Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

176 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is a little song for you Norm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dN8Ycqby4&index=10&list=RDinS9gAgSENE

177 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:07 pm

NormM

Thanks. Funny how much those guys all look alike. LOL

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

178 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm

bethk

Admin
'The boy' has been whining about CRAB ever since he got here. His grandfather suggested a meal at Outback Steakhouse where they have a $15.99 steak & crab special going on this month. I figured $31 worth of crab from the grocery store (and the grandfather eating leftovers ~ at his request) was a much more frugal meal. So, Jake & I are splitting 2 3/4 lb. of snow crab ~

Wonder if we'll be able to finish it all????

179 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

cookingirl

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NORM....

180 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

NormM

Thank you Cindy.

181 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

bethk

Admin
Jake says he could have eaten twice as much crab.....which was already twice as much as he'd get at any restaurant.......so, TOO BAD!  Ungrateful teenager!  LOL

Supper was a huge success:

182 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper .... Haddock I cooked in butter tomato, and wine sauce.
Spanish rice. Dunkin Donuts for dessert.

183 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm

bethk

Admin
Great looking supper, Jimmy! I love a good piece of haddock or cod ~ mild, moist, full of fishy flavor!

(And if I could grab that coconut covered donut, it wouldn't be there right now!)

184 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

NormM

Our dinner was two Creole dishes, Rice and Corn and Shrimp Soup

185 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

bethk

Admin
Looks good, Norm. Now you have me hungry for Spanish rice, although I don't think Jake cares for it. I'll have to ask ~ maybe he does like it and it's someone else who pleads for me NOT to make it. LOL

The shrimp & corn soup looks like a great summer meal all by itself. YUM!

186 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

NormM

Thanks Beth. The two went together very well. Charlie dumped the rice in the soup and ate them together.

187 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Crybaby

Sorry to be the last one doing so, Norm, but I hope you had the happiest of birthdays!  

188 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Crybaby

Guess what I finally broke down and bought?!  A Food Saver, one of those gizmos that sucks the air out of a package of food and seals it for the freezer or the fridge!  

I saw one the other day -- a vertical model, which fits perfectly on my kitchen counter in a space between the microwave and the stove.  I've got enough room there so it's not too close to the stove, too.  Plus, it's got to be on the counter at the proper height or we'd never use it.  Tried it yesterday and I had to laugh at Brian, as he just loves the thing.  He wraps most of the food for the freezer so it'll make his life easier for sure.  It's kind of neat, as it has space inside to store both some bags and a roll of the stuff to make custom bags.  Nice to have that stuff handy so you're not going from here to there and back when it's time to use the darn thing.  

All I had to move was some tall glass receptacles with big wide cork tops -- my brother is a geologist and he got a bunch of them when he worked for Exxon right out of college -- that I use as glass canisters. They're mostly for show, as I have five of them, two with different shapes of pasta and the other three contain white beans, red beans and a 15-bean mix.  Those are the beans I use when blind baking a pie shell, as they've been in those canisters for years.  Periodically, I empty them and put them thru the dishwasher, and then put the same contents right back in.  This time I decided to ask Lynn, my housekeeper, to just wash the outsides of them in the sink with the contents kept in them.  Since they're close to the stove, they get a tad greasy eventually which helps any dust just adhere to them.  

I'm going to move those glass jars to the windowsill in one of the kitchen windows.  In one corner of my kitchen where the counter ends about three feet from the corner, the countertop drops about a foot right under the window and runs to the wall, so it makes a little desk you can sit at right in front of the window.  It's cute and I have my breadmaker on that desk all the way to the right.  I have some pretty skinny bottles with some homemade vinegars on the windowsill but they've been there a while (the long sprig of rosemary in one jar of vinegar has been bleached white from the sun!), so it's time to empty most of them and make some more or more likely, run those little bottles thru the dishwasher and stash them in the pantry until I'm so moved...

189 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Crybaby

Beth, I thought of you when I saw this today on the back cover of a periodical.  I'm not a beet girl so I don't know if these would be good to snack on but I figured I'd type it out for you anyway. I guess this would be a good way to get a kid to eat beets, too.  (Throwing the slices in a bowl and tossing them with the olive oil and salt mixture seems easier than this method but I typed it as printed...)

Beet Chips with Sea Salt & Smoked Paprika
Recipe from Reynolds Wrap.

1 Tablespoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 medium beets, rinsed and trimmed
2 Tablespoon olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 375⁰F. Line two 18x13-inch baking pans with aluminum foil.
2. Combine sea salt and paprika.
3. Cut the beets into very thin slices using a sharp knife or mandolin. Divide beets between each of the prepared pans.  Drizzle each with oil then shake in the pan.  Sprinkle with salt mixture and toss again.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes or until chips are crispy.

190 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Crybaby

Norm, your shrimp and corn soup looked very good.  I make a shrimp and corn stew that's pretty similar.  I just start with a light roux and just use less shrimp or fish stock in the mix. My mom made that stew since I was a kid. Locally, the groceries sell flash frozen shrimp of different sizes in one pound bags, so it's a quick dinner when you don't have to peel the shrimp.  (Of course, it's even better with fresh shrimp, and then you can make your own shrimp stock with the shells and heads.) We serve it on white rice usually with garlic bread and a nice salad.  The tomatoes you used in your soup looked like a nice addition, too.  

I've got the makings in the freezer and have been thinking of making it for a while now.  'Course Brian not eating it keeps me from making it. The last time I made it was when his toe got infected and he spent 9 days in the hospital.  It turned out sooo good that I ate it every night until it was gone!

When my mom was still living alone (and was still healthy), she made it one time at home and phoned me and said it tasted bland to her and asked if I had any suggestions.  I knew she usually had a package of those small corn on the cobs in the freezer, so I suggested she throw a few of those in and let it simmer about 30 minutes, figuring the cobs would give it more flavor. She called me back laughing and said it was just the ticket!  I was so flattered that she'd called me, as she was a very good cook.  A memory I always think of when I think of that dish...

191 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm

bethk

Admin
I made a beef stirfry for supper.....same old ~ same old. Unfortunately, 'the boy' didn't appreciate the vegetables, claimed I put in stuff he doesn't like. I assured him I only used vegetables I knew he liked (he wasn't buying it, though), carrots, celery, onions, pea pods and cabbage. Surprisingly, the one thing he didn't try to pick out was the cabbage ~ go figure. But he ate lots of the beef because I told him he could pick it out of the serving dish (I used a large amount knowing he liked it). The 3/4 c. of leftover rice is sitting on the counter top waiting to be eaten as an after dinner snack.

No more pics from me until I figure out how to download pics from my phone to a computer file. I need to stop at the Verizon store and ask one of the 14 year olds there how it can be done with my pc. I've gotten more messages from Photobucket that I'm still downloading to 3rd party even though I'm just downloading to my computer file. I don't want them to freeze my account so I cannot see my pictures from the last 6 or 7 years. Boy, it just steams me, but I guess I should have read the 'small print' and understood their terms of use. My own fault.

192 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Bugster2

I bought a Foodsaver when they were doing infomercials. It has to be in the 80's or early 90's. Both my sisters poo-pooed the purchase. Thought it was a waste of money. One sister now has 3 of them. The other sister never needed one with 3 boys in the house. She couldn't keep anything in the house long enough to store. My FS is still going strong. I use them primarily for meat. I load up when there is a good sale and use the FS bags.

193 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Thanks Beth. The two went together very well.  Charlie dumped the rice in the soup and ate them together.

Happy Birthday Norm, hope you have a fun one

194 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 am

NormM

We have had a food saver like that but it's a lot older. We have it loaded with a single roll that you seal on both ends so you can make a bag any size you want.

Thank you Imelda.

195 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 pm

bethk

Admin
Having burgers on the grill.....sauteed zucchini & onions ('the boy's' favorite) and a few crispy crown potato tots ~ you've seen pics of the same meal half a dozen times so no need to repeat ~ since I'm not posting until I figure out how to do it without using Photobucket.

196 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Maybe someone can help me...

Great Grandma Evelyn is trying to post on the site, and she forgot her password....but she did get a temporary one ....so she tried to log in, but the notice comes up saying (* No New Members are being admitted at this time )

FIXED.....

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

197 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Sloppy Joes ( Whimpy's ) and sweet corn .
Then, for dessert, Tina went to that bakery in Chester, NJ to get us cupcakes.
Supposedly, she was a winner on cupcake wars show on the cooking channel ....
I will say...they are good. Real butter cream icing.

198 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 pm

bethk

Admin
We went to the beach today, next to Marineland south of St. Augustine. The beach is beautiful, there is easy access with plenty of parking and there are, surprisingly, very few people. Jake had a good time looking for shells & sea creatures ~ missed getting a starfish but that's OK.

On the way home we stopped at our favorite inexpensive seafood restaurant ~ Musselwhite's ~ and we had the 12 shrimp special / $7.50 (comes with 2 sides). Jake wanted the fried alligator appetizer (tastes like chicken, don't you know ~ LOL) and shared it. I ended up giving him my last 3 shrimp as I was stuffed. We've been home for almost half an hour and he hasn't gone foraging in the refrigerator so I have a feeling he got filled up.

199 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Burgers on the grill. Fried onions on mine.
Tina had mashed potatoes and sloppy Joes on top the potatoes.

200 Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... we know what's for supper tonight.
Tina mommy was up early, and made a pot of tomato sauce with meatballs and Firecracker H O T
Johnsonville Brats.
She went to PA with her uncle today. He wanted to drive too. 95 years old, and still he drives.
I would be a nervous wreck driving with a person that age. He ( according to Tina ) is alert and a good driver. Actually, he's got me beat.
Anyway.... It's hot hot hot out today. 79 degrees at 10:30 am, and supposed to hit 90.

I guess inside work is in store for today. I will make some tuna salad for lunch and for the uncle to take home with him. PLuSS +, I got a six pack of beer to keep me happy. LOL

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum