Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 11]

126 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:32 pm

NormM

No cooking today. We had DYI sandwiches instead

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

127 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:No cooking today. We had DYI sandwiches instead

Boy, that layout is surely a treat. What huge shrimp in that black boat container. Or is it lobster tails?

128 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Bugster2

Grilled cheese and a bite of taquito that set my gut on fire. It tasted sooo good! I just can't tolerate any heat.

129 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 am

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Imelda, here is the recipe from King Arthur flour upon which I base mine. small print are changes I make

CLASSIC SOURDOUGH BREAD

STIR SOURDOUGH STARTER TO MIX IT WITH THE LIQUID WHICH HAS FORMED OVER IT. Pour off the liquid REMOVE 1 CUP OF THE STARTER AND REPLACE IT WITH 1 CUP OF FLOUR DISSOLVED IN 1 CUP OF WATER. I use less than 1 cup of water but usually more than half a cup LEAVE IT SETTING OUT, COVERED, 18- 24 HOURS. COVER STARTER AND REFRIGERATE i do not refrigerate it unless I plan to not use it for a while. Otherwise i feed  it about once every 9 to 10 days.

1 C. SOURDOUGH STARTER
1 1/3 C. WARM WATER
5-6 CUPS UNBLEACHED ALLPURPOSE FLOUR It never takes 6 cups to form the dough as I make it and almost never needs as much as 5 cups.
1 T. SALT i usually use a scant Tablespoon salt
1 T. SUGAR (OPTIONAL) i always use sugar
1 t. BAKING SODA It does not hurt to leave this out
CORNMEAL TO SPRINKLE ON PANS. I use a french bread pan and spray it with oil.

THE SPONGE:  POUR 1 CUP STARTER INTO A LARGE CERAMIC BOWL.  ADD THE WARM WATER AND ABOUT 3 CUPS FLOUR. BEAT VIGOROUSLY WITH A SPOON OR WIRE WHISK. COVER SPONGE WITH PLASTIC WRAP AND SET ASIDE FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS AND AS MANY AS 24 HOURS. I omit this step. Instant yeast will start to raise the dough almost immediately
THE DOUGH:  AFTER THE SPONGE HAS BUBBLED AND EXPANDED, REMOVE THE PLASTIC WRAP.   TO ABOUT 2 CUPS OF FLOUR,  ADD THE SALT, SUGAR, AND BAKING SODA. STIR THIS INTO THE SPONGE UNTIL IT LEAVES THE SIDE OF THE BOWL. TURN OUT ONTO A FLOURED SURFACE AND KNEAD 4 TO 5 MINUTES. ADD FLOUR AS NEEDED TO MAKE A FAIRLY STIFF DOUGH.  I add all the ingredients to the sponge, adding the yeast to the first cup of flour and the salt to the second cup. It almost always takes less than the full amount of flour when using a stand mixer before the flour leaves the bottom of the bowl clean and the dough comes together to form a ball. I leave the mixer running for a few minutes to continue to knead the dough.
GIVE THE DOUGH A REST WHILE YOU CLEAN OUT AND GREASE YOUR BOWL. CONTINUE KNEADING FOR ANOTHER 3-4 MINUTES. PLACE THE DOUGH IN THE BOWL AND TURN IT OVER TO GREASE THE TOP. COVER IT WITH PLASTIC AGAIN AND LET IT RISE FOR ANOTHER 2-4 HOURS. THIS SECOND RISING CAN BE SKIPPED BUT THE SECOND RISING WILL GIVE THE BREAD MORE FLAVOR. Since the flavor comes from the sourdough yeast, I find it unnecessary for the second rise since the dough will not really gain any more flavor from the instant yeast in the second rise. It takes 2 hours tops for the first rise. Usually less time.  
SHAPING AND BAKING:  KNOCK DOWN THE DOUGH AND SHAPE IT INTO TWO LONG FRENCH BREAD ROLLS. PLACE ON A CORNMEAL SPRINKLED COOKIE SHEET, COVER AND LET RISE FOR ANOTHER 2 HOURS  OR SO.
TOWARD THE END OF THE RISING PERIOD, PREHEAT OVEN TO 450 DEGREES I bake at 430 degreese. AND BEGIN HEATING A KETTLE OF WATER ON YOUR STOVE. I usually forget to add steaming water to the oven. JUST BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN THE OVEN SLASH THE TOPS OF THE BREAD DIAGONALLY WITH A KNIFE ABOUT 2 INCHES APART AND ABOUT 1/4 INCH DEEP AND BRUSH WITH COLD WATER OR, FOR A SHINY CRUST, BRUSH THEM WITH A WASH OF EGG MIXED WITH WATER. ALSO FOR A FESTIVE LOOK SPRINKLE THEM WITH SESAME OR POPPY SEEDS.
PLACE A PAN IN THE OVEN BOTTOM AND POUR IN 3 OR 4 CUPS OF BOILING WATER. PUT THE LOAVES ON THE RACK OVER THE STEAMING WATER, CLOSE THE OVEN AND BAKE FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES. THE CRUST WILL BE VERY HARD WHEN YOU REMOVE THE BREAD FROM THE OVEN BUT IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES THE CRUST WILL CHEWY AND CRACKLING. TO KEEP THE CRUST CRUNCHY, LEAVE THE BREAD IN THE OVEN WITH THE OVEN OFF FOR ANOTHER 5 MINUTES.  I put a probe thermometer in the crust after the bread has baked about 10 minutes and take it out when it reads 190 degrees which is usually only a few more minutes... less than 5 more minutes. The bread crust will soften after cooling, unless you leave it in the oven as the directions say.

Thank you Norm, I'm going to try making it, I need to get the sourdough yeast from my mother in-law

130 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:No cooking today. We had DYI sandwiches instead

Boy, that layout is surely a treat. What huge shrimp in that black boat container. Or is it lobster tails?

You are welcome Imelda. Thanks Jimmy.  Those are just croissants.

131 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:We have been living on sandwiches with an occasional burger thrown in. How I crave a decent meal!
Still unpacking. Hauling stuff upstairs is really hard. I have been sore as hell. I just noticed tonight that my ankle is swollen but no pain. Edema. Now, what is causing it? I guess I need a trip to the doctor but I don't have one in this town.
The house came with a BBQ. OCS. Outdoor Cooking Solutions. It is a stainless built into a bar/island. It is by far the filthiest BBQ I have ever seen. It has 4 inches of carbon/food crumbs on the bottom. I don't believe it has ever been cleaned. I went through a can of Easy Off grill cleaner already and have barely put a dent in the grease and crust. I have to go out and buy 4 more cans.
Does anyone know of a better grill cleaner?

Yes. Krud Kutter. Doesn't hurt your hands, is not harmful to breathe and cuts grease like you wouldn't believe!

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

132 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Belated good wishes from me. And I like your kitty avatar, too.

133 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:04 pm

NormM

Thank you Michelle. The kitty was on a Birthday card. Inside it said Do you know how fast you went over that hill?

134 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:42 pm

bethk

Admin
NormM wrote:Thank you Michelle. The kitty was on a Birthday card. Inside it said Do you know how fast you went over that hill?

Hahahahahahaha!

135 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm

bethk

Admin
Easy Peasy supper ~ One pot meal.....ham, potatoes, green beans & onion. Oh, and I started with about 3 slices of bacon rendered down a bit to give some smokey flavor to the water everything was cooked in. It may not be pretty but someone sitting at my table ate two huge platefulls without even saying a word.....he was too busy shoveling it in! LOL

136 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Easy Peasy supper ~ One pot meal.....ham, potatoes, green beans & onion.  Oh, and I started with about 3 slices of bacon rendered down a bit to give some smokey flavor to the water everything was cooked in.  It may not be pretty but someone sitting at my table ate two huge platefulls without even saying a word.....he was too busy shoveling it in!  LOL

I could taste the smokiness from here! Ummm!

137 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Tuna w spaghetti .... Step by Step Recipe

Oil in a skillet to cover, then... add 1 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs...

Stir crumbs over medium heat till browned, then add 2 garlic cloves minced fine. Add to crumbs and heat on low.

Add 2 cans tuna in oil ( do not drain ), and stir all together until
all heated through.

Cook the spaghetti ( I use regular #8 or # 9 size spaghetti ).

Add the tuna and crumb mixture to 1/2 lb. of a box cooked / drained spaghetti, and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve with fresh lemon wedges, or lemon juice.

Now, this is a little on the dry side. I add a little olive oil just to moisten it a bit....
I love a lot of lemon juice added to it as I eat it.

138 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Wednesday supper...... Free Roamer Hot Wings....in the Oster electric Oven for 6 hours at 230ºF

Corn on the cob.... ( again )

139 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:59 pm

bethk

Admin
Tonight is 'clean out the refrigerator'......

I'm having leftovers from last night.  He's having a tuna sandwich.  I sure wish one of us was hungry for a bunch of celery.....

We're leaving in the morning for our (hopefully) last trip to the Ohio house.  They're coming on Monday and Tuesday to do the new HVAC and then I'll call the real estate agent to get it on the market.

So, I'll probably be gone about a month.  Jimmy ~ you're in charge.  *Isn't it always the oldest kid who gets told that???  

I'll try to check in once in a while from the iPad or phone.  I know there won't be any pics ~ I've never figured out how to do that without my pc.

Keep your fingers crossed for me (I sure hope this all works out the way we hope).

140 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight is 'clean out the refrigerator'......

I'm having leftovers from last night.  He's having a tuna sandwich.  I sure wish one of us was hungry for a bunch of celery.....

We're leaving in the morning for our (hopefully) last trip to the Ohio house.  They're coming on Monday and Tuesday to do the new HVAC and then I'll call the real estate agent to get it on the market.

So, I'll probably be gone about a month.  Jimmy ~ you're in charge.  *Isn't it always the oldest kid who gets told that???  

I'll try to check in once in a while from the iPad or phone.  I know there won't be any pics ~ I've never figured out how to do that without my pc.

Keep your fingers crossed for me (I sure hope this all works out the way we hope).

Tina said, "Throw the celery in baggies add water and freeze for when you make soups and stews. hahahahaa

141 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken wings .... Corn and all in the tummy now!

142 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Niagara Visitor

Cheese and crackers last night, nothing special the night before, so I decided that I really need to get back on track.  

Stopped at a small local shop that has amazing meats, and bought some schnitzels.  I'll have one tonight with a nice big salad.  Unfortunately, some of those 30 pounds I lost last year have found me again.......... It's tough.  I hear so many people say that they don't like their own cooking........ I love mine.  

Should I make stuff I don't like in order to keep the pounds away???? LOL

143 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza from Schooley's Mountain General Store in Long Valley, NJ.
It was great!.....

144 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am

bethk

Admin
We got to Ohio about 5:30 last night, traffic was horrible. When it's time to go home I'll make the huge sacrifice to fly.....

DD#2 cooked supper, baked chicken thighs, sautéed zucchini and rice. It was nice not having to deal with finding food and unpacking the car. I went to the store this morning and got enough for a couple weeks of cooking. I have a feeling Jacob will be here for quite a few meals so I got stuff I know he likes. The meat and produce is so much cheaper here.

The weather is overcast and misting.....cool. It'll be good to use the oven without the a/c coming on, which is a good thing since they are tearing it out on Monday.

Now on to the daunting task of cleaning.....

145 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We got to Ohio about 5:30 last night, traffic was horrible. When it's time to go home I'll make the huge sacrifice to fly.....

DD#2 cooked supper, baked chicken thighs, sautéed zucchini and rice.  It was nice not having to deal with finding food and unpacking the car.  I went to the store this morning and got enough for a couple weeks of cooking. I have a feeling Jacob will be here for quite a few meals so I got stuff I know he likes.  The meat and produce is so much cheaper here.  

The weather is overcast and misting.....cool.  It'll be good to use the oven without the a/c coming on, which is a good thing since they are tearing it out on Monday.  

Now on to the daunting task of cleaning.....

So when does cleaning start? Monday? or are you NOT resting and using the week end to start scrubbing and cleaning?

146 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Chicken wings .... Corn and all in the tummy now!

Those look delicious, Jimmy!  Did you make those in the oven, as they sure look nice and crispy like they turn out when made on the grill!

Edit: I just read back and saw "Free Roamer Hot Wings....in the Oster electric Oven for 6 hours at 230ºF." I didn't even know what that was so I googled it. I imagine you've had it for a while -- is it like an electric roaster, Jimmy?

At any rate, they sure look good!

147 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:... Unfortunately, some of those 30 pounds I lost last year have found me again.......... It's tough.  I hear so many people say that they don't like their own cooking........ I love mine.  

Should I make stuff I don't like in order to keep the pounds away???? LOL

I really laughed at this, Lore, as we like our own cooking, too! It's why I used to skip lunch when I was working -- I rarely left the office for lunch and it only took a second to say no when someone was heading out to get food to bring back to the office, or to decide I wasn't going out myself. Of course, in the evening, the refrigerator was there all night so it wasn't as easy to avoid snacking. People always say you shouldn't skip meals but it worked out for me, as it allowed me to make a nice dinner for us at night and not worry too much about how caloric it was.

These days we usually head upstairs after dinner and we eat a lot earlier than we used to, a habit that developed with terrible back pain, as at the end of the day when you were exhausted and our backs were really killing us, we wanted to go up our very steep stairs while we still could! We're still in that habit even though we've had the stairlift for several months (and what a joy it is to use that thing at the end of the day instead of walking up, plus I can carry a couple of things with me as I ride up as I don't have to have a hand the bannister for safety). When I'm in bed, I can change my position often to alleviate the pain I'm in -- I have several big tight pillows I can move around to support my back (unlike a pile of down pillows, which I also use, the tight pillows will not move once you get them in a position you like), or I can lie down, or I can sit on the side of the bed with my legs off the side, or I can sit up and prop my legs up on a nearby chair. When I'm in a lot of pain and there's not much more I can do as I've taken my pain pill, changing my position often seems to keep me from losing my mind! Sometimes when I'm really hurting, it takes hours before I find a position that alleviates my pain for a while. Luckily, Brian, too, gets a lot of relief at the end of the day by getting in bed as well.

148 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Crybaby

Beth, I didn't know you needed a whole new air conditioning/heating system. Was it just age that did the old one in, or had it needed more repairs than was justified? I'm curious as ours are getting really old.

We'll be here 20 years next month and though our home was newly renovated when we bought it, the first time I had someone look at the central AC units (we have two, one for upstairs and one for down), they told me the units weren't new so the guy who renovated the house (he was from Memphis and this was to be a second home for him; he must've discovered the price of vacancy insurance and quickly sold it after completing the renovation and furnishing it) must've used ones he had or else just purchased used ones to use. The AC man told me they were nice units so I shouldn't worry. I guess he was right, as they're both still going strong.

When we bought the whole house generator, as a part of their estimate, the companies all took note of our HVAC units to note the size of them in determining how big (wattage) we needed to power our whole house. The company we eventually selected to purchase our Generac generator and install it had a salesman we really fell in love with. John made me laugh, as he told me the owner grinned when he saw the age of our units, as he hoped he'd get our business when we replaced them as he figured it wouldn't be long (it's been two years in September since then -- haha!). I laughed too but said a quick prayer hoping they didn't break right after we'd spent the money for the generator! So pleased with the generator installation and the monitoring service they provide that I probably will call them for a bid when the systems need replacing. It was the only company out of three that didn't try to sell us a bigger generator than was warranted by the size of our home. I'd already used the estimator Generac had on their website to determine what we needed so I knew what size I should get. Of course, I didn't tell any of the salesman, including the one I went with, that I'd already reliably determined that. (It was stupid, too, as a larger unit really wasn't that much more to spend so I didn't know why they'd do that. The bulk of the expense for the generator was the installation, something I really didn't know when I began educating myself on them a couple of years before we bought one.)

But not only did our salesman John recommend the size that the Generac estimator recommended, but he explained why we didn't need a bigger one. We have a gas stove, gas oven, gas water heater, gas clothes dryer and central gas heat. He also noticed that when we met with him in our living room, and moved into the kitchen as the meeting progressed, that we had no lights on in either of those rooms -- I'd never even realized that we used so little electric light during the day, as our house really does get a lot of light. He pointed out that when we were out of power, so much of our power use would be using gas rather than electric, so there was no need to buy a bigger unit than he recommended.

One thing John did tell me, though, that is something to look forward to. He told me the new units are so much more efficient than the old ones and that our utility bill will probably go down once we do have to get new units. So THAT is something I can look forward to when the day finally comes and I'm fussing about the monetary expense...

149 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thank you Michelle. The kitty was on a Birthday card. Inside it said Do you know how fast you went over that hill?

Good one!

150 Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Crybaby

We have a gorgeous Thai basil bush growing in our raised garden -- it's really a pretty plant, as it's perfectly round and cute and is now about 2 feet high. I almost ordered one this year as I'd never seen it sold locally but on a trip to Home Depot to buy paint for our living room, I saw a small one several months ago and bought it.  It's done really well in our hot climate. A Vietnamese friend of mine told me recently that I should've just kept one of the sprigs contained in the box of "stuff" that comes with pho when we get it for take out. She said it grows easily from a sprig just stuck in dirt.

I've been dying to use some of that Thai basil so I decided to take a stab at making some spicy Thai chicken. I read over a bunch of recipes on the internet and began this the other day. I normally keep a steno pad on the side of the stove if I'm making something new so I can make it the same way a second time if it comes out really good, as lots of times I forget what the heck I did the next time I want to make it!  Plus Brian likes me to write things down so he can make them down the line if he wants to. He reminded me to write this one down after I started because he thought the sauce smelled so good. So I guesstimated what I'd done so far.  It turned out really, really good -- I know most people would add chopped peanuts to a dish like before serving but we don't like peanuts in entrees so if you do, go ahead and chop some peanuts to add.  I used 6 chicken thighs so we'd have enough for a day or more of leftovers.

Spicy Thai Chicken

1 Tablespoon ghee
1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
About 2 Tablespoons Creole seasoning
2 large shallots, finely chopped
3 to 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Chicken broth, if needed
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Chiffonade of 4 or 5 Thai basil leaves
Sauce:
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fish sauce (or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste)
1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon lime zest, added to taste
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
Sambal oelek, to taste (I probably used a Tablespoon or two)
Several sprigs of Thai basil

1. Preheat oven to 400⁰F. To make the sauce, whisk together chili sauce, soy sauce, garlic, fish sauce, ginger, lime juice, Sriracha and sambal oelek in a small bowl. After tasting, I added a bit of lime zest. Add sprigs of Thai basil and set aside.
2. Melt ghee and grapeseed oil in a large cast iron over medium high heat. Season chicken, and add to skillet skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add shallots and sliced garlic and cook until shallots are tender. Stir in chili sauce mixture. I wanted a little more sauce so I added a small bit of chicken broth at this point.
3. Place pan into oven and roast until cooked through, about 25-30 minutes or until reaching an internal temperature of 165⁰F. Then put pan under the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and the chiffonade of Thai basil.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum