Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Beth, I'm asking her right now, and she said, "Thankfully, it is all staying down with no pain. Thank you Beth!"
I did too much friday picking up the Baby, and it sort of strained my stomach muscles a little.

Yeah, the 'little guy' ain't so little anymore! But how do you ignore him when he wants to be picked up? Good luck on figuring out that one!

Hopefully Tina is a 'fast healer' and all the messin' around they did inside her will be quick to fix itself. It would be wonderful if she could get her strength back and really enjoy Thanksgiving this week.

Tell her I'm still saying prayers for her (but she has to cooperate and rest).

102 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:How's it going for Tina's digestion, Jimmy?  I know she's only able to eat small portions but is she out of distress?


Beth, I'm asking her right now, and she said, "Thankfully, it is all staying down with no pain. Thank you Beth!"
I did too much friday picking up the Baby, and it sort of strained my stomach muscles a little.

Thank heavens Jimmy! She has suffered for too long.

Yeah Debbie! She did 16 years of suffering, and now even though she has to refrain from over stuffing herself, and only eating 1/3 of anything, she is happy she had it looked at.

I / we get to see the dr in 2 weeks to ask what he actually repaired.
I am too!

103 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
It was cool and somewhat overcast today.....had a bit of rain ~ more of a light shower. So I thought some oven baked squash seemed like a good idea. I had one butternut squash from Ohio left in the garage refrigerator (still have 2 acorn in the drawer) and it was looking like it was needing to be cooked. It sure was tasty.

I thawed out a center cut pork chop for HIM and a small piece of pork steak for me ~ seasoned with s&p and then dusted with flour and browned in some evoo until browned. Then I gave the skillet a shot of chicken stock and added a lid to let the pork tender up. And, to make Mr. Amazing smile, I boiled up some baby lima beans to finish off our meal.

104 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Beth... seems like a pleasing meal...

Pork steaks here, came out good. I ate one, and Tina saved hers for maybe tomorrow.
I made her a griddled cheese instead. She ate 2/3 of the sandwich with no problems.
She didn't want to eat the grease with the pork, so she wasn't going to push it!
I had cubed potatoes with a little butter and chives. Steamed Broccoli with Mrs. Dash for seasoning.

105 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beth... seems like a pleasing meal...

Pork steaks here, came out good. I ate one, and Tina saved hers for maybe tomorrow.
I made her a griddled cheese instead. She ate 2/3 of the sandwich with no problems.
She didn't want to eat the grease with the pork, so she wasn't going to push it!
I had cubed potatoes with a little butter and chives. Steamed Broccoli with Mrs. Dash for seasoning.

Your meal sounds good, Jimmy. I think Tina was wise not to 'push' her desire to have fatty pork, even though I'm sure she would have loved the taste of it. After all she's been through, there is no sense in taking chances of returning to the results prior to her surgery.

Congratulations to YOU on working to cut back on the fats in your diet. I'm sure it's not easy ~ as I can attest to, to be sure! But keep up the good work and you will help keep yourself away from the nasty doctors, too!

106 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beth... seems like a pleasing meal...

Pork steaks here, came out good. I ate one, and Tina saved hers for maybe tomorrow.
I made her a griddled cheese instead. She ate 2/3 of the sandwich with no problems.
She didn't want to eat the grease with the pork, so she wasn't going to push it!
I had cubed potatoes with a little butter and chives. Steamed Broccoli with Mrs. Dash for seasoning.

Your meal sounds good, Jimmy.  I think Tina was wise not to 'push' her desire to have fatty pork, even though I'm sure she would have loved the taste of it.  After all she's been through, there is no sense in taking chances of returning to the results prior to her surgery.

Congratulations to YOU on working to cut back on the fats in your diet.  I'm sure it's not easy ~ as I can attest to, to be sure!  But keep up the good work and you will help keep yourself away from the nasty doctors, too!

I have been cutting back. Not eliminating 100%, but as you said, cutting back.
i.e. I normally would eat 3 burgers, or three chili dogs. Now, I eat two veggie burgers. One on a bun, and the second no bun.
I now eat salads. More vegetables. Egg beaters ( whites, colored yellow )
Just because I like them because they are less gassy .

Now here comes an adjustment. Spaghetti! LOL I used to eat three plates and sausage and meatballs with it, P L U S. Bread. like 4 slices with 1/2 a stick of butter.  pig  pig  pig
N O W..... 1 + 1/2 plate + NO BREAD+ Salad.

Today, Tina woke up early, and brightened up with all smiles. We got a little dusting of snow / sleet overnight. So she put on a pot of chicken soup!  Yummm!

Am I losing Weight???..... very ssssllllloooooowwwwwlllllyyyyy!!!!

107 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Geeze Louise, Jimmy.....if you've lost ANY weight, you're losing it faster than I am.

But, quite honestly, I don't give a dam ~ I'm sick of giving up so many things I love and enjoy. I don't eat them regularly, as I did when I was younger, but if I want something, I fix it and enjoy it. I'm no longer feeling guilty about it.

Am I losing weight??? No, but I'm not gaining so I'm checking off as if I'm in the 'WIN' catagory!

108 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Geeze Louise, Jimmy.....if you've lost ANY weight, you're losing it faster than I am.

But, quite honestly, I don't give a dam ~ I'm sick of giving up so many things I love and enjoy.  I don't eat them regularly, as I did when I was younger, but if I want something, I fix it and enjoy it.  I'm no longer feeling guilty about it.

Am I losing weight???  No, but I'm not gaining so I'm checking off as if I'm in the 'WIN' catagory!

Tina said , she likes your thinking. And me too!

109 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Bugster2

avatar
As a person ages, they lose the mitochondria in the cells. These are what help burn off fat. The less you have, the harder it is to lose weight. Also, some people are carriers of a "fat gene". My sister is a carrier. I don't know if I have it, but I would say no. It means that it is really hard to lose weight and all you have to do is look at food to gain it back. Your body rules.

110 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:As a person ages, they lose the mitochondria in the cells. These are what help burn off fat. The less you have, the harder it is to lose weight. Also, some people are carriers of a "fat gene". My sister is a carrier. I don't know if I have it, but I would say no. It means that it is really hard to lose weight and all you have to do is look at food to gain it back. Your body rules.

So true Deb. Tina always said Heavy tendencies run in her family.
Especially her fathers side. When she first met her aunt Margie on her fathers side, ( Her father ran away like a coward when she was born, so she never associated with his family )she said "Holy Cow"...Now I know where I got my hips &
thighs from!" .....

Another thing people say is, "I have a thyroid problem!"
Yep! just like aunt Angie, when she ate the whole coconut custard pie!

111 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Tonight was a grillin' night!

Burgers on the gas grill.....no buns (mainly because I was too lazy to get them out of the freezer, thaw them, toast them ~ NOT because I'm avoiding all buns!). Dane made each of us 10 tater tots while I was grilling the burgers. He uses just a touch of evoo and keeps turning them in a hot pan to crisp them up.....and only HE would count out how many we should have. He probably checked the nutrition info on the package to decide. I made some slaw with a light Asian dressing to go with everything.

I'll probably be hungry later but there's nothing sweet in the house so I'll most likely just go to bed in a bad mood.....Hahahahahaha.

112 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Tonight was a grillin' night!

Burgers on the gas grill.....no buns (mainly because I was too lazy to get them out of the freezer, thaw them, toast them ~ NOT because I'm avoiding all buns!).  Dane made each of us 10 tater tots while I was grilling the burgers.  He uses just a touch of evoo and keeps turning them in a hot pan to crisp them up.....and only HE would count out how many we should have.  He probably checked the nutrition info on the package to decide.  I made some slaw with a light Asian dressing to go with everything.

I'll probably be hungry later but there's nothing sweet in the house so I'll most likely just go to bed in  a bad mood.....Hahahahahaha.

I had two bowls of chicken soup, and a slice of coconut custard pie.
An hour later ( now ) the Mrs. comes by me crunching on something.
Small bite size puffed rice cakes with caramel drizzled on them.
I got 6 and in 2 seconds....they disappeared. They are good!

I'm still hungry, so I am going to have some canned pear halves, or peaches. They are 1/2 can size. In a light syrup. Good, and lots of fruit in that can.

113 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

NormM

avatar
Every year that I don't host Thanksgiving, I do a mini Thanksgiving the next day for us to have leftovers. I got a ham today for part of that dinner, then cut into it for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

114 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
NormM wrote:Every year that I don't host Thanksgiving, I do a mini Thanksgiving the next day for us to have leftovers.  I got a ham today for part of that dinner, then cut into it for a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

I've always thought your traditional 'day after Thanksgiving' menu idea was ideal, Norm. Making a small turkey, some homemade dressing, maybe a couple other 'must have' sides is a great way to have your fill of a meal you love and not worrying about 'the big show' (as Ed Sullivan use to say) and just enjoying the cooking and eating.

But today your ham has my mouth watering ~ I can still smell the sliced ham frying in butter in a cast iron skillet when I was a girl and Grandma would be making lunches for the field workers during summer hay harvesting/cutting. My grandpa and two uncles worked around the clock and Grandma was in charge of being sure everyone was fed regularly. Those ham slices smelled so wonderful. I still love a good ham sandwich with yellow mustard on white bread - the kind that smooshes down and absorbs the ham juices.

Our WinnDixie had $6 hams with the purchase of $30 groceries yesterday but I couldn't find more than $10 I could use.....did most of my shopping earlier. Guess if I want a ham I'll have to wait and pick up a smaller one for more $$....

115 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 am

NormM

avatar
Good memories Beth. It reminded me of the time after Easter when I decided to make a ham sandwich with leftover Povitica bread.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

116 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
The Povitica Bread needs nothing more than a slather of butter, if that.

Please tell me you didn't put mustard on it.......


LOL

117 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
sUPPER tonight will be stuffed sea shells.... frozen ones from SAMs club....
Shrimp peel and eat...
Tina was wishing for them.

118 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

NormM

avatar
No mustard. If I remember correctly, I used some mayo.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

119 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Jimmy....you're making me think of the meal of 7 fishes.....

Sounds like the appetites are returning, bit by bit.

*************

I was thinking a piece of ham steak sounded good for tonight, but I had to make a quick run to WalMart (forgot the T-paper, wouldn't you know?) and as I walked in the store by the deli I could smell the rotiserie chickens. No ham for supper. Chicken would do just fine.

It amazes me how well done and tender they are. But we do remove the skin because it's really salty and whatever else they put on it makes it look black. But it's always well, WELL done and quite tasty. What the heck, $5 for a little roasted chicken that's enough for a hot meal and then a couple lunches isn't bad at all.

I had a micro-baked sweet potato & some boiled mixed vegetables along side ~ OH, and we had the Jello cabbage salad. Man, it's SO good. But it's not something I ever spring on 'strangers' anymore. I grew up eating it at every holiday meal and my girls and Dane love it as much as I do. But people who did NOT grow up with it just kind of stare at it and wonder why in the world anyone would ever put cabbage slaw in jello.

To each his own.....

LOL

120 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
The stuffed shells were heavy and gluey.... Animal food ...
Shrimps peel & eat...good.
Three bowls of baby spinach with dressing was good.
Pumpkin pies 5 of them are ready to cool and eat, and one pecan pie Tina burned it because of talking on the phone hahahahaga!!

121 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Dane was in the garage refrigerator and said we had a squash that was looking pretty sick.....the last (that I didn't see) butternut was starting to get spots of color.....REALLLY needed to be baked.

So, tonight was scooped out baked squash (avoiding anything that looked even a bit 'off'), a ham slice, green beans and the last of the jello cabbage salad.

I'm exhausted and ready to just park myself in the chair in front of the TV with my feet elevated, in hopes the ache will go away before bed ~ maybe I will go take some Advil, just in case.

122 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Turkey Eve dinner.... we got to sample manicotti.


123 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
"HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2017"

It's boring waiting for my diner food!



124 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 am

NormM

avatar
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

125 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Happy, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I hope everyone has a wonderful meal and wonderful family and friends to share it with!

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum