Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My sister's kitchen

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My sister's kitchen Empty My sister's kitchen Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Can you ask for input from your food blog concerning the following:

My sister is remodeling a different home and has room for the following: a 48” range or possibly a 60” and 2 ovens. They do a lot of entertaining and with her current 48” range, she feels for her new remodel, she would like another oven or two. Here are her questions & she plans to use Wolf/Subzero products. She lives in Southern California

Plan to use Series M for electric wall oven

Plan to use Series M for electric steam oven — what are your thoughts about these?

Should she go dual fuel for the 48” or all gas (since she will have electric wall ovens)?

Is there any reason she should expand from a 48” to a 60” and delete an oven?

She currently has a 48” wolf dual fuel with a french cook top and said she hasn’t used the french cooktop nearly as much as she thought she would so she is thinking with this purchase of switching to 6 burners and one griddle.

2My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

JanaAZ

Definitely dual fuel. Electric ovens cook more evenly.

As far as 48 vs 60... that’s a personal choice. With the 60she can get 2 full size ovens rather than the wall ovens does she need the extra burners. If she thinks she’ll use them, then go for the extra burners. I have 6 and have never needed more. I cook a lot and for big groups. The questions she’s asking are personal and she needs to evaluate for her personal experience and usage

3My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No opinion here....mainly because as we downsized there is not a thought given to having bigger.

I don't envy her trying to decide what to do. I always second-guess myself to death....

4My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:No opinion here....mainly because as we downsized there is not a thought given to having bigger.

I don't envy her trying to decide what to do.  I always second-guess myself to death....

She is second guessing for the umpteenth time. The reason, and the only reason she is thinking about some wall ovens is that she can get a steam oven whereas the $20,000 Wolf can't be had with this feature. I have no idea what you would use a steam oven for and I doubt that she really knows. I thought she had her mind made up weeks ago. She has a huge waterfront home that cost millions that is being remodeled inside and out for another million or so. I guess she wants what one would expect in a home of that caliber.

5My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:41 pm

JanaAZ

Steam ovens are perfect for bread bakers. If she doesn't bake bread....why bother.

6My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:Definitely dual fuel. Electric ovens cook more evenly.

As far as 48 vs 60... that’s a personal choice. With the 60she can get 2 full size ovens rather than the wall ovens  does she need the extra burners.  If she thinks she’ll use them, then go for the extra burners.  I have 6 and have never needed more. I cook a lot and for big groups. The questions she’s asking are personal and she needs to evaluate for her personal experience and usage

Great advice, Judy! Being older with a bad back, I'd stick a new 48" stove with six burners, as I'd rather have the two wall ovens to eliminate bending than go with the 60" to get the two full size ovens down below. Re the steam oven, even if she's thinking down the line to a possible resale, the steam oven is such a special animal that it might only appeal to one of those men/women who want EVERYTHING in their kitchen, and I usually laugh as they often don't even cook. One thing people don't think of is the intense heat when they get too big a stove or one that was made for a commercial kitchen. I know people who've had them pulled out for that very same reason. But oh boy, what fun to have that kind of money to play with.

7My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think she is looking at a Thermador or a Miele for the wall ovens. I know nothing about a steam oven but she says they keep things moist while baking. you can't brown with one unless it is also a convection oven.

8My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm

JanaAZ

beware of the thermador wall ovens. my sisterinlaw had nothing but problems with hers. idon't know details about the miele. I will say....make sure that you can get service on it. I previously had a bosch cooktop which I loved....but when I needed service, Bosch pulled their service from the Phoenix area and it was hard to get somebody to actually do the repair.

9My sister's kitchen Empty Re: My sister's kitchen Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you. I will tell her about the Thermador.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum