Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

251 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What is great is we don't have to have an open house tomorrow. All of us, including the animals were going to have to hide out in the garage for 4 hours. Agent is coming at 4 for us to sign the papers. I guess it will go into escrow on Tuesday.

Grrrrrate news!

252 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm

NormM

I saw a recipe for a cake that I wanted to try and went to the store to get the stuff and try to get an idea for dinner tonight. I saw that they had some meaty looking ham shanks and decided to make them with navy beans, carrots and bok choy. The cake was just a box chocolate cake with only Cherry Dr. Pepper for liquid and some chopped maraschino cherries added in. The icing was butter and powdered sugar. The icing was too sweet for my taste and the cake was not all that good either. I should stop falling for those gimmicky desserts. I can't get the pictures to post but you can see them at

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

253 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

bethk

Admin
Boy, the crap just keeps pourin'......

We got a text from Andrea at 10 this morning. She wanted to let us know, just in case we saw the news, that Tori was fine. It was her middle school in Noblesville, IN that had the active shooter and a 13 y/o girl and an adult were injured and taken to the hospitals. Tori was aware of something going on because they had a 'Code RED' and they heard shots, although none of them knew that was what it was. She did not, however, know the girl who was injured.

The parents all got texts from the school alerting them to what had happened and were given instructions to pick up their children at the high school, the middle schoolers were being bussed to the high school gymnasium (1,300 of them) and would be released to their parents from there.

As the parents were assembling in the parking lot and awaiting instructions some idiot called a 'bomb scare' into the high school so everything was locked down. Andrea said it took forever before everyone could show their identification and get their child/children.

She said Tori is fine, she let her have a friend come to the house tonight to keep them both busy. Tori is most upset that she wasn't allowed to get anything out of her locker so she's without her cell phone for the long holiday weekend. I think she'll be fine....

254 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:What is great is we don't have to have an open house tomorrow. All of us, including the animals were going to have to hide out in the garage for 4 hours. Agent is coming at 4 for us to sign the papers. I guess it will go into escrow on Tuesday.

Congratulations, Bugs! Glad it didn't take long.

We just got a call from Robin. She said her realtor has a client that cannot find a house and would like to know when ours will be going up for sale because she thinks it would be a good fit for what they are looking for. I just said we have to clean it up before ANYONE comes looking at it.

255 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Bugster2

What is wrong with kids these days? You never heard of anything like shootings at a school when I was a child.

256 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Bugster2

bethk wrote:

Congratulations, Bugs!  Glad it didn't take long.

We just got a call from Robin.  She said her realtor has a client that cannot find a house and would like to know when ours will be going up for sale because she thinks it would be a good fit for what they are looking for.  I just said we have to clean it up before ANYONE comes looking at it.

Thanks Beth. We found a house to buy but there are multiple offers coming in so the chances are slim that we will get it.

Beth, I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Then I pitched a fit when someone left a fresh fingerprint on the microwave. Thank goodness I can go back to my old slobby self.

257 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Bugster2

I spoke too soon. The buyer wants to bring her father through the house on Sunday so we still have to stay clean.

258 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, the crap just keeps pourin'......

We got a text from Andrea at 10 this morning.  She wanted to let us know, just in case we saw the news, that Tori was fine.  It was her middle school in Noblesville, IN that had the active shooter and a 13 y/o girl and an adult were injured and taken to the hospitals.  Tori was aware of something going on because they had a 'Code RED' and they heard shots, although none of them knew that was what it was.  She did not, however, know the girl who was injured.

The parents all got texts from the school alerting them to what had happened and were given instructions to pick up their children at the high school, the middle schoolers were being bussed to the high school gymnasium (1,300 of them) and would be released to their parents from there.  

As the parents were assembling in the parking lot and awaiting instructions some idiot called a 'bomb scare' into the high school so everything was locked down.  Andrea said it took forever before everyone could show their identification and get their child/children.  

She said Tori is fine, she let her have a friend come to the house tonight to keep them both busy.  Tori is most upset that she wasn't allowed to get anything out of her locker so she's without her cell phone for the long holiday weekend.  I think she'll be fine....

Wow!.... that is scary Beth. Thank god she is ok.
"What is this world coming to?" Amazing how a sick few, can ruin it for everyone!

259 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Seems like forever since I've cooked anything. Dane's been on a soup diet because of his tooth/waiting for the permanent crown. So he's eating out of the freezer. I was thinking of making something soft but we were invited to the neighbors for supper so at least I didn't have to make a decision on what to cook.

Maybe tomorrow will be a cooking day for me.

Maybe not.

LOL

260 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 pm

NormM

I don't have any pictures but I smoked some raw beer brats for an hour and a half. I also made Shirley Corriher's Touch of Grace (cream) biscuits and about 3 cups of sausage gravy. The brats, biscuits and gravy are all in the fridge for us to have ready to heat up tomorrow or whenever. I had a brat for dinner and Charlie had a biscuit with gravy.

261 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 12:06 am

Niagara Visitor

I am recovering from the third annual barbecue dinner here in my condo building.  Weather was perfect, we had burgers, sausages, hot dogs and about 15 different salads.  We almost ran out of food, people showed up who had not ordered, so some ended up just getting some salads because all the meat which had been pre-ordered was gone.  I have had a problem with the older members of our social committee here in the building............... we were charging $5.00 per person, I think it should be $10........ so we settled on $15. for 2.   More people showed up than the first two years, so obviously the increase in price was not a factor.  

My question is, where can you get a burger or sausage with all the trimmings and a variety of about 15 salads for $7.50?.................... Oh, and by the way, we are very fortunate in that we have a resident here who moved in last year who sings with a big band type orchestra, and she did an hour of 50s music, perfect for all us oldies here! 

It's been a great day, great music, great get-to-gether.  I am exhausted as I am the youngest member of the social committee which organizes this................ and, gotta tell you, my baby turns 50 on June 13!

262 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 8:12 am

bethk

Admin
Sounds like you have every right to be exhausted! My bet is even a 50 year old would have dropped from all the work you and your committee had to do to pull off another great BBQ!

Take it easy for a couple days and then get back to planning for the next one.......

263 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:As for food today???? We have our third now annual barbecue for my building tomorrow.  Ticket sales were slow to start, but now we have 75 sold, and will probably have a few show up at the last minute.  

Congratulations on another successful get together, Lore. Your neighbors truly won the Irish sweepstakes when you moved into that building! How much were the tickets this year anyway? Any upcharge for inflation, as everything has gone up in price since the first BBQ, that's for sure.

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am making a quinoa salad with an Asian flavour............. chopped peppers, parsley, pineapple, soya sauce s/p.  I sort of add "stuff" until it tastes good to me.

That's funny, as I think it probably describes how we all cook.

Brian made my favorite chicken dish yesterday -- paneed chicken breasts. Last time he made it, I talked him into getting another batch of chicken all ready to go and then I froze them. So all he had to do was a tad of hammering to make each piece of chicken the same thickness and he was good to go. I didn't feel very well and had gone to lie down about 3:30 p.m. So he tried his hand at making the tarragon cream sauce he likes so much. It was pretty darn good, I've got to say. So I woke up to a nice meal and all I had to do was serve it. Leftover tonight and I will add a fresh Creole tomato salad to the mix, as he picked up some the other day when he was out and about. My favorite way to have them is to cut them up in chunks and then put them in a nice vinaigrette with some oregano in it with lots of freshly ground black pepper. The tomatoes themselves are so darn good that I'm looking forward to them most of all.

264 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am recovering from the third annual barbecue dinner here in my condo building.  Weather was perfect, we had burgers, sausages, hot dogs and about 15 different salads.  We almost ran out of food, people showed up who had not ordered, so some ended up just getting some salads because all the meat which had been pre-ordered was gone.  I have had a problem with the older members of our social committee here in the building............... we were charging $5.00 per person, I think it should be $10........ so we settled on $15. for 2.   More people showed up than the first two years, so obviously the increase in price was not a factor.  

My question is, where can you get a burger or sausage with all the trimmings and a variety of about 15 salads for $7.50?.................... Oh, and by the way, we are very fortunate in that we have a resident here who moved in last year who sings with a big band type orchestra, and she did an hour of 50s music, perfect for all us oldies here! 

It's been a great day, great music, great get-to-gether.  I am exhausted as I am the youngest member of the social committee which organizes this................ and, gotta tell you, my baby turns 50 on June 13!

Still sounds like a bargain to me, Lore. Did the people fuss who didn't get meat even though they hadn't bought tickets beforehand? That'll teach people to get their tickets early and to get there early, too!  And maybe the Social Committee will agree to the price increase next year since you had such a good turnout. Do you have people serving the meat items, or do people help themselves to all of the available items?

I'm glad you had a successful BBQ yet again!  

265 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

NormM

Speaking of BBQ, my smoker did double duty today. I put chicken wings on the smoker side for 30 minutes then moved them over to the hot side to crisp up and get basted with sauce.

266 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Crybaby

Boy, Beth, scary stuff about Tori's school! Thank goodness it all turned out okay for you and your family. I hadn't heard about THAT shooting yet -- there are so many today that I might have heard about it on the news and assumed it was one I already knew about!

I'm glad only two people were physically hurt but of course, you worry about the psychological damage done to both children and adults.... Crying or Very sad

267 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:

Your wings look delicious, Norm! We cut our wings up like that, too. I save the wingtips to add to my stock bag in the freezer.

268 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 4:30 pm

NormM

I got a ziplock bag out and marked it "chicken wing tips for stock" to put in the freezer but when I opened the package, they were already cut up and there were no tips to save. PS they were very good. The two of us ate all of them. There were no leftovers.

269 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 pm

bethk

Admin
Wings look great, Norm! It drives me nuts that I have to wait until they're on sale to stock up. But when I buy a large package on sale I cut them into 'drummies' and 'flappers' (I leave the wing tips on the flappers for me because they always get crispy). I do cut off that little 'toe-nail' thingy on the wing tip. That bugs me when I see it.

270 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 4:33 pm

NormM

Thanks Beth

271 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 pm

bethk

Admin
Good Grief! Still NO cooking.....

Dane wanted to drive to his sister's to pick up his tools he left there last Monday when he was working on her lawnmower. He had planned to return on Tuesday but we know that didn't happen.

So, off we went this morning in the new car. My consolation prize for not whinning the entire way about the Honda not riding like my Pontiac (and, YES, it took a huge amount of self control to keep my big mouth shut....) was lunch at my favorite Musselwhite's for fried shrimp.

I did insist on being the driver on the 50 mile drive home ~ he asked, "why do you want to drive?" and I explained that since I had signed all the paperwork and gone into debt AND since I had only driven it for 3 minutes on a 'test drive', the least he could do was give me a chance to see how it handled on the roads.

Well, I will say, it is a comfortable drive ~ as long as I readjusted the seat from the ridiculous position HE drives in.....(see, I can whine about anything) ~ and it handled nicely, almost as nice as my Pontiac. I did complain about the pick-up not being as fast. I think I said something like, "From "0" to "60" in 3.5 minutes....." and he just gave me a dirty look. LOL

I'm sure I'll grow to love it. If not, when we get the Ohio house sold we'll trade it in on a car I like.

272 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 am

Bugster2

It was a very stressful day today. First the woman who bought our house came with her family to look at it. Fortunately everyone loved the house. She is going to tear out the kitchen, move a wall. New carpet, new travertine. Paint. She is going to tear out that new shower we just had built and tear out the tub and move the shower to where the tub was. I don't know whet she is going to do with the empty shower space. The backyard is dirt because of the drought. We also had an invasive beetle that killed all the trees. She is going to terrace the slope.
We then had a scary day. Last night we got a call about the house we want to buy. We were told they had accepted our bid. This afternoon we get another call telling us another bid came in for more. SHIT! We had to up our offer and it was accepted and finally the papers were signed. I think I lost ten pounds. I took 2 lorazepam, joe had two stiff drinks and Katie had wine. I don't like drugs. I walk like a drunk in a pinball machine, bouncing off walls.
We ended up with 5 bids on our house. My sister from Atherton tells me that it is nothing like it is up there. Her friend's on has been trying to buy a home. The price will go $200 to 300 thousand above the asking price. One house in particular had 52 offers on it. California real estate is crazy.
Dinner was frozen PF Chang shrimp lo mein which was good. Then I made Bertolli chicken parmesan with pasta. It tasted like tea and the chicken chunks were spongy

273 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm glad everything is turning out happy happy for everyone.
#ff0000]Happy Memorial Day to all!

The son and DIL are coming down to throw burgers and skirt steaks on the grill.
It's a chilly 64 degrees; so there will be no outside sitting.
Tina cooked 3 different types of sausage she picked up at a new market called "AQUI" She marked the different kinds with 1 to 3 tooth picks.  Colombian / Mexican / and Argentinian!

I sampled it already, and oh boy, is it good. The Mexican is H O T !

I just took some tylenol for a headache. All of a sudden since thursday the doctor increased my dose of Metformin, and added this darn breath puffer Symbicort.
It may be one of these causing headaches ???  [/size]

274 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Mon May 28, 2018 3:48 pm

NormM

Charlie and I ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant. A local place run by Mexicans, not Americanized Taco Bell type. They have a huge smoker outside. We took a whole BBQ chicken meal home with us and I just tasted it. It is really GOOD. Much tastier than food truck Mexican food we had last month.

275 Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? on Mon May 28, 2018 4:15 pm

bethk

Admin
Jimmy, Dane has been on Symbicort for a number of years due to his COPD. It's really helped slow or reverse the progression of the disease. In Ohio he used his 'rescue' inhaler (the one you use when you just cannot catch your breath) a couple times a week. Since he's more relaxed (and not doing as much physical labor) he hasn't used that one in a very long time. His VA doc said it has a good reputation of helping with the lungs a lot.

So, what ever you do, do NOT stop using it.

Your headache is probably just a normal, run of the mill, did-too-much type......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum