Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

151 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I bought some hardwood charcoal and a chimney starter can today.....First time to use the hardwood instead of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes.  That's what I always bought years ago.  For some reason when Dane picked up a bag of charcoal he got the 'Easy Light' kind ~ FULL of lighter fluid.....YUCK!

We used it ONCE but that was enough for me.  Even though I allowed it to get completely ash grey it still gave that slight taste of petroleum.  I didn't say anything but I wasn't happy with it.

Hopefully tonight's grilling will go better.....

I always said, "There ain't quite nuthin as tasty as a Kerosene flavored hot dog from the damp, half lit,charcoal pit!"

152 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I am so happy I haven't lost 'my touch' cooking over charcoal.  The marinated London Broil came off the grill perfectly cooked, with a really tasty 'crust' and pink inside.  I par-cooked some Yukon Gold potatoes in the microwave before letting them finish up over the coals.  Dane planted his Sugar Snap Peas too close together and wanted me to 'thin them out' a bit so I snipped them, washed them and steamed the stems & leaves with a few frozen sweet peas ~ roughage for the gut, to be sure, but really quite tasty.  Rounded out the meal with a big bowl of the Sweet Kale Salad kit from Sam's Club ~ a favorite for both of us.

That steak, and meal, looks superb. That's a winner Beth;
for sure! ..........

153 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't know what's for supper yet.
Maybe a couple burgers?

154 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am

Niagara Visitor

I went out for surprise fish and chips yesterday. Friend here in the building and I went to "the Opera" in the afternoon, then for an early supper.  Landmark Cinemas shows the live broadcast of a performance from the New York Met one Saturday a month.  Yesterday it was Puccini's La Boheme.  Gorgeous, gorgeous production. They used a real donkey, and a real horse to draw the wagon/carriage.  Aida is coming next year, I wonder, will they have real elephants or is that not PC any more???  I think now I really need to go and see a performance live in NY!

Anyone here an Opera fan?

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

155 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I went out for surprise fish and chips yesterday. Friend here in the building and I went to "the Opera" in the afternoon, then for an early supper.  Landmark Cinemas shows the live broadcast of a performance from the New York Met one Saturday a month.  Yesterday it was Puccini's La Boheme.  Gorgeous, gorgeous production. They used a real donkey, and a real horse to draw the wagon/carriage.  Aida is coming next year, I wonder, will they have real elephants or is that not PC any more???  I think now I really need to go and see a performance live in NY!

Not a fan, for anything in particular, but I will watch it on the TV.
I used to watch it with my Grandmother on the PBS channel.
She would sing along, and tell me what the singing words Italian / English translation were.

156 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays supper, will be at the Japanese Fujiyama Hibachi Grill.....
A $400.00 + meal for 8 of us. It's DD's 40th ...... Yes Fourty ! !

Then back here at home for cake & other sweets.

157 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

bethk

Admin
Tell Maria Happy Birthday from all of us!

(But, Geeze Louise, that makes YOU sound REALLY OLD......Hahahahahaha!)

Tonight's supper was a charcoal grilled chicken breast ~ YUM! Amazing how much better food tastes when cooked over charcoal. I will be happy to get another gas grill for the convenience, but I'm glad we'll have a choice of gas or charcoal now that we have the 'rigged' charcoal grill, too.

Made sauteed zucchini & onions and steamed asparagus to go along with the chicken.

158 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I went out for surprise fish and chips yesterday. Friend here in the building and I went to "the Opera" in the afternoon, then for an early supper.  Landmark Cinemas shows the live broadcast of a performance from the New York Met one Saturday a month.  Yesterday it was Puccini's La Boheme.  Gorgeous, gorgeous production. They used a real donkey, and a real horse to draw the wagon/carriage.  Aida is coming next year, I wonder, will they have real elephants or is that not PC any more???  I think now I really need to go and see a performance live in NY!

Not a fan, for anything in particular, but I will watch it on the TV.
I used to watch it with my Grandmother on the PBS channel.
She would sing along, and tell me what the singing words Italian / English translation were.

It depends on the music and the singers. I really can't stand listening to most female sopranos whether opera or rock/pop. I like male tenors. I really liked Mario Lanza. My mother played his records when I was growing up.

159 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm

bethk

Admin
I'm still trying to empty out the freezers and pantry of old items.  Today I spied a package of Johnsonville brats and, even though I just had the Irish Banger sausages, decided to thaw them and have them.  I had half a can of sauerkraut (transferred to a glass jar) from who-knows-when in the refrigerator so I decided to saute half a red onion (also in the drawer for a good while.....) and heat the sauerkraut to have with the brats.  I had half a cup of elbow macaroni in a package (WHY in the world I didn't use it when I cooked the rest, I'll never know) so I made a dish of macaroni salad, also using the last two hard cooked eggs that were about 6 days old.

In case you all never hear from me again, please contact the authorities and let them know I did away with both of us with out-dated foods......

160 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Niagara Visitor

Oh, trust me, I have eaten out of date foods many times and am here to tell the tale.  

I remember about 20 years ago when we had beef cattle.  Sold some steaks and roasts to my son and his wife.  A few months later he was at our place and I asked him if they still had steaks or needed some for barbecue season............ "We could use some, because we had to throw some out, they were freezer burned"  I said "Michael, just because  a steak has a bit of freezer burn on it, there's nothing wrong with it, trust me, you've eaten freezer burned meat at home."  Then I asked what he did with them, 'cause they had a big dog and surely they could have cooked them up for the dog............... "I don't want my dog to eat freezer burned meat" was my son's answer.  I reminded son that our dogs would go into the pasture and eat the "cow pancakes".................. needless to say, I did not give him any steaks.  I think this shows that my son has never been really poor, or really hungry.

PS................I had a big salad and some of the headcheese that I made a few days ago for dinner.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More information)

161 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, as long as the food isn't freezer burned, there should be no problem.Today, I had a container of Nissan Noodles in the styrofoam that Tina found in the closet. It was still good.
I was in my robe all day, and just rested and slept in the recliner. I have a cough from a cold and sore throat from 3 days ago..... just felt like dog Pxx
To add to the cold, I pulled the left sciatic nerve yesterday, and that was what knocked me down. Today, we watched the baby all day. Thank god he is good and listens.
What a blessing, and god bless him for being good.

Poor Tina is tired. She entertained him; fed him, and put him to sleep for his naps all day. Na Na takes good care of him; that's for sure.

162 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 am

bethk

Admin
Yes, Niagara, you're right about our children never really living through 'hard' times.

I think, when we were all "poor" and had to 'make-do' with foods we did a really good job of it and they never noticed because what we prepared was still good tasting. I can remember when I was young, Dad was a farmer, a dirt farmer, and was out in the fields all day long (this was before he got a job at the General Mills Factory to suppliment the income). By spring time most of the beef from the freezer had been eaten all winter long and Mom couldn't butcher any chickens without running low on eggs. So she bought whatever was cheap.

One year, in particular, we always referred to the 'summer-of-pork-neck-bones'. Pork neck bones were CHEAP, almost give-away, to be sure. We had neck bones roasted, boiled, grilled.....you come up with a process to cook and that's how the neck bones were prepared. But we kids just thought they tasted good so we never really complained. But Mom always remembered how hard it was that spring. Thank goodness for the garden ~ meat might have been spare but we always had lots of vegetables to fill in.

I hope our children and grandchildren never realize how hard times can get, but if they do I'm sure they'll ask for advice on how to get through and we can tell them what to fix.

163 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Bugster2

Freezer burn never stops me. I usually use a burnt piece of meat or chicken in something with a sauce which usually hides any issues. Sometimes the burn can be sliced off. What can't be salvaged, at least in my opinion, is bread. Once burned it gets tossed. I have tried steaming to put back moisture but it just really doesn't work. Frozen veggies that have seen better days can also be hidden in a sauce, like a chicken pot pie. They say not to freeze certain items for longer than 6 months. I don't pay any attention to that. I usually don't have any problem with emptying my frozen food within a year but once I cooked a frozen turkey that had been frozen for two years. It was fine.

164 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 pm

bethk

Admin
Speaking of freezer burn.....I had a bag of deveined Gulf shrimp in the freezer, not appropriate for a shrimp cocktail, to be sure, but certainly fine to be sprinkled with cajun seasoning and sauteed in butter to go on top of grits and a mushroom cream gravy.

165 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a pot of chicken soup Tina made. Then..... two bowls ( shallow )
of chili with beans. Chil o mix and doctored up with onions and cajun spices.
..../ Good on a sick do nothing sick day for Jimmy. Sore throat is thankfully gone, but cough and chest congestion is at a 4 on a scale of 1 --- to 10 / 10 being the worst!...Oh but....let's not forget the left sciatic. A # 2 until I have to cough; which spikes it to a #
7 if I am in a wrong position of sitting / etc.

166 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking today, just salad making............. mixed greens, onion, red pepper, avocado, tomato, and some lovely large shrimp on top.  No cooking the next two days either............ invite to a friend's tomorrow (in the building) and going to a fund raiser murder mystery dinner on Friday.

167 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:14 pm

bethk

Admin
No supper tonight.....shopping day in Ocala with Lyn. We had a late lunch (completely forgetable....not a return place for sure). But most of our day was way more fun than we anticipated. We both just wanted a 'get-out-of-Dodge' day ~ out of the house and away from the neighborhood for a day.

168 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Lousy day. No appetites for Tina or Me.... Stay in bed day.
DIL is sick now, and so is DD. Tina has a slight fever. 100F and DD has one 101F.
I'm at the end of sick; whatever I had. Throat is ok. Just tired, and hanging in there.
LOL

I may just heat up some chicken soup that T made yesterday. I'll have some with saltine lil salt crackers.

169 Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Just a note!
I started the MARCH 2018 dinner and breakfast threads!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum