Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OMG ~ So good to have you back, Michelle!  Your short ribs are one of my favorites, too.

You're so sweet, Beth. Thanks!

Our friend Pete called Brian this morning and gave me the BEST compliment ever on my short ribs. He said the one he had at Herbsaint, one of N.O.'s finer restaurants, had been the best he'd ever had. But he said MINE were better!!! I just about died, as the reason I began making braised short ribs was because Brian fell in love with the one served at Herbsaint. It's downtown so we stopped for drinks one night after he picked me up from work when we drove by it and saw a parking place right on the street. We looked at the menu while there and we each ordered an appetizer -- his being a braised short rib with dark, dark gravy and we both fell in love with it right there.

I found Donald Link's recipe online (he's the chef/owner, but he started it with Susan Spicer, the chef/owner of Bayona in the FQ but also has two smaller casual restaurants out by the lake) but I made a lot of changes. His uses lots of tomatoes but I only used 3 tablespoons of tomato paste in mind for flavor. He also strained the goodies (onions, celery, garlic, carrots, etc.) out of his but we like that stuff so we keep it in. For company, it might be better strained. The veggies were very soft of course but we don't care (Brian won't eat the carrots even if they weren't soft) 'cause we like 'em! His recipe also used a couple tablespoons of cane vinegar and cane syrup, too -- very interesting and very delicious but my wine/port/stock mixture tasted divine when reduced, too. I don't care for purchased beef stock so I usually use low sodium chicken stock, add very little salt until the dish is finished as I use a tablespoon or more of Better Than Bouillon beef base to make up for the chicken stock and it also adds color, too. I wished I'd saved the quart of homemade beef stock I let Brian use when he recently made boulettes but wishing ain't getting, you know?!

Like Donald Link, I usually make a horseradish sauce with the short ribs but forgot and Brian was so into them, he forgot too, as he usually asks me every time I make most beef dishes if I'm going to make some.

We gave Pete one of the HUGE short ribs; he said he saved half of it for another meal even though he said he could've finished it. He said he wanted to "taste it again" so he only ate half. They were so rich that I could barely finish one big one, too, but I managed to do it!!!

So I'm smiling today and basking in Pete's compliment. Brian is browning a Boston butt and I'm going to head downstairs as soon as this pain pill kicks in and make some mashed potatoes (there will be tons of gravy from the smothered pork roast so Brian will eat the potatoes), Brussel sprouts in the cast iron pan with bacon (or some pancetta if I still have it) and shallots, and a Creole tomato salad (peeled tomatoes as Creole's are known for kind of thick skin) with an oregano vinaigrette. Leftover peach pie for dessert MUCH later, oh and Brian bought some Blue Bell vanilla ice cream so it will be pie a la mode!

I guess I should've put this in the Fourth of July thread -- just remembered seeing it was started but I haven't gone there yet.

27 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I was in Katie's shed packing up loose ends. She is incapable of doing it herself. I was reaching for some baskets when 3 heavy mirrors that were leaning against the wall fell on me throwing me to the ground and pinning me underneath. Nice. No broken bones but have a few bruises.

God, Debbie -- I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. Hope you're feeling better. Is Katie disabled? Why couldn't she do it or at least help you?

Hey, what happened with the rent issue? I'm taking she agreed to the rent increase, a pittance compared to what you and your husband do for her, give to her and put up with! Please don't let her dogs ruin your new home, okay? Stick to your guns if she starts letting them urinate all over or leaves dirty pee pads around, okay? You guys seriously created a monster by letting her get away with all she put you through -- something tells me that we don't even know the half of it, too!

Are you all moved in now? I'm hoping to read that in the coming messages I haven't gotten to yet!

28 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I've been baking all day ~ pretty stupid when it's in the mid 90's, but I had to make peach pie for neighbor Tommy (posted in baking thread) and since I was using the last of his lemons from last growing season to keep the peaches from browning, I zested it and used the zest to make some lemon scones to wrap individually and stash in the freezer.  I like a glaze on them so I place them on a rack over my sink and drizzle away, knowing when they are dry and wrapped all I'll have to do is put some soapy water in the sink and wash it down.  

Love, love, love lemon scones, Beth, and yours look scrumptious! Does the glaze hold up well in the freezer? I'd have never thought to do that prior to freezing them but then I'd never put meat in a FoodSaver bag IN MARINADE before freezing until you told me you did that.

29 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, Tina must be feeling a lot better lately as she looks absolutely wonderful. Please tell her how much younger she looks -- and pretty as a lark, too!

Thanks Tina said, and added, chubby as a whale! ( Hey! she said it! )

She sure doesn't look chubby at all -- she looked way too thin before and she really does look so much younger now than older pictures you posted of her. Sometimes being too thin really doesn't look too good on an older person (and I'm an "older person" too so I can say that)! She looks absolutely fantastic lately -- she must be feeling better since she had that last surgery as it sure shows on her face!

30 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Happy Fourth of July! From your neighbour to the north!

Thanks, Lore! You're the best neighbor we could have, as is Canada. Too bad our country isn't acting like you are lately...

This year New Orleans is celebrating its 300th birthday! You'd laugh as when Hurricane Katrina happened, Jacques Chirac was president of France. As you may have read and seen on the news as that time, the country was not too pleased with our government's initial reaction -- I should say inaction -- after Katrina. When Mardi Gras rolled around the following year, it was a really big deal as when your city is pretty much almost destroyed, as it made all of us in N.O. wonder about what traditions would disappear and Mardi Gras, which is paid for BY THE PEOPLE and not the government, was one of those things people were so grateful to still have. Many, including me, had tears running down their faces as we stood watching the very first parade rolled -- just thinking about how these people paid dues and often spent thousands personally to ride in a parade, belong to a krewe and buy beads and trinkets, some of them quite costly, to throw to people. And these were people who'd lost EVERYTHING! Amazing but some traditions people just fought to keep -- Mardi Gras being one of them!

There's a terrific Mardi Gras micro krewe in N.O. known as Krewe du Vieux (as in Vieux Carre, Old Square, a/k/a French Quarter). “Micro-krewes” are smaller krewes devoted to niche interests and characterized by creative and quirky costuming, certainly not to be overshadowed by the massive and celebrity studded “super-krewes.” The smaller nature of these krewes creates a more inclusive environment, and the uniqueness of these parades provides just as much of a draw as the more mainstream parades. The Krewe du Vieux is one of the earliest parades of the New Orleans Carnival calendar. In the old tradition, it is noted for wild satirical and adult themes (best to leave the kids at home for this one), as well as for showcasing some of the best brass and traditional jazz bands in New Orleans. This krewe is composed of dozens of small groups of people, like different, clubs and they each have their own theme, which fits in with the central theme of the Krewe du Vieux that year. (They're the only parade that still marches through the French Quarter -- big ones being banned years ago due to the possibility of a fire occurring and keeping fire trucks and personnel from getting near the fire -- lots of the FQ buildings are connected, and if they're not, they look like they're connected as they're very close to one another.) Anyway, the theme for the Krewe du Vieux's first parade after Katrina was "C'est Levee." Technicallhy, that's French for it's lifted or it's thrown but here it means "It's the Levee" -- and it wasn't overtopped, one of them broke and turns out the Corps of Engineers made it improperly and lied about what they did at the time because they didn't do what they were supposed to do. At any rate, a sub-krewe in the Krewe du Vieux nearly killed us because THEIR theme, carried on signs and banners in front of their area of the parade marchers, was, get ready: Buy Us Back, Chirac!"

It has remained a statement we in Louisiana make as our state government continues to screw things up in our state! At least we still have a sense of humor, something pretty hard to dig up lately!!!

31 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Crybaby

Norm, what a handsome picture of Charlie -- he looks so debonair!

You seem to be having a good time changing your avatar lately -- and it sure has been fun seeing what or who will make an appearance.

Charlie really looks good there!

32 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:50 pm

NormM

Thanks Michelle.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

33 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm

bethk

Admin
Crybaby wrote:

Love, love, love lemon scones, Beth, and yours look scrumptious!  Does the glaze hold up well in the freezer? I'd have never thought to do that prior to freezing them but then I'd never put meat in a FoodSaver bag IN MARINADE before freezing until you told me you did that.  

Gosh, I've never thought NOT to freeze 'em that way! LOL

It was a simple glaze of lemon juice and powdered sugar, thicker more than thinner.....and once it was dried on the top of the scones I wrapped 'em and stashed them in a bag and into the freezer.

(and don't you just LOVE that marinade before freezing trick?? By the time the meat is thawed the flavor is sucked into the meat so much more than just letting it sit for an hour or even over night.)

34 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Niagara Visitor

New Orleans is definitely on my list of "gotta go there" but Mardi gras scares the be-jeesus out of me.  When I do come it will be for the food and the atmosphere.  Hopefully soon!

I need to find a group, perhaps a seniors' tour.

35 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:New Orleans is definitely on my list of "gotta go there" but Mardi gras scares the be-jeesus out of me.  When I do come it will be for the food and the atmosphere.  Hopefully soon!

Our best months, which of course means they're the most popular months, which in turn means you have to plan WAY ahead and you'll pay more for hotels, are April and October. The last week of April and the first week of May are when Jazz Fest is held (a three-day weekend first, and then a four-day weekend to finish). It's wonderful but often hot, takes a lot of walking and if you don't like crowds, it's not the place for you. But you can see all day music of all genres for a price lower than what you pay to see a super group these days. Brian and I can no longer go as it's too much walking, and it's on the infield of our racetrack so it's often bumpy walking. If it rains right before or during the Fest, it gets muddy, often real muddy, though they try to minimize it by spreading tons of hay on the low spots. You'd probably adore it, Lore, but you've got more stamina than most younger people do.  The week before Jazz Fest is French Quarter Fest, which is in the Quarter (lots of stages all over the place, and food booths, too, so you can sample a lot of pretty good N.O. and LA food). It too has become quite popular (it's free!) but it's spread over Friday, Sat., and Sunday and this past year, 'cause it's our birthday, they added Thursday and spread out some of the food area in an attempt to make it less crowded on the river, where most of the food booths are and where the big stage is. The nice thing about FQF is you can jump into a bar or restaurant whenever you want to relax or cool off if it's hot out.

But it's a lovely city to visit and most people find it like no place else -- much more of a European city many say than most American cities. Architecture to die for, with lots of attractions here besides the FQ, and close enough for a day trip and back if you want to see more of LA (our plantation homes, fishing charters, swamp tours, wildlife, etc.). We have one of the top rated museums in the U.S., the World War II Museum, which is beyond description; it uses lots of modern technology and has interactive films you can watch and buttons you can push to hear veterans describe what you're looking at in their own words, airplanes floating above your head and recently they added a refurbished LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel), or simply the "Higgins boat", or known to most of its users, "the boat that won the war," according to General Dwight D. Eisenhower. Andrew Higgins based his landing craft on boats made for operating in swamps and marshes. More than 23,000 of these boats were made here in N.O. and nearby by Higgins Industries and of course, most of you saw them when used to ferry troops on D Day at Normandy. Lots of the people working on building these boats 24 hours a day in several locations to crank them out quickly were women. There's a bayou, Bayou St. John, located not far from my high school where the boats were quickly tested before being shipped out by rail and sea. If you're interested, here's a super link about Higgins Industries:

https://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2011/11/1944_higgins_industries_in_new.html

One more thing about the museum. You can buy a commemorative brick for someone. If you know/love an elderly veteran, it makes a super gift as you can put their name, rank, etc. on it or whatever you want. Then when you or someone else visits, they will give you a map as to where your brick is located on the grounds (they keep expanding into more buildings).

National WWII Museum: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

French Quarter Festival: http://frenchquarterfest.org

N.O. Jazz Fest: http://frenchquarterfest.org

The food of course is something to be reckoned with, as everyone knows. I read years ago the average weight gain after a week in N.O. is seven pounds; I don't know how that data was gathered and whether or not I believe it but I so know one thing: IT'S HIGHLY POSSIBLE!  

What I've heard most often my whole life is how friendly people are here, and that I can vouch for. We look people in the eye on the street, say good morning and often you see someone approaching a stranger in the Quarter saying, "You look like you need some help..." And we ALL want to tell you what to see and more importantly, where to eat!  You really can get good food all over the place -- from a place serving out of a window in a non-tourist area, to our fine dining places, to just places that make a dynamite sandwich, not all of which are poor boys. It seems tourists even enjoy the food at places we don't frequent, as the food isn't very good. I guess it ranks good compared to what they're used to. I do find that we season food more than most places, and I don't just mean with heat. I'm amazed sometimes that lots of people cook with no seasonings other than salt and pepper, and not much of the latter!

I hope you make it down here one day, Lore, as I know you would not only love it but you're the type of person N.O. loves right back!

To you and everyone else who visits, I'd love meeting each and every one of you for drinks and appetizers. If I'm still up to it and it's not a bad time physically for me and Brian, I'd be happy to have you over for drinks and hors d'eouvres here so you can see what we see every day from our balcony -- another of N.O.'s treasures, the Mississippi River! Or if we both happen to be feeling really good, I'll prepare dinner for you and your guest(s) -- our dining table seats 6 so I draw the line there -- to prove to you even though I post no pictures, I'm a damn good cook.  

Thanks for listening to me brag about New Orleans, which I love dearly, along with all its flaws and warts, of which there are plenty. But like Brian says, if the climate was better and we didn't have all the problems that plague us, many of them self-inflicted, too many people would move here and ruin it.  Always makes me laugh...

36 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:New Orleans is definitely on my list of "gotta go there" but Mardi gras scares the be-jeesus out of me.  When I do come it will be for the food and the atmosphere.  Hopefully soon!

Our best months, which of course means they're the most popular months, which in turn means you have to plan WAY ahead and you'll pay more for hotels, are April and October. The last week of April and the first week of May are when Jazz Fest is held (a three-day weekend first, and then a four-day weekend to finish). It's wonderful but often hot, takes a lot of walking and if you don't like crowds, it's not the place for you. But you can see all day music of all genres for a price lower than what you pay to see a super group these days. Brian and I can no longer go as it's too much walking, and it's on the infield of our racetrack so it's often bumpy walking. If it rains right before or during the Fest, it gets muddy, often real muddy, though they try to minimize it by spreading tons of hay on the low spots. You'd probably adore it, Lore, but you've got more stamina than most younger people do.  The week before Jazz Fest is French Quarter Fest, which is in the Quarter (lots of stages all over the place, and food booths, too, so you can sample a lot of pretty good N.O. and LA food). It too has become quite popular (it's free!) but it's spread over Friday, Sat., and Sunday and this past year, 'cause it's our birthday, they added Thursday and spread out some of the food area in an attempt to make it less crowded on the river, where most of the food booths are and where the big stage is. The nice thing about FQF is you can jump into a bar or restaurant whenever you want to relax or cool off if it's hot out.

But it's a lovely city to visit and most people find it like no place else -- much more of a European city many say than most American cities. Architecture to die for, with lots of attractions here besides the FQ, and close enough for a day trip and back if you want to see more of LA (our plantation homes, fishing charters, swamp tours, wildlife, etc.). We have one of the top rated museums in the U.S., the World War II Museum, which is beyond description; it uses lots of modern technology and has interactive films you can watch and buttons you can push to hear veterans describe what you're looking at in their own words, airplanes floating above your head and recently they added a refurbished LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel), or simply the "Higgins boat", or known to most of its users, "the boat that won the war," according to General Dwight D. Eisenhower. Andrew Higgins based his landing craft on boats made for operating in swamps and marshes. More than 23,000 of these boats were made here in N.O. and nearby by Higgins Industries and of course, most of you saw them when used to ferry troops on D Day at Normandy. Lots of the people working on building these boats 24 hours a day in several locations to crank them out quickly were women. There's a bayou, Bayou St. John, located not far from my high school where the boats were quickly tested before being shipped out by rail and sea. If you're interested, here's a super link about Higgins Industries:

https://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2011/11/1944_higgins_industries_in_new.html

One more thing about the museum. You can buy a commemorative brick for someone. If you know/love an elderly veteran, it makes a super gift as you can put their name, rank, etc. on it or whatever you want. Then when you or someone else visits, they will give you a map as to where your brick is located on the grounds (they keep expanding into more buildings).

National WWII Museum: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

French Quarter Festival: http://frenchquarterfest.org

N.O. Jazz Fest: http://frenchquarterfest.org

The food of course is something to be reckoned with, as everyone knows. I read years ago the average weight gain after a week in N.O. is seven pounds; I don't know how that data was gathered and whether or not I believe it but I so know one thing: IT'S HIGHLY POSSIBLE!  

What I've heard most often my whole life is how friendly people are here, and that I can vouch for. We look people in the eye on the street, say good morning and often you see someone approaching a stranger in the Quarter saying, "You look like you need some help..." And we ALL want to tell you what to see and more importantly, where to eat!  You really can get good food all over the place -- from a place serving out of a window in a non-tourist area, to our fine dining places, to just places that make a dynamite sandwich, not all of which are poor boys. It seems tourists even enjoy the food at places we don't frequent, as the food isn't very good. I guess it ranks good compared to what they're used to. I do find that we season food more than most places, and I don't just mean with heat. I'm amazed sometimes that lots of people cook with no seasonings other than salt and pepper, and not much of the latter!

I hope you make it down here one day, Lore, as I know you would not only love it but you're the type of person N.O. loves right back!

To you and everyone else who visits, I'd love meeting each and every one of you for drinks and appetizers. If I'm still up to it and it's not a bad time physically for me and Brian, I'd be happy to have you over for drinks and hors d'eouvres here so you can see what we see every day from our balcony -- another of N.O.'s treasures, the Mississippi River! Or if we both happen to be feeling really good, I'll prepare dinner for you and your guest(s) -- our dining table seats 6 so I draw the line there -- to prove to you even though I post no pictures, I'm a damn good cook.  

Thanks for listening to me brag about New Orleans, which I love dearly, along with all its flaws and warts, of which there are plenty. But like Brian says, if the climate was better and we didn't have all the problems that plague us, many of them self-inflicted, too many people would move here and ruin it.  Always makes me laugh...

Thanks, there are definitely some things that I will want to see, but no matter how amazing the WWII museum is, that is definitely not on my agenda.  Remember, I'm German, and I heard all about it from my father.  However, he was a POW of the Americans in Paris, and he was treated very well.......... you 'mericans taught him to drive a truck for the army, eat peanut butter, and smoke cigarettes! LOL

I would not be looking for any particular festival, just want to experience the city and its food.

37 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:27 pm

bethk

Admin
Yesterday was 'eating out' day ~ Luncheon with the ladies at Chung's Chinese where I had my favorite Vegetable Lo Mein. For some reason they serve it on the luncheon special menu with some Pork Fried Rice....which I didn't eat. I always 'up grade' from the Wonton or Egg Drop Soup to their Hot & Sour Soup which is my favorite of the three offerings.

Then, for supper, I had planned to just have a baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon & chives ~ but then Lyn called and asked if I'd go to Americano's Restaurant with her so she could get a Greek Salad and a glass of wine. She's had a tough way to go lately with her 99 year old father and his 98 year old wife who refuses to accept help in the house or consider moving to assisted living. It's really getting to the point that Lyn and her sister(s) will need to make a decision for them as it's close to 'elder abuse' to allow them to struggle alone. So she just wanted to get out of the house (and away from the unsolicited advice) and be able to vent without criticism and eat a meal in relative peace. Hey, what are friends for? Of course I went and will eat my lonely baked potato for my supper tonight!

38 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Yesterday was 'eating out' day ~ Luncheon with the ladies at Chung's Chinese where I had my favorite Vegetable Lo Mein.  For some reason they serve it on the luncheon special menu with some Pork Fried Rice....which I didn't eat.  I always 'up grade' from the Wonton or Egg Drop Soup to their Hot & Sour Soup which is my favorite of the three offerings.  

Then, for supper, I had planned to just have a baked potato with butter, sour cream, bacon & chives ~ but then Lyn called and asked if I'd go to Americano's Restaurant with her so she could get a Greek Salad and a glass of wine.  She's had a tough way to go lately with her 99 year old father and his 98 year old wife who refuses to accept help in the house or consider moving to assisted living.  It's really getting to the point that Lyn and her sister(s) will need to make a decision for them as it's close to 'elder abuse' to allow them to struggle alone.  So she just wanted to get out of the house (and away from the unsolicited advice) and be able to vent without criticism and eat a meal in relative peace.  Hey, what are friends for?  Of course I went and will eat my lonely baked potato for my supper tonight!

She can call Adult Protective Services and have them evaluated. If they say they can't live alone, then they mean it and they will be forced into assisted living for their own good.

Moving day was horrific. The movers arrived at 8AM. They had the truck filled by 4PM. There wasn't enough room for a few things so we have the things over at our neighbors. We will have to drive back up in a week. They were running overtime so they moved in the furniture but unloaded all of the boxes in the garage. We now have to do the best we can to unpack one box at a time. Joe has a neck and back injury, My back and shoulder are hurting. Katie has a sore finger. Joe has been taking pain meds and now is sick with constipation. I went to CVS and loaded up on medicines to help him. Still plugged.
It is strange being in a new house. We have run into a bit of a problem though: we have an upstairs den and Katie can hear me on the phone and hear the TV. She wants me to go downstairs to talk on the phone and get earphones for the TV. I.....don't.....think.....so. She needs to get out of her vampire sleeping habits and get up in the daytime.
Supposed to be 112 today. YIKES!
Food has been fast food. I can't find my kitchen stuff and can't cook.

39 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:

Moving day was horrific. The movers arrived at 8AM. They had the truck filled by 4PM. There wasn't enough room for a few things so we have the things over at our neighbors. We will have to drive back up in a week. They were running overtime so they moved in the furniture but unloaded all of the boxes in the garage. We now have to do the best we can to unpack one box at a time. Joe has a neck and back injury, My back and shoulder are hurting. Katie has a sore finger. Joe has been taking pain meds and now is sick with constipation. I went to CVS and loaded up on medicines to help him. Still plugged.
It is strange being in a new house. We have run into a bit of a problem though: we have an upstairs den and Katie can hear me on the phone and hear the TV. She wants me to go downstairs to talk on the phone and get earphones for the TV. I.....don't.....think.....so. She needs to get out of her vampire sleeping habits and get up in the daytime.
Supposed to be 112 today. YIKES!
Food has been fast food. I can't find my kitchen stuff and can't cook.

There is something to be said about moving in one box at a time ~ IF you take the time to put it where it 'belongs' the first time you touch it. When you move stuff in and keep touching it and putting it one place and then another you get almost defeated before the job is done. Take your time and do what you can without killin' yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff. And everyone is hurting, (especially Katie, I see) so everyone will just have to fight through the pain and pitch in to get the job done.

Until it's all taken care of, let 'em go pick up fast food. They'll get tired of that in no time (you would think.....).

40 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:19 pm

NormM

Once when I moved, I had a really big garage and lots of extra room. I kept all the kitchen stuff in boxes in the garage and just got what I needed, when I needed it and then put it away in the kitchen. After a year, I put everything else in a garage sale and I still got rid of some stuff I ended up wishing I had kept.

41 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm

bethk

Admin
I had an easy supper.....Twice Bake Potato and Peas.

42 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm

NormM

NYT sends me an email once or twice a week with recipes. They usually block one and tell me that I can have full access if I subscribe (and pay money). When that happens and the blocked recipe is one I think I might want to try, I just google the recipe and find one with the same name at another place. This one is from Epicurious. It is peanut noodles with shrimp.

43 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks Good Beth and Norm!

My American Goulash was eH OK, but too thick saucy tomatoey.
I prefer something like that, more soupy.

Here it is. Thank god the neighbors are hungry. Haaaa!

44 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 pm

bethk

Admin
That looks like something the school cooks made in Ohio....it was called Johnny Marzetti. I have no idea where that name came from.

But their's was a baked version.

45 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:44 am

Niagara Visitor

Lake Erie perch and pickerel on the menu for tonight.  Son is having a fish fry. The weather has cooled down a bit, today the high only 77 F, and our humidity is gone.  For a couple of days.

46 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am

Bugster2

Yesterday it pegged out at 117. It was like walking into a blast furnace.
Joe has been having major bowl issues from some pain meds. I had him drink a bottle of saline laxative at noon. Hadn't worked by 6 so we went to the ER at 8pm and while we were standing there at the registration desk, the laxative took effect and a mad dash was made to the men's room. All is well now. No need to have medical intervention thank heavens. I was up at 4 am and went outside where it was 82. Hot. While I was out there I noticed a rooster crowing in the distance. Haven't heard one those in years. When we lived in Pasadena, it was common to hear and see peacocks. Dinner tonight will be Lean Cuisine. Joe has to eat 2 or 3 to feel full.

47 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:32 am

Niagara Visitor

Oh dear!  I can't imagine 117!  My hubby loved his sauna, used to set it at 50 C, that's 122 F.  We had a sauna in both houses that we owned, I think I was in each one maybe twice.  

There are feral peacocks in Surrey, BC (Just outside Vancouver).  They can apparently be very aggressive, they showed on our news a few weeks ago how they are damaging cars, nesting in trees etc.  One homeowner cut down a beautiful tree, because the birds are protected, but his tree wasn't and a few had decided to nest in the tree.  Apparently they have a beak very similar to parrots.

48 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm

bethk

Admin
Niagara Visitor wrote:Oh dear!  I can't imagine 117!  My hubby loved his sauna, used to set it at 50 C, that's 122 F.  We had a sauna in both houses that we owned, I think I was in each one maybe twice.  

There are feral peacocks in Surrey, BC (Just outside Vancouver).  They can apparently be very aggressive, they showed on our news a few weeks ago how they are damaging cars, nesting in trees etc.  One homeowner cut down a beautiful tree, because the birds are protected, but his tree wasn't and a few had decided to nest in the tree.  Apparently they have a beak very similar to parrots.

I hate to laugh, Lore, but that story reminded me of the opening scenes of the movie, "Steel Magnolias" where the Dad is shooting in the air to get all the birds from being in the backyard tree in anticipation of his daughter's wedding reception.

My sister-in-law's neighbors had peacocks and guinea hens....nasty creatures. Sames as when people have geese on the loose in their yard ~ they will chase you and nip....hurts a lot!

49 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

Geese are nasty.................. We had some and one of the ganders stuck his neck through the fence, our Siberian Husky, caught the neck and they had quite a struggle.  Hubby interveined, I have no idea who might have won otherwise. 

Son just texted me........... there will be some "extra" people at the fishfry, so mom????Veggies and dip possible???  DIL was smart, she's gone for the weekend. LOL

50 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:31 pm

bethk

Admin
And, of course, Lore, you were more than happy to oblige and will, more than likely, take another side or two.....

It's such a good feeling to be wanted ~ ~ even if it's just because you bring good stuff to eat!!!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum