Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 14]

301 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm

bethk

Admin
BTW, Debbie.....if you are looking at a new bed for you, I can recommend you try a Sleep Number bed. My friend, Lyn, has one ~ she has the king size which is two single beds attached to a king frame. Lyn has a lot of back problems and absolutely loves getting in a 'Zero' position with her head elevated and her knees elevated. It takes all the pressure off her back.

The beds are pricey but if it works to give a peaceful night's sleep, it may be worth looking into.

Just a FYI.....

302 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Tue May 29, 2018 6:32 pm

bethk

Admin
Hopefully this is the last of the 'soft foods' dinners.....

Dane is suppose to get an appointment tomorrow to have the temp crown re-glued with stronger stuff so it doesn't keep coming off. He missed his appointment to have the permanent crown put on last Wednesday because he was in the hospital. Then his dentist went on a scheduled vacation. We'll be leaving Friday for Ohio & Indiana and he'll be gone for a month. He needs to have the stupid thing stay put until he gets back here the end of June or first of July.

So I rummaged in the freezers and came up with a quart of chicken & vegetables that I just needed to reheat and add some heavy cream to. I tried to convince myself that it was a great 'rainy day' dinner since it's been raining off and on all day.

I sure hope it's sunny tomorrow ~ I'm really thinking a rib eye on the grill would hit the spot! LOL

303 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Sausage and peppers over linguine...

Rice pudding for dessert......

304 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Bugster2

Since I haven't been to the store in over a week and being so busy, we had scrambled eggs, English muffins, bacon and French toast sticks for dinner.

305 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:BTW, Debbie.....if you are looking at a new bed for you, I can recommend you try a Sleep Number bed.  My friend, Lyn, has one ~ she has the king size which is two single beds attached to a king frame.  Lyn has a lot of back problems and absolutely loves getting in a 'Zero' position with her head elevated and her knees elevated.  It takes all the pressure off her back.

The beds are pricey but if it works to give a peaceful night's sleep, it may be worth looking into.

Just a FYI.....

It's funny as I had a friend who bought one with his wife and they hated it. I think mattresses are one of those things where people differ a lot on what they like.

Us? When we bought a new one two years ago, we asked to see the firmest mattress they had for sale because of our backs. The one the salesman showed us didn't have a "pillow top" like the mattress we'd had for 12 years did. I told him how I was surprised as after a couple of years, even though we'd really paid A LOT for that pillow top one, it had visible dents in it on Brian's side. Of course, he weighed about 265 back then but still! He told me that it was the pillow top itself that got dents in it and NOT the mattress. Well, honey, that made up our minds about the one without the pillow top!

The salesman tried his best to talk us OUT of the really firm mattress we bought as he said he'd never sold it to anyone who hadn't returned it -- that it turned out to be too firm for most people. We lay on it for about 15 minutes while he waited on someone else and we both stuck with it. We're sooo glad we did as we love the darn thing.

My friend Linda swears by those Tempurpedic ones -- she has two, one of the really expensive ones and one of the more reasonably priced ones they came out with after they'd been out a couple of years. We tried one of those pout at the mattress store and we didn't like it at all, even though people swear by them. I'd also read that if you don't like to sleep "hot," you won't like the Tempurpedic. The salesman said they'd worked on that feature and made it better. When I said I'd still read people find the newer version hot, he laughed and said, yes, he'd had some of the newer ones he'd sold returned for just that reason. Before we left, he admitted he didn't like the Tempurpedic either, as he'd slept on a friend's before and he, too, found it hotter than the conventional type of mattress.

If I didn't have a bed that I adore (we have a dark grey wrought iron king bed that reminds us of the gorgeous wrought iron balconies in N.O.), I would love to get the type of mattress that lets you control each side, the type Lyn has but not the brand. I think with our bad backs that the flexibility to adjust it would help me out a lot. But I love my bed. We had a cheap bed frame and a new mattress prior to purchasing this bed (the kind they usually will throw in when you buy a new mattress). Boy, we loved that mattress and how comfortable it was. But when we bought this bed, like most beds, the bed frame is attached and it had more bars across the base than the cheap frame. We were both shocked at how much more comfortable the mattress was when it was put on a well made frame. When I bought the bed, you could buy a "kit" to raise the headboard another 8 inches. The place recommended you buy this riser if you had a thick mattress and box spring (ours were VERY thick) or the headboard wouldn't show up enough (the bed has both a headboard and a footboard), and I'm so glad I listened!

We have friends that don't replace the box spring when they buy a new mattress, as they say it's an unnecessary expense as the box spring is still fine. I know you have no mattress warranty if you don't purchase the box spring but I've also read that you're really doing your mattress a disservice if you don't get a new box spring at the same time. So I've never gone that route even though I've been tempted to given the cost of a good mattress these days.

306 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Crybaby

Pickled Shrimp and Vegetables
Serves 8. Recipe from Southern Living, June 2018.

4 quarts water
2 pounds medium peeled, deveined raw shrimp
4-1/2 ounces fresh okra, washed and halved lengthwise
2-1/2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (from 1 medium onion)
2 cups thinly sliced sweet mini peppers (about 6 oz.)
3 thyme sprigs
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 large lemons
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

1. Bring water to a boil in a stockpot over medium-high. Add shrimp; boil until opaque and just pink, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cold, about 2 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine shrimp, okra, onion, peppers, and thyme sprigs in a large glass bowl or trifle dish.
3. Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a bowl until emulsified. Thinly slice 1 lemon; add slices to shrimp mixture. Juice remaining lemon to equal 1/4 cup; whisk juice into oil mixture. Pour dressing over shrimp mixture, stirring to combine. Cover and chill at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil just before serving.

Note from me: If I made this, I would just purchase boiled shrimp to use in it, as they're regularly available in all the large groceries and are really boiled well. I cannot imagine how terrible shrimp would taste when boiled in plain old water with no seasoning of any type added!  

Re okra, lots of people who don't like okra will eat it when it's pickled. I buy pickled okra in a jar all the time -- it's delicious. They often use it down here as a garnish in bloody marys, too!  Laughing

It's funny, as in most photos where shrimp are featured, they show the shrimp with the tails left, primarily because they look so pretty. I did this once when we had a dinner party and decided it was a big mistake. This photo looks pretty but it's a lot easier to actually EAT the shrimp when you've removed the tails. In a dish like this that you eat with a fork, it's really a pain to have to take the tails off (and then put them somewhere as well which is kind of awkward when you're eating out or as someone's guest).  Basically, it looks pretty but it's very impractical.

307 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Michelle, I heard that the vinegar stops the 'slime' of the okra ~ even when cooking in something like a gumbo. I think it was on the PBS series with Kevin Belton who features New Orleans cooking. I'm not a huge fan of okra, although quick fried okra pieces dipped in a spicy sauce is passable for me. But the stewed okra and tomatoes served here in the South is NOT one of my choices as a side.

Re: Shrimp tails or no tails ~ I'm in the NO tails camp. I saw an old 'Good Eats' episode (loved when he was actually teaching and not moderating some stupid cooking contest....) and Alton used a small cuticle scissors to cut down the back of the shrimp, through the shell, to remove not only the shell but also open to remove the vein. I have a couple pair of 6" stainless steel "surgical" shears and tried it ~ worked so much better than a sharp knife, and safer, too.

When I'm eating shrimp at a restaurant they almost always leave that last bit of shell attached to the tail. I tear it apart (always a lady, don't you know?) because if I'm paying good money, I want the whole bit of meat.

I know there are some who don't remove the vein but to me it's sometimes really icky so I'd much rather take a bit of time to be sure it's rinsed. When we went 'shrimping' in the river I even scraped the thin bottom vein just because I didn't want to leave any of the river bottom in my shrimps. I guess that's one time when my OCD really rears it's ugly head! LOL

308 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:BTW, Debbie.....if you are looking at a new bed for you, I can recommend you try a Sleep Number bed.  My friend, Lyn, has one ~ she has the king size which is two single beds attached to a king frame.  Lyn has a lot of back problems and absolutely loves getting in a 'Zero' position with her head elevated and her knees elevated.  It takes all the pressure off her back.

Just a FYI.....

It's funny as I had a friend who bought one with his wife and they hated it. I think mattresses are one of those things where people differ a lot on what they like.

Us? When we bought a new one two years ago, we asked to see the firmest mattress they had for sale because of our backs. The one the salesman showed us didn't have a "pillow top" like the mattress we'd had for 12 years did. I told him how I was surprised as after a couple of years, even though we'd really paid A LOT for that pillow top one, it had visible dents in it on Brian's side. Of course, he weighed about 265 back then but still!  He told me that it was the pillow top itself that got dents in it and NOT the mattress.  Well, honey, that made up our minds about the one without the pillow top!

The salesman tried his best to talk us OUT of the really firm mattress we bought as he said he'd never sold it to anyone who hadn't returned it -- that it turned out to be too firm for most people. We lay on it for about 15 minutes while he waited on someone else and we both stuck with it.  We're sooo glad we did as we love the darn thing.

My friend Linda swears by those Tempurpedic ones -- she has two, one of the really expensive ones and one of the more reasonably priced ones they came out with after they'd been out a couple of years. We tried one of those pout at the mattress store and we didn't like it at all, even though people swear by them. I'd also read that if you don't like to sleep "hot," you won't like the Tempurpedic. The salesman said they'd worked on that feature and made it better. When I said I'd still read people find the newer version hot, he laughed and said, yes, he'd had some of the newer ones he'd sold returned for just that reason. Before we left, he admitted he didn't like the Tempurpedic either, as he'd slept on a friend's before and he, too, found it hotter than the conventional type of mattress.  

If I didn't have a bed that I adore (we have a dark grey wrought iron king bed that reminds us of the gorgeous wrought iron balconies in N.O.), I would love to get the type of mattress that lets you control each side, the type Lyn has but not the brand. I think with our bad backs that the flexibility to adjust it would help me out a lot. But I love my bed. We had a cheap bed frame and a new mattress prior to purchasing this bed (the kind they usually will throw in when you buy a new mattress). Boy, we loved that mattress and how comfortable it was. But when we bought this bed, like most beds, the bed frame is attached and it had more bars across the base than the cheap frame. We were both shocked at how much more comfortable the mattress was when it was put on a well made frame. When I bought the bed, you could buy a "kit" to raise the headboard another 8 inches. The place recommended you buy this riser if you had a thick mattress and box spring (ours were VERY thick) or the headboard wouldn't show up enough (the bed has both a headboard and a footboard), and I'm so glad I listened!  

We have friends that don't replace the box spring when they buy a new mattress, as they say it's an unnecessary expense as the box spring is still fine. I know you have no mattress warranty if you don't purchase the box spring but I've also read that you're really doing your mattress a disservice if you don't get a new box spring at the same time. So I've never gone that route even though I've been tempted to given the cost of a good mattress these days.

I once tried a Tempurpedic pillow. I took a nap for about an hour and when I woke up, my scalp had gone to sleep. We use Temperpedic type mattress toppers and love them but I am not sure about the entire bed being foam. We will just have to look at what is out there.

309 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Re: Shrimp tails or no tails ~ I'm in the NO tails camp. I saw an old 'Good Eats' episode (loved when he was actually teaching and not moderating some stupid cooking contest....) and Alton used a small cuticle scissors to cut down the back of the shrimp, through the shell, to remove not only the shell but also open to remove the vein. I have a couple pair of 6" stainless steel "surgical" shears and tried it ~ worked so much better than a sharp knife, and safer, too.

I even recommended scissors to someone on this very forum for just that purpose, Beth!

There are several ways to keep okra from being slimy without using vinegar, Beth, as people use it regularly down here both as a vegetable and a side dish and I've never once eaten it when it was slimy. I never worry about it, as I never make okra. Brian doesn't like it and most people don't so I've never cooked it for guests either. But I do like it pickled and can gobble down lots of the pickled ones right from the jar!

310 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 5:06 pm

bethk

Admin
I had planned to grill a couple steaks tonight but Dane decided he wanted to have liver and onions.

I no longer cook liver. Not for him. Not for anyone.

I use to cook it the way my mom did for him ~ in a cast iron skillet with a 'grill plate' in the bottom that kept the flesh from hitting the bottom of the skillet. About 1/4" of hot oil, just enough to barely get to the bottom of the grill plate, cooked fast and hot until medium rare. Onions were always cooked in bulk in another skillet low and slow until nicely soft and golden.

But it got to the point that I just could not deal with the feel of the liver, even with gloves on.

So, for the once a year he gets hungry for the meal, he can go out to a restaurant to enjoy it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

311 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:Re: Shrimp tails or no tails ~ I'm in the NO tails camp. I saw an old 'Good Eats' episode (loved when he was actually teaching and not moderating some stupid cooking contest....) and Alton used a small cuticle scissors to cut down the back of the shrimp, through the shell, to remove not only the shell but also open to remove the vein. I have a couple pair of 6" stainless steel "surgical" shears and tried it ~ worked so much better than a sharp knife, and safer, too.

I even recommended scissors to someone on this very forum for just that purpose, Beth!  

There are several ways to keep okra from being slimy without using vinegar, Beth, as people use it regularly down here both as a vegetable and a side dish and I've never once eaten it when it was slimy. I never worry about it, as I never make okra. Brian doesn't like it and most people don't so I've never cooked it for guests either. But I do like it pickled and can gobble down lots of the pickled ones right from the jar!  

My mother fried okra in cornmeal like they do fried green tomatoes. They were not bad at all.

312 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 5:46 pm

NormM

I love fried okra.

My mattress has a zippered cover on it and I don't feel like taking it off to find out what kind it is and they probably don't make it like that any more but it is pillow topped on both top and bottom and is smooth and not lumpy at all and it is 25 years old.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

313 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Bugster2

They tell you to buy a new mattress every 10 years which is ridiculous unless it is broken down. A mattress cove will keep out the dust mites.

I have been having severe anxiety over the new house. I wonder if we have bitten off more than we can chew. Joe said he wants to give it a try and see how we do and if it works out ok, great. If not, we will sell it. I told Katie we needed to raise her rent by two hundred dollars to a total of $1000/month. She is getting two bedrooms, meals utilities, and a place for her pets. It didn't go over well with her. She wanted to think about it. If she says no, then she has the option of leaving. Joe and I will back out of the purchase of the house and buy something much smaller just for the two of us.

314 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 am

bethk

Admin
OK, everybody.....hold the fort!

I'll be off-line for a bit. Going to be on the road to Ohio & Indiana ~ But I shall return.

315 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:They tell you to buy a new mattress every 10 years which is ridiculous unless it is broken down. A mattress cove will keep out the dust mites.

I have been having severe anxiety over the new house. I wonder if we have bitten off more than we can chew. Joe said he wants to give it a try and see how we do and if it works out ok, great. If not, we will sell it. I told Katie we needed to raise her rent by two hundred dollars to a total of $1000/month. She is getting two bedrooms, meals utilities, and a place for her pets. It didn't go over well with her. She wanted to think about it. If she says no, then she has the option of leaving. Joe and I will back out of the purchase of the house and buy something much smaller just for the two of us.

How do you back out of a signed purchase agreement, Debbie?

316 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I love fried okra.

My mattress has a zippered cover on it and I don't feel like taking it off to find out what kind it is and they probably don't make it like that any more but it is pillow topped on both top and bottom and is smooth and not lumpy at all and it is 25 years old.

It's funny, Norm, as that was like the mattresses my parents bought, and the ones I slept on at their house until I moved out. Mattresses used to be like refrigerators were: They lasted forever.

Speaking of fridges, people have been writing in to a columnist in the paper about their 50+ year old fridges that are still working -- the kind I remarked about recently that they just moved into the garage when they bought a new one. A guy wrote in to say the one they bought in 1951 was still working in their garage with NO SERVICE CALLS except once when he failed to defrost it. Another one 51 years old had never had a service call either -- and it still worked and kept things very cold the man said!

317 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OK, everybody.....hold the fort!

I'll be off-line for a bit.  Going to be on the road to Ohio & Indiana ~ But I shall return.

Hope all goes well, Beth! You two be careful on the road. Glad you waited until AFTER the holiday traffic ended!

318 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:OK, everybody.....hold the fort!

I'll be off-line for a bit.  Going to be on the road to Ohio & Indiana ~ But I shall return.

Have fun on your vacation Beth and Dane, enjoy the ride in your new car

319 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:

Serves 8. Recipe from Southern Living, June 2018.

4 quarts water
2 pounds medium peeled, deveined raw shrimp
4-1/2 ounces fresh okra, washed and halved lengthwise
2-1/2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (from 1 medium onion)
2 cups thinly sliced sweet mini peppers (about 6 oz.)
3 thyme sprigs
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 large lemons
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

1. Bring water to a boil in a stockpot over medium-high. Add shrimp; boil until opaque and just pink, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cold, about 2 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine shrimp, okra, onion, peppers, and thyme sprigs in a large glass bowl or trifle dish.
3. Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a bowl until emulsified. Thinly slice 1 lemon; add slices to shrimp mixture. Juice remaining lemon to equal 1/4 cup; whisk juice into oil mixture. Pour dressing over shrimp mixture, stirring to combine. Cover and chill at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil just before serving.

Note from me: If I made this, I would just purchase boiled shrimp to use in it, as they're regularly available in all the large groceries and are really boiled well. I cannot imagine how terrible shrimp would taste when boiled in plain old water with no seasoning of any type added!  

Re okra, lots of people who don't like okra will eat it when it's pickled. I buy pickled okra in a jar all the time -- it's delicious. They often use it down here as a garnish in bloody marys, too!  Laughing

It's funny, as in most photos where shrimp are featured, they show the shrimp with the tails left, primarily because they look so pretty. I did this once when we had a dinner party and decided it was a big mistake. This photo looks pretty but it's a lot easier to actually EAT the shrimp when you've removed the tails. In a dish like this that you eat with a fork, it's really a pain to have to take the tails off (and then put them somewhere as well which is kind of awkward when you're eating out or as someone's guest).  Basically, it looks pretty but it's very impractical.

This looks so good, I'd like to try it some time

Do you know NCIS New Orleans show on TV? I like to watch them, and whenever I watched them I thought about you, what a beautiful place there

320 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Have a good time Beth!

We have a Norge ( by *Borg Warner ), in the laundry room from 1965, and still running great.

We have the electric beds like craftmatic but these are bigger. Twin Kings.
She has her side, and I have mine. I put a cardboard divider in the middle crack so she doesn't fling her leg over me, or grab for huggie huggie. Not the huggie we think, but I mean the Bad Huggie to keep comfortable. I say.... "Stay Away!".... "Keep your Hooves & Thighs on your own side!"

I remember the old mattress we had as kids. The buttons would come loose, and they would poke us in the back. They were attached by strings that stretched I guess.
Mom was forever re-attaching those darn buttons. They didn't have Mattress Toppers back then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Supper is scallops for me, and soup for Tina. I had soup for breakfast at 11:00.
It was good.

321 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 3:47 pm

NormM

Imelda, your shrimp looks very interesting. I copied the recipe and will probably try it this summer.

When I left Junction City, I left a refrigerator in the garage that was probably from the 50's.  I took the door handle off and made it so you could only close it from the outside. It had one of those latch locks that kids have died in because the door closed on them.  It was still going strong too.

Talk about things lasting forever, there was an article about a light bulb that had been left on and burning constantly for a long time. The estimated it was about 80 years old.  The article went on to say that in the late 1800's light bulb companies were having trouble staying in business because their bulbs would go on for years without burning out so they had a convention in Europe to discuss "Standards and practices" and they all agreed to make bulbs that were engineered to burn out after about 1000 hours.  And so it goes.  I wonder what will happen years in the  future when these new light bulbs that are supposed to last for years become standard in everyone's home?

ps how come my avatar is so much bigger than everyone else?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

322 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 pm

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

This looks so good, I'd like to try it some time

Do you know NCIS New Orleans show on TV? I like to watch them, and whenever I watched them I thought about you, what a beautiful place there

I'm not surprised that the pickled shrimp appealed to you, Imelda, as when I posted that picture, it reminded me of your food -- looking delicious, healthy and fresh!

I hope you have a chance to visit New Orleans one day -- it truly is a beautiful city and quite unique, too. And you would love the food, as no place would get a complaint from you about the food being too spicy!

323 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:

I'm sitting here giggling like a schoolgirl, as I thought I was the only one who noticed, Norm. I wondered if YOU had done something to it but then though, nah, he wouldn't do that. Would he? I'm still laughing!

324 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Imelda, your shrimp looks very interesting. I copied the recipe and will probably try it this summer.

See, Imelda? I told you it looked like your food!

325 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Imelda, your shrimp looks very interesting. I copied the recipe and will probably try it this summer.

When I left Junction City, I left a refrigerator in the garage that was probably from the 50's.  I took the door handle off and made it so you could only close it from the outside. It had one of those latch locks that kids have died in because the door closed on them.  It was still going strong too.

Talk about things lasting forever, there was an article about a light bulb that had been left on and burning constantly for a long time. The estimated it was about 80 years old.  The article went on to say that in the late 1800's light bulb companies were having trouble staying in business because their bulbs would go on for years without burning out so they had a convention in Europe to discuss "Standards and practices" and they all agreed to make bulbs that were engineered to burn out after about 1000 hours.  And so it goes.  I wonder what will happen years in the  future when these new light bulbs that are supposed to last for years become standard in everyone's home?

Norm, I think Michelle posted that shrimp in a glass pic.

Your Avatar has to be resized, but I would leave it alone; considering a handsome man is Looking at us! Right Girls??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum