Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

76 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 pm

NormM

Here is the pork curry and a Coca Cola cake.  I had problems with the cake.  The batter was too thin and I had to add more flour.  Later I looked up other posting for this recipe and some had a cup of coke and some had 12 ounces.  8 ounces would have been about right.  Also the recipe said to pour the thin frosting over the top of the hot cake. Well it promptly ran off the top and puddled on the bottom.  The picture of the cake is upside down so the frosting will look like it is on top.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

77 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm

bethk

Admin
Lore.....I'm jealous of your fresh Lake Erie fish! I miss that meal a lot after we moved from Ohio. But my favorite was the Lake Erie Perch ~ little and sweet....always a huge treat. Years ago Dane use to go out on the frozen lake and bring home piles of winter perch. The jacks (male) were my favorite. I even helped to clean and then freeze them for special meals.

Norm, your curry looks good. Is it a green curry? I'll have to go snoop on your website and figure it out. The cake, although you SAY it's not a 'best', looks like I'd have no problem eating it. I think I have some vanilla ice cream in the back of the freezer to go with it!

I decided to bake one of the small butternut squash I got at the Asian market last week. I was planning to wait until Dane got home the end of the month but I bought two so he'll never know I baked one and ate half tonight and the other half tomorrow night. I had a couple boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I pan fried in my little cast iron skillet and then brushed with a little of the Korean BBQ sauce just to cut the fatty taste since I wasn't grilling them. I had a few fresh green beans so I spent about 15 minutes slicing into a French cut ~ just for something different.

78 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm

NormM

Beth, I used a curry powder. Today I used the one in the bag but usually use the one in the jar. The cake did turn out tasting good. Charlie said he really likes it and it is perfect with vanilla ice cream.

79 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

I finished my fresh Lake Erie Pikeral along with a huge tomato and onion salad. Tomatoes came from "my garden" I know, lived on a farm for 39 years where we didn't grow vegetables, now that I'm on the 12th floor of condo building in the city, I have a garden. I don't remember whether I posted about this before, but it's at the home of a friend of my son's. Son thought that his mother and his father-in-law needed something to keep them busy. Friend had a large raised bed that wasn't used, so we're gardening. Tomatoes are now doing well, carrots, radishes, peas, beans are a bust. Mesclun mix did well, we've had much more than our money's worth out of one package of seeds. Zuccini and spaghetti squash are great, red cabbage, brussels sprouts, 3 varieties of peppers are doing well. Parsley is going nuts, nasturtiums are great for salads.

We've had so much rain here that some of the seeds rotted in the ground and couldn't sprout. We have all the rain, and our west coast is burning up!

80 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 am

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We have a rice cooker so it is easy to make rice here.

I don't have a rice cooker (though I've come close to buying one online MANY times) but we have a lot of rice. I guess it's a Southern thing and also due to the fact that Brian doesn't like potatoes.

If I buy one more appliance, I have no more room to stash it anywhere. Last week, I finally broke down and bought a crockpot -- a 6-quart one made by Crockpot. We only used it once and I made a whole chicken in it -- Brian loved it but I thought it was kind of boring and I would've preferred the chicken roasted in the oven with crispy skin.

I had one more spot on the rolling stainless steel cart I bought and store in my new "pantry" I made with the stainless steel shelving on wheels a couple of months ago; that spot is now taken up by the crockpot. I think I mentioned Ibought the cart primarily to store the heavy KitchenAid mixer on it rather than the place on my little kitchen "desk," as it was too low to use comfortably. And we sure don't want to be moving that heavy thing around, as I can't even pick it up! Brian smiles every time I go in that closet and pull out the cart to get something off of it to use or to get to the "pantry" shelving. Only a couple of shelves are used for actual food products, as we needed other shelves for garden stuff, tools, and stuff that goes in the garage that most people have! I hung the two heavy LeCreuset pots on the shelving with SS hooks I bought, and they hang just high enough off the front of the shelving to allow the rolling cart to be pushed in the room. The reason he smiles is because both he and Lynn, the lady who cleans for us, thought neither the shelving nor the cart would fit in that closet (the water heater is on the other side of the closet from the shelving). They knew I'd measured before buying the rolling shelves and the rolling cart but it was so tight, they thought I'd made a mistake.

I'm still having a hard time making him USE the shelving though, as every time he pulls something out of there to use, I find it stashed in some other place, or on the floor next to my baker's rack full of cookbooks! I told him to just leave the stuff he removes from there on the island and I will put it away but nope, that makes too much sense. He'd rather stash it someplace so I find it later and nag him about it!!!

81 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:We have a rice cooker so it is easy to make rice here.

I don't have a rice cooker (though I've come close to buying one online MANY times) but we have a lot of rice.  I guess it's a Southern thing and also due to the fact that Brian doesn't like potatoes.  

If I buy one more appliance, I have no more room to stash it anywhere.  Last week, I finally broke down and bought a crockpot -- a 6-quart one made by Crockpot.  We only used it once and I made a whole chicken in it -- Brian loved it but I thought it was kind of boring and I would've preferred the chicken roasted in the oven with crispy skin.  

I had one more spot on the rolling stainless steel cart I bought and store in my new "pantry" I made with the stainless steel shelving on wheels a couple of months ago; that spot is now taken up by the crockpot.  I think I mentioned Ibought the cart primarily to store the heavy KitchenAid mixer on it rather than the place on my little kitchen "desk," as it was too low to use comfortably. And we sure don't want to be moving that heavy thing around, as I can't even pick it up!  Brian smiles every time I go in that closet and pull out the cart to get something off of it to use or to get to the "pantry" shelving.  Only a couple of shelves are used for actual food products, as we needed other shelves for garden stuff, tools, and stuff that goes in the garage that most people have!  I hung the two heavy LeCreuset pots on the shelving with SS hooks I bought, and they hang just high enough off the front of the shelving to allow the rolling cart to be pushed in the room.  The reason he smiles is because both he and Lynn, the lady who cleans for us, thought neither the shelving nor the cart would fit in that closet (the water heater is on the other side of the closet from the shelving).  They knew I'd measured before buying the rolling shelves and the rolling cart but it was so tight, they thought I'd made a mistake.  

I'm still having a hard time making him USE the shelving though, as every time he pulls something out of there to use, I find it stashed in some other place, or on the floor next to my baker's rack full of cookbooks!  I told him to just leave the stuff he removes from there on the island and I will put it away but nope, that makes too much sense.  He'd rather stash it someplace so I find it later and nag him about it!!!  

We found a half @$$ solution to places to store waffle makers; electric fry pans, and the like. We purchased one of those rubbermaid storage chests, and keep it on the back deck / porch.
We had a great storage room in a small bedroom that we call the little green room; because it has always been green.
It had the name of Dead Uncles Gabes room after I removed all the deep hefty door covered shelves when he was going to move in.
Storage was great.

I have my recliner in that room now. No thoughts to re-shelve it.
The storage chests ( we have three now ) serve us well.
The only thing, is when it snows. To get at the stuff, we have to shovel a path. I have no problem doing that.

82 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

http://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t664-greek-style-hamburger-and-hot-dog-chili-sauce#8258

Greek Style hamburger and hot dog chili sauce.

Crybaby... Here is the recipe.

83 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 am

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Thanks. I think we just call them shoulder chops, and the other loin chops.  I have never seen any pork product labelled as "steak", although the Greeks I know call the chops 'steak".  I just call them both delicious!

They call them "pork steaks" down here, too, Lore, and I agree with Beth that they have a lot more flavor than regular pork chops.  Brian LOVES them like Beth does!  I like regular pork chops, too, but have to agree that the steaks beat out the flavor of pork chops.

Here's a picture and you will see the difference between the steaks and the two kinds of chops they sell in most groceries in my locale:

I like stuffed pork chops, too, and do buy the thick center cut rib chops when I make them.  I am very careful as to how I cook them and how long I cook them -- I cut a pocket in them and usually stuff them with something fatty like a sausage stuffing and then either grill them outdoors or use a griddle or grill pan to cook them.  If you cook them too long or at too high a temp, they do come out dry but mine don't turn out that way. I think a lot of people still overcook all pork but the parasite responsible for trichinosis has been almost completely eliminated from modern pork production and has been for years.  I use a thermometer when I make thick stuffed pork chops and never cook them to the recommended doneness.  I cook mine until they reach 135 degrees, whereas 145 is usually recommended.  They're nice and moist at 135 and I never worry about the pork making me sick.  They're still pink at this temp but moist pink and not undercooked looking pink!

Rib chops obviously come from the rib section, have more fat than loin chops and don't contain the tenderloin meat that Beth finds dry and overcooked in the loin chops.  Here's a picture of the pork rib chop:

Here's a picture of the loin chop. Because this cut contains both tenderloin and loin, they can be difficult to cook:

I never make a whole bone-in or boneless center cut pork roast, as I, too, find it an overrated, overpriced cut that usually comes out dry and is pretty tasteless.  I went to a dinner party once where the hostess served a whole center cut rib pork roast.  She's a very good cook and usually serves Italian food when she has guests (her cooking mentor was Italian).  Well, everyone raved over the pork roast at dinner, as did Brian.  I complimented her, of course, but on the way home, I told Brian I was so shocked that everyone liked the pork 'cause I thought it was terrible -- dry as a bone, so dry you could've choked on it.  He confessed that he'd disliked it, too, but he said since he always raved about her Italian food, he figured if he wasn't effusive about the pork roast, she'd know something was up.  I told him he was a very nice man to think of that.  It made me wonder if everyone else really did like that roast.  But the hostess seemed pleased and remarked how much she liked that cut of pork so I think that's the way she always cooks it...

84 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 am

Crybaby

Norm wrote:Charlie and I went to Costco today. We mostly got non food items but I decided to pick up some rib eye steaks for dinner tonight.  They were two inches thick and it was rainy so I did them in a skillet until browned then finished in the oven.

We  buy really thick rib eyes, too, and get them cut at 1-3/4 inches.  That way they can be really charred on the outside yet still medium rare.  I LOVE steaks browned in cast iron and then finished briefly in the oven.  We always buy our rib eyes from this local place called Gourmet Butcher Block; they're really pricey but they put their own seasoning on them and honest to God, they're the best steaks we've ever had. I would kill to duplicate their seasoning but I can't for the life of me figure out what makes it so good and they smartly refuse to sell you any seasoning that they don't put on the meat. We both prefer them to any prime steaks we've ever had (and I used to represent Ruth's Chris Steak House when I was in advertising and loved her steaks). The owner of GBB laughs at me as I told him years ago that he totally ruined RCCH for us!  He also told me he gets his steaks cut exactly as I do, 1-3/4 inches.

Last spring when Brian fell on the concrete while clowning around in front of our house and broke two vertebrae in his back, I was having a really hard time getting him to eat since he was in a lot of pain. He was also so nauseated but taking killer pain pills on an empty stomach wasn't helping. I was in pretty bad shape, too, 'cause I was up and down our steep staircase many times a day trying to take care of him and get him to eat so I was hurting like crazy. I finally got him on my anti-nausea pills and talked him into getting out of the bed so he would feel better as he needed to start moving around again! I made him promised me he would come downstairs for dinner one night so I could try to entice him to eat. (Brian is not the easiest person to take care of when he's sick either; he lost 28 lbs. during this ordeal as he just refused to eat more than a bite or two for ages and he's 6'4" so the weight was flying off.) The man loves beef so I had defrosted one of those seasoned rib eyes for a day in the fridge. I cooked it in the screaming hot cast iron pan and finished it in the oven.  He couldn't believe I'd cooked that steak on the stove and said he would've sworn that I grilled it on the Weber.  I was so glad he liked his steak like that and we've had them that way quite a few times since then. Just a lot easier than dealing with the grill, especially for me since I've left grilling to him for so many years.

Your meal looked soooo good, Norm!

85 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 am

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Gee, I hope Crybaby's OK in N.O.. Hope she didn't have flood damage. I was watching a man floating down a street on an air mattress when a woman waded up to him and handed him a beer. Another man was drinking a beer in a kayak. A group of people were sitting in the patio of a restaurant with water up to their hips tossing back a few.

You were very sweet to think of me, Debbie. We're lucky as we bought a raised house in a very high area of N.O. We'd seen too many people deal with flooding in their homes over and over and over. We have flood insurance, of course, but live in the X flood zone so it's not as expensive as it is for some, especially for those who've flooded more than once. I didn't know until Katrina, and neither did a lot of people here in N.O., that you could buy excess flood insurance. But even though we've never had high water on our street or in our neighborhood (in a huge rain event like we had recently, the gutter gets water that is about 6 inches wide but it doesn't come near to even going over the curb), I raised the limits on our flood insurance for both the building and the contents coverage. Every year when the policy renews I think about lowering it but never do it. It's money well spent "just in case.:

We drove through high water once when Brian insisted on doing so (in his company car, a small Bronco at the time) after a freaky afternoon rainstorm put water in the streets up to the door handles of the cars parked on the street -- this happened in the span of an hour of torrential rain! And this was in the downtown working district. I wanted us to stay in my high rise office and have him put the car in the parking garage in my building, but he wouldn't hear of it as he wanted to go home and didn't care if the darn car got ruined; I was worried it would stall and we'd have to walk through high water but thank God he gunned it the whole way thru the water and we made it without a problem. As we drove through the water to our Uptown apartment located on the second floor, I saw that each and every car near our apartment was flooded but not a single home, as all the homes were old homes that had been renovated and they were ALL raised -- not a single slab house in that area! I remember telling him that day that I'd never ever buy a house that wasn't raised and I'd never ever buy in an area that was susceptible to flooding -- and we didn't! My sister's home is raised as is her rental house next door but their street floods so they have to always keep an eye on the weather and move their cars up onto the neutral ground (the median to you guys) when the water starts coming up -- and often it comes up really really fast!

Laughed at the boozers on the news from N.O. as we are a drinking town! Once when it flooded badly here when I was still living at home, I'd turned back rather than continue on my way to work (I was a waitress at the time) as I had to drive along a canal and when I got where I could see the canal, the water was so high that I couldn't see where the road was and the canal was so I turned around just as the car stalled. I made it to a slanted parking area behind a convenient store and got help pushing the car up out of the water onto higher ground. I knew it'd be fine once the distributor cap dried out, which it was. Then I walked home the rest of the way, holding my shoes up in my hands (I love shoes!) and holding an umbrella, laughing my butt off as I figured all I was doing was carrying a lightning rod over my head! My father was already ill and wasn't working so he was thrilled when I showed up back home as he was worried sick about me passing that canal. My boss was furious when I called him and I told him I wasn't going to ruin my Mustang or drown trying to get to work. He didn't believe me about the canal as he knew where I lived. So I suggested he get in his van and come pick me up if he was so sure about the canal but suggested he wear a f'ing life jacket in case he ended up in that canal. Needless to say, he didn't come! I don't think he realized the magnitude of the flooding yet but pretty soon, every place that flooded was flooded! That's the first of many "hundred year floods" -- I even remember the date, as it was called the May 10th flood!

But the bar/restaurant I worked in was raised and on St. Charles Avenue, where the street cars run. Some clever kids had a flat boat out there and for a fee were ferrying people trapped on the street cars (which stop running in an electrical storm) to the restaurant where I worked! Better off being stranded where you can drink and eat while you wait for the water to go down than stuck on a hot streetcar (they weren't air conditioned at the time) with a lot of people all worried and complaining and probably smelling after a while!

86 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 am

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:My fridge needed a good cleaning/organizing, and a bunch of the contents have become a pot of ratatouille.  peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, zuccini................ and a bag of mixed seafood added at the last.  Calamari, mussels, baby octopus, shrimp.  It's going to be a great lunch today, and tomorrow, and maybe the next day too!

Sounds delicious, Lore. I was worried about you the last time I was here as you hadn't been around for a while. Was glad to see you back tonight!

87 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 am

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:Indian  Creek flooded and stranded people in Coaches Bar and Grill.

and the 'down side' to this story is??????

(Sorry ~ it just struck me as funny..........I mean, if you have to be stranded somewhere, why NOT at a bar & grill?)

Are you SURE you're not a New Orleanian, Beth? My kind of woman indeed.

One hurricane, not a bad one either, when we first bought this house, my mom was nervous so I went and got her, her dog and her cat so she could spend the night here. It was Hurricane Georges. The twin mattresses for the guest room were even delivered that morning, the same morning I went and snagged her. Good thing, too, as that's where she was going to sleep! She was a tiny thing, though, so would've been satisfied sleeping on the sofabed. If you weren't big or heavy, I found it comfortable but Brian could feel the metal rungs right through the mattress and he hated sleeping on that thing.

Anyway, she'd always been a drink counter as my dad was a stone cold "working alcoholic," and I know she worried about all of us getting that gene. My brother, unfortunately, drank to excess for years and finally quit about 20 years ago. I was drinking gin gimlets at the time which have to be shaken and I had Brian in stitches as I'd step out of the back door of the kitchen to shake my drinks on the back deck. Hell, you're stuck in the house, the TV just had storm coverage on (we'd just moved in so cable wasn't connected yet; Brian was reading the TV listings and announcing what we COULD have been watching with cable, which was annoying as all get out!), and Mama was insisting the regular UHF channels had a weather channel. When we asked her which channel it was (she refused to get cable as she really wasn't a television watcher), she said, "You just put any of the channels on (any of the 4 UHF channels!!!), and the weather shows up on the bottom of the screen." We, of course, were howling at this, as she thought the crawler across the bottom of the screen was a "weather channel." She didn't take kindly to our laughing about it either.

I finally shook a drink in the kitchen so she heard it and I knew she'd probably been watching the amount of liquid in my cocktail glass all along. She said, "Michelle, you're having ANOTHER drink? What is that, your third?!" My reply was, "God almighty, Mama, it's not like I'm going to be driving anytime soon!" And back to the back deck I went to shake my drinks, even if it was raining! Brian and I spent a lot of time sitting on the front stoop watching people walking around in rain gear, mostly up to the levee to see if the river was high. The wind wasn't bad enough to keep people inside as they get antsy and want to see what's going on. Jeesh, in my own home no less! Brian was hooting at all of this, as she didn't give a damn how many beers he was slugging back. And he knew it, too! I couldn't WAIT to take her back home the next day, even though we spent a while cleaning up her back yard, picking up all the small broken branches that had come down from her pecan trees. If we didn't do it, I knew that old lady would be out there trying to do it herself. The first thing I did when I got back home was to make a drink and shake it loudly in my own home!

88 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 am

Bugster2

We live on a hillside and usually don't get enough rain to give us any trouble, but the first year we moved in here we had a storm that dropped 6 inches in 4 hours. We had a torrent and waterfall down the side of the house running so fast. It didn't even hint at going into the house. 6 miles away, it was a different matter. Laguna Canyon road had a mudslide which wiped out some homes and killed some people. Miracle of miracles, a man was walking along side the road after the slide, at night and he found a baby, covered in mud but alive.
Fires are our danger. Ten years ago or so there was a fire in the canyon that got so close we could see the flames from our street. That was scary. The air was so bad that I coughed for days. A couple of months later on Christmas day it was warm so I opened the windows to air out the house. BIG mistake. The breeze blew black soot in that covered everything. I had to clean, mop and vacuum for days.

89 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 am

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Checked with my insurance people about the leak. It is covered BUT if I make another claim I will be cancelled and finding another insurance co to cover me will be next to impossible. Nice. What the hell do you have insurance for?

I opened my recipe software today and an automatic update was installed. It wiped out my software and I lost all of my recipes. I looked into my external harddrive thinking my backup was there. Nope. All that was backed up was pictures. Found some folders in my documents area but can't open them because I don't have an app. I guess it means my software. I contacted the company but I don't know what they can do about the recipe loss. I wasn't using their Cloud service because it cost $7/mo which I thought was too expensive and I also thought my external was storing my recipes.

As I said - when it rains it pours.

So so sorry, Debbie.  I would be distraught at the loss of all my recipes.  I still haven't gotten all the recipes I TYPED in off my old desktop computer. Tried moving them to a thumb drive but I couldn't get it to work.  It's the only reason I still have that computer covered by Norton is I want those recipes.  Most of those were TYPED in by me and not copied from the Internet, and represent a lot of work and a lot of recipes I never printed out.  

So sorry about your house troubles as well.  Not to minimize your problems in any way as I feel your pain, but I sure wish our problems were covered by insurance. I even did some research to see if I could write any of this off on our taxes but not unless the damage was caused by say a storm or a hurricane or an event of some sort.

90 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 am

Crybaby

That's what happened here last week, Deb. Some areas got 4 and 5 inches in an hour! Plus June was the wettest June on record and I'm pretty sure if July didn't set a record it was darn close. I've never seen so much rain here in summer and I'm born and raised here. The ground is soaked so all the water had no place to help it be absorbed.

Our pumps can only handle one inch of water in the first hour and a half-inch of water each hour thereafter. That, the soaked ground from two months of tremendous rain, and as it turned out, many of the pumps were out of service, as some were undergoing "routine maintenance," which is being done at the wrong time of the year. Some electricity being out was a problem for some of the city's many pumps because the generators weren't working and hadn't been repaired or replaced. What was worse is that the powers that be lied to the people and said all the pumps were working that day last weekend but people swore they were lying. One man said he was out in the street the next day with water halfway to his knees and all of a sudden, there was a vortex and the water started getting sucked down the trap drains that are common on most blocks in lots of the city. That's what happens when pumps are brought online -- and they were right. The mayor was out of town and I guess the people in charge of the pumping system owned up to the mayor when he returned and he busted them with a quick news conference and said who he'd fired and who would be retiring in the next few months. It was and is a real boondoggle.

Brian and I are lucky there as we not only risk no flooding at our house but being retired, we haven't had to go to work during any of these deluges!

And the man who's doing the work for us covered our French doors on the balcony with Visqueen over a week ago. But it did prove that the French doors were causing the leaking downstairs as it was dry as a bone. All those storms we've been having would've put tons of water in through the windows and poor Brian would've been slaving putting out and hanging up towels on the windows, buckets nearby to catch the water where it runs from the windows onto the ceiling, etc. We couldn't have dried towels fast enough and we didn't have to worry. He cut out some sheetrock downstairs in the walls and it's amazing how quickly it is drying out. And thanks be to God, no termites seen thus far!

I'm going to post a message tomorrow about some of the problems we're encountering now that repairs have begun. It's one thing after another -- nothing money can't solve but isn't THAT always the case.

91 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 am

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
Norm wrote:Charlie and I went to Costco today. We mostly got non food items but I decided to pick up some rib eye steaks for dinner tonight.  They were two inches thick and it was rainy so I did them in a skillet until browned then finished in the oven.

We  buy really thick rib eyes, too, and get them cut at 1-3/4 inches.  That way they can be really charred on the outside yet still medium rare.  I LOVE steaks browned in cast iron and then finished briefly in the oven.  We always buy our rib eyes from this local place called Gourmet Butcher Block; they're really pricey but they put their own seasoning on them and honest to God, they're the best steaks we've ever had. I would kill to duplicate their seasoning but I can't for the life of me figure out what makes it so good and they smartly refuse to sell you any seasoning that they don't put on the meat. We both prefer them to any prime steaks we've ever had (and I used to represent Ruth's Chris Steak House when I was in advertising and loved her steaks). The owner of GBB laughs at me as I told him years ago that he totally ruined RCCH for us!  He also told me he gets his steaks cut exactly as I do, 1-3/4 inches.

Last spring when Brian fell on the concrete while clowning around in front of our house and broke two vertebrae in his back, I was having a really hard time getting him to eat since he was in a lot of pain. He was also so nauseated but taking killer pain pills on an empty stomach wasn't helping. I was in pretty bad shape, too, 'cause I was up and down our steep staircase many times a day trying to take care of him and get him to eat so I was hurting like crazy. I finally got him on my anti-nausea pills and talked him into getting out of the bed so he would feel better as he needed to start moving around again!  I made him promised me he would come downstairs for dinner one night so I could try to entice him to eat. (Brian is not the easiest person to take care of when he's sick either; he lost 28 lbs. during this ordeal as he just refused to eat more than a bite or two for ages and he's 6'4" so the weight was flying off.) The man loves beef so I had defrosted one of those seasoned rib eyes for a day in the fridge. I cooked it in the screaming hot cast iron pan and finished it in the oven.  He couldn't believe I'd cooked that steak on the stove and said he would've sworn that I grilled it on the Weber.  I was so glad he liked his steak like that and we've had them that way quite a few times since then. Just a lot easier than dealing with the grill, especially for me since I've left grilling to him for so many years.

Your meal looked soooo good, Norm!

Thanks

92 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Asian pork medallions on noodles......steak & pepper sub smothered in cheese.....both look fantastic!

I agree wholeheartedly. Jimmy and Norm, take your bows! cheers

93 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Last month, the starting of monsoon in our area, we had a lot of flash flood, many houses/subdivisions got flooded, cars got stranded on highway, beside flood, we got dust storm a lot.. the most tragic one was  flash flood on a picnic area that killed 9 family members there, so sad.. and there were many news about hikers got stranded on the mountain because of the flood.

I saw this on the national news, Imelda, and then read several articles about the family and your monsoon rains. So very sad. I cried when watching the report on TV -- your heart just broke for them. At the time they were still looking for I believe it was the father's body, which I know they eventually found.

I admit thinking about you two hiking all the time when that story was in the news, but then I thought about Dirk being such an experienced hiker that I figured he probably took great pains to avoid situations like that which could come up so suddenly. Glad to read how careful you guys are and how much thought goes into hiking safely. I would love the scenery and vistas you guys must experience but I know one thing -- I'm no hiker, even when I was younger. We live in a very, very FLAT area of the country but our climate with heat AND ridiculous humidity always made hiking sound extremely unappealing. My mom was a "birder" and though I love birds and are really into them more so as an adult, I never wanted to accompany her on some of the escorted bird "hikes" she often took part in. I knew I wouldn't last long so I wasn't about to go with her, as I would've been Debbie Downer for the whole group!

94 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Bellies are full. We decided to have BLT and cheese sandwiches for supper.
Pumpkin Loaf DD made was dessert!

We had BLTs a couple of days ago, Jimmy, and they are always delicious and hit the spot. I don't like cheese on my BLT, though I must admit never trying it. I just love BLTs so much I wouldn't want to change the taste in any way. Brian makes the bacon and I put together the sandwiches, as not so much with BLTs, but I am very set in my ways about the proper order of the ingredients when making a sandwich.

We were watching some show the other morning, probably The Kitchen as it was on while we were having our coffee in bed, and they were speaking of their preferred order of ingredients in a sandwich. Several of them put the cheese slice next to the bread and I NEVER do that. Brian laughed when I explained why I don't do that: "If you put the cheese next to the bread, it sticks to the roof of your mouth like a host does!" Catholics will understand but he howled like a little kid.

95 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Bellies are full. We decided to have BLT and cheese sandwiches for supper.
Pumpkin Loaf DD made was dessert!

We had BLTs a couple of days ago, Jimmy, and they are always delicious and hit the spot.  I don't like cheese on my BLT, though I must admit never trying it.  I just love BLTs so much I wouldn't want to change the taste in any way.  Brian makes the bacon and I put together the sandwiches, as not so much with BLTs, but I am very set in my ways about the proper order of the ingredients when making a sandwich.  

We were watching some show the other morning, probably The Kitchen as it was on while we were having our coffee in bed, and they were speaking of their preferred order of ingredients in a sandwich.  Several of them put the cheese slice next to the bread and I NEVER do that.  Brian laughed when I explained why I don't do that:  "If you put the cheese next to the bread, it sticks to the roof of your mouth like a host does!"  Catholics will understand but he howled like a little kid.  

Oh Yes! I agree with order in a sandwich. i.e. Today, Tina bought me an Egg McMuffin, at the yellow arch place. Yay!! They placed the egg on the English Muffin bottom, then the cheese, and lastly the sausage patty. It was made perfectly, and no sticking. Well, actually, I ate the darn thing with one bite; so there was no chance for sticking! LOL

96 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Would you believe it? .... We are unable to cook anymore! That is, if we get some onions in this house! ... We actually ran out of onions. We always have a bag of onions on hand.
Nope! ... This was a rarity that we have no onions. I'm going around singing, "Yes, We Have No Onions, We Have No Onions TODAY!"

We use onions with just about everything we cook. Tina mommy is out shopping today!
At 4:30, she is to meet DIL at Costco's in Rockaway, NJ.

She is local now, and as soon as she brings up those precious onions, ( Ummm! ), I will thin slice 1/2 and make deli onions for my sub sandwich to have with cheddar cheese and broccoli soup for supper. * sliced thinly onion ( I use yellow plain regular ) / water 1 cup and vinegar 2 Tbs and sugar / pinch or two. In a flat container let soak on the counter for 2 hours. Refrigerate the leftover for future use. Keeps for 5 days approx.

I love them ( Just a few slices ) on a hoagie / sub sandwich!

97 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Bugster2

I am doing a marinated rotisserie chicken with an orange reduction.

A few months ago I started using a small OXO squeegee to wipe down the counter area around my sink. When I rinse my dishes water seems to go everywhere and I was tired of using cloths and sponges. The squeegee does a fast job.

This morning I am making bread machine cinnamon rolls.

98 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Would you believe it? .... We are unable to cook anymore! That is, if we get some onions in this house! ... We actually ran out of onions. We always have a bag of onions on hand.
Nope! ... This was a rarity that we have no onions. I'm going around singing, "Yes, We Have No Onions, We Have No Onions TODAY!"

We use onions with just about everything we cook. Tina mommy is out shopping today!
At 4:30, she is to meet DIL at Costco's in Rockaway, NJ.

She is local now, and as soon as she brings up those precious onions, ( Ummm! ), I will thin slice 1/2 and make deli onions for my sub sandwich to have with cheddar cheese and broccoli soup for supper.    * sliced thinly onion ( I use yellow plain regular ) / water 1 cup and vinegar 2 Tbs and sugar / pinch or two. In a flat container let soak on the counter for 2 hours. Refrigerate the leftover for future use. Keeps for 5 days approx.

I love them ( Just a few slices ) on a hoagie / sub sandwich!

Jimmy, just for those times when I rarely run out of onions, I keep a bag of chopped onions in the freezer. Sometimes you think you have an onion only to pick it up and find that it is moldy or mildewed.

Do you have one of those kitchen appliances that you rarely use but are glad you have it? I have one of those folding bread proofers that I pull out and use once in a while. Today it was for the cinnamon rolls.

99 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Crybaby

I was watching The Kitchen on the Food Channel this morning with Brian (one of the few food shows he will watch with me for a little while as he says they make him too hungry) and he really thought this recipe looked good. Though like Beth, he likes his pork steaks, he liked how Jeff pounded these pork rib chops really thin.  Since I copied the recipe down for me to try one day, I figured I'd share it with you guys.  Jeff said he also called it Pork Schnitzel!  I wasn't really sure until this morning what schnitzel was, but have since educated myself using Google!

Pickle-Brined Pork Chops with Sweet and Spicy Peppers
4 Servings / Recipe by Jeff Mauro, The Kitchen.

1 cup dill pickle juice (preferably leftover from a jar of pickles)
1 cup whole sweet piquanté peppers from a deli olive bar, such as Peppadews,
plus 1/4 cup of the pepper juice
Four 1-inch-thick bone-in pork rib chops
2 orange bell peppers, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, whisked
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 lemon wedges, for serving

Combine the pickle juice, pepper juice and pork chops in a large zipper-top bag. Brine at least overnight and at most 24 hours, flipping the bag halfway through.
Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Toss the piquanté peppers, bell peppers and onions with the olive oil in a bowl. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast until slightly charred and soft, about 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 200⁰F and keep warm until ready to serve.

Take the chops out of the bag (discard the brine) and dry them off with paper towels. Place a chop between plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until 1/2-inch thick. Make sure you pound around the bone but keep the bone intact; this adds flavor and plating dramatics. Repeat with the remaining chops.

Set up an F.E.B. station with flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow containers; season the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Season each chop with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour, coat with the egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs, ensuring the breadcrumbs adhere to all the nooks and crannies.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and heat until very hot. Working in 2 batches, fry the chops 2 at a time until golden on each side, 4 to 5 minutes a side. Keep the chops warm on a wire-racked baking sheet in the oven while you repeat with the remaining chops.

Plate each chop over a serving of the peppers and onions and serve with 2 lemon wedges to squeeze on top.

100 Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Crybaby

Does anyone know how to use "citation multiple" when replying to a message?  I've tried many times and again today, to no avail.  

I'm encountering a couple of problems here and I guess it's my computer.  Usually, when I want to quote a paragraph of someone's message, I highlight it and copy it, and then paste it into a new message.  Then I highlight it and use the quote button (the little cloud in the fourth "box" to the far right in the top line when you're responding), and up comes a box where I can type in the name of the person I'm quoting; after typing in the person's name, I would just hit INSERT and it would surround the quote with the coding that added the name of the person and then ended the quote.  NOW when I use it, it doesn't surround the quote like it used to do, but rather puts the two "codes" at the end of the blurb I'm quoting.  I can, of course, and have been just copying the first code and plopping it in front of the blurb I'm quoting but wondered if it was doing that to any of you who use that feature.  It might just be FRESH HELL from this computer I'm still dealing with.

Just now when I posted that recipe and went to use BOLD and increase the font size of the recipe name, the codes also appeared at the end of the highlighted text instead of surrounding it like it used to be.  Same problem but with different "codes" being used.  

Was curious if anyone else was encountering these problems.

Plus I've always wanted to know how to use the multi-quote feature (named "citation multiple") so I can quote several of you in one response.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum