Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shaker Lemon Pie

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Shaker Lemon Pie Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've always been intrigued by a recipe I first saw years ago for a Shaker Lemon Pie.  It seems the Shakers were a frugal group who didn't like to waste anything, especially any part of rare and hard to get lemons.  So, they developed a sweet/tart pie that used the whole fruit.

Since I had Meyer Lemons to use I decided it was 'now or never' to satisfy my curiosity about this pie.  The recipe is simple enough.....4 - 12 lemons (I guess it depends upon the size......I used eight), 2 1/4 c. Granulated Sugar and 6 eggs ~ I did add a pinch of salt to my lemons & sugar just because I've always added a bit of salt to anything I make or bake.  It was difficult to slice the lemons 'paper thin' as called for in the recipe but I ended up using the sharpest knife in the house ~ Dane's fish fileting knife.  My chef's knife, although sharp enough for most things I do, just wasn't as easy to use as the razor sharp fish knife.

I sliced all the lemons, being as careful as I could to not loose any of the juice, removed any seeds and then added the sugar.  They will sit overnight at room temperature to macerate and, hopefully, pull the bitterness out of the lemon rinds.  I'm hopeful the thin skinned Meyer Lemons won't have as much bitterness as regular lemons have as the pith is just a narrow bit. Tomorrow I'll add the eggs and then bake and see what happens.

Stay tuned!

Slicing lemons:

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_27_10

Adding the sugar to the sliced lemons and mixing well:

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_27_11

Lemons are such a pretty fruit!

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_27_12

2Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

After reading a couple more recipes on the amount of sliced lemons to use, I decided to beat up 8 eggs and realized I would have more than enough filling for two one-crust pies. It sure smells good!

Here are the two pies ready to go into a 375° oven for 30 minutes.....at which time I'll reduce the temperature to 325° and let them bake for another 25 - 30 minutes, or when done.

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_28_10

3Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, out of the oven. Every time I make a pie I remember how much I enjoy it. When I was 13 I was 'assigned' the task of becoming the family 'pie maker'.....mainly because my mother hated the job and couldn't make a pie crust to save her soul. No matter how she tried, it always was a huge fail for her.

But for some reason, pie baking came easy for me. And with 3 brothers, even if I did have a minor 'fail', the evidence was gone in minutes! LOL

The hardest part of this test is about to start ~ I have to wait for the pies to completely cool before I can cut one and give it a taste. But if smell is any indication, the wait will be worth it!

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_28_11

4Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, the pies have cooled to room temperature on the counter top and then into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes....time to cut and taste test!

Shaker Lemon Pie 01_28_12

Now.....my reaction:

As you can see, the pie held together when cut, but it was really difficult to cut, even with a sharp knife. Somehow, I expected the lemon rind to soften and loose the pith-y bitterness, as it does when it simmers away for, say, a marmalade. But even with the maceration overnight in the sugar at room temperature and baking in the oven for an hour, the lemon rinds didn't break down in the least.

The lemon taste is pronounced and quite nice, but you're left with that bitterness in your mouth after you've finished your pie.

I wouldn't consider this a 'fail' ....... just a "won't-make-this-one-again" experiment.

And, NO, in case you're wondering.....this is a pie that won't be going to the neighbors to try!

5Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'll bet the lemon slices/peels would've been a bit softer if you'd used a mandolin to slice those lemon slices, no?

Or even though it's not called for, maybe simmering those lemons on low after they've macerated in the sugar might tenderize those peels a bit. You'd have to watch them, as the sugar would begin to caramelize if you didn't watch.

Wish I was your neighbor, as we wouldn't mind a couple of pieces of those pies!

Thanks for the newsletter, Missy!

6Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Forgot to tell you how pretty they were, Beth. And your fluted pie crust looks like Martha Stewart's! Smile

7Shaker Lemon Pie Empty Re: Shaker Lemon Pie Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

not bad for Pillsbury refrigerated crusts, huh?

(ever since they made Crisco 'healthy', I can't make a crust to save my soul!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum