Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 14]

201May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And in a 'pinch' (when you need to do a 'grab & go' for a potluck) you could easily sub some chopped salami for the bacon.

Or pepperoni...

202May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sat May 19, 2018 11:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sickness lurks in the house! I say caused by the Baby carrier.
His other nana has a bad cold..... ( need I say more?)
Tina coughing and scratchy sore throat! ( froggy throat )

I made a stromboli with thin sliced pepperoni and mozzarella and muenster cheese!
Hot chocolate for dessert! .... Now it's snack time!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's Hot Dogs with chili today. Nothing special.
Tina is not feeling well... ( a cold ).
Just had the tree surgeon here! Need a walnut tree removed and tree trimming on 5 others. He's taking all felled / cut wood away. $1500.00

I asked the kids if they want the wood for their stoves....... ( waiting with my thumb we know where!) ...... No answer... ( i n f i n i t y )..................................>

bethk

bethk
Admin

It always drove me crazy that we couldn't get anyone to take our downed trees for the wood.  We also ended up paying some guy to do the job and then he took the wood and ended up selling it for a pretty penny.  It cost me $800 to have a guy take down a tree that Dane should have cut when it was a sappling ~ but he kept putting it off and coming up with every excuse in the book why he didn't want to cut it down.  

It grew against the drip edge of our garage roof.  When we were going to have the garage roof replaced they ended up doing an extra $600 to repair where the tree had grown into the roof and rotted a bunch of the underlayment.

I don't know why I started this conversation.

Now I'm angry again and that stuff happened 10 years ago!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It always drove me crazy that we couldn't get anyone to take our downed trees for the wood.  We also ended up paying some guy to do the job and then he took the wood and ended up selling it for a pretty penny.  It cost me $800 to have a guy take down a tree that Dane should have cut when it was a sappling ~ but he kept putting it off and coming up with every excuse in the book why he didn't want to cut it down.  

It grew against the drip edge of our garage roof.  When we were going to have the garage roof replaced they ended up doing an extra $600 to repair where the tree had grown into the roof and rotted a bunch of the underlayment.

I don't know why I started this conversation.

Now I'm angry again and that stuff happened 10 years ago!

Huh! Nobody wants the wood, until it's gone! My tree saver, is Tina. Both license plates on the cars are Save the Trees. $57.00 each car!
We do love the shade, but a hole in the roof; or window damage...uh uh!

BTW ,...... The walnut tree with a 16 inch girth, is worth a good penny to a furniture / wood worker!

NormM

NormM

I had an ash tree that had dead limbs hanging over the driveway and called the arborist to see what a trimming would cost. He said it was being killed by ash bore insects and trimming it would cost more than half the cost of taking it down and if trimmed, it would still die and need taking down later. I think it cost about 1200 and they fed the whole thing in a chipper and ground it all down to sawdust. They also augered out the stump down about two feet below grade then filled it with dirt. I pay the guy about $500 a year to keep three pine trees in the back yard alive after I lost one to disease. The neighbors helped take that one down and then they used the wood in their outdoor fire places. Those neighbors had moved away by the time the ash tree needed taking down.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had a mushroom frittata.....he was afraid the asparagus would be too 'hard' to chew.

Fine with me. I love double asparagus on my Asparagus / Mushroom Frittata (actually just a couple beaten eggs with browned mushrooms & cooked asparagus sprinkled over).

It was pretty yummy, especially since I really didn't feel like cooking much and for some reason a non-meat supper sounded really, really good.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 05_20_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I love this contraption...... The dogs were small; so I used the red small one. Didn't even need the skewer, and it came out of the cutter with ease.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 Img_0912

NormM

NormM

I am going to have to try that one Jimmy.

Dinner tonight was Cuban Beef Picadillo. I plan to have some in the morning with eggs.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 20180514

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love that stuff, Norm......I had it in my empanadas for lunch today ~ just goes to show Great Minds Think Alike!

It's such a complex flavor with the salty of the olives and the sweet of the raisins or currants ~ and mine has some 'warm' spices like allspice and cinnamon. Good stuff.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I love this contraption...... The dogs were small; so I used the red small one. Didn't even need the skewer, and it came out of the cutter with ease.

Jimmy, you look like you're practicing for your TV advertisement! Hahahahahahaha!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I love this contraption...... The dogs were small; so I used the red small one. Didn't even need the skewer, and it came out of the cutter with ease.

Jimmy, you look like you're practicing for your TV advertisement!   Hahahahahahaha!

Ya know Beth, if our thumbs could touch Blue, we could wish to come true!
I said the same thing! ..... Like "Hi....Bill Swift Here!" zzzzzzzzz....I sewed this Boat in half! "..........Only, I would be saying............
"Hi ..... Uncle Jimmy here!" ..... "Are your hot dogs Poopy, Droopy, and Limp?" ..... No "Well, just one quick press, in my Hot Dog Curler Cutter, and You'll be the King / Queen, of the BBQ!"
May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 3921676023

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=16]Nice soup Imelda.....

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:We had a late and big brunch today, well, biscuit sausage and cheese ( again, leftover from the other day ), so this evening we were not too hungry, so I made some corn and cabbage soup with sausage for our supper

Not only delicious, I'm sure, but gorgeous, too, Imelda -- no surprise there when you're making something!

Thanks, Dirk liked it, I thought we would have some leftover for light lunch the next day, but when I went back to wash up the dishes, I saw the soup was all gone, he ate it all Laughing

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:We went out to a fairly new fast food restaurant here, Culver's.  It's a Wisconsin based chain and is like a 'taste of home' for many.

I wanted to try their Pot Roast Sandwich and was surprised to find it as generous as it showed in the advertising pics.  I ate about half the beef out with a fork and brought the rest home for Dane to have for a lunch.  I was most excited to have a fountain drink ~ Pepsi on tap!  Actually, I don't think I've had a soda in over 5 years as I gave up the sweet stuff many, many years ago.  But there is something about the fountain served soft drink that I still love.  

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 9 05_18_10

We love Culver's too, so far I think their burgers/sandwiches are the best

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's Hot Dogs with chili today. Nothing special.
Just had the tree surgeon here! Need a walnut tree removed and tree trimming on 5 others. He's taking all felled / cut wood away. $1500.00

I asked the kids if they want the wood for their stoves....... ( waiting with my thumb we know where!) ...... No answer... ( i  n  f  i  n  i  t  y )..................................>

How big was the walnut tree and how tall were the trees needing trimming, Jimmy? I'm just trying to reconcile the price with what they would charge down here for removing and trimming.

When the actress, Linda Hamilton, had a tree trimmer working on her back yard renovation two houses away, Brian called the guy over to see what he would charge to top our orange tree and trim it (it's probably 12 feet high). He wanted $600 which I thought was outrageous -- maybe he thought we had the same kind of money that Linda Hamilton has!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:It grew against the drip edge of our garage roof.  When we were going to have the garage roof replaced they ended up doing an extra $600 to repair where the tree had grown into the roof and rotted a bunch of the underlayment.

Often times here, people will let pretty vines grow up onto the side of their houses and often right onto the roof as well. It make look pretty but boy, it tears up the side of your house and it'll even loosen the mortar on a brick wall if given enough time. It'll grow right under siding, too, and rip off the vinyl stuff and eventually let water under clapboards too -- water intrusion means one dreaded thing down here: Termites!

It's termite swarming season here right now and they're plentiful this year. We leave all our exterior lights off during swarming season as the lights just draw them closer to your home. I don't even leave the stove light on in the kitchen that we use for a night light -- I don't want a termite to mistake it for an invitation to come inside. Every once in a while, you will find one inside the house. My housekeeper told me on Tuesday that she found a live termite near the ceiling when she was using a big tall broom we have to reach the corners of our high ceilings -- every once in a while, you'll see the beginnings of a spider web up there. The broomstick we have is about 10 feet tall; you just slip a pillow case over the broom end to clean out the corners or to wipe dust off an air-conditioning vent; that way you don't get the broom bristles dirty. When we bought the house, our realtor, who also lives in an old house in this neighborhood and has several rental properties here as well, gave it to us for a housewarming present.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I loved seeing this, Jimmy!  Brian looked over your pic, too, and confirmed that he would indeed like this gizmo!

NormM

NormM

We had English ivy growing on one side of the wall of our patio and it was getting very invasive. Charlie worked a long time getting rid of it. People don't realize how much care you need to keep under control something like that.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We had English ivy growing on one side of the wall of our patio and it was getting very invasive. Charlie worked a long time getting rid of it. People don't realize how much care you need to keep under control something like that.

It's true -- often they think it won't do much damage if they don't leave it too long but it's really best not to let it get started at all. Often it's a pretty vine like passion flower or something like that, but it doesn't take long to begin giving you a problem.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Last night we had pork potstickers that I cooked in a frying pan on top of orzo and rice pilaf. I threw together a dipping sauce, too. A paltry dinner really but Brian loved it. Plus the pilaf is so easy and so good that we're both glad we have some leftover for tonight. Will probably make some more potstickers (they're frozen in a big bag -- I get them from QVC when they're on special) to use up the pilaf and the dipping sauce.

We're back to making meals out of the freezer again, as it's packed solid. Plus we have that huge beef brisket in our friend Pete's freezer -- I think it's 13 pounds -- and it keeps calling Brian's name!  We do have a lot of rain in the forecast this week so I may let him bring it home soon -- wouldn't mind the oven on for a couple of hours if the sun's not blazing out there!

I just remembered we have two or three stuffed peppers in the freezer, too -- perfect to go with some leftover macaroni and cheese we have.

Our cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen up though it'll be a while until the bigger Betty Boy tomatoes are ready for picking. But we'll be buying a bunch of Creole tomatoes soon, as I want to freeze some this year after I remove the skins. I still have a couple of quarts of Creole tomatoes that we canned three years ago -- it was fun having them but man, canning anything is a lot of work. I don't think we're up to it anymore though it's so much fun when you finish and see all the goodies you'll have to use down the line.  

I've got to see if we've got any cucumber seeds left from last year, as we have a fence with some webbed netting still on it from our climbing flowers that died in the freeze. Brian's eyes lit up the other day when I pointed out that that garden would be a perfect place to grow cukes this year.  I can get some starter plants at the garden shop but usually it's no problem to get them started from seed. And if you want pickling cukes, you've got to start them from seed as no one sells the starter plants anymore as they're just not in great demand. The pickling ones are great for salads, too.  

And I've got to order a French tarragon plant again, too, as we use a lot of that due to Brian's love affair with tarragon cream sauce!  Never see anything but Mexican tarragon starter plants in our locale...

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue May 22, 2018 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:We had English ivy growing on one side of the wall of our patio and it was getting very invasive. Charlie worked a long time getting rid of it. People don't realize how much care you need to keep under control something like that.

It's true -- often they think it won't do much damage if they don't leave it too long but it's really best not to let it get started at all.  Often it's a pretty vine like passion flower or something like that, but it doesn't take long to begin giving you a problem.
THe first time I visited my daughter and son-in-law in Huntington Beach in CA, their house was covered is a beautiful(to me) vine.  When I went back the next year, vine was gone, the stucco had to be repaired and re-painted because of the damage that the vine had done through the years.  Apparently they had to have someone come a couple of times a year just to control it around all the windows and doors.  With three floors of house, it was expensive, and the "critters" that called all the vines home were also not welcome.

It was not ivy, but something with larger leaves........................ And, since this is a cooking thread.......... fresh Lake Erie perch for me tonight.  First of the season from fishing son.  Steamed local asparagus, also first of the season, tonight.  YUMM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Out of the freezer was some beef stewing cubes. Tina was doing chores for her uncle, so I reduced the size of the cubes, added onions; celery, and carrots, and simmered all afternoon. We had that over wide egg noodles.
Tina thickened it down with flour and oil.
Dessert, was a Drake's Ring Ding.

I'm due for another one for bedtime snack, and a coffee!
I am one of those that can drink a couple cups of coffee, and still conk out and fall asleep easily....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's Hot Dogs with chili today. Nothing special.

I asked the kids if they want the wood for their stoves....... ( waiting with my thumb we know where!) ...... No answer... ( i  n  f  i  n  i  t  y )..................................>

How big was the walnut tree and how tall were the trees needing trimming, Jimmy? I'm just trying to reconcile the price with what they would charge down here for removing and trimming.

When the actress, Linda Hamilton, had a tree trimmer working on her back yard renovation two houses away, Brian called the guy over to see what he would charge to top our orange tree and trim it (it's probably 12 feet high). He wanted $600 which I thought was outrageous -- maybe he thought we had the same kind of money that Linda Hamilton has!

The walnut is with a 16 inch girth, and is 30 feet tall.
The three back yard trees are maples with 14 inch girth, and 40 feet high. They will be topped and under trimmed.
Then there is a maple in the front with a 20 inch girth, that has an offshoot branch at 14 feet that has a 7 inch diameter, and spur out about 16 feet over the roof. It has a squirrel nest at the knot that has a fissure that is a threat of cracking, and sending the branch over my porch, and would rip down my rail gutters. and possibly damaging the porch and poking into the storm door. I call that branch, The mail carrier killer!

Then, there is a dead Horse chestnut  12 feet 4" girth, and an apple tree 3" girth, 10'feet high.
Then there is a Mulberry tree that fell in a storm about 5 years ago, and there is a trunk 12 to 6 inches x 6 feet just laying on the ground.
This is one of those...."Don't worry dad, no problem!" "I'll stop by and cut it up yadda yadda yadda!"  N   O   T   !! No Never Happened! And all that had to be done, was roll the logs down hill into the wooded area on top of the leaf heap to rot into loam.

All brush and logs will be removed!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy,I have one of those. We love it because it makes all of the edges crispy when we throw the dogs on the grill.

Norm, you are lucky with the stumps. Everyone out here wants an additional $375 to grind one down.

Haven't been doing much cooking around here, mostly frozen PF Chang, sandwiches and last night was spaghetti. We have been cleaning, or should I say I have been cleaning the house all week. Joe did some work outside. He said he would clean the bathroom and he did, or so I thought. I went in to check the toilet and what he considers clean and what I consider clean are two different matters entirely. He left grime from his fingers along the edge of the seat, didn't clean the interior, and didn't clean the exterior. I was horrified because we are going to have an open house on Saturday. Thank goodness I caught it in time. I have always said my husband was a secret slob. Katie is worse. It took her two days just to clean out her bathroom and when the photographer came I found she had thrown stuff into the tub and just closed the curtain. I had to haul it all out and throw it into the garage. She couldn't even clean her room to my standards. I pulled out a huge wad of fur from under her dresser that she wasn't even going to clean out. I think this whole business is going to kill me.

On Saturday my BIL looked out across the bay and saw two teens walking around the front of the house they are remodeling. They were trying to get in. The whole thing is fenced in so they must have hopped the fence. It was a 17 year old boy and a 15 year old girl. They were probably looking for a place to have sex. Mike called the police and drove over there to confront them. They both got mouthy with him and lied about their names. The police called their parents and Mike talked to them. Very civil and nice. The police wanted to know if he wanted to press charges (minor). Mike wasn't sure and went back over to talk to the kids and the girl got into his face so he said "I'm done here. I want to press charges". Later on he talked to a friend who counsels teens. Mike was really shocked because the teens showed no remorse. The counselor told Mike that 75% of today's teens are sociopaths. The reason being is that parents are not letting the kids face the consequences of their actions. They bail them out every time. The teen then feels entitled and spoiled and without empathy for other's feelings. Interesting observation.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:

Jimmy,I have one of those. We love it because it makes all of the edges crispy when we throw the dogs on the grill.

Norm, you are lucky with the stumps. Everyone out here wants an additional $375 to grind one down.

Haven't been doing much cooking around here, mostly frozen PF Chang, sandwiches and last night was spaghetti. We have been cleaning, or should I say I have been cleaning the house all week. Joe did some work outside. He said he would clean the bathroom and he did, or so I thought. I went in to check the toilet and what he considers clean and what I consider clean are two different matters entirely. He left grime from his fingers along the edge of the seat, didn't clean the interior, and didn't clean the exterior. I was horrified because we are going to have an open house on Saturday. Thank goodness I caught it in time. I have always said my husband was a secret slob. Katie is worse. It took her two days just to clean out her bathroom and when the photographer came I found she had thrown stuff into the tub and just closed the curtain. I had to haul it all out and throw it into the garage. She couldn't even clean her room to my standards. I pulled out a huge wad of fur from under her dresser that she wasn't even going to clean out. I think this whole business is going to kill me.

On Saturday my BIL looked out across the bay and saw two teens walking around the front of the house they are remodeling. They were trying to get in. The whole thing is fenced in so they must have hopped the fence. It was a 17 year old boy and a 15 year old girl. They were probably looking for a place to have sex. Mike called the police and drove over there to confront them. They both got mouthy with him and lied about their names. The police called their parents and Mike talked to them. Very civil and nice. The police wanted to know if he wanted to press charges (minor). Mike wasn't sure and went back over to talk to the kids and the girl got into his face so he said "I'm done here. I want to press charges". Later on he talked to a friend who counsels teens. Mike was really shocked because the teens showed no remorse. The counselor told Mike that 75% of today's teens are sociopaths. The reason being is that parents are not letting the kids face the consequences of their actions. They bail them out every time. The teen then feels entitled and spoiled and without empathy for other's feelings. Interesting observation.

I gave one of the hot dog curly cuts to my neighbor, and he just called to tell me, he loves it. Nice and crispy edges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah!.... the bathroom is the first place people look.
When we moved in here, I had to rip out the walls in the bedroom near the bed against the wall. Tina said it smelled of greasy hair where
someone lay against the wall with their hair. Mad
I told Tina, it was probably "Medusa" that slept there!
F O U L !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I grew up at the time when a bunch of kids got mouthy like that, an adult could kick their butt, and never was a lawsuit! Or the kids were threatened that their mother / father would be informed.

Today, kids have no fear!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum