Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 17]

301June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a meatloaf with mashed potatoes, and spinach wilted with onions and tomatoes.

302June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

pic of din din .....

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 E3P28L

303June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, boy......here's Jimmy's pic of his BUTTERED potatoes~

Actually, the whole meal looks great.

304June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, boy......here's Jimmy's pic of his BUTTERED potatoes~

And the Butter Police detective lady watched me drop the wad of butter on top. Said Nothing! tongue

305June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I went to Costco and bought a package of baby back ribs to try out on the smoker. I cut the slab into thirds to try different rubs and sauces. I followed the 3-2-1 method. The ribs were done early and were moist and fell off the bone. They had a nice smoke ring. The one thing I didn't like is that they tasted a bit gamey to me. I don't know if it was the wood (hickory) or the meat itself. None of the sauces or rubs were quite right either. I guess I will do some more research on the net.

306June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 am

NormM

NormM

My favorite rib rub.

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper

1. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, onion powder, white pepper and black pepper.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

307June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. I will give it a try next time. Is it for anything specific or just all purpose?

308June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="Imelda HL
Dirk love artichoke hearts, we grow some, and he likes to cook them in the microwave, then dip the petals and heart in melted butter.. sometime I bought them at Costco, 2 jars for a bit more than $10 ( don't remember how much exactly )

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 18557482_10213397545439463_679508006547435181_n[/quote]

Wow, Imelda, I can't believe you guys can grow artichokes.  I love them stuffed and have a good recipe for them if you want to make them for Dirk.  You stuff the artichoke first (and I have a very easy way to stuff them, too) and then steam them.  You eat them the same way Dirk does, pulling off the leaves, but this way you pull off the leaf full of spicy breadcrumb stuffing instead of dipping them in butter.  They are delicious!

The reason the ones you bought at Costco were kind of pricey, Imelda, is 'cause you bought them "marinated."  They're much cheaper if you just buy them in the can and you can marinate them yourself.  See the picture of the can of them that I posted earlier.  They're not cheap, of course, but they're a lot cheaper than the ones marinated in olive oil.  Plus, you could add some of your delicious peppers to your own marinade -- yummy!

And just so you know, if you buy the hearts whole, like the can in my picture, they're more expensive than if you buy them halved or quartered, which I usually do unless the whole ones are on sale. You can cut them in half or quarters yourself and save some money per can.

309June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 IMG_20170624_173913459_HDR

Beth, this looked absolutely delicious. Bet Lyn enjoyed it as well. Such a pretty combo on the plate that it made me hungry just looking at it!

310June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Normally I'd say the price difference and taste difference didn't match but with Costco brisket compared to the price of choice of brisket elsewhere, it's definitely better and worth it.

If you don't consider price, Norm, do you notice an appreciable difference in flavor between the choice brisket and the prime one? I'm curious...

311June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I had one last half of a small pork tenderloin in the freezer that was begging me to cook it.....but I was pretty sure it was going to pour down so the grill was out.

Then I saw the leftover rice from the last week and decided on some sweet & sour pork with vegetables & pineapple tidbits in a sweet & sour sauce.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 IMG_20170625_171746469

This not only looks delicious but it looks LEGIONS better than that dayglow orange stuff Chinese restaurants tend to use in their sweet and sour pork. Normally when we get Chinese food, I tell Brian I am NOT ordering that as every time he gets it, he says I was right, that it sucks. Since he wanted to get Chinese for his birthday, I ordered it. He said he liked it but I think he was just saying that, as it was worse than I remembered. Not only was the sauce cloyingly sweet, but the pork pieces tasted lousy as well, kind of tough and "loose" inside a thick inappropriate breading. I think they were overcooked in oil that wasn't hot enough before they stuck them in that horrible sauce.

Tell me how you make yours, Beth, so I can make THAT for Brian!

312June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:pic of din din .....

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 E3P28L

Boy, Jimmy, as I said before, I'm not even a meatloaf girl but this looks divine! Those mashed potatoes look yummy and your spinach with tomatoes is the perfect side to the taters and meatloaf.

313June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:Oh, boy......here's Jimmy's pic of his BUTTERED potatoes~
Laughing
And the Butter Police detective lady watched me drop the wad of butter on top. Said Nothing!  tongue

You had me giggling over your butter remark, Jimmy. All you'd have to do is break out that picture of Tina's buttered toast to show her next time she comments about one wad of butter! I swear, I laughed so hard when you showed us that that it's got me laughing all over again just thinking about it!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Very Happy

314June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I went to Costco and bought a package of baby back ribs to try out on the smoker. I cut the slab into thirds to try different rubs and sauces. I followed the 3-2-1 method. The ribs were done early and were moist and fell off the bone. They had a nice smoke ring. The one thing I didn't like is that they tasted a bit gamey to me. I don't know if it was the wood (hickory) or the meat itself. None of the sauces or rubs were quite right either. I guess I will do some more research on the net.

I think hickory is one of the best flavors for most things on the smoker, Debbie. Can you use more than one flavor, like hickory and cherry, or hickory and peach? Sometimes one of those fruit woods adds a nice touch to the hickory. I'm really not familiar with pellet smokers so I'm unsure if you can combine woods in them. Did your husband and roommate like them?

315June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Michelle wrote, "Let me know if you want to know what happened and if you'd like the recipe I entered. I still make the recipe when the main ingredient is available and it still tastes good to us and everyone I made it for. Beth, I'm afraid it has cheese in it...."

YES ~ I want to know how your story ended (was this a TEST to see if we really read what you write???? Hahahahaha! And it's OK if your recipe has cheese, I can deal with it.

(at least I THINK I can.....)

Not a test, Beth, but I do realize how long my messages often are so I worry that I'm driving some of you crazy. I saw how long that one was and figured I would finish it another time.

I will finish the story and post my recipe later on today, as I've got to sign off for a while. The best is, the first time I made the recipe at home (and wrote down what I did), Brian was just "okay" about it -- he didn't have seconds, which was pretty telling. Later on he swore I'd changed it but I hadn't changed a thing as I was really pleased with it the very first time I made it.

One funny part I'll tell you is that I needed the day off to go to the cook-off so I asked the female attorney I was temping for (working someone's pregnancy leave for the female partner and a male associate to supplement my income the first time I worked as a contract paralegal out of my home) about it. She smiled and said, I'll give you the day off but on one condition. You have to make your entry and bring it to work so we can try it out!" I laughed, as it was a very, very nice firm (very mellow, and they not only ordered weekly flowers for the conference rooms and front desk, but they also put them in the employee dining room, on each of the four tables in there; they also supplied free soda, and free canned fruit juices for the employees; AND they put a Louisiana lottery ticket in each employee's pay envelope every two weeks). And I did indeed do that -- made them for the section group and all the other attorneys who showed up in the kitchen while I was heating them up in the microwave wanting to know what they were smelling -- but I also made them for the appetizer for a wedding shower/luncheon that female partner had for a female associate during the work week. I was sooo tickled that they invited me to the shower; 'course I docked my time for it which she probably wouldn't have wanted me to do but I thought it was so nice to be included. They also had a surprise luncheon for me in a local hotel my last day of work there; it helped a lot that about 80% of the people in that section couldn't stand the girl I replaced for three months; she "visited" a couple of times during my stint and I could see why that hated her-- she was indeed a witch with a capital B!!!

It's funny 'cause during my 90 days there, the staff kept telling me that my enthusiasm for what a nice firm it was and how blessed they were for all the nice things the firm did for them (including letting them raid ALL the flower arrangements on Friday afternoon to take home as they wouldn't make it the weekend in the hot offices), made them all realize (and to some, remember) how good they had it. They'd just gotten used to all the "spoils" and had forgotten how cheap and stingy so many law offices are -- no lie, down here anyway. Some firms made the employees pay a monthly fee if they planned to drink the coffee they had to make for attorneys, guests and depositions (which they had you SERVE to the depo attendees if they didn't have large coffee thermoses)! I always thought this was so cheap as they could write it off as an expense and I'm sure they did!

See how I go on and on and on? I'm so sorry if I bore some of you to tears...

316June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Yes prime tastes better. It has more fat. It has to taste better, right?   My favorite all around wood for smoking is apple.  In Texas, were they smoke a lot of beef, one of the  most popular woods is oak. (Not mesquite- it burns too hot for smoking, but it's OK for grilling)

Here is something I saved from a while back.

Wood Flavor Chart - Cooking.com Forums
ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BEECH - The wood of the Beechnut produces a mild, somewhat delicate smoked flavor. Since it is a hardwood, it remains longer for smoking before it turns to ash. Similar to, but not as sweet as hickory, more like pecan.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

Also ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:

Never use lumber scraps, either new or used. First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used. For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained. Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.
Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets. Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat.

317June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Norm. I will give it a try next time. Is it for anything specific or just all purpose?

I use it for everything but it was designed for pork ribs.  I don't know if they have it out there but there is one here that I like. It's Plowboys BBQ Yardbird rub. It was made for chicken and pork. but I use it on hamburgers all the time.

318June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Dinner last night was seafood chowder............. that may be dinner for the next week too, for I made waaaayy too much. Bass season opened on Saturday, so I had fresh bass on Saturday, and my fisherman son kept two large carcasses for me with lots of meat left on. Then I found a huge fresh salmon head in a grocery store, cooked those three to make a pot of broth, then I added some shrimp, squid, and small octopus that I bought frozen. Lots of potatoes, spices and cream at the last. It is a big pot full. I think I have to go up and down the hallways here in the building and give a bunch away!

319June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, I know you have a sprializer. Have you ever tried it on carrots? I am asking because tonight I had some frozen spiralized carrots from Trader Joes. They were awesome!!

I heated them the way TJ did for their sample: I defrosted, in a fry pan with a bit of EVOO. After cooking, I added a pat of butter and a tiny bit of Feta cheese!! OMG!! never knew carrots could be so delicious!

I also had a George Foreman Grilled pork tenderloin which I basted in a Teriyaki/Pineapple/sesame see concoction from TJ's also.

Felt good to have something besides a salad or chicken. and something new.

320June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have a spiralizer, have tried carrots.  They were really hard to do, and ended up more like a crescent shaped moon.  The same with radishes.  Both were not worth the effort to me.  I like using the spiralizer, but only use it when I have company or am taking something perhaps to a pot luck here in the building or to a party.  Too much PITA for just one person.

P.S. I hadn't thought about it but using a daikon radish would work on the spiralizer!

321June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn....I have a hand-held spiral cutter ($1.99 @ Aldi's ~ only carried them one time that I saw.) But I have an OXO Julienne Cutter ~ I'll see if I can find my pic of it. It looks like a hand held potato peeler but has little 'wings' by the slicing blade that cuts zucchini squash, potatoes & carrots into a fine julienne. I usually make a medley of green & yellow zucchini squash, carrots & onion and lightly saute or stir fry. I never was tempted to spend the money on a stand-alone countertop spiralizer machine. I didn't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost for someone as cheap as me!

But now that you can find the stuff in the frozen foods section, I say....GO FOR IT! It's not like you're feeding a family of six. I've changed my mind 180° on convenience foods in the last year or so. I now regularly buy something like 'add water only' pancake mix to have on hand for making pancakes or waffles for ONE PERSON. I can just shake out a little bit, stir in some water and I'm good to go. The same for those 'salad kits' that I get at Sam's Club or WalMart....they have the chopped kale, shaved brussels sprouts, etc. as well as a pouch of salad dressing and a bag of crunchy stuff....just enough for one salad. Then I don't have to buy a bag of dried cranberries, peppitas, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, etc. It's all there and fairly inexpensive.

And speaking of carrots, Cyn.....check out my supper pic coming up. We might just get you to be a veggie convert yet!

PS-try looking for spiralized sweet potatoes and cook them the same way. OR, better yet, try peeling a sweet potato and slice to eat raw, like you would carrot & celery. SURPRISE!

322June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had a car that needed to go into the dealership for service in Orlando so we left at 9:30 this morning and spent the day putzin' around Orlando.  We went to a mall and she found some clothes.  We were at a mall we don't normally stop at and we came across a home decorating store with the most affordable stuff.  We put together a little silver/black vase & artificial flower arrangement for her house that was really cute.

Then, when we were driving to the dealership we passed a Smash Burger Restaurant.  OMG!  I didn't know Orlando had that restaurant.  My grandchildren asked me to take them to the one by their house in Indiana one time when I was babysitting them because their parents were out of town.  My Tori told me I'd LOVE the vegetable frittes ~ and she was right!  They're nothing more than raw green beans and carrot sticks that are flash-fried in oil (I assume the same as the french fry fryer) and simply seasoned with a garlic/parsley salt.  

I had told Lyn about the place so she was game to go there for a late lunch.  Turns out they have ground beef burgers, chicken breast sandwiches, ground turkey burgers (Lyn's favorite) and vegetarian bean burgers ~ all with your choice of bun and toppings.  

I got Lyn hooked on fried dill pickles a few years ago so she got a side order of those and I got the vegetable frittes and we split them.  It was just what I was hungry for....and what I commonly refer to as my 'fat fix' meal....anything deep fried constitutes a good 'fat fix' for a fat junkie like me!  LOL

And, Jimmy, you would have loved the burger....it's like an old fashioned butter burger ~ ball of meat on a buttered flat top griddle smashed down and crispy on the irregular edges ~ Hence the name, Smash Burger!

Lyn was amazed at the taste of the still al dente fried vegetables....they're a little greasy but they still TASTE healthy!  Hahahahahaha

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 IMG_20170626_171451556_HDR

323June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 pm

NormM

NormM

That looks good Beth. On an impulse I got short ribs at the Asian market yesterday and corn at the store today and made Kalbi and corn on the grill. I used the Weber for the first time in years. I forgot how hot that thing gets. A couple of strips of ribs instantly turned black. The rest were good.June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 20170620

324June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:I had one last half of a small pork tenderloin in the freezer that was begging me to cook it.....but I was pretty sure it was going to pour down so the grill was out.

Then I saw the leftover rice from the last week and decided on some sweet & sour pork with vegetables & pineapple tidbits in a sweet & sour sauce.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 IMG_20170625_171746469

This not only looks delicious but it looks LEGIONS better than that dayglow orange stuff Chinese restaurants tend to use in their sweet and sour pork.  Normally when we get Chinese food, I tell Brian I am NOT ordering that as every time he gets it, he says I was right, that it sucks.  Since he wanted to get Chinese for his birthday, I ordered it.  He said he liked it but I think he was just saying that, as it was worse than I remembered.  Not only was the sauce cloyingly sweet, but the pork pieces tasted lousy as well, kind of tough and "loose" inside a thick inappropriate breading.  I think they were overcooked in oil that wasn't hot enough before they stuck them in that horrible sauce.  

Tell me how you make yours, Beth, so I can make THAT for Brian!

Gosh, Michelle....I'm almost embarrassed to say how I make this. But I will if you promise not to laugh. It comes from a time when Chinese food was from a LaChoy Chinese Vegetable CAN. Actually, I think the base recipe came from my wedding shower red gingham loose leaf cookbook, Better Homes & Gardens NEW Cook Book.

As usual, I don't really have a recipe and you can adjust for what you like or what you have in the refrigerator.

I do like to use a little pork tenderloin (I use about 10 oz. for the two of us, but you might like more or less). I cut it up into bite size pieces. I usually use onion, carrot, celery, ALWAYS red pepper (because it's so pretty) and a small can of pineapple tidbits.

I stir fry the pork over medium high heat in grapeseed or canola oil (flavorless) and may or may not add a few drops of sesame oil. When the pork is mostly cooked and browned I remove it and dump it in the serving bowl (it will be re-added to the wok or skillet to finish cooking after the vegetables are cooked.

Then I stir fry the vegetables a bit (here's where it gets weird.....don't laugh). When all the veg is in the wok I add about 1 c. to 1-1/2 c. of boxed chicken stock, add a lid and bring it to a boil and let it simmer until it's tender...or still crisp, depending upon my mood.

Meanwhile, I drain the pineapple. To the pineapple juice I add 1/4 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. cider vinegar, a few 'glugs' of soy sauce and a heaping spoonful of cornstarch.

When the veg is as tender as you like it, stir in the pineapple tidbits and return the pork to the pot. Return to a boil and stir in the seasoning slurry ~ boil for 1 minute and it's ready to serve. We like it over Trader Joe's brown rice but you can use whatever you like, including a can of LaChoy Chow Mein Noodles!

I've been making this with pork or chicken for the last 50+ years and I haven't changed much about how I make it in all that time. I know I add way more stock than the original recipe called for but that's because my family likes it 'saucy'.

325June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:That looks good Beth.  On an impulse I got short ribs at the Asian market yesterday and corn at the store today and made Kalbi and corn on the grill. I used the Weber for the first time in years.  I forgot how hot that thing gets.  A couple of strips of ribs instantly turned black. The rest were good.June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 13 20170620

Oh, Norm, that looks SO good.

Were your ears burning this afternoon? I was talking to Lyn about you. LOL We passed another 'new to us' restaurant in Orlando. If it's a Korean BBQ and Bulgogi restaurant does that mean they have the tables with the cooking grill in the table that you cook your meal yourself? I wasn't sure but thought you could give me some insight. OR we could just stop and check it out!

And now, after discussing just THAT meal, THERE IT IS! What a coincidence!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum