Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Microwave was installed today

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:05 pm

NormM

NormM

One of the sites I went to look for it said it was made by Rival.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

27Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I enjoyed seeing all those old can openers. I know we had one of those but it escapes me as to what it looked like and none of those rang a memory bell with me. But seeing those reminded me to mention the can opener I got, a hand-held one, a couple of years ago at the recommendation I got from one of you. Was it you, Jimmy? I got it for when the house had no power (a thing of the past, I'm thankful to say), but I know I needed one to revert to when I couldn't get the electric one to do my bidding!

Recently when I told you I had my toaster on the counter next to my Cuisinart, I realized later that I had forgotten that I had an electric can opener stuck between them, too. The reason I forgot is I hardly ever use the darn thing, as I have trouble getting the can to "attach" to it.  Brian has more trouble than me and always ends up cussing the thing. Before we got THAT one, we had another electric one we often had the same problem with.  In the beginning, it's usually easy and then sure enough, we struggle getting a can to connect to it after a short period of time.  I'd think it was ME except it happens to him, too -- much worse, too.

Ever since I got this one, I almost always use it instead of the electric one and recently thought I should put that one away since we no longer use it. Even if we have a lot of cans, it takes so long to get it to "grip" a can that by then, you'd have rather opened all six cans or whatever with the Kuhn Rikon, as it goes quickly and the handle makes it a breeze to turn even if you have arthritic hands. Not only doesn't it leave a sharp edge because it lifts the top differently, but it has those little white "pincers" on it that you grip the top with to remove.  Brian recently saw me using those pincers and asked me what I was doing so I showed him.  He laughed and said he didn't know it did that.  I laughed and pulled out the "card" the can opener came attached to from the drawer and told him I kept it as in the beginning, I sometimes forgot how to attach the can opener to the can so I kept a cheat sheet! While reading it one day while waiting for something to come to a boil on the stove, I read about those little pincers. Here's my beloved Kuhn Rikon can opener...

Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Kuhn_r10

Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Kuhn_r11

Mine is lime green so it's easy to spot in that drawer full of too many things!

28Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I enjoyed seeing all those old can openers.  I know we had one of those but it escapes me as to what it looked like and none of those rang a memory bell with me.  But seeing those reminded me to mention the can opener I got, a hand-held one, a couple of years ago at the recommendation I got from one of you.  Was it you, Jimmy? I got it for when the house had no power (a thing of the past, I'm thankful to say), but I know I needed one to revert to when I couldn't get the electric one to do my bidding!

Recently when I told you I had my toaster on the counter next to my Cuisinart, I realized later that I had forgotten that I had an electric can opener stuck between them, too. The reason I forgot is I hardly ever use the darn thing, as I have trouble getting the can to "attach" to it.  Brian has more trouble than me and always ends up cussing the thing. Before we got THAT one, we had another electric one we often had the same problem with.  In the beginning, it's usually easy and then sure enough, we struggle getting a can to connect to it after a short period of time.  I'd think it was ME except it happens to him, too -- much worse, too.

Ever since I got this one, I almost always use it instead of the electric one and recently thought I should put that one away since we no longer use it. Even if we have a lot of cans, it takes so long to get it to "grip" a can that by then, you'd have rather opened all six cans or whatever with the Kuhn Rikon, as it goes quickly and the handle makes it a breeze to turn even if you have arthritic hands. Not only doesn't it leave a sharp edge because it lifts the top differently, but it has those little white "pincers" on it that you grip the top with to remove.  Brian recently saw me using those pincers and asked me what I was doing so I showed him.  He laughed and said he didn't know it did that.  I laughed and pulled out the "card" the can opener came attached to from the drawer and told him I kept it as in the beginning, I sometimes forgot how to attach the can opener to the can so I kept a cheat sheet! While reading it one day while waiting for something to come to a boil on the stove, I read about those little pincers. Here's my beloved Kuhn Rikon can opener...

Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Kuhn_r10

Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Kuhn_r11

Mine is lime green so it's easy to spot in that drawer full of too many things!

That one is the exact one we have. It's red, and it works perfectly.
We have an Cuisinart heavy cast iron one that sits in a to give away box we call it. The girls have trouble getting the can hooked on the opener.I picked it and ordered it on line, and it was very expensive. Like 90 some dollars. ( I had no problems with it ) Oh Well! Who the heck am I ??
I'm just the whipping boy I guess!

Like the recliner chair for instance.... I was condemned for sitting in it,
and saying,"Chair's No Good!"....."21 gun salute!".... "Throw it in the River; let the fish sit on it!" What a Face

29Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I thought it was you! I love that can opener and so does Brian.

Laughed about the chair, as you sure turned out to be right. I tend to give my opinion kind of quickly like you do and sometimes people don't like it. When I worked in advertising and had to okay something, say artwork for a client to approve before proceeding to the printer with it, I had to TRAIN myself to learn to say, "Wow, Anne, that looks so good. Thanks so much for a great job." Then wait half a beat before I said, "Can you do something about that dirty fingerprint at the lower right of the piece for me?"

I answered a question about what my "worst work habit" was on the interview for my final job in advertising (God, I hate those types of questions as they're juvenile, ridiculous and make people nervous) by telling the woman I was the type to mention a dirty fingerprint on a completed piece prior to paying someone a compliment on their work. Her response? "Good, as I'm so effing quick to compliment someone that I forget to notice a flaw in a piece even if it's staring me right in the face. The client usually ends up pointing it out to me so I need someone like you desperately." Go figure.

30Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I thought it was you!  I love that can opener and so does Brian.  

Laughed about the chair, as you sure turned out to be right.  I tend to give my opinion kind of quickly like you do and sometimes people don't like it.  When I worked in advertising and had to okay something, say artwork for a client to approve before proceeding to the printer with it, I had to TRAIN myself to learn to say, "Wow, Anne, that looks so good.  Thanks so much for a great job." Then wait half a beat before I said, "Can you do something about that dirty fingerprint at the lower right of the piece for me?"  

I answered a question about what my "worst work habit" was on the interview for my final job in advertising (God, I hate those types of questions as they're juvenile, ridiculous and make people nervous) by telling the woman I was the type to mention a dirty fingerprint on a completed piece prior to paying someone a compliment on their work.  Her response? "Good, as I'm so effing quick to compliment someone that I forget to notice a flaw in a piece even if it's staring me right in the face.  The client usually ends up pointing it out to me so I need someone like you desperately."  Go figure.  

Oh, that is a great story Michelle. Good for you!!

31Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

At it turned out Jimmy, it wasn't so good for me.  I was hired as an Account Executive, got promoted to Account Supervisor and got appointed a Vice President, all within the first year I worked for that woman. She OWNED you when you worked for her.  I had no life, none at all. Brian worked horrible hours as he was boarding ships back then as a Boarding Agent (instead of working regular hours "inside"), and then I went to work for this woman and worked constantly, and traveled, too. Both of us were miserable and I just know we wouldn't have made it if I continued to spend so much time working.

That woman was without a doubt the best (or maybe I should say worst) master manipulator I ever worked for, or ever met for that matter.  I lasted a mere 1-1/2 years before I quit.  I gave notice one morning (after getting home around 2:30 a.m. that morning and having to have a cocktail to relax before I could even DREAM of sleeping). She was so ugly and hateful to me 'cause she was ticked that I was quitting, that I left that same day.   I even managed, very much unlike me as you may guess, not to cry until I was halfway home in the car!  Then I burst into tears. Brian had been elated that morning when I told him I was up vey late and decided that I didn't need to make the nice salary I was more than earning and I was giving notice. Yeah, he worked a lot of hours, too, but truth be told, it's a lot easier for a woman to get another job, even in a completely different field, than it is for a man.  Must be why we only get paid $.75 on the dollar as a man!!!!

Seriously, if we both worked crazy hours, we would've never seen one another. I sat there that early morning drinking my gin gimlet and thinking what it would mean to me if I lost Brian.  I pictured myself old and alone, and just wanting to be 30 years old again, something I couldn't buy from a big salary.  I actually looked down at my clothes and put a price tag on every piece of my clothing, from beautiful silk blouse, designer skirt, designer jacket and the requisite designer shoes, too!  I asked myself if I could make do with a wardrobe costing one-fifth of what that outfit cost.  My answer:  You bet I can -- stuff means nothing to me!  And then I had my answer, that I was going to go in and give notice before I changed my mind. When she got ugly, I just KNEW I was doing the right thing.  She actually said to me, "You're a very angry person, Michelle, aren't you?"  I laughed in her face and said, "No, Lana, I'm not. People tell me all the time how they rarely see me when I'm not smiling or laughing.  If I seem angry to you, you can make book on the fact that it's this blanket-blank job (but I didn't use those words!) that's making me angry. Thanks, as you just made me realize I'm doing the right thing!"

Thanks again for the can opener tip!  It sure opened THAT can of worms, no?!

Shocked  Smile  Very Happy

32Microwave was installed today - Page 2 Empty Re: Microwave was installed today Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:At it turned out Jimmy, it wasn't so good for me.  I was hired as an Account Executive, got promoted to Account Supervisor and got appointed a Vice President, all within the first year I worked for that woman. She OWNED you when you worked for her.  I had no life, none at all. Brian worked horrible hours as he was boarding ships back then as a Boarding Agent (instead of working regular hours "inside"), and then I went to work for this woman and worked constantly, and traveled, too. Both of us were miserable and I just know we wouldn't have made it if I continued to spend so much time working.

That woman was without a doubt the best (or maybe I should say worst) master manipulator I ever worked for, or ever met for that matter.  I lasted a mere 1-1/2 years before I quit.  I gave notice one morning (after getting home around 2:30 a.m. that morning and having to have a cocktail to relax before I could even DREAM of sleeping). She was so ugly and hateful to me 'cause she was ticked that I was quitting, that I left that same day.   I even managed, very much unlike me as you may guess, not to cry until I was halfway home in the car!  Then I burst into tears. Brian had been elated that morning when I told him I was up vey late and decided that I didn't need to make the nice salary I was more than earning and I was giving notice. Yeah, he worked a lot of hours, too, but truth be told, it's a lot easier for a woman to get another job, even in a completely different field, than it is for a man.  Must be why we only get paid $.75 on the dollar as a man!!!!

Seriously, if we both worked crazy hours, we would've never seen one another. I sat there that early morning drinking my gin gimlet and thinking what it would mean to me if I lost Brian.  I pictured myself old and alone, and just wanting to be 30 years old again, something I couldn't buy from a big salary.  I actually looked down at my clothes and put a price tag on every piece of my clothing, from beautiful silk blouse, designer skirt, designer jacket and the requisite designer shoes, too!  I asked myself if I could make do with a wardrobe costing one-fifth of what that outfit cost.  My answer:  You bet I can -- stuff means nothing to me!  And then I had my answer, that I was going to go in and give notice before I changed my mind. When she got ugly, I just KNEW I was doing the right thing.  She actually said to me, "You're a very angry person, Michelle, aren't you?"  I laughed in her face and said, "No, Lana, I'm not. People tell me all the time how they rarely see me when I'm not smiling or laughing.  If I seem angry to you, you can make book on the fact that it's this blanket-blank job (but I didn't use those words!) that's making me angry. Thanks, as you just made me realize I'm doing the right thing!"

Thanks again for the can opener tip!  It sure opened THAT can of worms, no?!

Shocked  Smile  Very Happy
I'm glad you at least gave her a tongue lashing! .....WOW!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum