Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Artichoke and Feta Tarts

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Crybaby

Since we just talked about artichoke hearts, here's a recipe I've made before that we really liked.  Not my picture of it but one I found posted on the Net.

Artichoke and Feta Tarts
Makes 6 servings.  Recipe from Bon Appétit May 2013
If you prefer, swap out the marinated artichoke hearts for drained canned or thawed frozen artichoke hearts.

1/3 cup heavy cream
4 ounces feta, divided
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 (14-ounce [1 sheet] or 17.3-ounce [2 sheets]) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
All-purpose flour (for work surface)
2 (4-ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, halved
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg, beaten to blend

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Blend cream and 2 ounces feta in a food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
2. If using 14-ounce package of puff pastry, cut in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured surface into a 16x10" rectangle. (If using 17.3-ounce package, use 1 sheet of pastry for each tart.) Transfer each piece of pastry to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a paring knife, lightly score pastry (do not cut all the way through), leaving a 1" border.
3. Spread feta mixture over pastry, dividing evenly and staying within border. Arrange artichoke hearts over feta mixture and crumble remaining 2 ounces feta over; drizzle with oil. Brush pastry border with egg.
4. Bake tart until pastry is puffed and beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue to bake until pastry is deep golden brown and cooked through, 20-25 minutes longer. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Do Ahead: Tart can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

2 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 pm

JanaAZ

That sounds wonderful.

3 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:That sounds wonderful.

We liked it, too, Judy. My husband preferred it warm but I liked it at room temp, too.

I love appetizers (often order a couple of them instead of an entrée if we go out to a really nice place for dinner -- that way I can have another appetizer and a cup of soup, too. So I get to have three appetizers instead of one!

Plus is there anyone alive who doesn't like puff pastry?! If I know one of our friends is dropping by the house, I make sure I have a pack of puff pastry defrosted in the fridge. I'll peruse the list of recipes I have using it and so when they show up, I can throw something together really quickly (something easy so I can talk and have a glass of wine with them while I put it together). I always laugh 'cause if you make something out of puff pastry, people always assume you've gone to "so much trouble."

How're you doing anyway? You must be busy 'cause we don't see you too often around these parts. I always hoped you'd post pictures of your kitchen once it was completed, as I'll bet it would make me pea green with envy! tongue

4 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 am

Bugster2

What can you substitute for Feta? It is a little too strong for us.

5 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm

JanaAZ

[quote="Crybaby" 

How're you doing anyway?  You must be busy 'cause we don't see you too often around these parts.  I always hoped you'd post pictures of your kitchen once it was completed, as I'll bet it would make me pea green with envy!  tongue [/quote]

I'm sorry. I thought I posted them. I have such trouble posting photos...let me see if I can do some now. It's been 2 years. That darn kitchen has already been thru a war....it's heavily used. lol

6 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:What can you substitute for Feta? It is a little too strong for us.

The only thing I could think of was goat cheese but I googled it and found, "Five Mild, Crumbly Substitutes for Feta Cheese" and included a link for you.

https://delishably.com/dairy/5-Alternatives-to-Feta-Cheese

Hope this helps! Cool

7 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Bugster2

Thank you!

8 Re: Artichoke and Feta Tarts on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Thank you!

You're more than welcome!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: