Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1 November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup is on the menu.
Tina made a nice soup with skinless, and boneless chicken thighs yesterday.
All that has to be cooked, are the noodles.

2 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 am

Niagara Visitor

I saw something on FB the other day that I am going to try to replicate today. A stuffed meatloaf roll, Sautee some onion and pepper for stuffing. Make your meat loaf mixture as usual. Line a cookie sheet with foil, spread the meat mixture into the whole of the cookie sheet. Then spread the onion/pepper mixture (Or other vegetable) onto the meat. Then add a layer of cheese.

Now, starting at the narrower end of the mixture, using the foil to help you roll, roll mixture into a log. On another sheet, again lined with foil, lay strips of bacon lengthwise, unwrap the original log, place it on the bacon strips, and again using the foil, roll everything into a log. Keep enough of foil around the log, so that it can be baked in it, remove the foil on top of the loaf about halfway through the baking time so that the bacon gets crisp. When the loaf is sliced, the strips of bacon are a nice guide as to how to slice. At least, that's how it looked on FB.

Wish me luck. My son and daughter-in-law love meatloaf, this is for them.

3 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I saw something on FB the other day that I am going to try to replicate today.  A stuffed meatloaf roll,  Sautee some onion and pepper for stuffing.  Make your meat loaf mixture as usual.  Line a cookie sheet with foil, spread the meat mixture into the whole of the cookie sheet.  Then spread the onion/pepper mixture (Or other vegetable) onto the meat. Then add a layer of cheese.

Now, starting at the narrower end of the mixture, using the foil to help you roll, roll mixture into a log.  On another sheet, again lined with foil, lay strips of bacon lengthwise, unwrap the original log, place it on the bacon strips, and again using the foil, roll everything into a log.  Keep enough of foil around the log, so that it can be baked in it, remove the foil on top of the loaf about halfway through the baking time so that the bacon gets crisp.  When the loaf is sliced, the strips of bacon are a nice guide as to how to slice.  At least, that's how it looked on FB.    

Wish me luck.  My son and daughter-in-law love meatloaf, this is for them.  
Sounds delicious. The cheese really is the key. IMO

4 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Light supper today. Peanut butter crackers, and butter pressed cookies DD
made. And again... Tea!

5 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:33 am

Niagara Visitor

I made the loaf, it was tricky to roll, but delicious. It ended up being very large, so when it was rolled, I cut off about 4 inches for myself and baked it. YUM!

6 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was doing errands today, and stopped for a six pack of White Castle Sliders.
They were good going down...... but now, they are ( burping ) coming up!

7 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

Stir fry of shrimp, onions, mushrooms, green beans and an amazing jar of a green olive and plum Spanish cooking sauce I found while re-organizing my pantry this week. I am a sucker for buying special sauces, chutneys etc. when I go to country fairs or special shops. I had about a dozen sauces that I bought and never tried. Gotta use them up before they go bad!

8 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 pm

NormM

We had Kalbi for dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Niagara Visitor

Nobody cooking tonight? I'm not..................... just gonna have cheese and crackers and other "stuff".

10 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:13 pm

NormM

I just had a hamburger that had been in the freezer too long. I should throw the rest of them away.

11 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm

bethk

Admin
Hey, hey, HEY! I told you I'd return!

We had an absolutely lovely time in Myrtle Beach. The guys went out golfing for a few days and Lyn and I had great fun shopping. There are some specialty shops that were lots of fun ~ browsed through an 'Olive Shop' that had everything and every kind of olive you could imagine. I got a jar of almond stuffed 'spicy' olives that looked really interesting. Also picked up a jar of olive tapanade to have with crackers and such on evenings I don't feel like cooking a meal.

We had our fill of fresh seafood, went to some very nice restaurants and one that was 'sub par'....but when the manager saw we were displeased with our lunch he saw to it we didn't have to pay for a thing and then gave us a $30 gift certificate (which we didn't use....) to apologize for what we were served. It's pretty hard to mess up crab cakes and a turkey burger but whoever was manning the grill managed to do a pretty poor job. Our waitress apologized and, we're sure, she was the reason for the manager's visit (she did exactly right). We didn't ask for our lunch to be comped but it was his idea entirely. We ended up leaving the sweet girl a nice tip because it wasn't her fault for any of our displeasure.

Tonight I'm making the chicken enchilada casserole. I had a grilled chicken breast from a whole grilled chicken in the freezer and got it out to shred for the casserole.

I'm getting hungry for meatloaf (and Lore, yours sounds wonderful!). Tomorrow is $2.99/lb ground chuck day at Fresh Market. I think I'll pick some up and make meatloaf and a couple to put into the freezer.

Jimmy, it's hard to believe Liam is a year old already! What a cutie pie he was in his costume.

12 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm

bethk

Admin
The chicken enchiladas were a hit....easy, easy recipe with shredded chicken, green chiles and sour cream wrapped in flour tortillas, not a speck of cheese I might add....then topped with green enchilada sauce and baked until bubbly. At the table toppings of green onions, avocado, tomatoes, black olives and a crema (sour cream mixed with green salsa).

It's one of those casseroles that you can fix and have supper on the table without a problem.

13 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am

bethk

Admin
Hey, everyone......I just got a note from Cyn (Cookingirl) that she got a call from Ms. Tina. Jimmy is in the hospital. Cyn says, "Jimmy has been in the hospital with Chest Pain. He had 2 stents inserted. He should be coming home tomorrow."

Prayers for Jimmy, Tina and the family at this stressful time. We'll cheer his return in a few days.

14 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:09 pm

NormM

Wishing Jimmy all the best.

15 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 pm

bethk

Admin
I'm a happy camper tonight....

MEATLOAF for supper !!! The meatloaf I've been hungry for long before Lore described her's.

And it was delicious. Even Mr. Amazing was smiling when he saw me take it out of the oven.

I had it with fresh cooked beets and some warmed Bob Evans' packaged mashed potatoes.

16 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I made the loaf, it was tricky to roll, but delicious.  It ended up being very large, so when it was rolled, I cut off about 4 inches for myself and baked it.  YUM!

I'll bet it was big! Glad it worked out for you, Lore.

17 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We had Kalbi for dinner tonight.

Boy, you're giving that new stove a workout, Norm! Looks delicious.

18 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The chicken enchiladas were a hit....easy, easy recipe with shredded chicken, green chiles and sour cream wrapped in flour tortillas, not a speck of cheese I might add....then topped with green enchilada sauce and baked until bubbly.  At the table toppings of green onions, avocado, tomatoes, black olives and a crema (sour cream mixed with green salsa).  

It's one of those casseroles that you can fix and have supper on the table without a problem.

Yummy.  Even better with cheese.  And some chopped cilantro on top!!!

Just teasing you, Beth!  Glad you're back and had a good time on your vacation to Myrtle Beach.  How sweet of the manager to comp your meal at that one place. And good for you two dames for giving the waitress a nice tip -- it's neat someone profited from the disappointing meal!  

We're due for some cold weather here Thursday, Beth (thank God)!  It makes me wonder if you guys are expecting a cold front as well. I'm up for some free weather, too (no A/C and no heat)!! Plus some cold weather is so nice for a change. I've got a lunch date with a good friend on Thursday and am having fun just planning what I'm going to wear -- it's like having a new wardrobe again!

Dinner tonight is leftovers from last night: Smoked eye of round sliced thinly in au jus, macaroni and cheese (well, penne and cheese), and sautéed cherry tomatoes!

Chocolate pudding (Brian is still on his pudding kick) for dessert.

19 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Hey, everyone......I just got a note from Cyn (Cookingirl) that she got a call from Ms. Tina.  Jimmy is in the hospital.  Cyn says, "Jimmy has been in the hospital with Chest Pain. He had 2 stents inserted. He should be coming home tomorrow."  

Prayers for Jimmy, Tina and the family at this stressful time.  We'll cheer his return in a few days.

Oh my goodness -- just saw this! I'll be praying for Jimmy AND Tina. Lord knows she must be sick with worry.

Thanks for letting us know, Beth and Cyn!

20 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm

cookingirl

Tina said she has been sleeping at the hospital. Last night was the first night she came home to sleep. Jimmy is doing good. I have not spoken to him.

Tina said he lost 20 pounds in fluid retention.

I remember him saying last week, that he was not feeling well, and not eating much. He has been sitting on this for a several days, before he decided to call for help.. not a heart attack, but Chest pain..

Beth, Niagra, Meatloaf sounds so good. I have not made it in years.. I am looking for [i]soft[i]        things...as I had a ton of dental surgery last week, and still have lots of stitches.

This is going to be a continuing circumstance. I had 2 molars extracted, 2 bone grafts a covering membrane and work on the lower central teeth. I am going to try an implant where the molars were.

I have really bad teeth~~ combo of bad dentistry and genetics. I had a ton of work done 30 years ago; basically reconstructed all my teeth. Now it is breaking down.

I have been living on soft things; ice cream, pastina, mashed potatoes, baked potato, soup, tons of yogurt.

Tonight I had a boneless, skinless chicken breast which I cooked for a long time in tomato sauce.

Stitches will be out on Monday. I am thinking a small meatloaf, later next week... that is IF I can
get the correct proportions... egg, bread crumbs, etc.. need it to be moist.

Before the surgery, I loaded up on steak, pork chops, pizza, peanut M&M's....

If/when I hear from Jimmy, I will let you know.. but I think he will respond himself to this forum.

21 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 pm

NormM

Thanks Michelle. My stove got a rest tonight. I made a pork roast in the electric steam oven tonight.

22 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Jimmy's Back home! Thank you everyone for your well wishes and concerns.
I have been feeling generally tired and not myself for a few months now.
I have been putting it aside, and fighting it off with otc pills and stuff.
Just had about enough of the feeling rotten, and then B A M !!!!!.... Chest Pain like you could never imagine.
I woke Tina up 1 am friday, and asked her to call the police to give us a ride up to the hospital to get checked out. Wound up going to a hospital 35 minutes East where my Dr does not even work in their system. They stabilized me and found blockages in two arteries for the heart.
2 more besides the two I had fixed in 2002. Then they shipped me to another hospital in Morris-town, NJ. That is where my cardiologist team works. Sunday at 2pm i was readied for surgery Monday 7:30 am. Two more stents, and it was all over.
Tina was my guardian angel and advocate. She really helped me out. The kids Maria Jimmy jr.
and Sherrie were all helpful.
Now I'm at at ease, and resting. It will be a week or so before I get back into the swing of things!

23 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Tina said she has been sleeping at the hospital. Last night was the first night she came home to sleep. Jimmy is doing good. I have not spoken to him.

Tina said he lost 20 pounds in fluid retention.

I remember him saying last week, that he was not feeling well, and not eating much. He has been sitting on this for a several days, before he decided to call for help.. not a heart attack, but Chest pain..

Beth, Niagra, Meatloaf sounds so good. I have not made it in years.. I am looking for [i]soft[i]        things...as I had a ton of dental surgery last week, and still have lots of stitches.

This is going to be a continuing circumstance. I had 2 molars extracted, 2 bone grafts a covering membrane and work on the lower central teeth. I am going to try an implant where the molars were.

I have really bad teeth~~ combo of bad dentistry and genetics. I had a ton of work done 30 years ago; basically reconstructed all my teeth. Now it is breaking down.

I have been living on soft things; ice cream, pastina, mashed potatoes, baked potato, soup, tons of yogurt.

Tonight I had a boneless, skinless chicken breast which I cooked for a long time in tomato sauce.

Stitches will be out on Monday. I am thinking a small meatloaf, later next week... that is IF I can
get the correct proportions... egg, bread crumbs, etc.. need it to be moist.

Before the surgery, I loaded up on steak, pork chops, pizza, peanut M&M's....

If/when I hear from Jimmy, I will let you know.. but I think he will respond himself to this forum.

OH Boy!... Thanks Cindy for the call. Poor Tina held up like an angel, but she was really beat after all she had done for me and the situation.

So sorry you have the all at once dental repairs to get done.
It is so disturbing to the whole body! You poor thing.
God bless you, and be careful in all the steps to complete the repairs and surgery!....

I just had two large reconstructed teeth break off. Metal fillings
Magnum I think they called it! / ?

24 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 am

cookingirl

Jimmy, Welcome Back... whew... that was a close call....
hope you did not mind me posting..

Please take care of yourself, doing what the doctors and TINA tell you to do!!!

love,
Cyn

25 Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 am

bethk

Admin
Yea! Glad you're back home, Jimmy. That's pretty scary stuff ~ glad it all came out and you're feeling better. Lay low and don't go doin' anything to upset the apple cart, OK?

And our very best wishes to Tina for all she's been through. She's one tough cookie! I hope she plants herself in her new recliner and doesn't move for a week!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum