Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017....Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch

+2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1June, 2017....Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch Empty June, 2017....Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just wanted to get the thread started. I posted my lunch in the dinner thread but you all know it really doesn't matter......Hahahahahha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I had coffee....

Hard to wake up, it's a bit overcast outside and I feel like just crawling back to bed.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was up at 2 am this morning; and making biscotti for Tina. She likes my Biscotti.
Vanilla flavored for her. I like the anisette flavor, but not this time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

May I have some with MY coffee, please? I'm with Ms. Tina, no anisette flavor for me ~ but vanilla sounds wonderful.....dipped in my coffee. YUM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:May I have some with MY coffee, please?  I'm with Ms. Tina,  no anisette flavor for me ~ but vanilla sounds wonderful.....dipped in my coffee.  YUM!

Tina, DD Maria , and DIL Sherrie, only like the vanilla flavored. Jimmy and I like the anisette. I guess because my mother made them for him when he was a little boy. Personally, I like the ones with the Star Anise seeds in the cookie.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just got a Belgian waffle maker. I have never made waffles before. Does anyone have a good batter recipe?

NormM

NormM

I thought I had an Alton Brown recipe for waffles but can't locate it at the moment. Here is one from King Arthur.  Waffles is at the end of the pancake recipe.

SIMPLY PERFECT PANCAKES

Malt, rather than sugar, is what sweetens most food-service (i.e., restaurant/hotel) pancake mixes. For that typical "diner" taste, try malt in your pancakes instead of sugar.

Ingredients

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar OR 1/4 cup malted milk powder
*Use 1 cup milk if you're baking under hot, humid conditions, or if you're going to let the batter rest longer than 15 minutes. Use up to 1 1/4 cups milk in cold, dry conditions.
Beat the eggs and milk until light and foamy, about 3 minutes at high speed of a stand or hand mixer. Stir in the butter or vegetable oil.
Whisk the dry ingredients together to evenly distribute the salt, baking powder and sweetener.
Gently and quickly mix into the egg and milk mixture. Let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes, while the griddle is heating; it"ll thicken slightly.
Heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat, or set an electric griddle to 375°F. Lightly grease frying pan or griddle. The pan or griddle is ready if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.
Drop 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the lightly greased griddle. Bake on one side until bubbles begin to form and break, about 2 minutes; then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn over only once. Serve immediately.
please Yield: 1 dozen large (4 1/2") pancakes
TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS
To make waffles, substitute 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil for 2 tablespoons of the milk. Cook waffles as directed with your waffle iron. Hint - if you try to open the iron and it doesn't open easily, the waffle isn't done yet.
For a whole grain breakfast treat, replace 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour with 1/2 cup of ground oats.
A grated apple mixed into the batter will keep the pancakes moist longer if you need to cook them ahead and bring them to the table all at once
For blueberry pancakes, sprinkle fresh or thawed frozen blueberries over the batter after you pour it on the griddle. Mixing frozen blueberries into the batter before scooping will turn it blue and streaky.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pancakes and waffles are a special 'treat' I make for myself.....I love all kinds, although blueberry are a real favorite ~ with LOTS of blueberries in the mix!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I just got a Belgian waffle maker. I have never made waffles before. Does anyone have a good batter recipe?

Dad’s Yeast Raised Waffles
( 10 to 12 minutes prep time ) + refrigerated overnight or for 8 hours. *Makes 6 to 8 - 7” round waffles

1-¾ Cups Milk
¼ Cup Heavy Cream
¼ LB. Butter ( 1 stick )
2 tsp. vanilla extract ……(or)… for flavor variation ( 1 tsp. vanilla + 1 tsp. almond extract ) or whatever flavoring of your choice.
2 Large Eggs
1/8 tsp. powdered cinnamon
1-½ tsp. Granulated Instant Yeast
1 tsp. table salt
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar ..( Free of lumps )
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a bowl.. Add: flour… Yeast…Sugar… Brown Sugar… Cinnamon… Salt. Whisk together well.
In a small sauce pan….melt butter, then add cream and Milk…Then on low heat, stir the mixture just until the butter is able to be mixed together with the cream and milk, but not heated over luke warm.
Add the milk and butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Whisk together well.
In a small bowl….whip the eggs and vanilla or other flavoring (s), and then add to the milk and flour mixture. Whisk in well
Pour into a large covered container (the mix will triple in size when fully raised) and place in the refrigerator overnight…or at least for 8 hours.
When ready to cook, take out of refrigerator and stir. The batter will drop. This is normal……ladle on to the preheated Iron & Cook according to your waffle iron directions. TIP = *I spray or brush the heated iron with a little cooking oil for the first waffle bake.
NOTE:
This batter, I have also used to make Belgian Waffles .
On the other hand, thinning out with a little bit of milk
Makes great Pancakes too.
The Batter is a pretty good general purpose one, IMO
*Keeps for three days in the fridge, with no apparent change in the finished waffle taste or texture.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried my waffle maker a couple of days ago. The first recipe I used came with the maker. it was awful. No flavor whatsoever. Haven't been able to try Norm's recipe yet 'cause I need to buy some malt powder. I tried Jimmy's recipe this morning. It was easy to mix but it did not rise in the container to triple the size. It didn't rise at all. No matter, I used it anyway. They are delicious! Excellent flavor, crunch and color. Definitely a keeper. Next up Norm's recipe.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Great to have a tasty waffle you can enjoy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I tried my waffle maker a couple of days ago. The first recipe I used came with the maker. it was awful. No flavor whatsoever. Haven't been able to try Norm's recipe yet 'cause I need to buy some malt powder. I tried Jimmy's recipe this morning. It was easy to mix but it did not rise in the container to triple the size. It didn't rise at all. No matter, I used it anyway. They are delicious! Excellent flavor, crunch and color. Definitely a keeper. Next up Norm's recipe.

Mine didn't rise once, but that was the yeast was old and outdated.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had new yeast.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea & I wanted to try the casing wieners and potato pierogies from the Polish Deli for our lunch today. The casing wieners puffed up to super huge on the grill and the casings got nice and crunchy...the pierogies were good, just browned a bit in brown butter and onions.

Definately a lunch I'd do again!

June, 2017....Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch IMG_20170618_131018074

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, I love pirogues from the Polish Store.. they are so good. yes, sautéed in butter is awesome.. and with a bit of onion is even better. I usually eat it with a huge dollop of sour cream!! or is that a no-no for you?? Polish Heaven!

You should try the kielbasa from the Polish store. It is so good! Also try some of the beet horseradish... yummy with ham or kielbasa and the Polish Bread...

All from my childhood..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Darn! I forgot all about the sour cream for the pierogies! What was I thinking???? LOL

I'm not a huge fan of the kielbasa, a bit too much garlic for my system. But they did have lots of different mustards, sauerkraut, beet horseradish and pickles lining the shelves.

The casing wieners were a winner for me for sure! I love the crunch of the casing.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I just made this, so good.. I added some chopped jalapeno, I used instant ( box ) hash brown

INGREDIENTS
4 red potatoes
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs, whisked
¼ cup chives, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon pepper

PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200˚C.
2. Peel and grate the potatoes.
3. Drop shredded potatoes into a large bowl of ice water to remove surface starch.
4. Strain or squeeze potato shreds and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add butter, cheese, eggs, chives, garlic salt, oregano, and pepper in with the shredded potatoes. Mix together.
6. Take a handful of the mixture and pack it on a baking sheet into desired hash brown shape.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until brown and crispy. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahmars/xx-hashbrown-recipes-cause-theyre-the-greatest-breakfast-car?bffbtasty&ref=bffbtasty&utm_term=.jcZppkaylq#.klbddo0j6J

June, 2017....Breakfast, Brunch or Lunch DSCN6558

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum! I love the crispy edges....

It reminds me of my homemade German potato pancakes.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made something similar with my waffle iron the other day. Very tasty!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum