Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2018, Whats for Dinner??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

126 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Made spaghetti this morning. I have to go to the doctor to get a skin cancer removed so I don't know if my arm is going to be too sore to cook, so that is why I jump-started the meal.

Good luck with your surgery Debbie. We'll have you in our thoughts!

127 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm

bethk

Admin
Had a repeat of the short ribs supper with the other two leftover beef short ribs. Surprisingly, it warmed up and tasted just like the fresh cooked. Must have had something to do with letting it cool while covered with the gravy and then slowly reheating on 'defrost' setting on the microwave and finished in the oven until it was bubbly.

The mashed potatoes with cream cheese & sour cream always reheat as 'fresh'.....

128 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Had a repeat of the short ribs supper with the other two leftover beef short ribs.  Surprisingly, it warmed up and tasted just like the fresh cooked.  Must have had something to do with letting it cool while covered with the gravy and then slowly reheating on 'defrost' setting on the microwave and finished in the oven until it was bubbly.  

The mashed potatoes with cream cheese & sour cream always reheat as 'fresh'.....

The ribs are beautiful Beth. That was a great find. I don't dare show this pic to Tina, because she just loves beef ribs.

129 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper for me, was a huge burger from a diner in South Jersey.
Tina brought it home for me. It was horrible.
They must just slice coarse ground burger from the tube. Course, and funny feel in the mouth. I picked on it, and shoved it away.
Dessert was almost a 1/2 tin container of those butter cookies made in Germany.
She picked up like 5 tins at 60 cents a can at the Christmas Tree Shop down there.
They are so good. I couldn't stop eating them.

130 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Made spaghetti this morning. I have to go to the doctor to get a skin cancer removed so I don't know if my arm is going to be too sore to cook, so that is why I jump-started the meal.

The trip to the doctor's was a bust. They had me set up with a PA. There is no way in hell I am going to let one cut on me. I re-scheduled today with an MD.

131 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

The trip to the doctor's was a bust. They had me set up with a PA. There is no way in hell I am going to let one cut on me. I re-scheduled today with an MD.

What's a PA?????

132 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

What's a PA?????

Today is a bust too. I feel nauseated and had to reschedule for next week. I can't go to the doctor when I feel like I am going to be sick.

A PA is a Physician's Assistant. They can do many things that a doctor can do. They can diagnose and prescribe drugs. But I will be damned if I am going to have one remove that cancer. I want someone with experience and can tell if the growth has crabbed out. They are going to be cutting out a chunk of skin three inches long and sewing me up. I also have an area on my face that needs freezing and several other spots and bumps to be looked at.

133 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:My computer is giving me fits.....it lost my shortcut Food Pics file.  I've got to wait for Lyn to be available to come over and help me figure out where it went......

Crap......

Mine had problems the other day, too. Says error occurred when computer wasn't closed "right." I tried everything offered to fix it and could not get past the error codes. So I reloaded Windows, which knocked out all programs added since I had this computer, including Word, which I purchased online from Microsoft.  Supposedly, all of my files were kept. I didn't want to "rent" Word so I decided to buy a hard copy of it. The good thing is you can ask them to download a fresh copy whenever you want and they don't balk. And since it totally disappeared, I had to load it again. I hated having to go back and add all of the functions I had on the toolbar but I think I've got that just about done now, too.

I know I've lost some stuff and have to break down and just buy another laptop. I didn't realize they weren't destined to last longer than 2 or 3 years but I cannot wait to get another one. I just hate to spend the money right now.  

Took me hours to get everything right again. Just glad my recipes were still there!

134 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:When I went grocery shopping yesterday I picked up a bag of Cara Cara oranges at Aldi.  (Love, LOVE that store!)  They were $2.49 for a bag of 7 oranges.....WAY LOWER in price than Winn Dixie or (MUCH higher priced) Publix.  They also had a big bag of Naval Oranges for $0.99.  I'm thinking I should go back and get a bag of those since Publix wants $1 EACH for Naval Oranges.  

I remember a former member, Musicgirl, was the first person to cue me into the wonderful-ness of Cara Cara oranges.  I had never heard of them before her mention of them.  And they really are a tasty, sweet orange.  

So far I've only eaten them as a breakfast treat but I'm thinking they would be great to use as an ingredient in a beet salad or as an accompaniment for a pork meal.....I'm thinking I should get some more at that low price.  We'll see.

We like the Cara Caras, too, Beth. And yes, oranges are similarly priced here, with most stores wanting too much -- you have to pick 'em up when they're on sale or just moan and pay the price when you need 'em or want 'em.

We've been blessed lately as we got a ton of satsumas from my BIL Ed's tree, and then my cleaning lady brought us a bunch of them from one of her client's trees -- they were even better as they were a lot bigger than the ones Ed brought us. So easy to peel. I eat a couple of them a night as I usually have one or two on my bedside table!

135 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The beef short ribs were 'restaurant-meal-quality'.....actually, BETTER than anything I've been served in a restaurant.  I wish we didn't have colds because this would have been a fabulous meal to share with friends.  The flavor was out of this world good - served over creamy mashed potatoes.  

IF we had invited friends I think I would have made peas & carrots (for the color!) and I would have heated some bakery rolls to go with it all.  As it is, I have two of the leftover short ribs sitting in a container of luxurious gravy and a 16 oz. container of mashed potatoes - enough for another whole meal.  The beef was so rich and yummy that one was more than enough to fill us up.  I also would have served on plates in the kitchen and sprinkled the plates with some freshly chopped parsley.

We love braised short ribs, and yours looked delicious, Beth. Neither Brian nor I would be able to only eat one unless they were huge! If I was the guest, I would've loved the peas instead of the peas and carrots, BTW...

Like Lore, we've been trying to use up the tons of stuff we have in the freezer. Cheated the other day and had Brian pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store, and he got a couple of ham shanks, too, so I made a big pot of red beans last night. It's so nice now to not have to make a whole ham since the grocery sells the ham shanks -- they've got a decent amount of ham on them, too.

136 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Crybaby

Okay, not food related but I can't help myself. Food stuff follows, though!

We're going to see the Moody Blues tonight, one of my all time favorite groups. Have seen them twice before but told Brian if they came again, we'd have to get our old bodies in gear and go. Bought the tickets the day they went on sale back in October. It's at the Saengar Theatre, which is a nice venue and not huge. Floor tickets about midway to the stage but they're reserved seats of course, not an open mosh pit!!

We'd planned to drive to the Quarter to have dinner, park and then cab it to the theatre, only about 12 blocks away at most but no really close parking for two of us who can't walk very far. But Brian's pinched nerve that gives him pain in his hip, thigh, knee and leg is so bad lately that I nixed dinner plans. Will eat early dinner at home, hop in a cab to the theatre and then cab it back. That way I minimized the walking we'd be doing.

It's cold again and getting colder tonight -- "wintry mx" is what they're calling for between 7 and midnight (we leave in a cab at 7), which means rain and possible sleet, but the roads will be a mess if it freezes early. I'll be thrilled not to drive in that and let the cab take over. it's a hard freeze tonight so we have to "dribble" the faucets, which will be the third time this season. Will warm up to the mid 70s by the weekend, though.

Lots of fun making warming food with the cold weather, though. I'm dying for a chuck roast but am trying to stick to my eat the freezer campaign. The other day I was pulling something out the freezer and found leftover stuffing crumb mix I'd made to stuff fresh artichokes; had almost a cup of the dry stuffing mix left over so I froze it. It contained the usual suspects, garlic and minced shallots cooked in butter and then added, with Romano or Parmesan, to some of those dried Italian breadcrumbs and amped up with oregano and Italian Seasoning. It was just the right amount of crumbs for my use, too. I thickly sliced two huge tomatoes that were on the island, made layers of tomatoes in an au gratin dish and after seasoning each tomato layer with salt, pepper and garlic powder, I used the crumb mixture on top. Made two layers and stuck it into the oven with a couple of large frozen meat pies I'd picked up from Gourmet Butcher Block about six months ago. They were good and spicy and had some pepperjack cheese in the delicious filling. The pastry dough on the meat pies could've been a bit more tender but it was really only the pinched edges that were tough so we just left them on the plate. Easy dinner and not the same old thing.

137 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 pm

bethk

Admin
Lucky you! Moody Blues! Boy, that's a blast from the past.

Hard to figure they're still touring.....

(yeah, that was a reference to 'old timers'......)

138 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Lucky you!  Moody Blues!  Boy, that's a blast from the past.

I hear that! But look at the Stones! It made a difference, for us, that they'll be at the theatre instead of the Arena, which is too big and too much walking. Last time we saw them (about 20 years ago), they not only had that melatron with them (makes the sounds of lots of orchestra pieces) but they had a full orchestra on stage for a few of their songs. It was wonderful and better than the first time I saw them.

I have a feeling this will be our last concert, too!

139 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:19 pm

bethk

Admin
I had a chicken breast to decide 'what-to-do' for supper and ended up doing chicken chunks w/onion finished with my new favorite Korean BBQ sauce.....spooned it all over some white rice. Then sauteed some zucchini & yellow squash with a bit of onion, simply seasoned with s&p.

When you're on day 12 of a crummy cold you tend to not really care what you fix or eat.

140 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

DD brought over meat balls. Had that with Italian bread.
Awesome..... Tomorrow we are forecast to get a couple inches of snow; so that is the time to finish the soup T made the other day.
There is another big pot of pigs feet cooking on the stove! The house smells divine. Not for me though!!
Poor Tina had ton run to her uncles this morning. His microwave took a dump.
She got him a new one, and now he is happy.
Yesterday and today must be fall down and break your crown days.
Last eve, T stepped on the cats tail, and she fell on her hip and back.
This morning, her uncle fell trying to open the drapes in the living room.

I keep saying...look down....look down. Nope! .... No one listens...

141 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:Lucky you!  Moody Blues!  Boy, that's a blast from the past.

I hear that!  But look at the Stones!  It made a difference, for us, that they'll be at the theatre instead of the Arena, which is too big and too much walking.  Last time we saw them (about 20 years ago), they not only had that melatron with them (makes the sounds of lots of orchestra pieces) but they had a full orchestra on stage for a few of their songs. It was wonderful and better than the first time I saw them.  

I have a feeling this will be our last concert, too!

I saw them a couple of times in high school. They were one of my faves. We were all in love with Justin Hayward and hated him when he had the nerve to go off and marry a local girl from UCLA. LOL. Just recently a concert of theirs was aired on PBS. It was from their 50 anniversary tour back in June in Toronto. I only caught the tail end of the show but he can still sing. Didn't one of the members just pass? We want to see them if they come to LA again. We missed them this time because we didn't know about it.

142 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

What's for supper tonight?? .... Hamburger soup... ??? Tina has the recipe.
Had it once in the service at a "Low on Coin" supper on base with friends.
Low on coin, is an expression and period when just before payday there was no money to buy food. i.e. steaks / fish / chicken etc.
So this so called soup / stew, was a filler upper, and cheap enough to make.

143 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had a great lunch with an old friend here in my condo today. We've been saying "let's get together for lunch" for a long time and last night I decided today's the day, and I cooked.

I made catfish fillets in the oven, roasted potatoes and basic "naked" carrots and cauliflower. It was fun, she loved my place, asked me to help her get some colour into her place.................. And it was a whole lot less expensive than going out. Been doing way too much of that lately.

144 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm

bethk

Admin
I thawed out the loaf pan of stuffed shells I made & some chicken w/mozzarella & spinach sausages. It was a wonderful oven meal ~ I even remembered to get out some of my homemade foccacia bread. I've got enough for a large lunch portion leftover.....I just can't seem to make enough for just the two of us.

145 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Niagara Visitor

A PA is a Physician's Assistant. They can do many things that a doctor can do. They can diagnose and prescribe drugs. But I will be damned if I am going to have one remove that cancer. I want someone with experience and can tell if the growth has crabbed out. They are going to be cutting out a chunk of skin three inches long and sewing me up. I also have an area on my face that needs freezing and several other spots and bumps to be looked at.[/quote]

What kind of education does a PA have? I don't think I'd want one cutting me up either. Sounds to me like you need a plastic surgeon not anyone's assistant!

146 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight.... Roy Rogers roast beef sandwiches.
Nice eye round on the George Foreman rotisserie and Maiers Italian Kaiser Rolls.

A can of Au Ju ...... for drizzling and dipping.

147 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:

A PA is a Physician's Assistant. They can do many things that a doctor can do. They can diagnose and prescribe drugs. But I will be damned if I am going to have one remove that cancer. I want someone with experience and can tell if the growth has crabbed out. They are going to be cutting out a chunk of skin three inches long and sewing me up. I also have an area on my face that needs freezing and several other spots and bumps to be looked at.

What kind of education does a PA have?  I don't think I'd want one cutting me up either.  Sounds to me like you need a plastic surgeon not anyone's assistant![/quote]

I believe they have at least a 4 year degree but I don't care. I am seeing the dermatologist on Thursday.

148 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Bugster2

Katie had her second eye done today and came home and wolfed down a taco and a burrito. Prolly no dinner for her tonight. We are having leftover chicken that has a spice rub similar to jerk but without the heat. Leftover Ina Garten's corn salad.

A couple of miles from here, a college student was murdered. I feel sorry for his parents. They are truly amazing people. They don't want to know the reason he was killed by his friend and they have set up a scholarship in his name. Better people than I am. I would demand answers.

149 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm

bethk

Admin
What do you cook for a 49th Anniversary celebration? (Geeze, Louise, that's a L*O*N*G time.....)

You heat up a container of chili from the freezer.......that's what you cook!

We have plans to go out for lobster tomorrow night to celebrate with Lyn & Bill.....so even though it was our 'real' anniversary today we're OK with a slight delay on the celebration meal.

150 Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:

What kind of education does a PA have?  I don't think I'd want one cutting me up either.  Sounds to me like you need a plastic surgeon not anyone's assistant!

I believe they have at least a 4 year degree but I don't care. I am seeing the dermatologist on Thursday.[/quote]

Next question would be a 4 year degree in what??????????? Hopefully the dermatologist has more than 4 years under his/her belt. Good luck!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum