Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had an English Muffin with my coffee this morning and just gave myself a mid-morning boost while doing laundry with a little jar of OUI Peach Yogurt.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a Thomas' toasted bagel; spread heavily with cream cheese and locs .

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made a big fat "burrito" for Dirk, I made crepe using 2 eggs for the wrapper, the filling was leftover mashed potato, breakfast sausage, cheese and cilantro, he cleaned his plate

July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Dscn1016
July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Dscn1017

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, you SPOIL that man! And he's loving every bite!

You'd never know it was leftovers.....looks like you planned every ingredient. Good job.

5July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had an English Muffin with my coffee this morning and just gave myself a mid-morning boost while doing laundry with a little jar of OUI Peach Yogurt.

That's the yogurt Tina Loves The peach is her favorite. They come in those glass jars, and she makes jello and puts the jello in those yogurt jars.
Well, I did research, and found perfect fitting lids from PetCo pet food supply on line.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/harmony-mini-food-lid

July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Img_1016

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add link)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always thought they could charge even more if they had included a screw top or 'gripper' lid. But let's face it ~ I don't need any more 'hoarded' glass containers in my cabinets.

7July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I always thought they could charge even more if they had included a screw top or 'gripper' lid.  But let's face it ~ I don't need any more 'hoarded' glass containers in my cabinets.
Ha Ha Ha..... you're right.
Tina is saving them for the kids for when they make jello. They said,"We
buy the jello already made in the pack of containers!"

How about that?

8July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I rest my case.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Alice's eggs today, with whole wheat toast.

Eggs.... like 6 in the blender, onion pureed; added water and a little flour

Thinly spread and cooked in 5 or 6 inch thin round crepes.

10July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:38 pm

NormM

NormM

Lunch was done in the smoker today. It was steelhead trout, corn and tomato topped with bread crumbs and butter.

July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch 20180725
July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch 20180726

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

11July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had a Thomas' toasted bagel; spread heavily with cream cheese and locs .

Cute story here about Thomas' bagels.When my daughter was about 12/13 her thing in cooking was to make tuna melts on a bagel for herself and her brothers.  Apparently the bagels were not sliced to her satisfaction, one side being thicker than the other.  She wrote a letter to them and received a very nice letter of apology from them and some really good coupons!  That was 40  years ago!

12July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had a Thomas' toasted bagel; spread heavily with cream cheese and locs .

Cute story here about Thomas' bagels.When my daughter was about 12/13 her thing in cooking was to make tuna melts on a bagel for herself and her brothers.  Apparently the bagels were not sliced to her satisfaction, one side being thicker than the other.  She wrote a letter to them and received a very nice letter of apology from them and some really good coupons!  That was 40  years ago!

Laughed, as I don't think there's a time when I wrote a letter to a company that they DIDN'T respond with some kind of lagniappe! I wrote a letter to a cigarette company when I was young telling them I'd gotten a pack that contained several cigarettes without filters on them -- they sent me four free packs of cigarettes! Am smiling, as with what cigarettes cost today, that would be quite a pricey gift. I'm sure they're even more expensive in Canada as I was shocked to hear how much a Canadian paid about 25 years ago.

Several months ago I went online looking for coupons for Carnation Breakfast Essentials Nutritional Drink, the small plastic "cans" that are sold in a 6-pack, not the powdered mix. Brian was severely underweight and though I'd been buying a lot of different brands like Boost, the Carnation one had a whopping 15 grams of protein per drink, and lots of calcium, and lots of vitamins and minerals. Though this brand was available at the military Base, we don't go there as often as we do the grocery, most of which carried the powdered mix instead of the little cans. So I was always on the lookout for that brand when I stopped anywhere, even in a convenient store.

A six-pack runs about $7.70 or a bit more so I was decided to see if I could get some coupons for it. I rarely use coupons but lots of times when I went to the drugstore to pick up an Rx, I'd find the Carnation brand there so I figured I'd try to get some coupons because drugstores aren't known for their great prices.

When I went on the Carnation Breakfast Essentials website, to get coupons you had to put in a phone number and they would text you coupons. Well, we don't have smart phones thus we don't text so I wrote a note in their "Contact" area and told them my husband had cancer, had lost a lot of weight and I preferred their brand because of the high protein, vitamins and minerals and most importantly, because my picky eater husband really liked the way their brand tasted and had begun not only drinking one every morning when I brought him one with his coffee, but he'd often grab one during the day and the evening, too. I asked if they could possibly email me a couple of coupons instead of texting them. A sweet lady repsponded that they were unable to email coupons but would drop some in the mail to me (I'd had to provide my address when using their Contact area on the website).

In less than a week, an envelope containing eight coupons arrived -- six of them were for $1.00 off a six-pack, and two of them were for a FREE six-pack of Carnation's Breakfast Essentials! I was really surprised at their generosity -- about $15.40 in free product, and another $6 off future purchases!

13July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:46 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your smoked trout looked delicious!

I sure do wish Brian liked seafood. Not only would it diversify what I could cook, but I'm sure I don't get enough seafood in my diet.

Your Smokey the Cat avatar sure seemed appropriate with your smoked lunch photos, too!

14July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is one for calling the company's about issues with their products.
I remember when she called Duncan Hines when they reduced the amount of cake mix in the box. And Mueller macaroni products when the reduced the elbow macaroni amount to 13 ounces from 16 originally.
I think she just got some coupons for free cake mix, and nothing for the macaroni products.

15July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:57 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Michelle.

16July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thank you Michelle.

You'd laugh, but it looks so good I keep going back to look at it again. I love how you used both thinly sliced onions and lemons on top. I swear, I think I can taste it!

17July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina is one for calling the company's about issues with their products.
I  remember when she called Duncan Hines when they reduced the amount of cake mix in the box. And Mueller macaroni products when the reduced the elbow macaroni amount to 13 ounces from 16 originally.
I think she just got some coupons for free cake mix, and nothing for the macaroni products.

Good for her, Jimmy!  I'm a firm believer in contacting a company when I'm ticked off when they change a product that I love but I try to take the time to contact them when I'm tickled pink with their product, too. I usually do it in writing so I can send the same email again if I expect a response, even it's a form response, and don't get one.  

I sent a couple of emails to a local company a couple of years ago around Thanksgiving for changing their "stuffing mix," which was a bag of torn up French bread and lots of Thanksgiving type seasonings. I never followed their stuffing directions but just used it in my own oyster dressing -- just used it like you would chunky bread in stuffing. That year, we had a very hard time finding it at the grocery. I finally checked online and called the company and Brian, who was on his way to a third grocery to look for it, headed to the Wal-Mart they said had it, after I called to ensure they did have it. I told him to get four bags of it, as I usually stocked up at that time of year so I had it on hand to use anytime I made any type of stuffing.

When I walked into the kitchen and spied the four bags on the counter, I could already tell from a distance they'd changed it. The random torn up stale pieces of French bread were gone -- the bag contained tiny little uniform squares of hard bread, the same type you see in Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix and I don't like those small pieces. I think the stuffing tends to get too "wet" when I use those. I was furious that they changed it as I definitely would've purchased many bags and sealed them up with the FoodSaver had I known they were changing it!

When I telephoned the company, the same company that makes the fresh French bread I've been using since childhood (Leidenheimer), they seemed surprised as the lady told me they'd changed it over a year ago. I told her I stocked up and bought 4 or 5 bags of it during the holidays so I had plenty to use year round; obviously, I hadn't purchased any the first year they changed it.

From that day on, we pick up a bag or two of the French bread ends and pieces that the little convenient a half-mile away from us sells. That's the place I talk about that sells wonderful inexpensive poor boys. Well, they sell the ends and pieces they end up with scraps from the long loaves of Leidenheimer bread they have delivered every day. They put it in a big plastic bag and sell them for $2.00, after selling them for a dollar for years. It's a decent amount of French bread, stale but not so dry it crumbles -- enough to make two big 9x13-inch pans of bread pudding, something else we use it for.

I break up the bagged bread into pieces of various sizes for my stuffing. I also ground up the bag of tiny cube bread (I have four big bags to use up!) in the food processor and use about 1/4 to 1/2 of it in my dressing, depending on how much dressing I'm making, as I just love the way that the stuffing mix was seasoned when I used it. Of course, I add my own dried and fresh herbs when making stuffing, too, but am used to that base of seasoning I would get with that stuffing mix.

The upshot is I now knew why we had such a hard time finding it. Since it was the second year since they changed it, I guess it sold so lousy the first year that stores either failed to stock it the following year. I told the lady when I called (AND wrote!) that if I wanted something like that, I could've been using Pepperidge Farm for years but instead, I liked and purchased/ supported the locally made product!  As you can probably tell, I'm STILL ticked about it!!!

Edit: I probably fussed about this at the time, so please forgive me if you guys heard this rant over a year ago! clown clown clown clown clown

18July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

NormM

NormM

I have two old cookbooks called Brand Name Cook Book and the same thing the next year called BNCB Two. They published recipes printed on the back labels of products. Well I should just throw them both away because everything has changed portion size and/or ingredients so they don't work anymore.

19July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:I always thought they could charge even more if they had included a screw top or 'gripper' lid.  But let's face it ~ I don't need any more 'hoarded' glass containers in my cabinets.
Ha  Ha  Ha..... you're right.
Tina is saving them for the kids for when they make jello. They said,"We
buy the jello already made in the pack of containers!"

How about that?  

I didn't have a clue that you could purchase Jello already made!

20July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soon we will have waffles from my yeast raised batter. Made a double batch last night so the kids can come for waffles......
They just woke up at 9 so the texted and said they should be here at 10............
................................................................hmmm ..... still waiting ...........................................................................................................................................................................nighty night.... Sleep

21July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Waffles were excellent.

The kids enjoyed them.

For lunch, Tina made a bologna and cheese with mustard on whole wheat bread for me.

22July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Empty Re: July, 2018 Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I started the August 2018 Breakfast thread already.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum