Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 14]

Bugster2

Bugster2

ATK and Cook's Illustrated are not good with Mexican food either.
Tonight we are going to have bean and cheese burritos. Both Joe and Katie went back to bed to sleep off the effects of a cocktail I made for them last night. It was something with Southern Comfort, amaretto with a twist of lime. It was revoltingly sweet. They were three sheets to the wind and both get an excessive talking disorder, so they gabbed away at the kitchen table half the night. Joe suddenly disappeared and he just toddled off to bed without telling anybody. I had to close the windows and lock up the house. I think he is paying for it today. LOL.
Katie almost got another box packed yesterday. That took 4 hours. So she is up to a grand total of two boxes. LOL.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper here tonight. Dane left this morning to go help his sister. He spoke with her last night (he tries to call her a couple times a week just to check in with her) and she was apparently in a really foul mood. He finally got her to 'fess up' and she told him she didn't have any hot water for the last 4 days. OF COURSE, she was too proud to call and ask her brother to help. Turns out all he had to do was show her how to press the 'reset' button on the hot water heater and it started right up.

She had not mentioned on the phone there was a power surge & outage a few days ago. She was able to reset the circuit breakers that flipped but did not know how to reset the water heater.

So now she's happy.

When he goes to her house he always takes her out for lunch or supper.

NormM

NormM

Once years ago I bough a CI cookbook.  A few months later they sent another one with a bill. Sort of  like book of the month club. I sent it back unopened.  They sent some more and I kept sending them back so they would have to pay the return postage and eventually they stopped but kept sending me letters and email trying to get me to but something else.  I took Food and Wine for a while but stopped taking that a long time ago.  I noticed they would post a recipe from someone then a couple years later post the same recipe and say it was from someone else. The most recent food magazine I took for a year was ... I can't think of the name but it had recipes from the PBS show A Moveable Feast. That was last year and I didn't renew it.

I have not watched CI since Kimbal left but I can't imagine them ever saying a recipe is their version. They always say their way is the best way.  They have tried a bazillion variations and their recipe is the BEST. It is always the best.

Here is the last picture I have taken of my gumbo.  I seldom make it exactly the same every time. I am sure it isn't based on an authentic gumbo but I keep learning a little here and there.  

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18545675/358May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 4 Dscn1110[/url]

Beth I heard someone say If it has rice in it, it isn't gumbo.  Sounds a lot like your jambalaya is more like a gumbo with rice, sort of like mine, served with rice, not with rice cooked with it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Norm, my 'faux jambalaya' is probably much more like your gumbo.

However, I never thought of it as a gumbo because somewhere I heard that the African word, 'gumbo', meant okra ~ and, try as I might, I just can't get past the slime. I've tried to like the breaded, fried okra but even that has a sort of mouth-feel that is off putting to me.

But I can tell from your picture I would probably eat YOUR gumbo ~ even if I had to pick out the okra! Hahahaha!

NormM

NormM

I thought gumbo meant it had to have okra in it but I have been told a few times that it doesn't have to have it. CI does not put okra in their gumbo. They said it is an "acquired taste".

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

0H good golly miss Molly.... That is a delicious looking meal!
I got my bib on already!

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

I don't subscribe to any cooking magazines, but I get regular emails from several online recipes sites such as Epicurious, Bon Apetit, Cooking Light and others.  
Chris Kimball is a bit of a prig but I like America's Test Kitchen in general, and I liked the one before it, what was it called? Cook's Country or something? Anyway, not as fond of Milk Street.  
At one point, I did pay for the the CI magazine, but it was very expensive, and only a few of the recipes were useable, plus they kept hitting you up incessantly to buy more and more stuff.
I will watch just about any cooking show, but can easily grow weary of the menu on the Food Network (see what I did there?)  ... a few of their hosts are just insufferable ...  I do watch Chopped if I'm tired, though, and just want some light fare ... when hubby and I watch, we design our menus in our minds during the first commercial break, then compare our creations to the competitors Very Happy  ... doesn't everybody? Wink  I like seeing what different people will do with the same ingredients, but hate it when they throw in some extremely random ingredient that clashes with everything.  
On PBS, I like the classics ... Jacques Pepin,(i love his family show when he cooks with his granddaughter or his friend - he's a riot),) Julia Child, Martin Yan ... one of my other faves is Lidia Bastianich’ ...

Last edited by muzicgirl on Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lidia I like. She reminds me of my grandmother in her actions, and how she cooks, and her methods. Simple and tasty.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner yesterday, was pierogies but they were like lead.
Tina found some good ones at a butcher shoppe, and they were great. They were full size. The problem was, the only ones they had, were the mini's. Too much dough to filling ratio.
Tina said, she will just have to go back to making her own from now on.

Today for dinner will be carry out ..... Pasta e Fagioli from Pietro's . Tina is there now having lunch with GD and Great Grandson !

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Lidia I like. She reminds me of my grandmother in her actions, and how she cooks, and her methods. Simple and tasty.

She's great, isn't she? Straightforward, no nonsense, plain spoken, and as you said, simple and delicious

NormM

NormM

I seldom watch any cooking shows anymore. None on a regular basis and never any on Food Network.  Jaques Pepin is far and away my favorite one to watch when I do. I liked Moveable Feast on PBS but I think they were only one season. BBQ with Franklin was great but it was only one season too. Back in the 70's, I learned the most about cooking from James Beard and Julia Child.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got burnt out on cooking shows so I don't watch them anymore. I don't have much to learn anyway. I am always on the prowl for new recipes. My favorite search site, Foodily, seems to have shut down.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Taco night is always dictated by whether or not there are any decent Haas avocados available. I absolutely refuse to pay more than $1 each and wish I could still get the 3 for $1 deal I remember in the past. But I did pick up a couple at the store the other day so tacos it was!

Dane loves taco night. Funny, but since I don't eat cheese on mine, he's decided he doesn't need cheese on his either. He's also fine with no cheese on my green chile enchiladas that I bake once in a while. He doesn't like when I serve 'white' carbs but, funny thing is, he doesn't have any problem with flour tortillas......LOL

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 4 05_08_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Taco night is always dictated by whether or not there are any decent Haas avocados available.  I absolutely refuse to pay more than $1 each and wish I could still get the 3 for $1 deal I remember in the past.  But I did pick up a couple at the store the other day so tacos it was!

Dane loves taco night.  Funny, but since I don't eat cheese on mine, he's decided he doesn't need cheese on his either.  He's also fine with no cheese on my green chile enchiladas that I bake once in a while.  He doesn't like when I serve 'white' carbs but, funny thing is, he doesn't have any problem with flour tortillas......LOL

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 4 05_08_10

Out here street tacos have no cheese either. They are also very small, only sliced or shredded meat and sprinkled with cilantro.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a small quake early this morning. 4.6. It felt like a jolt.
PF Chang's for dinner tonight: honey chicken, flied lice, egg rolls.

NormM

NormM

A friend posted a recipe on facebook that I wanted to try but it was in Italian. There was a video with it so that made it easier. I had to convert the measurements from metric. It is mashed potatoes with a hamburger mix inside. It is first fried then topped with cheese and baked. I put it on top of some leftover filling and just in case it needed to be more fattening, i served some béchamel on the side. You can see the pictures of the process at my blog site.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 4 20180510

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I saw that video on Facebook, Norm.

I thought at the time that Dane would shoot me if I served him mashed potatoes FRIED and then covered in cheese......Hahahahahaha!

It did look good, though.

And I'm sure you needed the bechamel sauce to help moisten it......YUM!

NormM

NormM

Beth, the video showed it moist on the inside when it was cut open but I was afraid the moisture would make problems in the fryer so I cooked the wine until it was absorbed. Maybe I should have made a bit of beef gravy for on the side instead of the milk gravy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I've got a corned beef in foil set at 250 degrees oven, cooking since 1:00 pm. I loaded it with 1/4 cup of coarse ground black pepper, and mustard and coriander seeds. A teaspoon of garlic granules.

It comes out as a faux pastrami! Ummm!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your gumbo looks delicious -- and just so you know, I've only had gumbo a couple of times in my life where it DIDN'T have rice. Yours has more tomato in it than I'm use to seeing but then some are in the tomato camp and some aren't. And I've seen tomato more in seafood gumbo than in meat gumbos. Your gumbo looks like one you'd have at someone's home because gumbo you ordered in a restaurant would NEVER have that much "stuff" in it -- they'd have to charge a fortune for it if they tried to serve some like yours.

It's funny, as when I grew up (and also in my family), we made meat gumbo or seafood gumbo. Now granted, our meat gumbo always had oysters in it (my mom always told me to be gumbo and not soup, it should have three "meats" in it, like turkey, andouille and oyster gumbo). And our seafood gumbo would have shrimp, crabs (and if you had the bucks, additional crabmeat) and oysters. But some people, like my best friend whose family was originally Filipino, made gumbo that had everything in it: chicken, sausage, shrimp, crab, etc. Her gumbo is delicious too and as I've gotten older, I've seen more home cooks make gumbo like that. But usually restaurants make one or the other, and I don't think I've ever had gumbo in a restaurant that includes oysters in their turkey or chicken and sausage gumbo.

Gumbo definitely doesn't always have okra. I never put okra in mine and my family rarely did. Technically, if you use okra, you don't use file powder. And we always use file powder in ours. It adds both flavor and also serves as a thickener. When I was young, it was definitely "either or" file or okra. But as the years have passed, I see recipes where people have used both. I would think it would tend to end up slimy, though, as both okra and file powder have a tendency to sometimes get slimy if you handle them incorrectly. Like tomatoes, I think there's an okra camp versus a file camp. But though okra is more popular in the south than elsewhere, it's still not a big crowd pleaser which may be the reason more cooks don't include it. I just love the flavor that file powder adds to it -- it's almost a smokiness. Whatever it is to each person, it's delicious!

I also add file to my gumbo like people used to always do when I was young. I remove some of the gumbo into a cup, let it cool, then stir in some file. Then you stir THAT into the hot gumbo. Once you've added the file, you're not supposed to let your gumbo come to a boil but that's not something most people would do once the gumbo has all come together anyway. I sometimes see people (and smaller neighborhood type restaurants) have shakers of file on the table so people can add it to their gumbo but then I'd never use it like that. But hey, you know, people move here, stay here, change things to suit their tastes or sometimes do something they thought everyone did and that's how things change. When it's served as festivals, I often see shake containers on tables, too.

I have to admit that I never heard of rice not being in gumbo before. But like I said earlier, it's not a huge portion of rice that it's served over. Maybe 1/4 cup. I always serve rice with it but when I have a second bowl (grin), I usually skip the rice!

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, the video showed it moist on the inside when it was cut open but I was afraid the moisture would make problems in the fryer so I cooked the wine until it was absorbed.  Maybe I should have made a bit of beef gravy for on the side instead of the milk gravy.

Yes, I saw that too......and all I could think of was that I would probably get a hole in my potato coating and it would break open in the deep fryer and explode hot grease all over. You're so much more experimental than I ~ I'm such a wus! LOL

NormM

NormM

In the video it was cooked in a small amount of oil in a skillet, like pan fried chicken, so it probably would not have been as big a problem as it could have been when I fried it in a deep fat fryer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Some Ohio friends are visiting so we're going out to The Lighthouse Restaurant in Lake Sumter Landing with a group of Ohioans.....about 7 or 8 of us. Should be a fun evening.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a pastrami on rye, with a beer to wash it down.
m&m s for dessert!

Tina had soft stuff after teeth being worked on today at the dentists!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby wrote:All of Louisiana howled at the recent State dinner where "jambalaya" was served. The few Louisianians who attended reported it was nothing like jambalaya created and loved down here. The local paper, The Advocate, is having a jambalaya contest and the winner will be flown to DC to bring a pot of their "real" jambalaya to the White House!  

I quoted my own message above in case some of you hadn't seen it or hadn't remembered.  Well, the contest is over and they printed an article and the winning recipe in today's paper. Recipe sounds very good, though it's rare that I don't see chicken included but this amount of pork along with the sausage sounds like it would be delicious!  

Here's a picture of the winner's jambalaya, the consistency of which is that you regularly see in locally made jambalaya:

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 4 Jambal12

Here's the article, which also has this gentleman's recipe. He's no slouch in the jambalaya arena, as you'll see when reading the following article:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_5dc4fe6e-4fd7-11e8-a787-b3d52521316c.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum