Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2018, Whats for Dinner??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

201 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:Dinner tonight was game hens with baby bok choy that I did't cook yesterday.

What are game hens?????? I have some quail in my oven for tonight. They are tiny, but all dark meat which I love. I made them a couple of times years ago. One time we flattened them and grilled them Maybe that's what I should have done today.................. doing them in my grill pan might have been good. However, three of the little birds are in the oven and I will cook some broccoli and cauliflower to go with the birds.

202 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 pm

bethk

Admin
Lore, here we have what is commonly sold in the freezer section and packaged 2 per, a small bird, usually intended to be served one per person. Even though they are small, it's still too much for me, but I don't eat more than the two wings when I make a whole regular chicken so you can't use ME as a true example.

I copied a definition I found:

"In the United States, a Cornish game hen, also sometimes called a Cornish hen, poussin, Rock Cornish hen, or simply Rock Cornish, is a hybrid chicken sold whole. Despite the name, it is not a game bird. Rather, it is a broiler chicken, the most common strain of commercially raised meat chickens."

Back in the 1970's it was the ultimate 'company meal' fare ~ often stuffed with wild rice. Personally, I like Norm's recipe a lot more!

203 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 pm

bethk

Admin
NormM wrote:Sounds good Beth.  The chicken stock I used was homemade and I don't add salt to it until I use it, just in case I need to boil it down for some reason.  I don't usually make stock but just happened to have some in the freezer.

I did like the flavor of the 'grits', which was much better than the flavorless bowl of grits they serve all over the South with every breakfast. I think what they serve is nothing more than corn meal grits made with water ~ completely flavorless to me. I can eat them with my 'over easy' eggs IF there is butter and s&p to add. I like when the runny yolk mixes with it.

204 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 pm

NormM

A game hen small chicken about 5 weeks old and weighs about a pound and a half or more often a little less. I usually serve a half chicken per person.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

205 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We had.... "Happy Thanksgiving" tonight.
The Son and DIL came over;along with GD.
I roasted a 7 Lb breast, and the stuffing and veggies.
Tina made the mashed potatoes and gravy.
We popped crescent rolls in the oven too!

We had no dessert..... everyone was full.

206 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

bethk

Admin
Ahh, Jimmy ~ I hate to be the one to tell you, but Thanksgiving was MONTHS AGO.

Yer slippin', my friend.

LOL

207 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ahh, Jimmy ~ I hate to be the one to tell you, but Thanksgiving was MONTHS AGO.

Yer slippin', my friend.

LOL
I know, but anytime we have turkey, I say, "Thanksgiving... again?"...........

208 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Niagara Visitor

Thanks for the clarification of "game hen" We call them a Cornish hen, sometimes a cornish game hen. I actually have one in my freezer right now. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. For today, I am looking for something fishy in that freezer. I think I have a half package of small seafood "creatures" that will be great in a stirfry.

209 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Bugster2

I went to a few stores today looking for meaty beef shanks. They were $5/lb. Unless I get to the Asian market and see what their prices are like, looks like I will have to make do with canned beef stock.

210 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm

bethk

Admin
HE wanted burgers tonight. Remember the 'dead' grill? Well, it's been YEARS since I've had to broil meat in the oven ~ and I don't think I remembered how hot / fast it cooks.

So, tonight's supper was Hockey Pucks, Roasted Cauliflower & Mixed Vegetables.

((sigh))

211 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:38 pm

NormM

We had chicken curry tonight.

212 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:43 pm

bethk

Admin
Your chicken looks really moist and tender from my view!

213 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We are going to slap a pizza together. Blue tube dough, and home made pizza sauce.
I got two cold beers chillin ...... Ummmm!

214 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm

NormM

The sauce was from a jar and it said to simmer the small chicken chunks 15 minutes after browning. I was afraid that would be too long but they were OK.

215 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

What an experience with the pizza making.
The Pillsbury Blue tube pizza dough, blew up on the counter as soon as I tore the foil off 1/3 of the tube. POW#.... and a big puff of gas, and a roll of dough that was creepy,
and felt like play dough. I managed to roll it into a rectangle, somehow, and Tina garnished it..... Nice; the tube had a date of OCT. 2017. A little out dated I would say.
Disappointed .....!!!

216 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:14 am

Bugster2

No wonder it blew up.

217 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:13 am

bethk

Admin
Jimmy, you need to email the company. At the very least I bet they send you coupons for free stuff.

OR you could contact an attorney and sue them for $80M.........

((Personally, I'd take my chances with free coupons.....))

218 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, you need to email the company.  At the very least I bet they send you coupons for free stuff.

OR you could contact an attorney and sue them for $80M.........

((Personally, I'd take my chances with free coupons.....))

Yeah!.... I should've taken a photo!

219 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Niagara Visitor

I woke up this morning thinking................. I want some chili!. Oh lordy, how much is food on my brain? No wonder I found 8 of those 30 pounds I lost again!

So, I made chili today using some chicken breast and a meatloaf for tomorrow using the ground beef I had. Chili is an a fairly big pot ( there's no way to make a little bit of chili, is there???) The ground beef meatloaf is in two pans. Big one to take to my son and DIL tomorrow, small one for me. I HATE COOKING FOR ONE! and yes, capitals on purpose. I am yelling.

220 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:51 pm

bethk

Admin
I know what you mean, Lore. Cooking for just two and not have a bunch of leftovers is a challenge, too. My biggest problem now is my freezer is full, both the refrigerator in the house and the one in the garage, so I have to use what's in there and not attempt to freeze any more. I miss my full size freezer SO much.

I went to the grocery store today and saw some chicken wings on sale ~ suddenly that was all I could think of to have for supper. Then, on the way home, I remembered, CRAP! NO GRILL.....

But, I ended up baking them on a rack in a 425° oven for about an hour and the fat rendered off and they got a bit crispy.

I always make the 'drummies' for HIM and I get the 'flappers' and wing tips. HIS got Buffalo Wing Sauce and mine got rolled around in some of the Korean BBQ and Sweet Chili Sauce and then back into the oven to glaze a bit.

Along with the wings we split a big sweet potato and I made some peas:

221 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have said many times, and my children are tired of hearing it, but my mother made chicken wings in the oven before that Anchor bar in Buffalo new that chickens had wings. She bought wings because they were cheap, and we grew up with chicken wings dredged in flour and then spiced.

222 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:08 pm

bethk

Admin
Boy, isn't THAT the truth! Chicken wings, pork necks, skirt steak (when not ground for hamburger) were practically 'throw away' meats at the grocery store. And REAL knuckle bones, cut through by the butcher, to be used for beef vegetable soup, along with beef shanks & ox tails were CHEAP.

My Grandma use to make a lot of fried chicken. By the time she got to sit down at the table, all that was left on the platter were the wings ~ so that's what SHE ate. And since Grandma ate them, when I got older, the wings were MY chicken choice. Our girls know not to try to take the wings from a roast or fried chicken when Mom is at the table! LOL

223 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 am

Bugster2

I was going to go to my local 99 Ranch market to check the prices on beef shank. I have had second thoughts.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/nationalnews/8c4ac20a-03a6-11e8-9026-17de9871529c/

224 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was going to go to my local 99 Ranch market to check the prices on beef shank. I have had second thoughts.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/nationalnews/8c4ac20a-03a6-11e8-9026-17de9871529c/

Looks like food for the lions and tigers at the zoo.

225 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Lookie Here!
Tina mommy is so happy to eat a wing and some cauliflower. Mac and cheese too.
The wings were roasted on top a bed of onions, and covered with onions. Slow and Low.
The onions caramelized so sweet. OMG the wings were crispy and crunchy.
OOops.... pics below!

Tinas Plate queen

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum