Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 14]

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I seldom watch any cooking shows anymore. None on a regular basis and never any on Food Network.  Jaques Pepin is far and away my favorite one to watch when I do. I liked Moveable Feast on PBS but I think they were only one season. BBQ with Franklin was great but it was only one season too. Back in the 70's, I learned the most about cooking from James Beard and Julia Child.

Around 10:30 p.m. here M-F, the local PBS channel has an additional channel (createtv.com) which starts cooking shows at this peculiar hour. Usually "Martha Bakes" or "Martha Stewart's Cooking School" leads them off and others vary, though either America's Test Kitchen OR Cook's Country is usually in the lineup, and Lidia Bastianich's show, "Lidia's Kitchen" is usually there, too. Like several of you, I enjoy Lidia immensely. It's nice to watch her make her various Italian dishes as you can see right away if they differ from how YOU make something, or give you ideas as to something different to make. She uses eggplant and zucchini in more ways than I've ever seen, and often times it's used in a way I really want to try. Often, Norm, "Moveable Feast with Fine Cooking" is shown as well. It's not the original show, of course, but I enjoy it especially when the host is in an area of the world whose cuisine I enjoy. Other shows often included are Pati's Mexican Table, Christopher Kimball's Milk Street, Joanne Weir's show, now in an iteration called "Joanne Weir's Plates and Places." They recently added "New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton," and "My Greek Table with Diane Kochilas."

"Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke" is regularly shown, along with "Chef's Life," the latter of which I really enjoy as it not only covers the workings of her restaurant, Chef and the Farmer, but also usually features a type of produce grown locally (locally to NC, that is), and often times it's a vegetable I don't cook regularly and sometimes one I've NEVER cooked.

"Annabel Langbein: The Free Range Cook" is sometimes run, and I really like her show, especially gloating over her gorgeous New Zealand garden and the areas of beautiful NZ they show. Another one I enjoy which they show occasionally is "Cooking with Nick Stellino." He always says his wife says he talks too much, which may have something to do with why I like his show!!  "Julie Taboulie's Lebanese Kitchen" is shown here and there and I like seeing her cuisine. Another one you mentioned "BBQ with Franklin" comes on periodically, too.

I've always had problems sleeping at night which are now exacerbated by back pain, so watching these shows is often something that distracts me. (I love to read but find if I'm really suffering in a lot of pain, I'm unable to concentrate and end up reading the same paragraph over and over. But I can usually lose myself quickly enough while watching a cooking show, even if it's one that isn't one of my favorites.

I, too, Norm, learned a lot about cooking from James Beard and Julia Child, and miss seeing both of them and reading articles written about them.

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

I used to love Nick Stellino! They don't run any of his shows in our market anymore. Decades ago, I learned to make biscotti from Nick Stellino.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not impressed with his recipe. What kind of sausage? Season the stock with what? I always need more info than some people are willing to share.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Crybaby wrote:All of Louisiana howled at the recent State dinner where "jambalaya" was served. The few Louisianians who attended reported it was nothing like jambalaya created and loved down here. The local paper, The Advocate, is having a jambalaya contest and the winner will be flown to DC to bring a pot of their "real" jambalaya to the White House!  

I quoted my own message above in case some of you hadn't seen it or hadn't remembered.  Well, the contest is over and they printed an article and the winning recipe in today's paper. Recipe sounds very good, though it's rare that I don't see chicken included but this amount of pork along with the sausage sounds like it would be delicious!  

Here's a picture of the winner's jambalaya, the consistency of which is that you regularly see in locally made jambalaya:

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Jambal12

Here's the article, which also has this gentleman's recipe. He's no slouch in the jambalaya arena, as you'll see when reading the following article:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_5dc4fe6e-4fd7-11e8-a787-b3d52521316c.html

And so it just goes to show that Beth don't know 'nuthin 'bout jambalaya!

I think Norm hit the nail on the head when he said I was probably making more of a gumbo type dish, however it's not close to a true gumbo either.

Maybe I should change the name of mine to Tomato/Pepper/Onion/Sausage/Chicken/Shrimp Stuff over Rice......or "TPOSCSSR" for short! Hahahahahahaha!

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Crybaby wrote:All of Louisiana howled at the recent State dinner where "jambalaya" was served. The few Louisianians who attended reported it was nothing like jambalaya created and loved down here. The local paper, The Advocate, is having a jambalaya contest and the winner will be flown to DC to bring a pot of their "real" jambalaya to the White House!  

I quoted my own message above in case some of you hadn't seen it or hadn't remembered.  Well, the contest is over and they printed an article and the winning recipe in today's paper. Recipe sounds very good, though it's rare that I don't see chicken included but this amount of pork along with the sausage sounds like it would be delicious!  

Here's a picture of the winner's jambalaya, the consistency of which is that you regularly see in locally made jambalaya:

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Jambal12

Here's the article, which also has this gentleman's recipe. He's no slouch in the jambalaya arena, as you'll see when reading the following article:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_5dc4fe6e-4fd7-11e8-a787-b3d52521316c.html

And so it just goes to show that Beth don't know 'nuthin 'bout jambalaya!

I think Norm hit the nail on the head when he said I was probably making more of a gumbo type dish, however it's not close to a true gumbo either.

Maybe I should change the name of mine to Tomato/Pepper/Onion/Sausage/Chicken/Shrimp Stuff over Rice......or "TPOSCSSR" for short!   Hahahahahahaha!

Your version sounds better. It is nice to see what an authentic recipe is, but sometimes an altered version that strays far from the original tastes better.
Last night is was Honey baked ham on croissants with Swiss, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet gherins and honey mustard. Tonight will probably be some sort of sandwich again.
Great news! Friend of ours just won his first Grammy. He got it in the mail today. It was for some sort of sound on an album in 2017. He is a sound expert and does all the sound for many awards shows and things.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I am not impressed with his recipe. What kind of sausage? Season the stock with what? I always need more info than some people are willing to share.

Bugster, from the look of the finished dish I would suggest boudin sausage was used, which is a typical New Orleans ingredient. It has pork, rice, ofal and seasonings ground together and stuffed in a fairly stiff/crunchy casing. And the seasoning would certainly have to be the cook's favorite cajun mix, like Tony Chachere or some other commercial blend.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am not impressed with his recipe. What kind of sausage? Season the stock with what? I always need more info than some people are willing to share.

Bugster, from the look of the finished dish I would suggest boudin sausage was used, which is a typical New Orleans ingredient.  It has pork, rice, ofal and seasonings ground together and stuffed in a fairly stiff/crunchy casing.  And the seasoning would certainly have to be the cook's favorite cajun mix, like Tony Chachere or some other commercial blend.  

Thanks so much for clarifying things. Boudin doesn't sound like something I want to eat but I am sure another, less "organic" variety would do. I have a feeling that I won't be able to make it 'cause we such issues with the gut. Perhaps making my own blend and leaving out the cayenne.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'm sure the man was just telling people how he made his jambalaya, Debbie, rather than thinking he was creating a recipe for print, as most people down here probably don't use a recipe when they make jambalaya and would make the recipe their own regardless of what he said.

To help you out, usually smoked pork sausage is used though some might use a hot version. You could use any sausage you wanted to but it would be much better if the sausage was smoked to give it a good flavor. I'm sure the seasonings he's speaking of are the ones he listed in the ingredients, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Most people here would probably use both black and red pepper (cayenne) and would also add hot sauce to it. Me? I'd skip the garlic powder and use fresh garlic with the onions. I'd also use the two peppers and would probably add some red pepper flakes as well, along with a good splash of Worcestershire sauce, too, and some Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce or Crystal Hot Sauce. You have to LIBERALLY season jambalaya before you add the rice, as the rice will absorb so much of the seasoning that if you don't over season it, it will come out bland (which people here would consider a failure!). Given how you can't handle spicy food, I doubt you'd like it very much unless you were making it for your husband who I think likes spicy things.

Here's a more detailed recipe you might find a bit easier; the quoted comments are from the lady who submitted the recipoe:

"Gonzales is the hometown of many of my relatives," writes Wogglesmom, and we know it's home to the Jambalaya Festival. "They are all excellent jambalaya cooks and I am lucky to have this easy recipe, and goodness, is it yummy!"

Gonzales Jambalaya
Makes 6 to 8 servings

1 whole cut-up chicken or any parts you like (about 3 pounds)
Tony Chacere's or other Creole seasoning
Oil for browning
1 pound smoked sausage (ideally, Veron's), cut in coin shapes
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large pod garlic, minced
2 cups long-grain rice
1 capful liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
Kitchen Bouquet for a browner color (if needed)

Season chicken with Tony's or any other seasoning and brown in oil. Remove chicken, and saute the onions, celery and garlic until onions are clear. Add the sausage and brown it. Return chicken to pot and add broth, Liquid Smoke and, if you want a browner color, Kitchen Bouquet.
Bring to a rolling boil and add rice. Bring again to a really hard rolling boil, stir, and lower heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Crybaby

Crybaby

muzicgirl wrote:I used to love Nick Stellino!  They don't run any of his shows in our market anymore.  Decades ago, I learned to make biscotti from Nick Stellino.

I'm kind of partial to him, too, Arden! He loves telling stories, and I do too and I like hearing stories as well.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:And so it just goes to show that Beth don't know 'nuthin 'bout jambalaya!

Maybe I should change the name of mine to Tomato/Pepper/Onion/Sausage/Chicken/Shrimp Stuff over Rice......or "TPOSCSSR" for short!   Hahahahahahaha!

Hey, it's your version and you always said it was your take on it. Believe it or not, Beth, I've seen something a dish that yours looks like in a couple of restaurants before called "Pasta Jambalaya," where they serve the regular jambalaya ingredients over pasta with lots of liquid like yours. I didn't order it but saw it being served at a nearby table once, and have seen a similarly labeled dish on a couple of other menus, too. We may not call it jambalaya but you can call it whatever you want as it's your dish!

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:

Bugster, from the look of the finished dish I would suggest boudin sausage was used, which is a typical New Orleans ingredient.  It has pork, rice, ofal and seasonings ground together and stuffed in a fairly stiff/crunchy casing.  And the seasoning would certainly have to be the cook's favorite cajun mix, like Tony Chachere or some other commercial blend.  

Thanks so much for clarifying things. Boudin doesn't sound like something I want to eat but I am sure another, less "organic" variety would do. I have a feeling that I won't be able to make it 'cause we such issues with the gut. Perhaps making my own blend and leaving out the cayenne.

Just so you know, boudin is not usually used in jambalaya, because it's also known as "rice sausage," and contains a lot of rice. It really wouldn't be suitable to "season" the jambalaya with, which is the job of the smoked sausage used.  Just FYI.

And like I said, Debbie, I doubt you would like it, as it's usually spicy. But trust me on one thing: "authentic" jambalaya is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. As you probably know, Louisiana food is reowned around the world and along with gumbo, jambalaya is probably one of the most loved dishes we're known for. Anyone can add their desired ingredients to it, they can change it up anyway they want, but I GUARANTEE you've never had anything as good as the jambalaya served down here. In certain parts of the state, red jambalaya is made (through the use of some tomato in it) but here in N.O., it's usually brown jambalaya.

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:

Beth, if you mean liver, then you're right. But most cooks or places well loved for their boudin would never use ofal. Maybe many years ago perhaps but not in my time anyway. It was once known as blood sausage as there was many years ago some blood of the pig used when they made it at slaughtering time. But never in modern times. And regular sausage casings are used when making boudin, and like most LA made sausages, we tend to use real casings and not artificial casings. Since boudin isn't normally smoked, when you see it sold in the store, it looks just like say the uncooked sausage sold and made by some groceries and sold in the meat case; it's made into links, too, whereas andouille is usually not made in small links but rather in casings of about 10 to 12 inches and longer.

Crybaby

Crybaby

One more point of interest: Boudin is often made and rolled into balls instead of putting it in a casing. The name? Why, Boudin Balls of course!  Very, very good. It's not as spicy as say andouille sausage but lots of people will make it spicy.

Here's a picture of boudin. As you will note, it's full of rice. And when it's grilled or fried, Beth, the casings will become kind of crispy if that's what you were thinking of.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Boudin11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Beth, if you mean liver, then you're right. But most cooks or places well loved for their boudin would never use ofal. Maybe many years ago perhaps but not in my time anyway. It was once known as blood sausage as there was many years ago some blood of the pig used when they made it at slaughtering time. But never in modern times. And regular sausage casings are used when making boudin, and like most LA made sausages, we tend to use real casings and not artificial casings. Since boudin isn't normally smoked, when you see it sold in the store, it looks just like say the uncooked sausage sold and made by some groceries and sold in the meat case; it's made into links, too, whereas andouille is usually not made in small links but rather in casings of about 10 to 12 inches and longer.

Yes, Michelle....the recipes I've seen used a bit of the liver and heart....I'm sure it's different for many but a bit of the 'innards' adds a richness and just a bit of the 'mineral-ly' taste that enhances the pork. But they all used a course grind and all had rice included ~ which was, I'm sure, a means to stretch the amount of meat product used and to 'lighten' the meat so it wasn't really 'packed' too tightly in the casings, which could cause them to burst open when cooked.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane said earlier he thought it might rain.....Noooooo! I had a rib eye thawed and seasoned and coming to room temperature on the counter. But he was wrong (probably a first for him in his mind.....) and he got the coals about 1,800° and my steak cooked in about 3 minutes total. I think I singed my fingertips when I tried to turn the asparagus so it wouldn't just turn into charcoal atop that fire!

I also had red beets and added them to the cooked red beet stems and leaves. It's a vegetable we both really love. And since I still had two romaine heads, I made Grandma's Summer Salad with some thinly sliced sweet onion and a dressing of a tiny bit of sour cream whipped up with the Cider Vinegar Syrup.

I am stuffed to the gills!

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 05_10_10

116May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Getting hungry looking at that little cast iron pot will all those goodies.

We had Shepherds Pie ( dry cow flop ) Sometimes a recipe crumbles.
This was like elephant skin. I think Tina set the temp. too high!
She said it was good. ...... Oh Well! .......

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Img_0911

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Poor Jimmy! A favorite meal 'ruined' with a bad new recipe......

Well, like my Mom use to say, "If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it....."

Actually, it looks pretty good to me ~ I'll bet I coulda peeled the cheese off in one layer and still had the yummy mashed potatoes left!

Hahahahahaha......It'll be more to your liking next time, I'm sure.

118May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, Poor Jimmy!  A favorite meal 'ruined' with a bad new recipe......

Well, like my Mom use to say, "If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it....."

Actually, it looks pretty good to me ~ I'll bet I coulda peeled the cheese off in one layer and still had the yummy mashed potatoes left!

Hahahahahaha......It'll be more to your liking next time, I'm sure.

Every time it comes out great, but this one No
The cheese was a dry cheese ..... a cheddar for taco's.

119May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie loves that hard cooked cheese. It is like a cracker to her. I sort of like it too. I have had a few lasagnas come out that way. A quick fix is to peel off the whole sheet of petrified cheese and sprinkle on some new and pop it back into the oven for a few minutes.

120May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Katie loves that hard cooked cheese. It is like a cracker to her. I sort of like it too. I have had a few lasagnas come out that way. A quick fix is to peel off the whole sheet of petrified cheese and sprinkle on some new and pop it back into the oven for a few minutes.

I love crispy cheese too, and that was fine, but the potatoes were dry.
The ground beef was coarse ground too! I have no clue where she got that.
She did a great job, but $h!t happened I guess! May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 2787578702

121May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:49 am

NormM

NormM

This isn't my picture, I got it off the internet because I didn't have any pictures of ones I have made but sometimes if I have grated cheese left over- especially parmesan, I will put it in piles on parchment and bake it crisp. It's good with soup, for snacks and for parties.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 53449710

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

122May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Funny.....but you know how I complain about cheese and how I don't care for it?

I've actually MADE the Parmesan Crisps ~ didn't eat them, but I've made them. Served them with cocktails and everyone who ate them (and, yes, they were all gone at the end of the night) thought they were great.

No one noticed I just ate the hard salami and spicy capicola ham with crackers.

Of course, I've also made a 'killer' sauce pan macaroni & cheese for my kids and Dane, also the kind of baked mac & cheese topped with potato chips no less.....they loved it but I never had to taste it to serve it. I'd make it for their supper when I had a meeting or something going on. That way it was YEARS before my girls figured out that Mom didn't eat cheese. I didn't want them to grow up with the same distaste for it as I have. It's a hard "No, thank you." on a food list.

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:This isn't my picture, I got it off the internet because I didn't have any pictures of ones I have made but sometimes if I have grated cheese left over- especially parmesan, I will put it in piles on parchment and bake it crisp.  It's good with soup, for snacks and for parties.

I picked up a bag of parmesan crisps at Costco the other day. They are called WHISPS and are pricey - $9.00 a bag. It was fine for me because the bag would last me several months but Katie found them and almost ate the entire bag. Next time I will have to hide them from her. Yesterday I made a batch of onion dip. I went in late last night to raid the chips and dip only to find all of the dip was gone. Katie and Joe got to it first. I wish they could have saved me a little bit. I hate that when you get all worked up for something only to find it gone.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
NormM wrote:This isn't my picture, I got it off the internet because I didn't have any pictures of ones I have made but sometimes if I have grated cheese left over- especially parmesan, I will put it in piles on parchment and bake it crisp.  It's good with soup, for snacks and for parties.

I picked up a bag of parmesan crisps at Costco the other day. They are called WHISPS and are pricey - $9.00 a bag. It was fine for me because the bag would last me several months but Katie found them and almost ate the entire bag. Next time I will have to hide them from her. Yesterday I made a batch of onion dip. I went in late last night to raid the chips and dip only to find all of the dip was gone. Katie and Joe got to it first. I wish they could have saved me a little bit. I hate that when you get all worked up for something only to find it gone.

I tell everybody,"I don't care what you take and finish, but let me at least know, so I can put it on the grocery list!......

bethk

bethk
Admin

I happened on the grocery ads today and noticed wings were on sale.....that's all it took to settle in my head as to what would be for supper.

As I've mentioned, Dane gets the 'drummies', all slathered with a Caribbean Jerk sauce (rather appropriate if you ask me.....LOL) and I get all the 'flappers' with a light coating of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I made Penzey seasoned green beans and my San Francisco favorite, Rice-A-Roni.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 5 05_11_11

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum