Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2017.....What's for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

201 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 pm

NormM

avatar
Thanks Michelle

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

202 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
YUM, Norm! Last time I made tacos it was an idea that just hit me in the head and then I had to go get a couple ingredients because nothing else would do for supper.

Oh, and Michelle, the squeeze container of Daisy sour cream is fabulous! You can squiggle it on in one direction, then stripe it over the top and finally make like a Dairy Queen 'blob' in the middle.

In answer to your comment ~ NO, it doesn't really get you to use less........




Hahahahahahaha!

203 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Crybaby

avatar
I'd seen them advertise but haven't seen them in the store. And I'm surprised my personal shopper hasn't come home with one yet.

If my father was alive, we'd have had one on the first day it appeared! He bought ANYTHING that came in a unique container, even if we didn't like the product. If the container was cute (like a little bear holding honey or cinnamon sugar that you could make yourself for a pittance) he would buy TWO! After he died, I had to laugh at all the stuff my mom dug out of the cabinets, and she had tons of cabinets but some of them were darn near empty after she removed all the unnecessary stuff!

Sorry to hear I won't be using less.... Very Happy

204 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 pm

NormM

avatar
I just bought some hot chocolate mix because it was packaged in a glass half pint sized milk bottle.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

205 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:I just bought some hot chocolate mix because it was packaged in a glass half pint sized milk bottle.

I drink my chocolate yoo hoo in my Roy Rogers Face Cup! LOL from the 1050's.

206 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
NormM wrote:I just bought some hot chocolate mix because it was packaged in a glass half pint sized milk bottle.

And that's reason enough, Norm!




When I was growing up our 'juice glasses' all previously held grape jelly. LOL

207 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Norm, you cracked me up and made me smile thinking my dad would've bought one of those little milk bottles, too -- well, TWO of them if he was true to form.

And Beth, most of our drinking glasses came from gas station giveaways in the late '60s and early '70s. I remember my father would occasionally hand me his gas credit card occasionally and ask me to go fill up his car with gas. Of course, we'd do anything to drive back at that age so I'd happily do it. He'd always remind me to make sure I didn't forget to get the free glass. Eventually I realized he did that whenever I had shorts on; I have long legs but my shorts were quite decent as I never showed too much of anything but like all young girls back then, my skirts were very very short though my mom always told me I was a good stooper, as you couldn't bend over in them but had to just stoop down instead! Bending over showed wayyy too much.

One day as I was getting ready to go fill up his car, I heard my mom who was a couple of rooms away say something like, "Bob, you ought to be ashamed of yourself." That's when I clicked, and then I heard him say, "Oh Mary, the kid's got great legs and let's face it, she gets four of the damn glasses and I have to remind that pimple-faced kid to even give me one!" I laughed out loud and went in there and busted him. My mom told me I didn't have to do it and I told her the pleasure was mine but I hoped someone other than the "pimple-faced kid" was on gas duty that day as that's the reason I was going (it was all full serve back then, remember?) and they both laughed! He was indeed a character...

208 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I drink my chocolate yoo hoo in my Roy Rogers Face Cup! LOL from the 1050's.


Jimmy, you could probably get a pretty penny for Roy as the cup is in great shape.  I can tell you hand wash ol' Roy.  I used to make sure I was up every Saturday and planted in front of the TV at 7 a.m. when I was in grammar school as that's when the Roy Rogers Show came on!  Loved it. Afterward I watched Sky King and then re-runs of Ramar of the Jungle! A few years later, those were followed by the "good" Tarzan movies (the ones with Johnny Weismuller)!  My mom never let me watch more than a couple of hours but she, too, liked Ramar so she often came in the "TV room" (you NEVER had one in the living room back then!) to shoo me outside and ended up sitting down to watch Ramar of the Jungle with me.  The things you remember sometimes....

209 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I drink my chocolate yoo hoo in my Roy Rogers Face Cup! LOL from the 1050's.


Jimmy, you could probably get a pretty penny for Roy as the cup is in great shape.  I can tell you hand wash ol' Roy.  I used to make sure I was up every Saturday and planted in front of the TV at 7 a.m. when I was in grammar school as that's when the Roy Rogers Show came on!  Loved it. Afterward I watched Sky King and then re-runs of Ramar of the Jungle! A few years later, those were followed by the "good" Tarzan movies (the ones with Johnny Weismuller)!  My mom never let me watch more than a couple of hours but she, too, liked Ramar so she often came in the "TV room" (you NEVER had one in the living room back then!) to shoo me outside and ended up sitting down to watch Ramar of the Jungle with me.  The things you remember sometimes....


That was a pic from ebay on the internet. Mine is yellowed,
and Mom glued the seam with La-pages glue.
I checked, and it's worth like 5 bucks in fair condition.

We had a TV Room also. It was the more modern room; with an orange,
a black, and a white faux leather chairs. The metal TV snack rays were against the iron steam radiator.
Mom would be the one to sit in her white recliner. We could sit in it, only if she wasn't watching tv.
Now! The room next to that, was the "Parlor". That is where you sat only if you had your pajama's on, or in your Sunday atire.
You did NOT eat in there, unless company came over to visit.

210 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:44 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I was out and about most of the day....Lyn had some errands to run and didn't want to go alone. So, since she wanted to pick something up at Belk's Department Store, we went SHOPPING!

Now, I've mentioned before that I really don't like shopping, especially for clothes for me. I don't like picking them out, I don't like trying them on and I especially hate the THREE SIDED MIRRORS!

But, since we'll be going to Myrtle Beach next week and it's suppose to be in the 40's to 60's.....well, my sun dresses and sleeveless tops just won't be enough. So I had to try on some long slacks ~ Did I mention how much I hate trying on clothes????

I did find a couple pair that actually fit and didn't have all elastic waists. That's reason enough for me to buy! And I found a top to go with another pair of slacks I have that I don't wear because nothing goes with grey & white polka dots in my closet. Yup, fat woman in polka dots! It's kind of a memorable look and I love 'em! Hahahahaha

When I got home it was almost 4:00 and I didn't have a clue what I was going to do for supper. So, on the spur of the moment I decided on warming the leftover buttercup squash and hot dogs. Why not? He didn't even care that I didn't have any hot dog buns in the freezer and ended up using toasted bread because I DID have some hot dog chili sauce to heat for him. Amazingly, there were no complaints and, actually, it was pretty tasty.

211 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 pm

NormM

avatar
I used the White Lily flour today to make our favorite biscuits recipe from Shirley Corriher. We had them with a steak dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

212 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Looks delicious Norm.

######################################

Tonight I had shepherds pie. Tina was in PA today and she and my cousin put it together
It was good.
Dessert was a few Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Goshes, they are so good. So light, they just melt in the mouth, and Kling onto the ass. F A T


213 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Tina had to go shopping for baby food and milk for the baby, so the big Question of what's for supper, was my suggestion of an Italian sub. 4 kinds of meat and two cheeses.....lettuce onions and tomatoes....
I ate only 1/4 of the half, and it was way overloaded with meat.  Supper finished off with leftover waffles that I made days ago. Tina doesn't like sub sandwiches that much.
She took a photo of my sandwich....  The neighbor next door got the rest of it before the roll turned into a wet sponge. LOL

Supper for tomorrow has been decided on. "Mrs. "T's" frozen pierogies with fried onions and sour cream.



214 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
That's a lotta meata in your sandwich, to be sure! I'm not a huge lunch meat lover, nor do I eat a lot of sandwiches....but that one sure seems to be designed for the hungry hungry hippo type person!

*************

I made a grilled chicken on the grill last night. I really do like to take out the backbone and then grill the whole thing in one piece. It's kind of a 'set-it-and-forget-it' type of meal. I usually try to take out the keel bone and some of the ribs and then I oil & season the underside and place it on a piece of non-stick foil. Oh, and when it's on the foil, that's when the top with the skin gets oiled and seasoned. Then all I have to do is slip it on to the grill and let it cook away. The foil contains the excess oil and melting fat and allows me to remove it easily when the chicken is cooked. I let it cook on the underside first, for a good 45 minutes, before I flip it over and let the skin crisp and that side cook until it's all completely done.

As usual, Dane ate the legs & a thigh and I ate the wings. I've got the entire breast to use for something else. I made baked sweet potatoes and green beans to go with it.

215 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Today was watch the baby day, and we are tired out. Tina is so exhausted.
He is a good little guy, but he now moves around so fast on his knees.
He's getting bigger, and is so heavy to lift now. We have to watch him every second to see that he isn't going to get injured. Wait till he starts walking and running.... ho ho ho ho ho!

Supper was Pronto pizza. Tina picked up a couple slices. Dry....cheese-less. Tomato sauce painted on just to color the crust.

216 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:08 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Last night was a beef stir fry. When I went to the Farmers' Market on Thursday I picked up three little baby bok choy and some bean sprouts. I added half a sliced sweet onion and shredded a carrot. The sauce was a combination of the Korean BBQ bottled stuff from the refrigerator, soy, a bit of brown sugar, sesame oil and chicken stock.

I just made some white rice to go with it.

Since we'll be leaving early Sunday morning the leftovers will be tonight's supper. Then we're off to Myrtle Beach! Hopefully I'll be able to stay in touch while we're gone but, if not, rest assured, I shall return!

217 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I got the refrigerator cleaned out of stuff that will 'go south' when we go north for a week.

Unfortunately, trash day isn't until Tuesday ~ but our nice neighbors said they would toss our bags out to the street on Trash Day if we leave it outside the garage. It's so nice to be able to depend upon the neighbors to take care of stuff.

And today I realized I forgot to cancel our newspaper so another neighbor said he'd toss our paper between the garage door and the screen. I have the phone number in my cell phone so I should be able to call and put it on hold Tuesday....IF I remember to call.

218 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
The kids came over after church. Ham slice ( 2 " inch thick ), and glazed with syrup and brown sugar, went over big. Made rigatoni for Jim jr. He won't eat ham!We had scalloped potatoes, and cauliflower. Oh! And candied sweet potatoes. .....

219 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:39 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
That's a typical 'fall' meal, Jimmy. Mom use to make a thick ham slice with brown sugar and half & half. I think maybe she used some dry mustard on the ham steak....the recipe is really vague in my mind ~ but it came out of the oven soft and tender. We always had scalloped potatoes with it, too.

220 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:04 am

Niagara Visitor


I think my kitchen is calling............"What's wrong, don't you like me any more????" I've been out and eating out way too much lately.  I was away for a few days, hubby's uncle Ernie had his 85th. b-day on Oct. 25.  Has sold his lakefront property in Havelock, Ontario and is moving back down to St. Catharines into a seniors' apartment.  Now I won't have to drive 250 miles any more to make him a rabbit dinner.  It has been a bittersweet time.  He is my mother-in-law's baby brother, the baby in a family of 12, with 4 more surviving siblings.  There are some good genes in that family. My sons, and many of their friends have been going fishing/camping to Uncle Ernie and Aunt Alma's place for 20 years. (She died 6 years ago)

There were almost as many fish frys there as there were on our farm.  The end of an era. Good times, lots and lots of wonderful memories, but it was time.  I'm happy that I will be able to have him for dinner occasionally.  He is moving (The new place is totally set up) into a seniors' residence in a complex built by the German community here, and he knows probably half the residents there from all his years of living in St. Catharines before finding the waterfront property 30 years ago.  

I have been asked several times why I didn't move in there. I feel more Canadian than German, and would not feel comfortable there. Who knows, maybe when I'm 85 I will feel differently.  Got a few years to go before that, though.

A cousin of my hubby's, Ernie's nephew, is still here from Germany, 4 more were here in the last month to help with the organizing, so I am making a meatloaf to have the two here for dinner tomorrow night when he officially moves into his new place.  This is a cooking site, so I thought I'd better throw in some food talk also.  

Onward and upward, right????



Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

221 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:I think my kitchen is calling............"What's wrong, don't you like me any more????" I've been out and eating out way too much lately.  I was away for a few days, hubby's uncle Ernie had his 85th. b-day on Oct. 25.  Has sold his lakefront property in Havelock, Ontario and is moving back down to St. Catharines into a seniors' apartment.  Now I won't have to drive 250 miles any more to make him a rabbit dinner.  It has been a bittersweet time.  He is my mother-in-law's baby brother, the baby in a family of 12, with 4 more surviving siblings.  There are some good genes in that family. My sons, and many of their friends have been going fishing/camping to Uncle Ernie and Aunt Alma's place for 20 years. (She died 6 years ago)

There were almost as many fish frys there as there were on our farm.  The end of an era. Good times, lots and lots of wonderful memories, but it was time.  I'm happy that I will be able to have him for dinner occasionally.  He is moving (The new place is totally set up) into a seniors' residence in a complex built by the German community here, and he knows probably half the residents there from all his years of living in St. Catharines before finding the waterfront property 30 years ago.  

I have been asked several times why I didn't move in there. I feel more Canadian than German, and would not feel comfortable there. Who knows, maybe when I'm 85 I will feel differently.  Got a few years to go before that, though.

A cousin of my hubby's, Ernie's nephew, is still here from Germany, 4 more were here in the last month to help with the organizing, so I am making a meatloaf to have the two here for dinner tomorrow night when he officially moves into his new place.  This is a cooking site, so I thought I'd better throw in some food talk also.  

Onward and upward, right????

What would be the meat used in the meatloaf for Germans?

Probably more pork, huh? ....

222 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Niagara Visitor


UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I think my kitchen is calling............"What's wrong, don't you like me any more????" I've been out and eating out way too much lately.  I was away for a few days, hubby's uncle Ernie had his 85th. b-day on Oct. 25.  Has sold his lakefront property in Havelock, Ontario and is moving back down to St. Catharines into a seniors' apartment.  Now I won't have to drive 250 miles any more to make him a rabbit dinner.  It has been a bittersweet time.  He is my mother-in-law's baby brother, the baby in a family of 12, with 4 more surviving siblings.  There are some good genes in that family. My sons, and many of their friends have been going fishing/camping to Uncle Ernie and Aunt Alma's place for 20 years. (She died 6 years ago)

There were almost as many fish frys there as there were on our farm.  The end of an era. Good times, lots and lots of wonderful memories, but it was time.  I'm happy that I will be able to have him for dinner occasionally.  He is moving (The new place is totally set up) into a seniors' residence in a complex built by the German community here, and he knows probably half the residents there from all his years of living in St. Catharines before finding the waterfront property 30 years ago.  

I have been asked several times why I didn't move in there. I feel more Canadian than German, and would not feel comfortable there. Who knows, maybe when I'm 85 I will feel differently.  Got a few years to go before that, though.

A cousin of my hubby's, Ernie's nephew, is still here from Germany, 4 more were here in the last month to help with the organizing, so I am making a meatloaf to have the two here for dinner tomorrow night when he officially moves into his new place.  This is a cooking site, so I thought I'd better throw in some food talk also.  

Onward and upward, right????

What would be the meat used in the meatloaf for Germans?

Probably more pork, huh? ....

As I posted, I am more Canadian than German, came here when I was almost 11, so my meatloaf is beef. Lean beef was also on sale, so that's what I bought. I never had meatloaf in Germany. It's called false rabbit there, we were definitely not rich enough to be able to make a meatloaf. But, we had rabbit lots of times because dad could raise them, I love rabbit and cook a really, really good bunny!

223 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Dinner was a simple "Poor Italians Garden" Meal.
Had some peppers from the farm market, and so I just fried them cut in lengthwise sizes, and only salted with olive oil for the oil.
A couple on bread; and with a slice of provolone cheese....ummmmm!



224 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I think my kitchen is calling............"What's wrong, don't you like me any more????" I've been out and eating out way too much lately.  I was away for a few days, hubby's uncle Ernie had his 85th. b-day on Oct. 25.  Has sold his lakefront property in Havelock, Ontario and is moving back down to St. Catharines into a seniors' apartment.  Now I won't have to drive 250 miles any more to make him a rabbit dinner.  It has been a bittersweet time.  He is my mother-in-law's baby brother, the baby in a family of 12, with 4 more surviving siblings.  There are some good genes in that family. My sons, and many of their friends have been going fishing/camping to Uncle Ernie and Aunt Alma's place for 20 years. (She died 6 years ago)

There were almost as many fish frys there as there were on our farm.  The end of an era. Good times, lots and lots of wonderful memories, but it was time.  I'm happy that I will be able to have him for dinner occasionally.  He is moving (The new place is totally set up) into a seniors' residence in a complex built by the German community here, and he knows probably half the residents there from all his years of living in St. Catharines before finding the waterfront property 30 years ago.  

I have been asked several times why I didn't move in there. I feel more Canadian than German, and would not feel comfortable there. Who knows, maybe when I'm 85 I will feel differently.  Got a few years to go before that, though.

A cousin of my hubby's, Ernie's nephew, is still here from Germany, 4 more were here in the last month to help with the organizing, so I am making a meatloaf to have the two here for dinner tomorrow night when he officially moves into his new place.  This is a cooking site, so I thought I'd better throw in some food talk also.  

Onward and upward, right????

What would be the meat used in the meatloaf for Germans?

Probably more pork, huh? ....

As I posted, I am more Canadian than German, came here when I was almost 11, so my meatloaf is beef.  Lean beef was also on sale, so that's what I bought.  I never had meatloaf in Germany.  It's called false rabbit there, we were definitely not rich enough to be able to make a meatloaf.  But, we had rabbit lots of times because dad could raise them,  I love rabbit and cook a really, really good bunny!

Haven't had rabbit in years. My grandmother would make rabbit, and it was delicious.

225 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:41 pm

NormM

avatar
We had pork chops, salad, and Red Lobster biscuits. The apple cider came from a farm orchard that had a famous restaurant for 60 years and closed last year. One story about the birth of a wine cooler on the menu came when Bess Truman was served a fruit cocktail and asked for it to be served with a "little authority" and it was.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum