Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 11]

126December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never eaten London broil. Is it a tough-ish type of meat?

127December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes. It's top round or top sirloin.....can't remember.

But if it's thick enough to grill rare or medium rare and you slice it thin across the grain it's really good.

128December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ruby Tuesday cooked tonight. Tina had breaded shrimp, and Jimmy had Cajun Tilapia.

Speaking of Cajun, ...... haven't heard from Crybaby in a couple weeks. Maybe they went to a hotel temporarily while the construction phase is going on on their house?
Any clues??

129December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 pm

NormM

NormM

London Broil is a type of cooking and can be done with any tough-ish cut. It was traditionally flank steak which has somewhat of a brisket type grain. If you cook it hot for a short time and slice it thin and across the grain it is very tasty and not really tough. Or you can braise it for a long time with a little moisture with low heat but anything in between will make a tough and chewy meal.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

130December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:London Broil is a type of cooking and can be done with any tough-ish cut. It was traditionally flank steak which has somewhat of a brisket type grain.  If you cook it hot for a short time and slice it thin and across the grain it is very tasty and not really tough.  Or you can braise it for a long time with a little moisture with low heat but anything in between will make a tough and chewy meal.
And moms famous saying when brother and I would say,"Gee Ma, this steak is tough!" And she would say, "Chew it; that's why god gave you teeth!" No

Actually, there was no such thing as marinade, or BBQ sauce.
A-1 Steak sauce was the only thing back then.
Mom made meat tender by whacking the hell out of it with a meat tenderizer hammer, and Adolphs Meat Tenderizer powder.

131December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. Next time it is on sale I will give it a try.

132December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea asked me to go to Peterbrooke Chocolates to pick up some chocolate covered peanuts and raisins for Jim for a Christmas present. Geeze Louise! They are sold out of the bulk bins where you place your bag under the valve and open it. It ended up being $41 for chocolates! I just about died when I saw the price. But she was fine with it.

I just hope he doesn't eat them all at one sitting like he did last year......

He'll probably OD on them and we'll have to call the EMT's to come and revive him. LOL

133December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was grilled burgers ~ mine on a toasted bun, his plain. I added ketchup, mustard, Tony Packo Sweet Hot Pickles and sliced onion. While I was grilling the burgers 'HE' was tending the tater tots. Had some mixed vegetables along side.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 12_19_10

134December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Andrea asked me to go to Peterbrooke Chocolates to pick up some chocolate covered peanuts and raisins for Jim for a Christmas present.  Geeze Louise!  They are sold out of the bulk bins where you place your bag under the valve and open it.  It ended up being $41 for chocolates!  I just about died when I saw the price.  But she was fine with it.

I just hope he doesn't eat them all at one sitting like he did last year......

He'll probably OD on them and we'll have to call the EMT's to come and revive him.  LOL

OMG .... eat the whole choco nuts ?? .... So Funny.....LOL

That really happened with my uncle Tony the plumber.... He ate 2 lbs of those brined shriveled black olives, and they had to call the ambulance.
To the hospital he went, and they pumped his stomach out, and the nurse said,"What the hell was this man eating?" "COAL?"

As a matter of fact, his wife, ( Aunt Lizzy ) was blamed for his death.
He had a heart attack, and even at the funeral parlor, they pointed at her and said, "You Killed Tony!" "You fed him too much!"

135December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a bowl ( container ) of brocolli cheese soup with fresh sliced and buttered Italian bread.
Dessert was a huge 2 x size Boston Cream doughnut with chocolate glaze.
Tina got back from doing chores and shopping for her uncle . She is passed out on the recliner in the living room. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz!!

136December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tina sounds like me. After errands I come home and pass out on the couch.
Dinner tonight is a grilled ribeye for Joe and a loaded twice baked potato. Katie and I are having a twice baked potato and some breaded chicken tenders.
I have been doing my semi-annual pantry clean out, getting rid of the expired food. I came across something I had missed: a container of Lipton's instant iced tea that expired in 2016. Joe almost wouldn't let me toss it. Trust me Joe, it will taste stale. Out it goes.

137December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight was grilled burgers ~ mine on a toasted bun, his plain.  I added ketchup, mustard, Tony Packo Sweet Hot Pickles and sliced onion.  While I was grilling the burgers 'HE' was tending the tater tots.  Had some mixed vegetables along side.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 12_19_10

Would you believe, all that I ate tonight, and I am getting hungry looking at your burger platter. Maybe tomorrow.

138December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Beth's pot roast in the Instant pot along with parsnips and Brussels sprouts. While I am not a big fan of Brussles sprouts, but I don't dislike them and I eat them from time to time. However it is my opinion that cooking them with a roast was a mistake.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 20171221

139December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Norm....lesson learned. Personally, I really like Brussels sprouts. But only cooked in my cast iron pan with the bacon, etc. or roasted on an open sheet pan in a hot oven. I think, especially under pressure in the Instant Pot, the icky part would be forced out and permeate the entire meal. Hopefully you were able to have the roast without it tasting like swamp cabbage.

140December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We like the brussels sprouts just boiled and buttered lightly.
Tina eats them by peeling leaf by leaf. It's a funny sight!

141December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like brussels sprouts until I get to the bitter after-taste. I read somewhere that if you buy sprouts that are 1" or smaller, they don't have that bitter taste. I used to have a recipe for shaved BS and bacon. Lost the recipe when my old computer died. I will have to see if I can find it again. That recipe never tasted bitter.

142December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I like brussels sprouts until I get to the bitter after-taste. I read somewhere that if you buy sprouts that are 1" or smaller, they don't have that bitter taste. I used to have a recipe for shaved BS and bacon. Lost the recipe when my old computer died. I will have to see if I can find it again. That recipe never tasted bitter.

Do you get the fresh ones Deb? .... we don't like the fresh ones. We like the frozen ones. Probably because we grew up on them.

143December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think over cooking allows the Brussels sprouts become bitter. My mother did the typical boiling, like everyone did in the 1950's and 60's. She covered them with water and boiled until they were falling apart tender. It was more like Brussels Mush. And none of us kids liked them. Of course, we each had our obligitory ONE on our plate. It's amazing how creative kids can get when trying to hide something on their plate!

144December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I like brussels sprouts until I get to the bitter after-taste. I read somewhere that if you buy sprouts that are 1" or smaller, they don't have that bitter taste. I used to have a recipe for shaved BS and bacon. Lost the recipe when my old computer died. I will have to see if I can find it again. That recipe never tasted bitter.

Do you get the fresh ones Deb? .... we don't like the fresh ones. We like the frozen ones. Probably because we grew up on them.

Fresh. Haven't tried the frozen. When we were kids we loved peeling off the leaves, on by one and eating them even though we really didn't like them.

145December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I know what you mean, Beth, about things like knitting, crocheting and tatting! I recently looked at classes offered by Joann Shop for both knitting and crocheting. My mom taught me the basics of both but all I can do is basic stitches and make an afghan or a muffler, as I don't know how to drop and add stitches, follow a pattern, etc. I thought I might take a class to learn how to knit in the new year. It's not very pricey at all.

Plus we have a very old small library a couple blocks away -- it's historic, too, as our neighborhood is. There's a knitting/crocheting group that meets there once or twice a month -- the library lends itself out to community meetings, book author talks once a month with book sales of the featured book once a month, and I found out about the group and asked someone in Nextdoor if anyone taught classes over there. I was told no, but you know darn well that there would be lots of women there who would be happy to help a new learner if I took a course at the Joann Shop.

I do a lot of shopping on etsy and have been intrigued by the throws offered that are now in vogue, knitted on huge needles -- they're so pretty but the cost is high. That got me thinking of knitting and crocheting again but really learning how to make something besides a square or rectangular item!!! I'm a long way from purchasing huge knitting needles but it did get me interested again as yarns offered today are amazing!

I have a Singer sewing machine that was never removed from the box. (My mom wanted to buy me one but I had no place to put it so I declined. Am smiling because she gave me one anyway. It was never removed from the box and the box, am grinning, still has some of the Christmas wrap attached!!!) I am pretty good at making clothing as I used to do that all the time for myself when I was younger. I even helped my mom a couple of times when she taught a sewing class at my grammar school on weekends (for free, bless her heart, even though she worked 5-1/2 days as an R.N.) I think I mentioned how here before about how embarrassed and scared I was when my mom's assistant was absent and she asked me to come and walk around while the ladies tried the techniques they were working on so I could help them when they encountered problems or had questions. I was only about 9 or 10 so I didn't think adult women would like it very much getting advice from a kid. I was wrong -- they made me feel like a million bucks as they raved about me to my mom (my hero back then and still!) and how shocked they were when I could answer their questions and explain how to do something properly when they were having trouble!

Today I think the patterns are much easier and I even bought some patterns in 2007 when I was losing a lot of weight and buying all new clothes. In truth, I bought them for a dressmaker but never used them. I could easily make some of them myself especially if I started with easier patterns I got and not ones requiring a lot of tailoring like some of the jacket patterns I got. I like making baby clothes, too, and even simple things like what we used to call diaper "jackets" --- little light cotton tops that babies/infants wear with a diaper that are sleeveless or have short sleeves. Popular down here due to our hot climate, probably even more so today since fewer people overdress their babies in too much clothing like they used to when I was a kid. I embroider, too, and am pretty skilled at that though I haven't done it in years -- but I still have my huge basket of DMC embroidery threads. It's fun to embroider either trim (e.g., collars, decorative pockets or cuffs) on the little diaper jackets or the body of them with small kittens, ducks, flowers, etc. My mom used to make those when her sisters were PG -- she'd give them about a half dozen of them in the prettiest pale colors with the cutest things embroidered on them. You can buy remnants of soft cotton for the small amount of fabrics you need.

Natch, I type too much and am also off topic! We're having leftover London broil, sautéed cherry tomatoes with frozen hash browns. I had Brian pick up a couple bags of Ore-Ida frozen hash browns a good while back (one of the few potato items he will eat) and we recently finished off a half bag of them; they're not very good and extremely difficult to brown. I read a tip not so long ago that I'm going to try tonight. I'm going to spread a layer of them on a hot waffle iron that I've sprayed with Pam and hopefully, that will make them crunchy as well as sufficiently browned. Sounded easy, too! Will let you know how they turn out. And no gravy needed with hash browns. I made the London broil with Mad Hunky rub, Jimmy! It's good but we preferred the simple method we normally use: rub both sides of the meat with cut garlic cloves, then rub with soft butter, and then season heavily with salt and black pepper. Then I put it on a grid over a sheet pan for a couple of hours to get to room temp. Takes me 10 minutes to cook on the griddle pan on my stove and comes out super. So tasty and tender and QUICK!! The Mad Hunky version wasn't as juicy as we're used to, though it was good. I used too much rub on it, too, before I "food savored" it -- I rubbed the excess off with a paper towel before I grilled it! Lesson learned...

146December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I tried riding a bike again a few years ago. I was pretty wobbly on that too.  And it was a lot harder to go up hill too.

Laughed, Norm. Am so impressed with your kiln and your already known pottery skills. You are so talented and are good at so many things that you made me truly envious. Please share pics when you are back where you want to be, as I'd love to see more of your work.

It's so nice Charlie has your artist genes, too! I should mention how much I'd kill for a basement, too -- good place for a freezer and a second fridge!

147December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:As a matter of fact, his wife, ( Aunt Lizzy ) was blamed for his death. He had a heart attack, and even at the funeral parlor, they pointed at her and said, "You Killed Tony!" "You fed him too much!"

Yeah, I can just see poor Lizzy prying Uncle Tony's mouth open and force-feeding him!

148December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We can't wait for the snow tomorrow. Watching the weather channel, it is rare they are getting snow in New Orleans and in GA.

How about it Michelle????.... Cold and snow ?

Locally, Jimmy, we got a few flakes but nothing that accumulated. Brian called me to go to the window to see the flakes. It was rainy, sleeting and cold. I could hear the sleet hitting the new French doors in my bedroom.

But across the lake from N.O., they got a "lot" of snow (for this locale anyway) -- 3 inches to 7 inches in some places. People who grew up with snow are stunned at how much commotion even flurries cause down here -- schools shut down, colleges, public offices, and the number of accidents is mind-boggling! I smiled watching the coverage as authorities on the north shore (across Lake Pontchartrain from us) were asking people to stay home if they didn't have to go to work. We don't know how to drive on icy roads and it's like driving in a sea of bumper cars.

A couple of days before the "snowstorm" (they were actually calling it that on the news and Brian and I were howling), I had an appointment way out in the Jefferson area of town where I have to go to the main campus of Ochsner Hospital to get treated for my pulmonary hypertension. It was cold and rainy but we park in the valet parking area under the parking garage so we had no problems getting wet or cold. I had to get blood drawn as always, a short echocardiogram, and then had just over an hour until my 2:30 pm doctor appt. so we went to her area of the clinic and checked in. She called me in quite early and we were laughing as she said I was the only one who hadn't cancelled! She said, "It's not like it's snowing outside for goodness sake!" She's originally from Baltimore and so I told her how Brian and I were howling too. I said, "You know us old people, Doc -- we don't like driving in that scary rain!" Such a big hospital, like a city, and involves tons of walking. I was driving out of the garage at 2:22 pm and so we drove to LaPlace to get some smoked andouille, smoked sausage, spicy hogshead cheese, freshly ground filet and a smoked chicken to supplement the smoked turkey meat I had. The day of the "snowstorm" I made a big pot of smoked turkey (chicken, too), andouille and oyster gumbo. Brian was so glad I'd talked him into letting me head to LaPlace after the doctor -- heck, we were just about halfway there. Plus he was glad we weren't driving in that sleet, too! I know better and wouldn't have gone. Too many idiots behind the wheel for me.

149December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today I pulled a half a pork tenderloin out of the freezer....one of the 'single-pack' ones. It looked to be about 10-12 oz. in total, more than enough for the two of us. I thawed it out and blotted it dry with paper towels. I had to trim off the silver skin ~ that stuff is so nasty if you don't cut it off before cooking. It's like eating rubber bands.

I seasoned it with the Hungarian Steak Seasoning (which is a very nice blend of multiple spices) and seared it on all sides and ends in some oil in my little cast iron skillet. When it was seared and browned I removed it and added some chopped shallots and fresh thyme and then about a cup and a half of halved red grapes. When the shallots and grapes were soft and the grapes were giving up some juice I nestled the pork tenderloin back in the skillet and put it in a 450° oven for about 15 minutes ~ let it get to an internal temperature of 130°. Then I removed it to a plate, covered lightly, to rest and started to reduce the juices in the skillet. When most of the juice was evaporated I mounted it with a few pats of butter to use as a sauce over the sliced meat.

I had small sweet potatoes that I baked and I had purchased some fresh sweet corn to cut off the cob and turn into some Southern Creamed Corn with my Dixie Dust seasoning and a bit of heavy cream and butter.

Small pork tenderloin ready for serving:

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 12_20_11

Pork tenderloin with grape/shallot sauce, baked sweet potatoes and creamed corn:

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 12_20_12

150December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 6 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:44 pm

NormM

NormM

That sounds quite yummy, Beth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum