Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2017.....What's for dinner?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1 October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:51 am

bethk

Admin
I want something with chicken.....I've got a lemon that fell off my tree and turned yellow on my windowsill. I'm thinking something lemon, thyme, honey ~ not sure yet.

2 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Not cooking today, but I've done a lot of work this morning.............. Former neighbours are having a pig roast on their farm, and I volunteered to bring devilled eggs.............. I did 5 dozen eggs, there will be 65-70 people.

They have a very large workshop where I expect the party will be. There's a real flushing toilet so that makes the most sense to me. Weather looks perfect, about 16 C, sunny and bright. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends.

3 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Not cooking today, but I've done a lot of work this morning.............. Former neighbours are having a pig roast on their farm, and I volunteered to bring devilled eggs.............. I did 5 dozen eggs, there will be 65-70 people.  

They have a very large workshop where I expect the party will be.  There's a real flushing toilet so that makes the most sense to me.  Weather looks perfect, about 16 C, sunny and bright.  I'm looking forward to seeing old friends.  

Sounds great Lore. Have a good time. Enjoy!

4 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Today will be the steaks on the grill. Tina made sauce and meat balls last night; so
we could have that too!
Today, she made a yellow box cake, with white butter cream icing for dessert!

5 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

bethk

Admin
Lore - sounds like a great time! However, cooking and peeling 5 DOZEN eggs does NOT sound like a lot of fun to me. But I understand.....if you DON'T want to have any leftovers to deal with at a pot luck, take deviled eggs or cupcakes. They always seem to disappear first!

Jimmy, I vote for the steaks ~ the same ones you wanted yesterday when it was too cool & rainy.

I've got a bone-in, skin on chicken breast marinating in the juice of my first Meyer lemon of the season, honey, tarragon, thyme & evoo. I've got some of the marinade reserved to baste on as it gets cooked on the grill.

I also have a big pot of green beans and a couple Yukon gold potatoes that I'm going to start in the microwave and then cut into big slabs to finish on the grill with just some butter and s&p as they crisp up.

I don't want to deal with washing the grill mats so I'm going to wimp out and use non-stick foil for my grilling tonight. I really like my grill mats but there are times when all I want to do is crumple and toss.

6 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I want something with chicken.....I've got a lemon that fell off my tree and turned yellow on my windowsill.  I'm thinking something lemon, thyme, honey ~ not sure yet.

What cut of chicken are you cooking, Beth? Inside or on the grill?

7 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Not cooking today, but I've done a lot of work this morning.............. Former neighbours are having a pig roast on their farm, and I volunteered to bring devilled eggs.............. I did 5 dozen eggs, there will be 65-70 people.  

They have a very large workshop where I expect the party will be.  There's a real flushing toilet so that makes the most sense to me.  Weather looks perfect, about 16 C, sunny and bright.  I'm looking forward to seeing old friends.  

Wow!  Nothing better than a pig roast -- pork at its best!  I'd kill for a 60 degree day, too (had to look that up to convert to F). You're going to have a blast.  Heck, I'd even settle for a deviled egg right now -- Brian doesn't eat boiled eggs.  

Deviled eggs are sort of like finger sandwiches are to me -- I could probably easily eat 3 boiled eggs and maybe 2 sandwiches on sliced bread. Cut the eggs in half and stuff them and I'll bet I could eat a dozen deviled eggs.  And finger sandwiches -- I shudder to think how many of those I've eaten at parties at one time.  But I know it was a lot more than 8 of them, which 2 sandwiches would be cut in quarters.  Whenever I'm presented with finger sandwiches, I always try to find the chicken salad ones, though I'm fine with roast beef, turkey, ham, etc. etc.!

Hope you have a good time, Lore.  cheers drunken sunny

8 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Why is it my house looks better when I'm going to be gone than it does when I'm here????

Maybe I figure if I die on a road trip no one will know what a crappy housekeeper I was............

9 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:I want something with chicken.....I've got a lemon that fell off my tree and turned yellow on my windowsill.  I'm thinking something lemon, thyme, honey ~ not sure yet.

What cut of chicken are you cooking, Beth?  Inside or on the grill?

Beth wrote:I've got a bone-in, skin on chicken breast marinating in the juice of my first Meyer lemon of the season, honey, tarragon, thyme & evoo. I've got some of the marinade reserved to baste on as it gets cooked on the grill.

I also have a big pot of green beans and a couple Yukon gold potatoes that I'm going to start in the microwave and then cut into big slabs to finish on the grill with just some butter and s&p as they crisp up.

I don't want to deal with washing the grill mats so I'm going to wimp out and use non-stick foil for my grilling tonight. I really like my grill mats but there are times when all I want to do is crumple and toss.

Well, I got my question answered quickly about your chicken by just reading along.  Sounds good.  I lost all my lemons earlier this year -- tons of blossoms but they kept falling off.  My small "tree" itself looked sad, too, later on in mid-summer.  We got soooo much rain for three solid months and, of course, not much sun.  I'm sure that had something to do with it so I just left it alone. I always go out there or look out the window and holler at the plants, "Only the strong survive so keep that in mind!" -- particularly when it's hotter than hell and they need watering and I decide to wait another day.  This year I warned them there was nothing I could do about all the rain and to hang in there.  The lemon tree looks "all better" now so I'm going to fertilize it at least once more before it gets cold, which will be a while here.  I hope it does better this coming year.  When I got it in the mail, I took the lazy way out and put it in a very large pot so I wouldn't have to transplant it for a while -- I regretted it later, as it would've done a lot better if I'd chosen something smaller. But hey, when your back hurts like mine, you start cutting corners and I figured I'd let it grow into the pot; even though I knew better, I went ahead and did it anyway.  

Don't blame you for not using those grill mats, Beth.  Foil is a lot easier and requires no washing.   Razz tongue

10 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Why is it my house looks better when I'm going to be gone than it does when I'm here????

Maybe I figure if I die on a road trip no one will know what a crappy housekeeper I was............

If you saw my living room right now, with so much stuff still stuck out there from the half-bath and the kitchen, you'd think we were hoarders. No lie -- we have open "aisles" to walk in and to get to the downstairs central A/C unit.

Al is still working on the bathroom but is currently having big problems with his landlord -- a small wall collapsed in his bedroom the other day and then collapsed more when he pulled his very expensive computer desk away from the wall; turns out the desk had been holding up the wall, and there was a HUGE termite nest and black mold in there -- the bad kind, Stachybotrys (I worked a couple of mold cases when I was a paralegal so I have a small amount of knowledge about mold, and THAT one is the only type that is truly dangerous). It explained how poorly he's been feeling, how much coughing he's doing and some of the skin problems he's had lately. He smelled it the minute he walked into the house and it explained a lot; his dogs were even coughing, first one, then a second, then 3 out of 4. He finally listened to me and called a lawyer, and the day after he told the old lady landlord he's watched over for 13 years, he found an eviction notice on his door (he's a month to month tenant). He's still in the house -- VERY BAD -- but farmed his four dogs out to friends. But of course, his furniture, clothes, everything has to be taken out of the house and cleaned before he can move it anywhere -- that's how serious that mold is. The testers and those who remediate it show up in hazmat suits! It's a big nightmare for him so he took the weekend off.

So we have to wait longer for the bathroom to be completed for the only downstairs commode to be put back in place! We remind one another to use the bathroom before either of us heads downstairs, though we invariably have to make a couple of trips up our killer steep stairs. I feel like a school teacher reminding Brian to pee before he goes downstairs! Embarassed

11 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Crybaby

Dinner last night (and tonight -- yeah, leftovers!) was stuffed bell peppers, macaroni and cheese, and leftover green beans.  Green bell peppers were on sale at 3 for a dollar so that was a no brainer as we always have ground meat frozen in 1 lb. and 1-1/2 lb. packages.  

The best part was before I started cooking, I cleared off the humongous pile of dusty stuff from the dining room table.  Brian shook the thick woven cloth we use as a table cover outside before putting it in the laundry room, as the amount of dust was scary.  It took a while and I was pooped before I even started dinner, but I did most of my peeling and chopping while sitting at the table, covered with a pretty white cloth I rarely use except for holidays. So we were able to sit down at the table to eat our dinner.  I even cracked open a bottle of Prosecco to enjoy while I cooked as we were feeling kind of human again!  

And we're having that same dinner tonight.  Not only will the bell peppers taste even better but I don't have to cook a single thing tonight!  Two days in a row of standing and walking a lot really take their toll on my back so I've been taking it easy today.  We started out our day watching the Saints game, which was taking place in London.  Brian pointed out how strange it was watching the Saints while drinking coffee -- the game started at 8:30 a.m. -- we're usually having beer and cocktails at game time.  At least we won so now we're 2-2 for the season.  Jimmy, your son must be glad, as the team looked a lot better today than they've been looking, though the Miami Dolphins weren't predicted to knock anyone socks off this year or so I read prior to the season starting.  Tell him another Who Dat said to high five him over our win today! cheers cheers cheers

12 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

bethk

Admin
Oh, my, but I feel for you, Michelle.....living in dust and clutter is a worst nightmare for me. When we were remodeling our Ohio house I lived for 3 LONG YEARS with nothing but plywood floors and studs and insulation where the walls were to be.....NEVER AGAIN!

I've lived through a full house remodel and I'd rather kill him than go through it again.......

Which is why we live in a 'only-needs-redecorating' house today.

You've heard of me, The 'Widow Keller', haven't you ???

13 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:08 pm

NormM

I had a steak in the freezer that was too big for one so after I grilled it with some corn, cut it in half and we each had that for supper with some mashed Yukon gold potatoes.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

14 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm

bethk

Admin
On, Norm, I love corn browned on the grill! Nice choice.

Supper was a total success! The chicken breast was completely done (Never Any Pink on MY Chicken) and the bit of skin got black because of the honey in the marinade. It didn't slice well when I was cutting it up so I just left it in one piece when I plated it for the table......and HE thought he was going to take it........No Way, Jose! It was MINE! And, being the polite, delicate little thing I am, I reached right over to his plate with my fork and grabbed it back!

The potatoes were perfect as far as I was concerned....nice and golden brown and with just the right amount of butter & salt flavor. Such an easy way to grill potatoes!

The beans were simply seasoned with butter and Penzey seasoning.....always good and enough leftover to stick in the freezer and have when we get back from Ohio.

15 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm

NormM

Thanks Beth.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

16 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The steak could've been used as a Bullet Proof Vest.
No.....not that bad. I put the steak on the grill, and I got side tracked and it got well well done.
Very tasty....and chewy too! Just needed a little more chewing. And I only bit my tongue 6 times...Tina ate an egg salad on toast. Her jaw is still not ready to eat steak.

17 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm

bethk

Admin
What a horrible 'news' day.....our hearts break and we can wish nothing but to get through the horrible tragedy in Las Vegas. It is beyond my comprehension how something so horrible can happen to people who wanted nothing more than to enjoy a vacation and go to a music concert.

18 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The dough....is rising in the bowl P I Z Z A ..... on the menu tonight.
Cool enough outside, to fire up the ovens inside.
Toppings???? ..... I guess peppers diced for Tina. Onions and Anchovies for me.
Pepperoni for Tina.

19 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:18 pm

bethk

Admin
I did thick bone-in pork chops on the grill with the Hungarian seasoning. I had a package of Brussels sprouts that got done the 'usual' way with bacon & onion and I cut the kernels off some fresh sweet corn as my starch for the meal. I ate so many Brussels sprouts....don't envy anyone sleeping in the same room with me tonight.....((snicker, snicker))

Oh, CRAP ~ HE ate just as many if not more! OH, NOOOOOOOOOO !

20 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:What a horrible 'news' day.....our hearts break and we can wish nothing but to get through the horrible tragedy in Las Vegas.  It is beyond my comprehension how something so horrible can happen to people who wanted nothing more than to enjoy a vacation and go to a music concert.

Truly heartbreaking, Beth, especially when it happens over and over again in this country. It is truly mind boggling what one human being will do to another human being, strangers no less.

21 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The dough....is rising in the bowl P I Z Z A ..... on the menu tonight.
Cool enough outside, to fire up the ovens inside.
Toppings????  ..... I guess peppers diced for Tina. Onions and Anchovies for me. Pepperoni for Tina.  

Peppers for Tina, Jimmy?  Are you talking green bell peppers or other peppers?  I love 'em all but even green peppers tend to bother the stomach of some people.  Just curious.

Mmm, homemade pizza sounds really good to me right now -- I'm sitting here thinking peppers, onions, pepperoni and even a bit of anchovies.  I love the flavor of anchovies and I'd even eat them on an occasional pizza if they were cut up in small pieces.

I do love the flavor of them and occasionally use both anchovy paste and a "smushed" canned anchovy or two when making certain dishes.  Of course, I don't let Brian see me use 'em!!!  He caught me once years ago using them in something, I think it was my stuffed Anaheim chile peppers -- but I talked some sense into him and told him he loved them and I'd always used anchovy paste when making them.  

I convinced him to eat them anyway, and I became convinced that I needed to be sneakier when using them...

22 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Crybaby

I made us each a simple ham, American cheese and leaf lettuce sandwich on white sliced Italian bread with mayo, Dijon mustard and yellow mustard for lunch with a couple of pepperoncini alongside.  We just had coffee this morning while we watched television coverage of the massacre in Vegas -- I was going to go downstairs and make us a couple of English muffins with butter and pepper jelly but it was a very rainy morning and quite dark outside, too.  Perfect morning for sleeping late and Brian fell back asleep and slept for hours.  So I didn't go downstairs until a little after noon when he woke up.  

So now we're both still full and neither of us wants dinner.  But he went downstairs and made brownies so once those cool off, we'll probably snack on brownies instead of having dinner.  

He eats so little lately at one meal that when he only ate half his sandwich this afternoon, I teased him by wondering aloud how he didn't eat much but always had room for a bowl of ice cream the size of Argentina!  Not to mention room for pudding (his latest kick in lieu of making brownies is making pudding) or brownies.  I said I'm going to start treating him like a little kid and saying he couldn't have dessert unless he cleaned his plate.  He said he had full intentions of finishing his sandwich (it was only 3 thin slices of ham, one slice of cheese and some lettuce on sliced bread -- no hoagie in other words) but was just going slow.  I laughed as he did indeed end up finishing it.  And then an hour later, he set off to make brownies!

So brownies for "dinner" I guess it is.  Brian will get what he calls "the munchies" about 10 p.m. I'll bet, as he'll have trouble sleeping after sleeping so long this morning.  Usually his snack of choice when that happens is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  

On another note, tt sure is nice to be retired and not to have to head out to traffic early on a Monday morning when it's pouring rain outside!

23 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Crybaby

Beth, I hope you and Dane have a nice trip back to Ohio for your daughter's wedding.  Hope it's not cold and that it's a lovely day for a wedding!  sunny

Have a good time and be careful on the road!  

24 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The Grand ( IMO ) Finale )

25 Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I did thick bone-in pork chops on the grill with the Hungarian seasoning.  I had a package of Brussels sprouts that got done the 'usual' way with bacon & onion and I cut the kernels off some fresh sweet corn as my starch for the meal.  I ate so many Brussels sprouts....don't envy anyone sleeping in the same room with me tonight.....((snicker, snicker))

Oh, CRAP ~ HE ate just as many if not more!  OH, NOOOOOOOOOO !

affraid OH NO !!..... Its a fart war tonight; that's for sure!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum