Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fried Shallots (Microwaved)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fried Shallots (Microwaved) on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Crybaby

Fried Shallots (Microwaved)
Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, May/June 2018

3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Place shallots in medium bowl with 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat stirring and microwaving in 2-minute increments until shallots began to brown (4 to 6 minutes), then stir and microwave in 30-second increments until shallots are deep golden (30 seconds to 2 minutes).
2. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towel-lined plate; season with salt. Let drain and turn crisp, about 5 minutes, before serving.

Tips! Sprinkle on salads and sandwiches; use cooked oil in dressing.

2 Re: Fried Shallots (Microwaved) on Fri May 04, 2018 2:19 pm

muzicgirl

Crybaby wrote:Fried Shallots (Microwaved)
Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, May/June 2018

3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Place shallots in medium bowl with 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat stirring and microwaving in 2-minute increments until shallots began to brown (4 to 6 minutes), then stir and microwave in 30-second increments until shallots are deep golden (30 seconds to 2 minutes).
2. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towel-lined plate; season with salt. Let drain and turn crisp, about 5 minutes, before serving.

Tips! Sprinkle on salads and sandwiches; use cooked oil in dressing.

sounds good, I'll have to try this. I've never caramelized onions (or shallots) in the microwave before. certainly would be a lot faster!

3 Re: Fried Shallots (Microwaved) on Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Crybaby

muzicgirl wrote:sounds good, I'll have to try this.  I've never caramelized onions (or shallots)  in the microwave before.  certainly would be a lot faster!

Just so it's clear, MG, this is FRIED shallots, not caramelized. But the fried ones are good on salads, on sandwiches and even as a garnish. Imelda uses a lot of them and so does Beth. Both of them now buy them in a jar in lieu of making them, which is a LOT easier! Wink

But then today you can caramelized onions in the slow cooker. I keep saying I'm going to do it but never have. But I saw it on The Kitchen on the Food Network channel and it sure seemed a lot better than on the stove-- a lot less hands on time, you know, as you let it run about 8 hours in the slow cooker. I'm determined to try it soon!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum