Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2018, Whats for Dinner??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

226 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, isn't THAT the truth!  Chicken wings, pork necks, skirt steak (when not ground for hamburger) were practically 'throw away' meats at the grocery store.  And REAL knuckle bones, cut through by the butcher, to be used for beef vegetable soup, along with beef shanks & ox tails were CHEAP.

My Grandma use to make a lot of fried chicken.  By the time she got to sit down at the table, all that was left on the platter were the wings ~ so that's what SHE ate.  And since Grandma ate them, when I got older, the wings were MY chicken choice.  Our girls know not to try to take the wings from a roast or fried chicken when Mom is at the table!  LOL

I remember Mom would say,"Get your wagon, and go up to the chicken man's, and he will give you the chicken!" Backs and Necks...Brown paper bags full of them...and F R E E !...
She boiled them for hours, in tomato sauce,and we would eat and suck out the meat, while using nut picks to get the slivers loose so we can suck them from the bones. OMG, and there was brother....yacking with a bone stuck in his throat. Dad whacking his back as mom was screaming..."Pick up your hands!" ....Poor brother, with tears dripping in his plate, whilst he whimpered and cried, saying"I can't eat these mom!"
Moms answer was,"Then Go Hungry!"..... It was never a happy scene.

227 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

bethk

Admin
Those chicken wings look good, Jimmy.

How is it Ms. Tina is aging in reverse???

She looks younger than ever!

228 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 am

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:I was going to go to my local 99 Ranch market to check the prices on beef shank. I have had second thoughts.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/nationalnews/8c4ac20a-03a6-11e8-9026-17de9871529c/

Bugster.....I WOULD go there to check prices. In the article they say the 'cart idiots' were employees from a supplier and they had been fired for being stupid.

First of all, no supplier in their right mind delivers product like that. Second, what's shown in the pic was obviously so wrong that it had to be recorded ~ even 'regular' people realize that is not how product gets delivered in the US.

229 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Those chicken wings look good, Jimmy.

How is it Ms. Tina is aging in reverse???

She looks younger than ever!

Thanks Beth! .... Yeah, as far as the looking young, it runs in her family.
Plus, her system ( stomach problems ) has eased up, and she shows less stress. God bless her!

230 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm

bethk

Admin
I was bummed by my failed experiment with the Shaker Lemon Pie but I needed to use the vegetables I bought at the Farmers' Market on Saturday. Lyn & I are going to go to Atlanta to visit with her sister for a few days so tonight was my last chance to use the vegetables without letting them go to waste.

So, beef stir fry it was!

231 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 am

Bugster2

Steaks last night with a packaged chopped salad and a baked potato. I defrosted a loaf of white bread dough, rolled it out and filled it with chopped marinated artichoke hearts, marinade, garlic, parmesan, basil and oregano. Rolled it up, sprinkled with more parmesan and baked. Not bad.
Tonight is going to be a wrap sandwich because we are going to have a heat wave. High winds and over 90 degrees. Bad fire danger for us.
I am starting to slowly declutter and scrubbing down the house so we can list it for sale. I hope we can get it sold by May. Our house insurance is going to be cancelled because we need a new roof. Probably some flipper will buy it, remodel and add a room or two and put it back on the market for 1.2 million dollars. That is what has been happening in our hood. We have a one story and they are in high demand. Wish us luck. I am fully expecting low-ballers to make offers and I am going to tell them to take a hike. I only want what it is worth in its' condition and I will keep it before I fire-sale it.

232 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Steaks last night with a packaged chopped salad and a baked potato. I defrosted a loaf of white bread dough, rolled it out and filled it with chopped marinated artichoke hearts, marinade, garlic, parmesan, basil and oregano. Rolled it up, sprinkled with more parmesan and baked. Not bad.
Tonight is going to be a wrap sandwich because we are going to have a heat wave. High winds and over 90 degrees. Bad fire danger for us.
I am starting to slowly declutter and scrubbing down the house so we can list it for sale. I hope we can get it sold by May. Our house insurance is going to be cancelled because we need a new roof. Probably some flipper will buy it, remodel and add a room or two and put it back on the market for 1.2 million dollars. That is what has been happening in our hood. We have a one story and they are in high demand. Wish us luck. I am fully expecting low-ballers to make offers and I am going to tell them to take a hike. I only want what it is worth in its' condition and I will keep it before I fire-sale it.

Lots of luck with the house sale. Do you have an idea where you will be relocating to? .....

233 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:22 pm

NormM

You'd probably be bored to death in Kansas City, but you could buy a mansion for what you will probably get for your house in California.  My house is worth 180,000 and that is after it has gone up 35,000 in the last 6 years.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

234 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have become addicted to home reno shows on tv. I am amazed at the low prices that seem to be in housing in Texas.

Now, regarding food, I went to Costco yesterday and stocked up on my seafood.............. salmon, scallops, shrimp and wild Alaskan sole. Sole will be my dinner tonight along with probably some broccoli and cauliflower. I have to get back on that wagon where I eat less. 8 of those 30 pounds I lost last winter have crept back on and I don't like it. I didn't keep my fat clothes.

235 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Bugster2

NormM wrote:You'd probably be bored to death in Kansas City, but you could buy a mansion for what you will probably get for your house in California.  My house is worth 180,000 and that is after it has gone up 35,000 in the last 6 years.

I could get a mansion in many places outside of California. We need a bigger house. Our house is fine for two people but with Katie and her crap, I can't take it anymore. I need my own space. We can't afford bigger around here so we are looking down in Oceanside and Temecula which is southern California's Napa Valley. Big wine business there. Joe wants to be as close to the beach as possible. Temecula is HOT but we may have no choice. We could move up north but it would be a small town and I don't want to be far away from a major medical center. We could stay here, get a new roof and do some improvements but I still won't have any space to call my own. I really don't want to have to die on a couch.LOL.

236 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina  was wishing for fettuccine alfredo; so she made a batch.
I couldn't stop eating it. It tasted... "Just Like Candy!"
I said to Tina, as she and I were rolling up the fettuccini with our forks,"Doesn't this make us feel guilty eating all these carbs and fats?" ..... That was it. She shoved her plate aside,
and couldn't finish it!          .... I had another fork full .... I'm a (fight fire with fire) kind a guy!... LOL

237 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 am

Bugster2

I made wrap sandwiches tonight: flour tortilla, honey mustard dressing, grated carrots, sprouts, watercress, jack cheese, chicken, avocado and cucumber. It was good. Very grassy tasting.

238 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 am

bethk

Admin
Lyn and I hit the road yesterday morning and stopped for brunch after a few hours. I had a huge meal of Eggs Benedict with bacon, avocado and tomato... came with has browns. Needless to say, we were full all day. For supper we ended up having a salad and snacks at the concierge room in the hotel. I think today we're going to a huge Farmers' Market with her sister, Sandi. It should be a fun time, although here on Atlanta it's jeans and jackets weather.

239 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm

NormM

Someone on facebook asked what did your mom make that you hated and never had again. I don't think I hated these but they were my least favorite.  I got to wondering if my tastes had changed since the fifties or if making them with fish that didn't come out of a can would make a difference.  Charlie liked them and thought they'd be good on a bun with the sauce and some lettuce. He said they reminded him of crab cakes but better.  I had two and won't make them again unless he asks. We had them with a salad and potato pancakes made from a box mix.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

240 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Niagara Visitor

I grew up with my mother cooking polenta................ didn't like it as a kid, I still don't like it. My family history, although German, is from Romania.  Polenta was a staple there.  I love fresh corn, don't like polenta or nachos or corn tortillas. Give me great, fresh corn on the cob.................... or even out of a can. Yummy!

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

241 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 am

Bugster2

Yesterday, where I live - Lake Forest, CA - was the hottest spot in the nation. We hit 93 degrees. Hot again tomorrow. Joe and Katie are going to the beach to whale watch and then to the Royal Hawaiian for drinks and dinner. So I won't cook.

242 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

We had dribs and drabs for supper. T mommy has a sore throat.

We shared a bologna sandwich on white toast. Cookies, and cheese and crackers.

That was it.... I think tomorrow I will make chili, or if not, then meatloaf.
It's cold as a son of a gun. 17 degrees now! Windy as heck too.

243 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:00 am

Niagara Visitor

Thought I was going to eat the tiny meatloaf that I made a couple of days ago, then change of plans................ The Niagara Parks have a winter festival of lights all around the Falls for December and January, and today was the last night to be able to see it. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of lights strung on trees, bushes, in animal shapes, some in moving scenes, all very pretty. So, I called my sister and we went.................. of course, we were hungry, so we went out for an early dinner first.

Went to a really nice Mediterranian restaurant to which I had 2 $50. gift cards, and even that didn't cover the cost for 3 of us. I had a great "MOroccan" lamb shank stew, but it wasn't anything like the lamb I had in Morocco last year.

so many chefs, in trying to make a fancy presentation, make a tower of food on the plate. My dish came in a bowl, mashed potatoes at the bottom, then carrots and broccoli, then this great big bone with meat on top........................ My sister's beef rib came the same way. Now, when you stick your fork into that hunk of meat and try to cut something off, what happens to the mashed and the veggies????? They get squished all over the place, right? Server was very accommodating, took our bowls back and replated them on a plate, not as a tower.

She said, well the chef wants it to be like a Moroccan stew................. I told her, I was in Morocco last year, and a lamb stew or Tagine, is lamb cut into bite sized cubes, served with chunks of carrots and sweet potatoes, couscous or rice served either on the side or at the bottom. Everything small enough so that you can pick it up with a chunk of bread. The taste was very similar and good, though.

244 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a platter of like 13 nice breaded cubed steaks. They were very tender, and with flour / egg / and bread crumbs seasoned ( Italian Style ), they really were delicious.
No gravy as with chicken fried steak, but a nice salad, it really was delicious.

When I was little, my mom would serve the steaks as a side with spaghetti!
For dessert, I had (2) Plain Crullers from Dunkin Doughnuts.

It's time for a snack now! LOL .... I am thinking of sneaking a piece of that leftover steak from the fridge to nibble on.

245 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

Meatloaf that I was going to have is still in my fridge................ Son texted me about 11 this morning.................... Mom, we're getting rid of a bunch of books and other "stuff" can you use the books in the library in your building, and what can the Christian benefit shop use??? Do you want to come look at it, and maybe we could go out for lunch......................... so, of course I went, ordered a taco salad which was so big, that's what I had for dinner also..................... tomorrow it has to be that meatloaf or it's trash.

I am sooooo lucky that my children want to go out for lunch with me, right?

246 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:57 am

bethk

Admin
Lore, you are very fortunate, as am I, that we get contacted to do things with our children or just to say, "Hi! What's going on?"

Many of my friends only hear from children when there is a need for cash or some 'crisis' that disrupts lives at a moment's notice.

So, enjoy every moment and drop whatever.....as you do!....because those moments don't return. You are blessed.

(gives a different meaning to 'what goes around, comes around' ~ you did for your children when they were young and now they accept as 'normal' that it's important to include Mom in their lives. Good for you!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum