Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Bugster2

avatar
My sister made that mistake. The turkey was very salty and the drippings had to be tossed. They really should state in large letters on the wrap that the turkey is brined. So many people who are on salt restricted diets are not aware of what they are eating.

177 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Supper was great!  A perfectly roasted chicken is the very best meal and a great pot roast comes in a very, very close second, IMO.

The hardest thing was smelling it in the oven from 1:30 - 5:00.  I think the leftovers will get turned into a beef roast cottage pie of sorts.  I'll figure it out later in the week.






And I have plenty of extra gravy.....enough to use for the leftovers!

178 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Yeah!.... I found a bunch of steaks in the freezer. 6 tube steaks. ( Hot Dogs ) LOL
I just swallowed two boiled hot dogs, and they are all vegetable . No taste....
not even a hint of being a hot dog.
It was like chewing on my thumb; if you ask me!!

I will have a snack later. OOooops! No worry! Tina bringing back pizza on way back from store.

179 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:43 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Vegetarian hot dogs.....nah!

I'm with you, Jimmy ~ it's hard to change your ways at this stage of the game. But I'm sure you'll find the pizza more to your liking. Just keep it in moderation.

180 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Pizza with onions and peppers ( *Burp* ) and a beer to wash it down..... perfect!

181 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 pm

NormM

avatar
I once had a vegetarian hot dog for lunch and it was terrible. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

182 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 am

Imelda HL

avatar
While you all were talking about endless turkey, we bought a pair of turkey thighs at Sprouts today Laughing ... The other day I bought home some leftover turkey,a thigh, a leg, the back and some scraps, I made some soup with the back and scraps, but Dirk did not have enough of it, he ate my turkey thigh too, by the time I looked for it, it was all gone, I did not really mind, but then he realized that his Mom gave me the thigh as I don't like white meat, he felt guilty, so when he saw Sprouts still sells them, he insisted to buy some to replace the thigh he ate, so turkey thighs for dinner tomorrow, I still have no idea what to do with them

183 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:40 am

Imelda HL

avatar
bethk wrote:Supper was great!  A perfectly roasted chicken is the very best meal and a great pot roast comes in a very, very close second, IMO.

The hardest thing was smelling it in the oven from 1:30 - 5:00.  I think the leftovers will get turned into a beef roast cottage pie of sorts.  I'll figure it out later in the week.






And I have plenty of extra gravy.....enough to use for the leftovers!

Beth, your pot roast looks so good, I read your post before this, about how you cooked it and the story about the way your Dad cooked it, I can imagine how good it will turn out, I like pot roast too and I ( and Dirk) like our meat with some fat on it, and oh, the gravy.. I begin to like eating gravy now, I did not really like it before

184 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:I once had a vegetarian hot dog for lunch and it was terrible. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

Norm, same thing here!....
I forgot to mention, when I threw out the water I boiled the veggi dogs in, the water was reddish. They must dye the dogs with red coloring.

Tina said I am better off with the good ole regular hot dogs.

185 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Supper was great!  A perfectly roasted chicken is the very best meal and a great pot roast comes in a very, very close second, IMO.

The hardest thing was smelling it in the oven from 1:30 - 5:00.  I think the leftovers will get turned into a beef roast cottage pie of sorts.  I'll figure it out later in the week.






And I have plenty of extra gravy.....enough to use for the leftovers!

Beth, your pot roast looks so good, I read your post before this, about how you cooked it and the story about the way your Dad cooked it, I can imagine how good it will turn out, I like pot roast too and I ( and Dirk)  like our meat with some fat on it, and oh, the gravy.. I begin to like eating gravy now, I did not really like it before

I made a pastrami on rye and thought of Imelda and Dirk.
The pastrami was first cut and was too lean. I like the fat on the pastrami so that it is juicy and greasy. Same with a corned beef sandwich.

186 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Imelda HL wrote:While you all were talking about endless turkey, we bought a pair of turkey thighs at Sprouts today Laughing ... The other day I bought home some leftover turkey,a thigh, a leg, the back and some scraps, I made some soup with the back and scraps, but Dirk did not have enough of it, he ate my turkey thigh too, by the time I looked for it, it was all gone, I did not really mind, but then he realized that his Mom gave me the thigh as I don't like white meat, he felt guilty, so when he saw Sprouts still sells them, he insisted to buy some to replace the thigh he ate, so turkey thighs for dinner tomorrow, I still have no idea what to do with them

Imelda, I had to laugh as Dirk is a 'typical' man ~ he had 'Eater's Remorse' AFTER he ate your turkey thigh and suddenly remembered it was YOUR favorite part of the turkey! How their stomach rules their actions! LOL

How ever you prepare them, I'm sure he'll enjoy the meal. Personally, I'd do them with some of your wonderful spices and have them with rice......just be sure to let us know what you did and how Dirk enjoyed them!

187 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:03 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
NormM wrote:I once had a vegetarian hot dog for lunch and it was terrible. It left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

I know some people eat those for health reasons, but, man....the TASTE! Not something for me! (The one I tried, even the dog wouldn't finish......now THAT'S BAD!)

I've had some vege burgers that were pretty good, but not the kind that looks and mimics hamburger. The one's that are 'black bean burgers', with bits of bean and other ingredients, including some really tasty spices were the best. I don't understand the idea of trying to make beans and tofu into a 'burger look'. If it's not ground meat then just create the best tasting vegetable patty you can. Don't try to get people to 'believe' it's meat.

188 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I  forgot to mention, when I threw out the water I boiled the veggi dogs in, the water was reddish. They must dye the dogs with red coloring.

Tina said I am better off with the good ole regular hot dogs.

I agree with Tina. Did you look at the list of ingredients on the package? Man, THAT'S scary! And how often do you really eat hot dogs? Not often, I'll bet. So if you eat a couple REAL meat hot dogs, sure it's not the healthiest meal, but it's still better than mystery ingredients that we really don't know how they affect our bodies.

189 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 am

Bugster2

avatar
Life is too short to eat bad tasting food. I would rather have one real hot dog a year than to have a month of veggie dogs.

190 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 am

Bugster2

avatar
We had some leftover eggnog so I thought I would try making an eggnog cake. I got a recipe from somewhere for an impressive triple layer cake. I made it yesterday and it looks pretty, tastes just like eggnog, but it is dry and I did not over-bake it. It had 1/4 cup of oil and 1 cup of butter. Still dry. Joe might eat some but most of it will go in the trash. I hate that.

191 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:08 pm

NormM

avatar
If vegetarians don't want to eat meat, why do they try to make so many things look and taste like meat?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

192 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Bugster2

avatar
I went to Costco today to pick up a few things, one being vanilla. The last time I bought a bottle it was around $12 for 16oz. Today it was almost $27. I almost passed out. What has happened that vanilla has become so expensive? Some kind of blight or drought?

193 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

NormM

avatar
Yesterday a man entered our Costco with a gun and started shouting and waving a gun. An off duty police captain from a nearby city was shopping there and shot him dead before anyone else was hurt. They say the Costco employees acted quickly and effectively to protect shoppers.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

194 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:I went to Costco today to pick up a few things, one being vanilla. The last time I bought a bottle it was around $12 for 16oz. Today it was almost $27. I almost passed out. What has happened that vanilla has become so expensive? Some kind of blight or drought?

I know, the last time I bought Vanilla at Costco was $9.99, it was years ago, when I finished it I went back to buy it again, it's $24, I did not buy it, I made my own, I forgot I had some vanilla beans in my fridge drawer from a long time ago, all I had to do was soak them in alcohol, I used Rye Whiskey as I did not have bourbon, now I don't need to buy vanilla anymore, I just added more whiskey every time I used it

195 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:


I made a pastrami on rye and thought of Imelda and Dirk.
The pastrami was first cut and was too lean. I like the fat on the pastrami so that it is juicy and greasy. Same with a corned beef sandwich.

Yes, we like some fat on our meat, we don't like anything with low fat or non fat, I know it's not a good habit, now we ( I ) try to cut down on them, eat less and cut some of the visible fat off

196 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
bethk wrote:
Imelda, I had to laugh as Dirk is a 'typical' man ~ he had 'Eater's Remorse' AFTER he ate your turkey thigh and suddenly remembered it was YOUR favorite part of the turkey!  How their stomach rules their actions!  LOL

How ever you prepare them, I'm sure he'll enjoy the meal.  Personally, I'd do them with some of your wonderful spices and have them with rice......just be sure to let us know what you did and how Dirk enjoyed them!

I'm going to brown the skin until crispy, then bake them in the oven, then pour some garlic lemon sauce on them, I'll do it tomorrow, today we ate Vietnamese vermicelli salad

197 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
NormM wrote:If vegetarians don't want to eat meat, why do they try to make so many things look and taste like meat?

Exactly what we were thinking, and why do they make mock/imitation meat and seafood? they cost more than the real meat.. I have a friend who open a vegetarian restaurant, the price on their menu is a bit more expensive than regular Chinese food, they have the same names for their foods, like sweet sour chicken, Kung Pao chicken and else.

A long time go, I ate at my friend's house, her Mom was a vegetarian, oh my, when I bit into their mock meat, it tasted like rubber, like eating dumpling but more chewy, after that I tried to avoid eating at their house

198 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Bugster2

avatar
NormM wrote:Yesterday a man entered our Costco with a gun and started shouting and waving a gun.  An off duty police captain from a nearby city was shopping there and shot him dead before anyone else was hurt.  They say the Costco employees acted quickly and effectively to protect shoppers.  

What is wrong with people? You never heard about these things 50 years ago. I am sure the media has a lot to do with it. Copycat killers.

199 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:


I made a pastrami on rye and thought of Imelda and Dirk.
The pastrami was first cut and was too lean. I like the fat on the pastrami so that it is juicy and greasy. Same with a corned beef sandwich.

Yes, we like some fat on our meat, we don't like anything with low fat or non fat, I know it's not a good habit, now we ( I ) try to cut down on them, eat less and cut some of the visible fat off

Here is a funny one. I purposely cooked a nice corned beef just for me, with the nice fat on it. When it cools, I had a plan to slice it thin on the meat slicer. I came up from downstairs, and I looked at the corn beef, and almost fainted. Tina said,"Oh hon, I scraped off all the no good fat off that corned beef you made. #$^$%^%$# I said.silent












200 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:We had some leftover eggnog so I thought I would try making an eggnog cake. I got a recipe from somewhere for an impressive triple layer cake. I made it yesterday and it looks pretty, tastes just like eggnog, but it is dry and I did not over-bake it. It had 1/4 cup of oil and 1 cup of butter. Still dry. Joe might eat some but most of it will go in the trash. I hate that.

Hate Hate Hate egg nog.... Mom , bless her soul, forced us as kids to drink her home made egg nog. It made me and brother g a g ..... smelled like egg shells 2 days old. Plus, the white skanky rooster spit we called it, was visible as we gagged drinking it. ughhh!!

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum