Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2017.....What's for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

26 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The dough....is rising in the bowl P I Z Z A ..... on the menu tonight.
Cool enough outside, to fire up the ovens inside.
Toppings????  ..... I guess peppers diced for Tina. Onions and Anchovies for me. Pepperoni for Tina.  

Peppers for Tina, Jimmy?  Are you talking green bell peppers or other peppers?  I love 'em all but even green peppers tend to bother the stomach of some people.  Just curious.

Mmm, homemade pizza sounds really good to me right now -- I'm sitting here thinking peppers, onions, pepperoni and even a bit of anchovies.  I love the flavor of anchovies and I'd even eat them on an occasional pizza if they were cut up in small pieces.

I do love the flavor of them and occasionally use both anchovy paste and a "smushed" canned anchovy or two when making certain dishes.  Of course, I don't let Brian see me use 'em!!!  He caught me once years ago using them in something, I think it was my stuffed Anaheim chile peppers -- but I talked some sense into him and told him he loved them and I'd always used anchovy paste when making them.  

I convinced him to eat them anyway, and I became convinced that I needed to be sneakier when using them...
Bell peppers, the green, but she can tolerate them.
Believe it or not, she can eat the sausage, and spicy, as long as it's pork,
but anything beef is a No No!
I didn't use the anchiovies, because it would be too salty, and I would be up all night drinking. .... And like a kid, I would probably piss the bed! No

27 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Niagara Visitor


I have a London Broil in the oven for me. There will be some broccoli to go with it.

28 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I am sitting here; day dreaming. Looking at OCT, 2017 , @ 2017, and dreaming back to 1957.... "1957".... I was 13 years old. And I envision my life and the people around me!
The food was so plentiful and delicious. Mom made sure, even cooking hot dogs for a meal, there was always something special about that meal. She knew how to Dr. things up.

Anyway.... To the near present, I had a Kansas City Strip Steak, marinated in Teriyaki
and garlic seasoning, then grilled. Italian bread and butter just to soak up the juices.

I took a rest in the recliner, ( Like a Piggy ), and now I'm scrounging around for a snack.
A slice of leftover pizza sounds inviting.

29 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Tina made beef soup; with little tiny beef meatballs. I tried a 1/2 cup, but couldn't eat it.
She put Melon Seed Pasta ( Orzo ), and I cannot eat that without it getting stuck in my nasal passage .
Some people have that problem, and I guess I am one of them.
Same goes for pastina, or those tiny stars or alphabet pasta.

I found some fried shrimp, and empanadas DD made. I'm gonna have something else soon.
Maybe an English muffin with butter, and peach preserves.

30 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Dane & I made it to Ohio....stopped for the night in Sweetwater, TN. because I refuse to drive straight through.

We went to the grocery store when we got here to get stuff for supper, as per Jake's request....He wanted Grandma to cook for him! I picked up a nice beef chuck roast to cut up to make beef and noodles. I picked up the Instant Pot for a wedding present for Robin & Ben (Thank Goodness Ben likes to cook!) and when Jake saw it (I did not wrap it....I would have had to buy wrapping paper and I'm too cheap....) Jake said HE knew how to use it as his dad has one. So, since his mom & Ben were at work we decided to make supper WITH their wedding present! Tacky, huh? Too bad, she's MY daughter and if it was going to be used she had to know what the cooking results would be or she'd never get around to trying it out. Jake did a good job, knew how to set the thing and the beef came out super tender....falling apart tender. I didn't try cooking the homemade noodles in the machine and just transferred it to a stock pot to add more stock and cook the noodles. It's nice to have all the fresh eggs you could want to make noodles ~ remember? They raise chickens! There's 8 dozen eggs in the refrigerator!

When Robin & Ben got here we were just opening the Instant Pot and she looked at it and asked, "What's THAT?" I told her it was their wedding present ~ an electric pressure cooker. Then Ben tasted the beef and just smiled....he was happy! Jake loved how tender the beef got, just the way he likes it. So, supper was beef and homemade noodles spooned over Bob Evans' mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Jake had thirds....Ben & Dane had seconds.

Since they all liked the meal I warned Robin & Ben that if either of them chicken out and don't go through with the wedding ceremony Friday evening that the Instant Pot would return to Florida with us.....LOL (I don't think there's a chance of that happening.)

I have a feeling Jake is going to be the one to do weeknight cooking. It's good to know he is interested in using the Instant Pot and is old enough to read and follow directions. And he knows Grandma's only a phone call away!

31 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Tonight we're going to try a whole chicken in the Instant Pot....if it's a 'fail' there are restaurants close by ~ LOL

Andrea is on her way here from Indy and should arrive shortly. She's bringing all the golf umbrellas she had in the garage as well as the 'pop up' canopy they use at Tori's soccer games. Short of a torrential downpour the small guest group should stay dry during the out door wedding at 5:00. I'm just glad I wear the same size shoes as both my girls. I can steal Robin's rain boots to wear with my 'mother-of-the-bride' dress! I'll be sure to take pics to share.....LOL

This is a VERY small, 'do-it-yourself' wedding with Robin & Ben making the plans and organizing. I did insist Robin help me with a 'time line' to write down so we would have all our bases covered. We have lunch items prepped for tomorrow so everyone can eat something when they have time and no one gets 'cranky' from lack of nourishment ~ something that happens to 90% if those who will be here! We have lots of protein items, vegetables, fruit, etc.....I don't think we've forgotten anything.

32 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
The whole chicken cooked in the Instant Pot was cooked in about 35 minutes....but we all agreed it was a 'fail' due to the texture of the meat. It was almost 'spongy'....not a nice mouth feel at all. I ended up putting the sliced pieces under the broiler to dry it out a bit and firming up the meat. Thank goodness I made a sauce from the drippings....but don't even ask about the skin ~ YUCK!

It got eaten, however, and it did taste like chicken. But it won't be one to be repeated.

33 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:The whole chicken cooked in the Instant Pot was cooked in about 35 minutes....but we all agreed it was a 'fail' due to the texture of the meat.  It was almost 'spongy'....not a nice mouth feel at all.  I ended up putting the sliced pieces under the broiler to dry it out a bit and firming up the meat.  Thank goodness I made a sauce from the drippings....but don't even ask about the skin ~ YUCK!

It got eaten, however, and it did taste like chicken.  But it won't be one to be repeated.

And, do you feel the ground shaking??... That's Jimmy running far far away from the "Funny Pot?" And the Chicken skin!"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5bXbJitRZg

34 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Weird day today! .... Tina's uncle Elmer drove up here and was here at 8:45.
Tina ( the transportation lady ) took him to see his wives nephew in Jessup, PA.
They got there at 10:15. Had the visit and Breakfast at the daughters restaurant.
They were back here at 1:30. He visited but wanted to get home, so he left at 3:00.
I had two grilled hot dogs for supper. Took a nap at 4:30 for an hour. And now at 11:00 I made a batch of fried meatballs to eat as a snack. Tina made Biscotti, and I had that too!




35 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:05 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Break time before the 5:00 wedding in the park.....it poured this morning but the rain has stopped now and it's just overcast, about 73 degrees. Robin's getting her hair done and Ben's at the park decorating the gazebo where they will have the outside ceremony. We have back-up umbrellas and a rain coat to share if necessary.

This morning Robin, Andrea & I made 3 boutineers and 3 bouquets....Just the bride, groom & their 3 children get flowers. I was sweatin' it for fear we'd screw it up but Robin was pleased with how they all came out. Then Andrea & I had to go to the bakery to pick up their 2-tier wedding cake and take it to the restaurant where the wedding feast will be ~ I just prayed it would get there without any incidence or a thumb in the side of it. But, mission accomplished without a problem.

Now it's just 1 hour till we leave to go to the park. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

36 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 pm

NormM

avatar
I made bread and chicken wings in my new oven today.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

37 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Wings and bread loaves look awesome.
I have those baking loaf pans, and never used them.

38 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Break time before the 5:00 wedding in the park.....it poured this morning but the rain has stopped now and it's just overcast, about 73 degrees.  Robin's getting her hair done and Ben's at the park decorating the gazebo where they will have the outside ceremony.  We have back-up umbrellas and a rain coat to share if necessary.  

This morning Robin, Andrea & I made 3 boutineers and 3 bouquets....Just the bride, groom & their 3 children get flowers.  I was sweatin' it for fear we'd screw it up but Robin was pleased with how they all came out.  Then Andrea & I had to go to the bakery to pick up their 2-tier wedding cake and take it to the restaurant where the wedding feast will be ~ I just prayed it would get there without any incidence or a thumb in the side of it.  But, mission accomplished without a problem.

Now it's just 1 hour till we leave to go to the park.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

I'll bet by now, it all went great, and Beth, you are probably into your third Bloody Mary by now. Haaaaa
God bless to Ben, and Robin and the whole family and friends...

39 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper and all the daily meals were Zilch today!
We both suffered with Topsy Turvy stomachs today. Tina said, it was probably the late night snack of meatballs.
Tina made banana crepes tonight. I'm hungry for a steak sandwich. Steak-Ums actually.

40 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 pm

NormM

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Wings and bread loaves look awesome.
I have those baking loaf pans, and never used them.

That is the kind of bread i make so often I don't have to look at a recipe anymore. I use them all the time.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

41 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Wings and bread loaves look awesome.
I have those baking loaf pans, and never used them.

That is the kind of bread i make so often I don't have to look at a recipe anymore. I use them all the time.

Haaaaa! Like me last night. I made the fried meat balls with no recipe. But guess what? .... I forgot the oregano seasoning.
I just sprinkled the meat balls with the oregano as they came out of the frying pan.

42 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I am watching the weather channel, and there is a storm that may hit New Orleans saturday night. ( Nate is the name )
Crybaby.... are you prepping for this?? Please keep us posted...

43 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:10 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Since I cannot post pics here, please check my Facebook post for pics of the wedding....

Tonight, since Robin & Ben are on their short 'honeymoon' trip to Southern Ohio, Jake had a friend come to hang with. We reheated leftovers from the wedding supper ~ Prime Rib, Fried Lake Erie Perch, Twice Baked Potatoes and dinner rolls. It was a 'reheated feast'! I sliced and wrapped the wedding cake for them to enjoy later. We got most of the pre-wedding lunch stuff finished up earlier today. Just about everything is back to normal here at the house.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to go to brunch with friends tomorrow before we leave on Monday morning.

44 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Since I cannot post pics here, please check my Facebook post for pics of the wedding....

Tonight, since Robin & Ben are on their short 'honeymoon' trip to Southern Ohio, Jake had a friend come to hang with.  We reheated leftovers from the wedding supper ~ Prime Rib, Fried Lake Erie Perch, Twice Baked Potatoes and dinner rolls.  It was a 'reheated feast'!  I sliced and wrapped the wedding cake for them to enjoy later.  We got most of the pre-wedding lunch stuff finished up earlier today.  Just about everything is back to normal here at the house.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to go to brunch with friends tomorrow before we leave on Monday morning.

Gee Whizzers, You're making me full just thinking of all the great leftovers you heated up.
I'll bet you had a great time, and now to unwind.
Take it slow on the return trip back. You may hit some tail end of the storm heading up north.

45 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper was a sub sandwich, a fresh blueberry pie, and Tina made banana crepes.
I'm thinking of what to have tomorrow.

46 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Why is my Wife so nice to me, I ask?? ........
I can't figure it out....but I think I know what it is!
She made BBQ ribs from Jack Danial's frozen and in the toaster oven till done.
Then.....She made a small lasagna, and even with my tsk tsk tsk....as she put it together, and asking her if she salted the cheese, she was so nice, and didn't blow up from my questions.

AND NOW..... I KNOW WHY SHE IS SOOoooooo NICE!

She is going Christmas shopping with my cousin in PA tomorrow. And ...the holiday savings club at the bank, released the $$$$$$$$$$$ MUNEEEE!!!!...... santa
See how money works??

47 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Aw, Jimmy, yer just blown' smoke......We know you'd give her the shirt off your back (IF it needed to be washed......)

LOL

**********

Robin & Ben got back from their mini-honeymoon and texted to have us meet them at a restaurant down the road. We just had snacky stuff because we had gone out for brunch with friends and none of us were really hungry for a meal.

Hopefully Dane & I will hit the road early tomorrow and we'll be home at a decent time on Tuesday. It's been a great weekend and a wonderful wedding celebration but we both want to get back to our own house and our own bed!

48 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Aw, Jimmy, yer just blown' smoke......We know you'd give her the shirt off your back (IF it needed to be washed......)

LOL

**********

Robin & Ben got back from their mini-honeymoon and texted to have us meet them at a restaurant down the road.  We just had snacky stuff because we had gone out for brunch with friends and none of us were really hungry for a meal.

Hopefully Dane & I will hit the road early tomorrow and we'll be home at a decent time on Tuesday.  It's been a great weekend and a wonderful wedding celebration but we both want to get back to our own house and our own bed!
Sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweYu0v9_ks

49 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:41 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Yup....There's no place like home.....

50 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper is undecided right now! Question
I asked to have Tuna Salad on rolls! ...
The man from the furniture store came this afternoon to check the recliner.
It was a show and tell, and he said, Oh yeah! Only if you move your head.
I was like, so why would you recline, and not god forbid move your head, or the chair will push you upright.
I told him to sit in the one at the store.

He called and said he tried the one at the store, and it was a little tighter. I called Tina who was at cvs, and told her to try the one in the store. She said it too was not right either.....

They agreed to take the chair back, and swap it with an electric adjustable, and only $200.00 more. The best part is, they are delivering the new chair tomorrow.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum