Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 12]

151March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking last night. One of Dane's golf friends from Toledo stopped by. His mother and her husband live two communities over from us and he's been down a couple weeks to help her out as her husband had to be in the hospital for a few days.....medicine mix-up. Dave is just now starting to do his research on assisted living/memory care facilities in Florida. He has POA and is Trustee on their trust (apparently he was the best choice even though her husband has 4 children....who would love to have an inheritance.....) So, we gave him some ideas of where to start and what to look for. Right now he's pretty overwhelmed but the medical emergency is over and his mom and her husband are fine to take care of one another again.

So, since we were visiting (and I didn't feel like cooking), we decided to go out for supper. We ended up at Metro Diner. Dave had a turkey plate, looked like a Thanksgiving dinner on a plate, Dane had Country Fried Steak and mashed potatoes. He said it was really good. I ended up with shrimp and grits and was very pleased.

I had simmered my corned beef most of the afternoon and now it's been drained and is stashed in the garage refrigerator in the strained cooking liquid. Today I'll take any excess fat off the broth, slice the brisket into thin slices before reheating and use most of the broth to cook the vegetables. I invited Ana, our Brazilian neighbor, over for the meal. She said she never had Corned Beef until she came to the US but it's her all-time favorite.

Tomorrow we're suppose to drive to Disney Springs for a little day of shopping with Lyn's sister, Sandi. Me? I just go for the food! LOL

152March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am

NormM

NormM

I always try to make it look nice on as few plates as possible so I can take a picture of it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

153March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We were going to have the yellow fin tuna tonight but we have to put it on hold for a day. My BIL called early this morning and it seems my niece and her friend went out drinking and had a little too much. They took an Uber which is smart, but the friend was so $hit-faced that went she went to the bathroom, she fell against the toilet tank and broke it. Water leaked everywhere. My niece got hysterical when my BIL tried to tell her how to turn off the water. She said she couldn't do it. Finally she got a neighbor to do it. So they called my husband to drive down to San Diego and put in a new toilet. They called him to save money. They know a plumber would cost at least twice as much. They should be paying him twice as much. Tightwads.

154March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:I'm back.. I went back to see my family and celebrate Chinese New Year from February to March, Dirk went with me, we stayed for 4 weeks, while I was there I could not get on this site, I'll try to catch up later

Not much cooking here, we both are on diet, he just found out that his cholesterol is a bit high now, and we both are way overweight, since we came back I cooked chicken breast ( my less favorite part of chicken, but now I start liking it ) and ate more green veggies, we ate smaller portion too, no late snacking

It's nice for Dane to go with you this time, Imelda. I'm sure you guys had a nice time, especially since you had a full four weeks to do whatever is on your "to do" list whenever you go back to your former home.

Good luck with eating less and eating healthier. It's amazing how easy it is to put on weight and how much more difficult it gets to lose it once you reach a certain age -- for me, it was around 40. Right now my husband Brian is really underweight and I've been buying candy for him (he loves sweets) to supplement the food and those Boost drinks he's been eating/drinking every day. Problem is he breaks out the candy once we're in bed for the night and I've been indulging more than I'd have liked. I am hoping he at least maintains his weight but of course, I put on a couple of pounds from eating that damn candy! But luckily for me, his appetite seems to be coming back lately so I can stop buying it and try to get him to let up on purchasing any candy for a while...

155March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I finished cooking my chicken breasts.. I cut the breasts in half, coated iwith flour mixed with salt and black pepper, browned both sides, put aside, then I sauteed lots of onion and mushrooms, added some low sodium chicken broth, cooked for 5 minutes, thickened the broth with some flour, put the meat back, simmered till the meat are done, I garnished with some homegrown chives and fried shallots

So glad to see you stop by, Imelda!

Your meals always look SO delicious.  It's like I can taste them 'through the screen' !
i agree!

Ditto here. They always look so FRESH to me, too. They grow a decent amount of vegetables, too, and she just seems to create tons of innovative dishes, usually involving vegetables and unique ways of featuring them. And her pics always make me hungry, too!

156March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'M STUFFED!!!

Supper was a success according to Mr. Amazing ~ he even liked the Quickles!  The pork shoulder ribs benefited from a douse of the reduced braising liquid and it was counter-balanced by the slight sweetness of the Korean BBQ sauce I used to lightly braise the bok choy.  The Trader Joe's California Sprouted Mixed Rice was just the right starch to compliment the meal and bring it together.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 03_11_11

Looked fantastic too, Beth!

157March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:I nearly always cook Calrose medium grain rice in a rice cooker and I always rinse it about 3 times.

Norm, you are so right. I asked you that a few years ago, and you mentioned at least three rinses. Tina likes a sticky glue like rice I don't
And I rinsed the rice that comes out sticky, and it makes a 100% difference.

Rinsing really does make a difference with long grain rice, I think. I usually use Basmati or jasmine just cause it always comes out perfect, whether you cook it on the stove or in the microwave. And no rinsing necessary and it's NEVER sticky. I'm with you, as I'm no fan of sticky rice either.

158March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Friend is coming for dinner.  I was looking forward to making (and eating) a great seafood dinner.............. then I remembered that she didn't like shrimp. She and her daughter and yellow lab lived with me on the farm for almost a year when hubby was in the nursing home.  So, I called her and asked about other seafood........... "Seafood is really wasted on me" she said, so I'm making chicken cacciatorre.  I remember she liked that. I'll save the seafood for guests who really like it.  And, am saving money too!

Welcome to my world, Lore, as Brian eats no seafood (well, charbroiled oysters of all things and occasionally catfish fingers if they're thin pieces). And don't forget -- we're in N.O. and seafood is plentiful, fresh and well priced, too. I cook it sometimes if a guest is coming and have something else for Brian. I'd love to cook it more often but just usually do not since it's more enjoyable for me to make something he likes. How nice of her to be so gracious about saying she didn't like it, you know?

159March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We were going to have the yellow fin tuna tonight but we have to put it on hold for a day. My BIL called early this morning and it seems my niece and her friend went out drinking and had a little too much. They took an Uber which is smart, but the friend was so $hit-faced that went she went to the bathroom, she fell against the toilet tank and broke it. Water leaked everywhere. My niece got hysterical when my BIL tried to tell her how to turn off the water. She said she couldn't do it. Finally she got a neighbor to do it. So they called my husband to drive down to San Diego and put in a new toilet. They called him to save money. They know a plumber would cost at least twice as much. They should be paying him twice as much. Tightwads.

Boy, ain't that a kick in the @$$.....
Same thing happened to me with a friend. 2 AM a while ago, our friends son came home totally $xxt faced. He somehow grabbed the toilet tank, and cracked it off. I got the panic call to run down to shut off the water. Only 2 blocks away, but what a mess.
They were lucky the toilet was able to have the tank only replaced. The wifes brother in law was a plumber; so he replaced it.

160March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:I made an Alton Brown recipe for ribs done in the oven today. I thought I'd try it to see if any of it would be good in the smoker but I like my old way better.

No surprise, as one sure gets used to that wonderful smoked flavor.

We haven't smoked anything but as soon as Brian is up to it, we're going to tell Al, who has 2 turkeys in his freezer (he gets one of them for storage!), to go ahead and more those puppies to his fridge. Last time we did this after Thanksgiving, we had him over for smoked turkey dinner and then sent him home with his own smoked turkey. Nothing like ribs, though...

161March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:It was sort of sad to see the place go, but all the stuff went with the house. We took some stuff last year, but there was a lot of junk and stuff still in the house and garage. I told them the uncle said he put a few thousand dollars in a jar and a book; but didn't remember where. I told them I could get a company to trash it all, but they agreed to buy it as is; lock, stock, and barrel.... hahahahahah .... ( there is no money ) hahahahah

I literally laughed out loud. Then laughed again reading your message to Brian, who also got a kick out of it!

162March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:We were going to have the yellow fin tuna tonight but we have to put it on hold for a day. My BIL called early this morning and it seems my niece and her friend went out drinking and had a little too much. They took an Uber which is smart, but the friend was so $hit-faced that went she went to the bathroom, she fell against the toilet tank and broke it. Water leaked everywhere. My niece got hysterical when my BIL tried to tell her how to turn off the water. She said she couldn't do it. Finally she got a neighbor to do it. So they called my husband to drive down to San Diego and put in a new toilet. They called him to save money. They know a plumber would cost at least twice as much. They should be paying him twice as much. Tightwads.

Boy, ain't that a kick in the @$$.....
Same thing happened to me with a friend. 2 AM a while ago, our friends son came home totally $xxt faced. He somehow grabbed the toilet tank, and cracked it off. I got the panic call to run down to shut off the water. Only 2 blocks away, but what a mess.
They were lucky the toilet was able to have the tank only replaced. The wifes brother in law was a plumber; so he replaced it.

That is what Joe did: he placed the tank.

163March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:It was sort of sad to see the place go, but all the stuff went with the house. We took some stuff last year, but there was a lot of junk and stuff still in the house and garage. I told them the uncle said he put a few thousand dollars in a jar and a book; but didn't remember where. I told them I could get a company to trash it all, but they agreed to buy it as is; lock, stock, and barrel.... hahahahahah .... ( there is no money ) hahahahah

I literally laughed out loud. Then laughed again reading your message to Brian, who also got a kick out of it!  

I was reading a story about some family that was cleaning out their grandfather's house. They came across some baseball cards of Ty Cobb. They sold them for $3,000,000. Then they just found another wedged in a book. I wonder what that will bring?

164March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought some more of those Betty Crocker Mug Treats in blueberry, cinnamon roll, fudge brownie. I made them all at once and Katie and I had a cake orgy at midnight. OOH, they were so good. I just love warm cake and frosting!

165March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had invited Ana, from Brazil, for my St. Patrick's Day feast.  She said they don't offer corned beef in Brazil, it's an American meal, but since living in the US since the 1990's she's grown to love the meal.  The vegetables are a big draw for her as well.

I also made a banana cream pie for dessert.....just the cook & serve pudding with banana slices in a chocolate Oreo (store bought) crust.  But I didn't get a pic of it.  But you know what it looks like ~ and while you're picturing it in your minds, picture it as more scooped out with a spoon than a nice slice.....LOL

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 03_18_10

I do like my method of cooking the brisket the day before and letting it cool in the cooking liquid.  Then I can get nice slices that don't fall apart into bits.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 03_18_11

166March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:My 85 year old uncle was also able to sell his place with everything in it.  He had a big property, two car garage, two cottages, two big barns/equipment sheds.  And it was all full.  My sons and some friends went there two or three times, bought some equipment, were given some equipment, but there was still soooo much stuff.................. good stuff and crappy stuff.  Remember Sanford and Son???? Pretty much like that.  

Since he left it all just after his 85 th. b-day last October, he's been to Germany twice; Cuba, Australia, Hawaii and British Columbia.  He still has 5 living siblings in Germany (He's the baby of the family)  When the weather in Germany is better, he said he's going back.  I'll go with him.  Most of his very large family (there were 12 siblings) have been at our place at one time, (some several times) and it would be really nice for me to see some of them again.   

He is amazing, had a colostomy about 15 years ago, but manages very well with a bag.

Wow, Lore! Your uncle's place sounds like some of the places featured on the television show, "American Pickers," which I really enjoy watching when I can. I don't know if you get that show in Canada but it's about two guys who search for interesting things, some valuable and some just collectible, from people who "collected" things their whole lives, some good stuff like you say and some crappy stuff or just junk. It's fascinating to watch them hunt through stuff to find things they can sell and some for their own personal collections. It's funny to see elderly people trying to get rid of some of their "stuff" prior to passing away as their children aren't interested and they're worried all of it will be lost and the dollar value not appreciated. Yet what often happens is they're hesitant to sell much of their things to the "pickers" as some of the stuff they just can't part with. And of course, these pickers know what the retail value of many items are but want reasonable but not ridiculous prices that still allow them to make a profit selling the items. I find it fascinating to see what people collected and what those items are selling for currently.

Prior to moving to Florida full time, Beth and Dane had someone come in and sell the contents of their home (after they given items away and removed the items they wanted to keep). I think it's a very good way for people to get rid of a houseful (or more!) of items when someone passes away, too. We were also friends with two guys who moved from Cleveland to New Orleans years ago and did the same thing with all the items they had, as they wanted to use the money they made to start all over in New Orleans. They had tons of antiques and wanted to get rid of all those items and buy new, more contemporary things once they got here. They used to make me laugh by saying it was so hard to keep all of those antiques and collectibles even dusted all the time! They were more than satisfied with the funds they got after the sale was conducted over the course of several days but they found it funny that some of the most valuable things sold for under their value while say a rug they paid $250 for sold for $400! They said lots of the less expensive stuff sold for more than they'd originally bought it for. I laughed and said people probably assumed some things were worth more since they were in the company of other valuable items. In the end, they said they got more than they thought they would garner from the sale.

Where was your Uncle's property located, in Canada or someplace else? He sounds like one heck of a man who's enjoying his money while he's alive. Personally, I would kill to go to Cuba and sure envy his opportunity to do so. Not to mention Australia and while I was close, the place of my dreams, New Zealand. How lovely that he not only has the desire and physical ability to travel so much but the funds to do so, too. A great way to enjoy your later years.

167March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am reading an article about foods you didn't know you could microwave.

1.garlic: zap 15 secs and the skins slide right off
2.whole citrus fruit: zap 10 secs and they are easier to juice
3.Toast nuts: in a heat proof bowl stir nuts and seeds with some oil and zap in 60 sec increments. I takes about 5 minutes
4.soften brown sugar: put in plastic bag with moist paper towel and zap 25 secs
5.bread proofing: put 8oz cup water in back of unit. Put dough in micro-safe bowl in center. Zap on low 3 mins. Let sit 3 mins. Zap 3 mins. Let rest 6 mins.
6.crystalized honey: zap in 40 sec increments and stir each time
7.hard squashes peel easier: zap 3 mins on low
8.to avoid crying when chopping an onion: wash, peel, trim ends. Zap 30 secs
9.froth milk: fill mason jar no more than half full.Screw on lid and shake 30 to 60 secs. Zap 30 secs so the foam rises.
10.French toast??? Rub a pat of butter in the bottom of a mug. Fill to the top with chopped bread. In another cup mix 1 egg, 3 T. milk, sprinkle of cinnamon. Pour into cup and zap 1 minute. (Sounds like milk toast to me)

168March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

Got 4 big corned beefs in a pot of Guinness' beer, garlic, and spices cooking, and the aroma is driving us crazy.
Cabbage and potatoes will be cooked with bacon later.

A Big jar of pickled eggs and red beets to complement the meal.
Marble rye bread and butter. Irish Soda Bread too!

A meal of spaghetti with meat sauce for son Jimmy. He will not eat corned beef. He says, "Its red and looks like raw meat!? ?" Yuck!

That sure was a lot of food you made, Jimmy. How many people came to eat anyway? We like corned beef but usually grill it instead of cooking it the conventional way. Brian, being originally from New England, doesn't care for boiled dinners of any sort. Me? I like it any way you make it!

169March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:My 85 year old uncle was also able to sell his place with everything in it.  He had a big property, two car garage, two cottages, two big barns/equipment sheds.  And it was all full.  My sons and some friends went there two or three times, bought some equipment, were given some equipment, but there was still soooo much stuff.................. good stuff and crappy stuff.  Remember Sanford and Son???? Pretty much like that.  

Since he left it all just after his 85 th. b-day last October, he's been to Germany twice; Cuba, Australia, Hawaii and British Columbia.  He still has 5 living siblings in Germany (He's the baby of the family)  When the weather in Germany is better, he said he's going back.  I'll go with him.  Most of his very large family (there were 12 siblings) have been at our place at one time, (some several times) and it would be really nice for me to see some of them again.   

He is amazing, had a colostomy about 15 years ago, but manages very well with a bag.

Wow, Lore!  Your uncle's place sounds like some of the places featured on the television show, "American Pickers," which I really enjoy watching when I can. I don't know if you get that show in Canada but it's about two guys who search for interesting things, some valuable and some just collectible, from people who "collected" things their whole lives, some good stuff like you say and some crappy stuff or just junk. It's fascinating to watch them hunt through stuff to find things they can sell and some for their own personal collections. It's funny to see elderly people trying to get rid of some of their "stuff" prior to passing away as their children aren't interested and they're worried all of it will be lost and the dollar value not appreciated. Yet what often happens is they're hesitant to sell much of their things to the "pickers" as some of the stuff they just can't part with. And of course, these pickers know what the retail value of many items are but want reasonable but not ridiculous prices that still allow them to make a profit selling the items. I find it fascinating to see what people collected and what those items are selling for currently.  

Prior to moving to Florida full time, Beth and Dane had someone come in and sell the contents of their home (after they given items away and removed the items they wanted to keep). I think it's a very good way for people to get rid of a houseful (or more!) of items when someone passes away, too. We were also friends with two guys who moved from Cleveland to New Orleans years ago and did the same thing with all the items they had, as they wanted to use the money they made to start all over in New Orleans. They had tons of antiques and wanted to get rid of all those items and buy new, more contemporary things once they got here. They used to make me laugh by saying it was so hard to keep all of those antiques and collectibles even dusted all the time! They were more than satisfied with the funds they got after the sale was conducted over the course of several days but they found it funny that some of the most valuable things sold for under their value while say a rug they paid $250 for sold for $400!  They said lots of the less expensive stuff sold for more than they'd originally bought it for. I laughed and said people probably assumed some things were worth more since they were in the company of other valuable items. In the end, they said they got more than they thought they would garner from the sale.

Where was your Uncle's property located, in Canada or someplace else? He sounds like one heck of a man who's enjoying his money while he's alive. Personally, I would kill to go to Cuba and sure envy his opportunity to do so. Not to mention Australia and while I was close, the place of my dreams, New Zealand.  How lovely that he not only has the desire and physical ability to travel so much but the funds to do so, too. A great way to enjoy your later years.

There used to be a show on TV where these people would buy these lovely old houses in disrepair and the contents. The contents used to blow my mind. I can't believe someone would sell a full house. Oh the treasures that they came across! I remember where one person had uncovered a room that had been walled in. Inside was a boxed vintage wedding dress, a little boys velvet suit. And the antiques! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

170March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Lore wrote:We'll be having our third (annual) barbecue in May where Maggie will do a 50's show/singalong. Gonna blow my own horn here a bit, please forgive me......................... When I moved in here 4 years ago and found out about the social committee I asked "Do we have barbecues for all the residents?" I was told the City doesn't allow it, the fire department doesn't allow it, the board of directors doesn't allow it"................... I said, WHAT???? We own the building, we own the lawns, the parking lot etc., etc.,....................... And guess what? we now have barbecues! Next one coming in May!

I've tooted your horn many times and I'm going to toot it again, Lore! The people who live in your building really won the Irish sweepstakes when you moved in! I remember that first barbecue when I think it was going to be $5 a person -- and lots of people here said that was too little money to cover the food, tables, chairs, etc. and all the things you needed to put everything together. Man, you showed us all and got it done and got it done cheaply enough so people would come! I personally think you're the CAT'S MEOW! I smile when I think of what a fine bed and breakfast you and Dieter must've run. Many people don't realize running a B&B is a lot of work and to make money doing it, you have to be organized, willing to work and able to do some things on the fly. I wish I could've been a guest there while you were running it. The condo building has definitely benefitted from your experience and your willingness to organize so many things for everyone to enjoy.

171March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I was reading a story about some family that was cleaning out their grandfather's house. They came across some baseball cards of Ty Cobb. They sold them for $3,000,000. Then they just found another wedged in a book. I wonder what that will bring?

Actually, there may be some old items that may be of some value. Her uncle who lived in the house after he retired at 80 y/o , had tons of 8x10 Black and white glossy prints, of all the movie stars.
He used to do posters for two Movie theaters in Newark, NJ from his sign shop. Even King Kong movie star / girl ??? forgot her name, but with the beast.
It's fun going through the stuff. Plus old covers of the Saturday Evening Post and Life Magazine. Early as 1947. I was 3 y/o. LOL I love going through old magazines. Hundreds of pictures too!

172March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:

Wow, Lore!  Your uncle's place sounds like some of the places featured on the television show, "American Pickers," which I really enjoy watching when I can. I don't know if you get that show in Canada but it's about two guys who search for interesting things, some valuable and some just collectible, from people who "collected" things their whole lives, some good stuff like you say and some crappy stuff or just junk. It's fascinating to watch them hunt through stuff to find things they can sell and some for their own personal collections. It's funny to see elderly people trying to get rid of some of their "stuff" prior to passing away as their children aren't interested and they're worried all of it will be lost and the dollar value not appreciated. Yet what often happens is they're hesitant to sell much of their things to the "pickers" as some of the stuff they just can't part with. And of course, these pickers know what the retail value of many items are but want reasonable but not ridiculous prices that still allow them to make a profit selling the items. I find it fascinating to see what people collected and what those items are selling for currently.  

Prior to moving to Florida full time, Beth and Dane had someone come in and sell the contents of their home (after they given items away and removed the items they wanted to keep). I think it's a very good way for people to get rid of a houseful (or more!) of items when someone passes away, too. We were also friends with two guys who moved from Cleveland to New Orleans years ago and did the same thing with all the items they had, as they wanted to use the money they made to start all over in New Orleans. They had tons of antiques and wanted to get rid of all those items and buy new, more contemporary things once they got here. They used to make me laugh by saying it was so hard to keep all of those antiques and collectibles even dusted all the time! They were more than satisfied with the funds they got after the sale was conducted over the course of several days but they found it funny that some of the most valuable things sold for under their value while say a rug they paid $250 for sold for $400!  They said lots of the less expensive stuff sold for more than they'd originally bought it for. I laughed and said people probably assumed some things were worth more since they were in the company of other valuable items. In the end, they said they got more than they thought they would garner from the sale.

Where was your Uncle's property located, in Canada or someplace else? He sounds like one heck of a man who's enjoying his money while he's alive. Personally, I would kill to go to Cuba and sure envy his opportunity to do so. Not to mention Australia and while I was close, the place of my dreams, New Zealand.  How lovely that he not only has the desire and physical ability to travel so much but the funds to do so, too. A great way to enjoy your later years.
His place was in Havelock, Ontario.  On the Trent canal system.  Waterfront, half way between Peterboro  and Ottawa.

173March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

At least I know supper tonight, will be Pizza from Alfredo's.
Tina is bringing it home from her shopping spree in PA.
She is also bringing back rings of smoked, and fresh kielbasi, plush smoked kielbasi loaf. There are bakery items too from great bakeries, and Chocolate Candy from the candy factory in Taylor, PA. The best dark chocolate and milk chocolate covered nuts we had ever tasted.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 MilkDarkNutAssorment0061

174March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is plush smoked kielbasi loaf?

175March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What is plush smoked kielbasi loaf?

It was my twisted brain......LOL     supposed to be plus

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum