Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I cooked eggs and Tina fried bacon. I had rye bread toasted with butter till it soaked it all up! Ummmm!

Looks like a smiley face! hahaaha

It does indeed, Jimmy. The only change I'd make is my smiley face would have its eyes wide open -- big sunny side-up runny egg yolks! Yummy. Made me want breakfast food.

P.S. Brian loves rye toast, too.

27 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 3:51 pm

bethk

Admin
Yeah, rye bread is 'old people's' choice......

Hahahaahhaahhaahahaha!

(and, YES, it's a favorite at my house, too. I even like ORANGE MARMALADE on my English Muffins ~ talk about 'old people's' food......)

28 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Yeah, rye bread is 'old people's' choice......

Hahahaahhaahhaahahaha!

(and, YES, it's a favorite at my house, too.  I even like ORANGE MARMALADE on my English Muffins ~ talk about 'old people's' food......)

Like I said, BRIAN likes rye bread, Beth, not ME!!  

Seriously, though, I eat rye bread but it's not one of my favorites. He doesn't buy it very often anymore as he would always let it get moldy by eating all of the white bread and "forgetting" he'd bought rye. I'd laugh as it was sitting right next to the loaf of white bread he used.  I told him I'd freeze some of it if he wanted but he turned his nose up at that and rarely buys it anymore. Love it with corned beef or pastrami best but it's just not one of my favorite things, especially if it has lots of caraway seeds in it.

I did purchase a lot of ingredients years ago to make rye bread. I'd regularly make both rye and pumpernickel in my bread machine for Brian. I still have that puppy and still use it, though not half as often as I used to. He loves when I make that cranberry orange bread in it (makes great toast and has great crumb, too) -- and I use OLD PEOPLE ORANGE MARMALADE to make it with, too, Beth!!!

Now pumpernickel I love -- and what's wrong with orange marmalade?!  I love it. I even like cream cheese spread on pumpernickel. Brian likes toasted pump and toasted rye but the pump seems to dry out too much for me when toasted.

But if it's in the bread family, I will usually eat it! Wink

29 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 5:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We love rye bread. Tina's father was a master brewmaster and baker.
He worked for a Jewish Bakery, and made the rye bread. His recipe was only kept by his memory, and was taken with him to the grave. On the weekends and or special holidays, the owner of the bakery had to look for him, in the area bars, and sober him up so he could make the rye bread. The bad caricature of alcohol, was his family. He was dead at 52 y/o. liver failure!.......

The rye was a crisp dark brown shiny crust, and you could smell the aroma.

We would take slices, and toast them, then buttered and finally cut into 3/4" wide strips. There would be a big bowl of them, and as we watched TV, we would eat them, and at the same time, fight for those end slices with the extra crust.
Our fingers were buttered, and there was a lot of lip smacking. The bowl has all those caraway seeds, and Tina yells at me, because I finger press the seeds, and pop them in my mouth, and crush them with my front teeth like a canary.....

30 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Crybaby

Wow, Jimmy, that sounds mouth-watering good! So sad he had such a problem. Really sad he didn't leave the recipe too.

I've got to admit it tastes better right out of the oven (or breadmaker), too, as does any kind of bread. And it's hard to resist the smell of bread baking.

Wish I could've tried Tina's dad's rye bread! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

31 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Wow, Jimmy, that sounds mouth-watering good!  So sad he had such a problem. Really sad he didn't leave the recipe too.

I've got to admit it tastes better right out of the oven (or breadmaker), too, as does any kind of bread. And it's hard to resist the smell of bread baking.

Wish I could've tried Tina's dad's rye bread! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah!.... to have that recipe would have been a treasure.
Poor Tina never knew her father. She saw him once at a funeral, as a little girl, and again at his own funeral.

He never divorced, and just took off, and went to work as a brewmaster to make beer at a brewery in Connecticut.

As far as finding rye bread close to what he baked, we found one, a 50 minute ride to Morristown, at a bakery called the Swiss Chalet.
Only problem with that, is to be there before 7 o'clock when the bread rolls out of the oven, and the lines of people scoff it all up!

hahahahaha...I'm wishing for rye toast strips now!

32 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 07, 2018 9:06 pm

bethk

Admin
Hey, Jimmy.....I'm in the car now.

I'll honk 3 times and you come running out and point the way!

LOL

33 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 pm

bethk

Admin
I didn't eat anything for breakfast and when I opened the refrigerator to get some iced tea I saw the wrapped leftover meatloaf. Suddenly I was STARVED for a cold meatloaf sandwich.....

The only thing that would have made it better is if I would have had Wonder White Bread ~ just like I had when I was a kid. But, hey, it was pretty darn good ~ almost white bread, spread on both sides with Miracle Whip, layered all over, crust-to-crust, with thinly sliced cold meatloaf and the addition of some Tony Packo's Sweet Hot pickles.

Now I'm happy as a clam!

34 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 pm

bethk

Admin
Contrary to my 'don't-like-leftovers' rule, I do like when a leftover meal is morphed into something other than the original......

Like my cold meatloaf sandwich above ~ NOT a repeated meal of hot meatloaf.

And, so, it was fine with me when I spied the leftover taco meat in the refrigerator and decided to make myself a taco salad for lunch.

35 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm

bethk

Admin
This is probably the only time this year I'll buy it, but I have to say, both Dane and I are happy campers the week we have BRAUNSCHWEIGER sandwiches for lunch. White bread, Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, lots of thinly sliced onions, ice burg lettuce.....YUM!

36 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Tue May 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Imelda HL

Dirk loves sausage biscuit, but we don't eat them often, today he had dentist appointment in the afternoon, I was nice  and made him this flaky biscuit, sausage and cheese, so good.. I can't resist, I ate one, he had 2.. biscuit from can, sausage from Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, cheese was Pepperjack sliced cheese

37 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm

bethk

Admin
I, too, like to make the biscuits from a tube ~ especially if they are on sale and less expensive than what I'd spend on the ingredients & my time (I'm expensive.......LOL)

I have some leftover biscuits from when we had carry out, probably from Kentucky Fried Chicken, and every time I open the freezer I see them and I get so hungry for sausage gravy. It's my 'guilty pleasure'.....

38 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:This is probably the only time this year I'll buy it, but I have to say, both Dane and I are happy campers the week we have BRAUNSCHWEIGER sandwiches for lunch.  White bread, Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, lots of thinly sliced onions, ice burg lettuce.....YUM!

These look divine, Beth, but are you sure that's white bread?

Last night we ate light. We had a grocery store made chicken in the fridge so Brian cut off all the meat for me and we put the bones and stuff left in the freezer in a "stock" bag. I made chicken sandwiches for supper with mayo, homemade cranberry orange sauce on it (still have some in the fridge; that Brandy in it is what keeps it so long, I think) and some crisp leaf lettuce. They were delicious (white bread, too) though I'd planned to put a slice of smoked gouda on the sandwich and forgot. Brian, who loves his cheese, asked me if I'd changed my mind about the cheese! Laughed and offered to get up and get some but he said he'd wait until the next sandwich, and he added that there was no way I was going to get his sandwich out of his hand to add anything! I always season the meat layer and the lettuce layer when I'm making a sandwich which I think really wakes up the flavor. Last night I grated some of that Citrus Appeal seasoning we like so much to both the meat and the lettuce. I'm also a stickler for the order things go on a sandwich so as not to make the bread soggy, too. I've got to say I make a damn good sandwich and my grateful taste tester thinks so too!

39 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Wed May 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Crybaby

Those sausage biscuits look divine, Imelda. When I saw that melted cheese, it made me remember having forgot the smoked gouda on last night's sandwiches!

I've been dying for some homemade biscuits, the rolled out type. Brian likes the drop biscuits better since they're crunchier but I love rolling out that biscuit dough on the kind of thick side and then cutting them out. Love, love, love biscuits, another thing Brian told me he didn't like when we first got together. Turns out he'd never had a biscuit that wasn't dry and heavy. He loves 'em now!

40 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Sun May 20, 2018 1:15 pm

bethk

Admin
Dane's going to be on a 'soup only' diet until he can get to the dentist tomorrow or Wednesday. I went looking for something for lunch (because I stupidly skipped breakfast....) and I saw the zip bag of frozen empanadas on the freezer shelf.

I've wanted to try them deep fried, well, shallow fried, I guess, since I only used enough oil to keep them from touching the bottom of the pan. Normally I would do an egg wash and bake until heated through. I have to say, the fried were much crispier and tastier than the baked ones. Maybe I should have just put them in my back pockets because that's where they'll probably end up.......

LOL

41 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Dane's going to be on a 'soup only' diet until he can get to the dentist tomorrow or Wednesday.  I went looking for something for lunch (because I stupidly skipped breakfast....) and I saw the zip bag of frozen empanadas on the freezer shelf.

I've wanted to try them deep fried, well, shallow fried, I guess, since I only used enough oil to keep them from touching the bottom of the pan.  Normally I would do an egg wash and bake until heated through.  I have to say, the fried were much crispier and tastier than the baked ones.  Maybe I should have just put them in my back pockets because that's where they'll probably end up.......

LOL

Funny, Beth! Is that a small plate or are those huge empanadas? I love 'em. And though I often bake things like this, they ALWAYS taste better fried!

There are a lot of small places here that serve food to go (like the many convenient stores here that sell sandwiches or fried chicken or other homemade stuff) that sell these but they call 'em meat pies. They're usually very good and a little spicy, too! One place sells crawfish pies too. They're usually a little bigger than empanadas are.

42 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Mon May 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Crybaby

This is one of my favorite cakes -- who doesn't love a terribly rich chocolate cake?! If you cut the cake into 12 pieces, it's 300 calories a piece, which is not too bad. We love raspberries with chocolate, so I've served this with some freshly whipped cream and fresh raspberries on the side.  If you have raspberry preserves, you can also put a dollop of that on each plate, place a piece of cake on top of that and then add a spoonful of whipped cream on the top, a pretty presentation.   FYI: one teaspoon of espresso powder really enhances the chocolate flavor of this cake nicely, whereas two teaspoons will give it a mocha flavor.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
Makes 8” cake; 8 to 12 servings. Recipe from King Arthur Flour.
Instead of making the ganache, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with strawberries & vanilla ice cream.

Cake:
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder, optional (2 teaspoons only if you
want mocha flavor)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, Dutch-process cocoa preferred
Glaze:
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a metal 8" round cake pan; cut a piece of parchment to fit, grease it, and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
2. To make the cake: Put the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft. Stir until the chips melt, reheating briefly if necessary. You can also do this over a burner set at very low heat. Transfer the melted chocolate/butter to a mixing bowl.
3. Stir in the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and vanilla. Espresso enhances chocolate's flavor much as vanilla does; using 1 teaspoon will simply enhance the flavor, while 2 teaspoons will lend a hint of mocha to the cake.
4. Add the eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and mix just to combine.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 25 minutes; the top will have formed a thin crust, and it should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into its center.
6. Remove it from the oven and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
Loosen the edges of the pan with a table knife or nylon spreader and turn it out onto a serving plate. The top will now be on the bottom; that's fine. Also, the edges will crumble a bit, which is also fine. Allow the cake to cool completely before glazing.
7. To make the glaze: Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is very hot, but not simmering. Remove from the microwave and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth.
8. Spoon the glaze over the cake, spreading it to drip over the sides a bit. Allow the glaze to set for several hours before serving the cake.

Tips from King Arthur bakers:
*  If desired, garnish cake with 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted in a 350°F oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
* For cleanest slicing, use a sharp knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry. Repeat dipping knife in hot water and wiping dry for each slice.

43 Re: May, 2018 ~ Breakfast, Lunch or Brunch. on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:56 pm

NormM

In remembrance of Anthony Bourdain, we had fried hot dogs for a late lunch. Despite Frank Fritz of American Pickers assessment of people who have chili on their hot dogs are people who don't like hot dots, I had chili on one with cheese and onions and only hot dog relish on the other. Fried hot dogs do taste better than microwaved ones BTW.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum