 21 inches deep). Even though I don't have anything heavy stored that low, I see photos on the maker's website of them holding a KitchenAid mixer in addition to other heavy items on the same shelf, and tons of reviewers say they've been unable to load them so much that they no longer glide out easily with one finger!  Love them!

We wish we would've added them years ago is all I can say; they've made the bending over until you find something a lot quicker and easier, too. Plus Lynn (my housekeeper who installed them for me) cleaned out all three cabinets in the process, two in the island and the third to the right of my stove, where I have often-used condiments (various vinegars, syrups, honeys, cooking oils of every type ( Embarassed ), glazes, ketchup and all types of Asian oils, etc. The cabinet was not only over-stuffed but dirty on the bottom of both shelves from "someone" putting away bottles where stuff had dripped down the sides before cleaning off the bottle sides/bottom with a sponge.

I also went through one lower cabinet in the island to throw away storage containers we either no longer use or those whose tops that fitted them had vanished over time!  We keep a stack of the large sour cream containers with tops to pass along food items since they're big, come with their own tops that can be written on with a marker and don't need to be returned. I kept a small dozen of those and recycled the rest!

148AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Jake came over for shrimp & grits. It's what I planned to make for myself and then he came over to help me mow the grass. He's never had shrimp & grits but was willing to try. I only put 3 shrimp on his grits & bacon gravy, just in case. His other 7 shrimps went naked on a plate. Well, he ended up liking the meal and said he'd eat it anytime! Of course, he wasn't a bit sad he also had a plate of shrimps to eat plain.

I just KNEW Jake wouldn't turn his nose up at shrimp & grits!

bethk wrote:He even wanted to learn how to clean the shrimp......no problem, Buddy!  Fortunately, I had picked up some huge American Wild Caught and they were already split down the back and washed out. He just head to examine their little legs and pinch the tails off. What's really irritating is the shrimp were only $8.99 / lb at Kroger. We live within 2 hours of the ocean and they charge $11.99 for American Wild on sale.    I really miss Kroger!

Am curious, Beth -- were the shrimp peeled all the way or did Kroger just split down the back and devein them? And yes, I'm constantly wondering why you don't have access to not only Atlantic seafood but Gulf seafood, which is just as close, especially since Gulf shrimp and fish are not only plentiful but reasonably priced.

Wish we had Krogers down here as well; we're such a small market that we don't attract the groceries you guys are privy to.

149AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'm waiting this morning for him to get up (last day of summer vacation) to call me and let me know they're gone.....fingers crossed!

I was thinking the same thing when I read of his problem, Beth. Sure hope not. Someone I know is allergic to shrimp but her doctor gave her something she can take ahead of time if she knows she's going to eat them. She told a friend she doesn't use it often but I'd never heard of such a drug before. If it is an allergy, it may be just to shrimp and not other seafood -- hope it's not even shrimp! As seldom as I eat it, I'd hate being allergic to it.

150AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Looks super, Norm. I always wanted a bigger wok but never ordered one. I wish I had more storage and I'd get one tomorrow though I did end up getting one bigger than I used to use. It isn't carbon steel though but it came with two generously-sized steamer inserts (well, I got a second one for a pittance) and a nice big glass domed cover. Stainless steel though but it serves our current needs. It's probably good I don't have any more storage space available or I'd buy more "stuff" -- something I'm always tempted to do when it's useful in the kitchen!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum