Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Mushroom/chicken stew is really good,  White and wild mushrooms, boneless skinless chicken thighs is really good.  My husband would not have liked it, he didn't like 'shrooms.  I love them.

This sounds really good.....got all my favorites: chicken thighs and mushrooms.

Could you expand a bit more on the details? Normally I would toss in a few sprigs of fresh thyme because it goes so well with both the chicken and the mushrooms.....

52February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, it was kind of spicy to my taste, but I am probably more tolerant to spicy food than some.  What got me the most about the person who made onion soup was that she used cream sherry instead of dry sherry, and that she said she tries to stick to the original recipe on the first go around.

I remember one time I didn't look at the bottle and used sweet Marsala for my Chicken Marsala ~ HUGE mistake! LOL

(but, hey, at least I realized it was MY mistake and I didn't blame it on the recipe! Hahahaha)

53February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, Temecula has a charming old town. It also has stores that are important to me. It is hot but no worse than Lake Forest. We can get a huge home out there which would be nice. There is a small gang element but not too bad. We'll see what happens. The biggest problem I see is if we sell our home and the buyers won't lease it back to us until we find a new home, then where can we go? We have 6 animals. I think an animal friendly hotel/motel would be too expensive. I have a feeling we might end up camping inside my sister's other home that is being remodeled, if she lets us, that is. She is just nasty enough to say no. Maybe Joe's brother would take us with two cats but I don't know where Katie would go. Maybe she has someone she can farm out her pets to.

54February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:Beth, it was kind of spicy to my taste, but I am probably more tolerant to spicy food than some.  What got me the most about the person who made onion soup was that she used cream sherry instead of dry sherry, and that she said she tries to stick to the original recipe on the first go around.

I remember one time I didn't look at the bottle and used sweet Marsala for my Chicken Marsala ~ HUGE mistake!  LOL

(but, hey, at least I realized it was MY mistake and I didn't blame it on the recipe!  Hahahaha)

There are so many recipes out there that don't state whether the liquor is sweet or dry and if you have never cooked with it how are you supposed to know?

55February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Mushroom/chicken stew is really good,  White and wild mushrooms, boneless skinless chicken thighs is really good.  My husband would not have liked it, he didn't like 'shrooms.  I love them.

This sounds really good.....got all my favorites:  chicken thighs and mushrooms.

Could you expand a bit more on the details?  Normally I would toss in a few sprigs of fresh thyme because it goes so well with both the chicken and the mushrooms.....

[ltr] 05 Feb 2018 20:29 #1[/ltr]

4 cups button mushrooms, halved
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 pkg (14 g) dried mixed mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped 
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (I used boneless and went with the shorter cooking time)
1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp. grainy mustard
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup 10% cream 
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup lightly-packed tarragon leaves or  microgreens (I used mixed greens)

In slow cooker, combine button mushrooms, shallots, reconstituted mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; arrange chicken over top.
Whisk together broth, wine, and mustard; pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced, 6 to 8 hours
Whisk together cornstarch, cream, and vinegar until smooth; pour into slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Garnish with tarragon.  Serve with steamed rice or mashed potatoes.  
Makes 4 to 6 servings.  Hands-on time 10 minutes.  Cooking time 6 to 8 hours.

Per each of 6 servings: about 262 cal, 34 g pro, 8 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 12g carb (2 g dietary fiber, 3 g sugar), 152 mg chol, 710 mg sodium, 660 mg potassium. %RDI: 5% calcium, 20% iron, 4% vit A, 2% vit C, 9% folate.

(From Canadian Living, 2018, One Pot Suppers.)

OK.  That is the basic recipe. I couldn't find microgreens (sprouts) so I used watercress.  I don't like tarragon (tastes like licorice) so besides the dried thyme, I added a few sprigs of fresh. also, instead of dried, reconstituted 'shrooms, I used a ten ounce package of mixed mushrooms, there were shiitake, oyster and crimini. It was a LOT of mushrooms.

I used boneless,skinless thighs.  Liquid was a lot, I think when I make it again, I will reduce the liquid.  I think there was more than 1/4 c. of the watercress, it made the dish nice and peppery. 
I divided the finished stew into two portions.  one has gone into the freezer without finishing with the cream.  When I take that out, I will probably just thicken it with potato or corn starch and eat it with some tagliatelle noodles.  The broth is very flavourful.  Yummy!
Good luck.  I love mushrooms!

This recipe was posted on a chatline of B&B owners that I know.  Jan's husband has celiac so she's always looking for interesting GF recipes.  I also have her recipe for the absolutely best gluten free plain biscuits. 

56February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Lore.....I like your sub of watercress ~ 1/4 c. of fresh tarragon seems like a LOT to me. I would probably use a couple teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon because the flavor can, IMO, overpower a dish.

And I also love to use the mixed fresh mushrooms when I can find them. Last time I got them at Fresh Market and there were Shitake, Oyster & Enoke (sp?) ~ all with super flavor. I'll bet the grainy mustard seeds were nice in the finished product, too. The finish with the white wine vinegar always gives a surprisingly nice 'punch' to the taste.

57February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am not fond of mustard on things, but like using it in cooking.  I am really pleased with this dish, it's a keeper, I think, for next time I have company.  My friends know that sometimes I just make something new and they are the testers.  This time I have already tested. My hubby probably would have eaten it if I had used tarragon.  He, and all his siblings, loved black licorice.  Yukky!

58February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love to invite people over to be my Guinea Pigs for a new recipe.....I do, however, always add that info when I invite them. One couple, in particular, LOVES the job. She doesn't like to cook and he has a wonderful palate and gives great feedback on a dish.

Sometimes I just drop a dish off at their house and ask for a critique ~ and they'll walk down and we'll discuss the dish. It's like a fun game!

We have a patio party coming up next month and the host stated there would be pierogi for everyone to taste. I thought it might be fun to take a Crock Pot full of Dill Pickle Soup to stay with the Polish theme. It's kind of interesting....but nothing more than a potato soup with the addition of pickles & pickle juice and garnished with fresh dill.....pretty tasty!

59February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Niagara Visitor

My late aunt used to make a sauerkraut soup which I loved.  I haven't tried to duplicate it yet. 

A friend in Germany makes what she calls a cheese soup.  I know it has ground beef, onions and cheese, but I haven't found the cheese they use there.  She calls it a "melting cheese"   I chat on a German cooking chatline, and havent found a recipe there that sounds like what she makes.............. Mayb a trip to Germany is the answer!

60February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had chicken salad sandwiches tonight. I made it, so anything that resembled a string, or a bone, or skin, was not included in my salad mix.
A couple orio's for me, and popcorn for Tina, for dessert.

Tomorrow, Tina wants home made pizza. She wants to make the sauce, and I was elected to make the dough. I will make it tonight, and let it proof in the fridge. That way, all I have to do tomorrow, is set it in room temperature to raise.

61February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight. Joe and Katie went to the beach. It was 84 today. On the way down they stopped at Del Taco and Katie got a taco and a burrito. She ate the taco and was saving the burrito for dessert. She had the burrito in a bag. While they were sitting there, a seagull came up and stole the burrito out of the bag and flew off with it. It was almost too heavy for the bird. What a funny site with a gull flying away with a burrito in its' mouth. So on the way home they stopped at Dell Taco and Katie got another burrito.

62February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:40 am

Niagara Visitor

I'm planning to be in southern CA in early March................. please keep the warm weather coming for me!

63February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper at my house last night. We went out after Dane's golf match with his Thursday group. We ended up with 6 for lunch and sat and chatted for an hour or so.

64February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm planning to be in southern CA in early March................. please keep the warm weather coming for me!

I hope it stays this way for you. It has been beautiful. No wonder real estate is so expensive. I think SoCal has some of the best weather in the US.

65February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got up this morning and decided to make a pot of marinara, planned to use some of the pasta I picked up at the International Market we went to in Atlanta....it said it was from Italy, but since I cannot read the package, I cannot be sure where it was produced. LOL

Anyway, I got a pound of ground chuck in the pan and browning, then added a chopped onion and a finely grated carrot. I dumped in a jar of store bought marinara sauce (for a base), squashed a can of San Marzano whole tomatoes (taking out the hard core at the top of each of the tomatoes).....then also added two pint containers of my homemade tomato juice I put up last summer. It's now simmering over low, where I'll leave it for an hour or so.

In the meantime, Lyn gave me a call and asked us to dinner tonight ~ so, after it cools, my pot of marinara will get packaged for another day. I mean, it would be rude to turn down a invitation!

So, my day will be filled with eating out.....this noon is our weekly Ladies Lunch and then an early supper to 'beat the rush'. I think I'll just get an appetizer for each meal.

66February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza sauce is cooked......My dough was made last night; and so it's pizza for supper.

67February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Niagara Visitor

Sis and I went out for lunch today.  I had awesome liver and onions, baked potato, she had butter chicken  and naan made in the restaurant.  Both really good.  We had been to that place once before and were disappointed.  They must have changed their menu, or we've changed our tastebuds.

68February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza on Pizza Day USA...... ( so they say, LOL )
YESTERDAYS SUPPER
February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Img_0811
February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Img_0813

69February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today.... was a pot of Pee Oops! Pea soup!

70February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I went to Oceanside and determined it was not a place we wanted to live. Joe fixed himself a hefty drink and has gone to bed at 7:15. I hope he doesn't get the whirlys. He didn't even tell me he was going to bed so he must be mad at me.

71February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:51 am

Niagara Visitor

I went to our local farmers' market yesterday for a late breakfast of one of my favs................. huevos rancheros with lots of beans and guacamole, so that was brunch........ then big salad and some oven baked sole for dinner.  One of the farmers sells lamb, so it's lamb chops tonight.  Another farmer also sold freshly grown sprouts, so I bought radish and pea shoots.  Yummy!

72February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice stay in the house and watch the rain day! ....
We are watching / listening Woodrow Wilson movie on TCM. Tina is mad because they colorized it. She and I hate when they do that.
Anyhoo..... it will be "Susans Meatballs" in the dark cream of mushroom soup and baked in the oven. Noodles with butter, and green beans.

73February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nice stay in the house and watch the rain day! ....
We are watching / listening Woodrow Wilson movie on TCM. Tina is mad because they colorized it. She and I hate when they do that.
Anyhoo..... it will be "Susans Meatballs" in the dark cream of mushroom soup and baked in the oven. Noodles with butter, and green beans.

Jimmy, I love colorized movies! I also like the original black & white. When a movie has been colorized, it is like watching a whole new movie. For example: My Man Godfrey. I love the movie because the characters are a hoot. It originally was in B&W. The colorized version allows you to really see all the intricasies of the Art Deco décor, the fashions. There is so much missed in B&W. Also, when a movie is colorized, it is also digitized and cleaned up so the picture is clearer. There are bad colorizations and good. It is very expensive to colorize a movie - around $250,000. One of our old faves is "The Thing". We have it in B&W and color. In the color version you can see that the monster is green. TCM colorized about 300 movies but stopped because purists pitched a fit. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you have not destroyed the original. It is like a remake but not bad remake that they seem to be doing so much today. I have quite a few of the colorized movies but not nearly enough.

74February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making a 'faux' lasagna for supper tonight. When we went to an International Market in Atlanta a couple weeks ago I picked up some Italian Pasta ~ what I'm using tonight looks like little lasagna sheets, only really just wavy edge pasta about 1/2" wide and wavy on one side. I just cooked the pasta and then layered it in a glass Pyrex bread pan, layered with the marinara I made the other day and grated mozzarella cheese. I've got it in the oven, covered in foil and on a foil lined 1/4 sheet pan because I know I overfilled it and it's going to bubble all over. I want it to bake for a little over an hour and then sit and firm up for 20 - 30 minutes before I try to slice it and serve.

I pulled a couple bakery rolls out of the freezer to have with it ~ if HE doesn't want on, it's OK. I'll just save it and toast it for my breakfast (warm yeast rolls....my favorite with a cup of coffee!)

75February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum