Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 17]

276June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:We love KFC too, once in a while we would go and get some, we have Church's chicken too, I like them more than KFC, they are crispier and have more flavor, but we have to drive 45 miles round trip to get them.

We preferred Church's as well, Imelda, 'cause it's so crispy. But several years ago, a group of local Palestinian gentlemen began opening convenient stores called Brothers', the type of store that has gas pumps outside. They all also sell fried chicken that they make on the premises. Not only is it as good as Church's, but the pieces are much bigger; the last couple times we got Church's chicken, we could not believe how small the pieces were. I wondered where they got such tiny chickens -- no lie! Brothers' chicken is delicious too, really crispy and cheaper than the chains are. They sell different size assortments but we usually get enough to have leftovers, so we get 4 breasts and 4 thighs; when Brian goes to pick some up, they usually fry them while he waits so they come home nice and hot. They taste really good cold as well, whereas I never found Church's as good the next day, as something would change in their crispy crust.

It's funny as Brian always claims he prefers white meat and I prefer dark, even though we both eat both. But the last couple of times we've gotten fried chicken, he has eaten one, once two, of the thighs, as he "thought they were breasts." The thighs are big but I just laugh at him as if he's not that keen on dark meat, why doesn't he stop eating the thigh once he bites into it! He says it takes him a bit to realize it and by then, he has eaten too much to put it back in the box. One time, he ate two of my thighs! Of course, I then claimed two of his breasts!! The man obviously likes them both!!

277June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 pm

NormM

NormM

This is the first time I made this.  The ingredients listed 3 eggs but after I put them in, I found out that one of them was supposed to be for the glaze.  That meant with an extra egg, I had to add more flour.  About 20 minutes before it would be ready to punch down, Charlie needed me to go with him to the vet.  I put the dough in the refrigerator, thinking we'd be back in around half an hour.  Turns out we were gone three hours.  The dough being cold, needed more time to rise in the bread pans and longer to bake because there was a bigger recipe.  The top of the crust got a little darker, having been in the oven longer but all things considered, it turned out OK. The cat is OK too.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170611
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170610

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

278June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I guess the bread man cometh. A couple sticks of butter, and you guys will be all set!

That bread would make nice thick slices of French toast.
That's one thing we haven't had in a long time!

279June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had steaks on the grill. Tina made a Krafts Box of mac and cheese.
She ate a 2 inch piece of steak. She found out a new thing. If she drinks a coke or pepsi with her meal, it seems to open up the stomach, and allow food to pass through.

280June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda....how long have you had your jalapeno pepper plants in the garden?  I've never heard or seen any that turned into trees.  Bet that's easier to pick from than the little, short bushes.  Do you save the dried ones for your chili paste or do they have too much moisture in the beginning and just rot?

OK, Michelle....you got me.  I've got it copied to do a Google search, but I've never heard of "Herbsaint".  I assume it's a local product that is used commonly in creole or cajun dishes, much like I've never seen "file" around here....oh, wait, I did see it once at Penzey's (Sassafras).  One of the food blogs I frequent, deepsouthdish.com, was constantly promoting her favorite cajun seasoning, "Slap Ya Mama", and I was SO excited to find it sold at my local WalMart.  I've used it a couple times but a certain Mr. Amazing doesn't care for the flavor of the spices.....go figure.

Also, in the second recipe, it calls for artichoke hearts and also artichoke bottoms. Aren't they the same thing? I know it's not a common ingredient for me (Mr. Guess-Who isn't a fan, wouldn't you know?) but maybe I've just not had to go searching in a store for the different varieties of canned artichokes.

Oh, wow....is THIS what they're talking about:  "Herbsaint is a brand name of anise-flavored liquor currently produced by the Sazerac Company and originally made in New Orleans, Louisiana."

Norm, you did good on 'fixing' the problem of the extra egg in your bread.....your experience paid off.  The loaves may not be 'perfect' (as yours usually are) but you wouldn't have to apply much force for me to finish off one or two (or six) slices of that homemade bread!

Jimmy ~ it's interesting you mentioned Ms. Tina seems to be able to eat more easily when she has Coke or Pepsi with her meal.  I occasionally watch that program about the doctor in Dallas who specializes in bariatric surgery for morbidly obese, "My 600 Pound Life".  He made a comment about one of his patients who said she had been going back to drinking her diet soda.....he said the carbonation causes the stomach to stretch out and if she didn't stop she'd be back where she started.  Now, that's not Tina's problem.  Tina is having difficulty getting much of anything down....so maybe the carbonation will help.  If she's uncomfortable drinking the diet or sugary drinks she might try some of the carbonated flavored waters.  Dane likes the lemon flavored LaCroix brand of sparkling water.  It doesn't have any calories in it but is a refreshing drink for him.

I had my annual mammogram yesterday....what a treat that was!  N*O*T !!!  I had the 'sadist technician' who wanted to be sure she got everything mashed flatter than a pancake!  I also had to have a CT chest scan (my doc found out my insurance would cover it so that's just a money-maker for the practice!).  The tech there wanted me to have my head elevated on a pillow and then have my arms above my head.  My left shoulder was the one I had broken many years ago and it's not as flexible as it should be.  I couldn't wait for the test to be over.

Needless to say, I wasn't in the best of moods when I got home (I'm a whiney baby when it comes to any doctor or dentist procedures) so when Dane mentioned he had a 15% off coupon in an ad from Outback Steak House I thought it was a good idea.  We both agreed to order the $15.99 House Sirloin and Crab special.....HE took the steaks and I got his crab.  Ended up being a pound of snow crab and I ate most but gave him the last two big legs (I had to crack and pull the meat out for him).  He likes the taste of crab but complains that it is just too much work to crack the leg segments and 'pick' the meat out.  Good thing he wasn't one of the cavemen who had to forage for food!  He doesn't like doing much 'work' and prefers having it presented 'ready-to-eat' on his plate.  LOL

281June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:46 pm

NormM

NormM

I just had a chicken salad sandwich with the milk bread. And it does say it makes good French Toast.

I went to Costco yesterday to get a brisket to smoke today. It has been in the smoker now for almost 5 hours and will probably go for another four or five more. It's the first one I have done in at least a year. I was really surprised that USDA Prime was only 3. 29 a pound. I don't remember it being that cheap but I remember a regular butcher shop several miles away had choice for about three times as much. Costco is a ten minute drive from here.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170612

282June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Imelda....how long have you had your jalapeno pepper plants in the garden?  I've never heard or seen any that turned into trees.  Bet that's easier to pick from than the little, short bushes.  Do you save the dried ones for your chili paste or do they have too much moisture in the beginning and just rot?

OK, Michelle....you got me.  I've got it copied to do a Google search, but I've never heard of "Herbsaint".  I assume it's a local product that is used commonly in creole or cajun dishes, much like I've never seen "file" around here....oh, wait, I did see it once at Penzey's (Sassafras).  One of the food blogs I frequent, deepsouthdish.com, was constantly promoting her favorite cajun seasoning, "Slap Ya Mama", and I was SO excited to find it sold at my local WalMart.  I've used it a couple times but a certain Mr. Amazing doesn't care for the flavor of the spices.....go figure.

Also, in the second recipe, it calls for artichoke hearts and also artichoke bottoms.  Aren't they the same thing?  I know it's not a common ingredient for me (Mr. Guess-Who isn't a fan, wouldn't you know?) but maybe I've just not had to go searching in a store for the different varieties of canned artichokes.

Oh, wow....is THIS what they're talking about:  "Herbsaint is a brand name of anise-flavored liquor currently produced by the Sazerac Company and originally made in New Orleans, Louisiana."

Norm, you did good on 'fixing' the problem of the extra egg in your bread.....your experience paid off.  The loaves may not be 'perfect' (as yours usually are) but you wouldn't have to apply much force for me to finish off one or two (or six) slices of that homemade bread!

Jimmy ~ it's interesting you mentioned Ms. Tina seems to be able to eat more easily when she has Coke or Pepsi with her meal.  I occasionally watch that program about the doctor in Dallas who specializes in bariatric surgery for morbidly obese, "My 600 Pound Life".  He made a comment about one of his patients who said she had been going back to drinking her diet soda.....he said the carbonation causes the stomach to stretch out and if she didn't stop she'd be back where she started.  Now, that's not Tina's problem.  Tina is having difficulty getting much of anything down....so maybe the carbonation will help.  If she's uncomfortable drinking the diet or sugary drinks she might try some of the carbonated flavored waters.  Dane likes the lemon flavored LaCroix brand of sparkling water.  It doesn't have any calories in it but is a refreshing drink for him.

I had my annual mammogram yesterday....what a treat that was!  N*O*T !!!  I had the 'sadist technician' who wanted to be sure she got everything mashed flatter than a pancake!  I also had to have a CT chest scan (my doc found out my insurance would cover it so that's just a money-maker for the practice!).  The tech there wanted me to have my head elevated on a pillow and then have my arms above my head.  My left shoulder was the one I had broken many years ago and it's not as flexible as it should be.  I couldn't wait for the test to be over.

Needless to say, I wasn't in the best of moods when I got home (I'm a whiney baby when it comes to any doctor or dentist procedures) so when Dane mentioned he had a 15% off coupon in an ad from Outback Steak House I thought it was a good idea.  We both agreed to order the $15.99 House Sirloin and Crab special.....HE took the steaks and I got his crab.  Ended up being a pound of snow crab and I ate most but gave him the last two big legs (I had to crack and pull the meat out for him).  He likes the taste of crab but complains that it is just too much work to crack the leg segments and 'pick' the meat out.  Good thing he wasn't one of the cavemen who had to forage for food!  He doesn't like doing much 'work' and prefers having it presented 'ready-to-eat' on his plate.  LOL
Thank you Beth for that comment! I think you are right.
It was a miracle that Tina was able to eat steak, and hold it down.
We drink regular sweetened soda pop if we do.
It seems we will get a case of pepsi for her; just so she can eat meats Very Happy .

283June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always feel so bad for her when she has trouble eating / enjoying foods, especially when she makes something amazing (like her braised potatoes, peppers & onions ~ the one I 'stole' and make as often as I can!). If she gets some relief from the carbonation, I say, "GO FOR IT!"

284June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

NormM

NormM

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170619
Here is the brisket. It got done sooner that I expectedJune, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170617

285June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your bread still looks good to me! Maybe looks a little more homemade than your normal "magazine shots" but still looks delicious to me. Mmm, with nice soft butter, I could make a meal of it!

286June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Well, Beth, you obviously figured out what Herbsaint is on your own.  I didn't realize some people wouldn't know what it was or I would've explained. Do you know what pernod is?  It tastes just like Herbsaint!  There's a pretty well known cocktail (invented down here, of course) called a Sazerac; it's kind of similar to an Old Fashioned but the inside of the glass is coated with pernod first, and then the drink is poured into the glass.  

Oysters Rockefeller also has pernod in the original recipe (and NO spinach), though all of the published recipes usually contain spinach.  I'll eat Oysters Rockefeller unless too much pernod is used; but lots of restaurants that still make them don't even use pernod.  I prefer Oysters Bienville!

There's an artichoke bottom and an artichoke heart, Beth.  The tender leaves that comprise the heart are usually on top of the artichoke bottom.  I'm going to post a picture of an artichoke cut in half so you can see both the heart and the bottom. The heart is usually separated from the bottom but when you steam your own or make stuffed artichokes, you can see them plainly...

Also are cans of both, and a photo of what the bottoms look like outside the can.  I like 'em, as does Brian.  You can stuff them with stuff, too!  I don't know if you've heard of Eggs Sardou but they're made with artichoke bottoms.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Half%20artichoke_zpsh0njkodx

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Arti%20hearts_zpsqotqe7rl

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Artil%20bottoms_zpsivnprjg0

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Arti-bottoms_zpslhhdboym

287June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Imelda....how long have you had your jalapeno pepper plants in the garden?  I've never heard or seen any that turned into trees.  Bet that's easier to pick from than the little, short bushes.  Do you save the dried ones for your chili paste or do they have too much moisture in the beginning and just rot?

I think Imelda just referred to it as a "tree" due to its shape, Beth. My plant is a center stem with leaves all around it with jalapeños hanging from them so it LOOKS like a small little tree -- more like a tree than a bush though we call them bushes, too. Of course, maybe I'm wrong and maybe a jalapeño is a perennial there and not an annual?! Shocked

Maybe she'll come back soon and clarify... cherry

288June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

What's funny, Michelle, is that I've cooked artichokes a number of times but I guess I never thought about what the different parts were called. I've made artichoke dip (with cream cheese, sour cream, etc.) but never considered they sold the artichoke 'bottoms' in a separate can....just thought they were all artichoke hearts. Live and learn!

Lyn came for supper tonight. Bill had a dinner in Orlando and she was on her own. Simple dinner I knew she'd appreciate. Grilled chicken thighs (boneless/skinless/fat removed) with an Asian glaze I threw together, roasted carrots & parsnips & Trader Joe's Brown Rice. I had made some little colored peppers with chive cream cheese to have with drinks and had the rest with supper.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 IMG_20170624_173913459_HDR

289June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:Imelda....how long have you had your jalapeno pepper plants in the garden?  I've never heard or seen any that turned into trees.  Bet that's easier to pick from than the little, short bushes.  Do you save the dried ones for your chili paste or do they have too much moisture in the beginning and just rot?

I think Imelda just referred to it as a "tree" due to its shape, Beth.  My plant is a center stem with leaves all around it with jalapeños hanging from them so it LOOKS like a small little tree -- more like a tree than a bush though we call them bushes, too.  Of course, maybe I'm wrong and maybe a jalapeño is a perennial there and not an annual?!   Shocked  

Maybe she'll come back soon and clarify... cherry

Yeah.. it's about 4' tall, it's "skinny", it has only a few branches, we have it for several years, Dirk planted it in a big pot and put it on our porch, so it's shady and has a few hours sun light everyday, and frankly speaking, I don't know the difference of trees and plants, in my mother language, we call all of them TREE Wink

290June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How interesting.....I did not realize a jalapeno pepper plant was a perennial and not and annual plant that needed to be planted fresh each year. I must have been a terrible gardener when I had them because I bought fresh plants every year and when the growing season was over I pulled out the plants and tossed them.

291June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Yeah.. it's about 4' tall, it's "skinny", it has only a few branches, we have it for several years, Dirk planted it in a big pot and put it on our porch, so it's shady and has a few hours sun light everyday, and frankly speaking, I don't know the difference of trees and plants, in my mother language, we call all of them TREE  Wink

bethk wrote:How interesting.....I did not realize a jalapeno pepper plant was a perennial and not and annual plant that needed to be planted fresh each year.  I must have been a terrible gardener when I had them because I bought fresh plants every year and when the growing season was over I pulled out the plants and tossed them.

Laughed, Imelda, as for once in my life, I seemed to be on the right track. And, no, Beth, I think in your climate in OH, they were most definitely an annual. I think a couple of times over the past 20 or so years, a jalapeno plant has made it to another season for us, but not that often. It could probably happen where you are in Florida now, too, but I think Imelda probably has the edge in AZ because of the dryness of her climate. I think our humidity, and particularly our humidity in winter, would do the plant in most winters. I usually let mine "go" until it dies on its own or looks so much like death that I pull it up. I think when we have an unusually mild winter is when mine makes it to "the other side." Once I see it's got a chance, I usually start looking after it. Last year we actually had a tomato (also in a pot) make it to the following year -- and we got a couple of tomatoes from it, too, before it gave up the ghost...

Like Imelda, I always grow mine in a pot -- I guess so it's up on the deck and I have easy access to a jalapeno when I need one. I've got to say that jalapenos are some of the easiest plants I've ever grown. I might purchase some other pepper seeds to try out some more.

One plant I really want to grow is Thai basil. I love it when we have pho and I want to use it when I really buckle down and try to make my version of an authentic pho. I say my version as I've read some Vietnamese recipes that take days to perfect their stock; that's a bit too much for me. But with homegrown bean sprouts and fresh grown-at-home Thai basil, I'll bet I could make a batch of beef pho that would please the two of us.

Anyone else like pho? God, it's so good! I can really make a pig out of myself when eating it. How about you, Imelda, have you ever eaten pho?

292June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:52 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170619
Here is the brisket. It got done sooner that I expectedJune, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 20170617

Norm, your brisket looks yummy. I still cannot get over the fact that prime brisket is even sold (I've never seen it down here), and that you get it for such a reasonable price. Do you notice a difference in taste and/or texture from the choice brisket? I'm going to have to see if my BIL maintained his Costco membership after my sister passed away. He might have indeed done so as he enjoys cooking as much as we do.

They always ate dinner very late in the evening -- for one thing, Charlotte was available for things, including dinner, WHEN SHE WAS READY and that was that. If you had to wait for her an hour or more when you planned to go somewhere, she had no problem with that and said people were "whining" when anyone complained (or left without her, which I'd done in the past). It was terribly annoying if she invited you to come over for a special dinner; she'd often call 10 minutes before we left the house and tell us not to come for 2 hours; then she'd have no hesitation to call back and push it back again for another hour or two. So an original time of 1 p.m. could often end up being 5 or 6 p.m....

This included dinner time when it was just she and her husband. But Ed started dinner late all the time due to work constraints and he often decided to make things spontaneously, so he'd end up going to the store the same night he'd make something perhaps for the first time. It wasn't odd for them to eat at 10 p.m. or later. Brian and I, having no kids, always enjoyed eating dinner later than most, as we'd have cocktails and some type of appetizer we'd throw together or already had made, and watch the news when we first came home from work. But our usual dinner hour was about 8 or 8:30. Now Ed has his office in half of a double that he owns next to the house he lives in; so he has access all day to his house and his kitchen. But old habits die hard so I'm going to have to ask him if he still eats dinner so late...

293June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

It's a shame Dane doesn't care for artichoke hearts, Beth.  I love 'em and find them very versatile.  The bottoms taste much the same but have a different texture.  Now that we've talked about the bottoms, I'm going to have to make something with them, as both cans artichoke hearts and artichoke bottoms are cabinet staples in our house.  

I make artichoke cakes with lemon caper mayonnaise, something I developed when I wanted crab cakes one time but didn't want to make something Brian wouldn't eat.  I sat for ages trying to think of something that could approximate the texture of crabmeat so I could use it and I came up with chopped artichoke hearts.  I made them, writing down what I did as I often did for an international cooking forum I was on back then on Fidonet, which was /prior to the Internet coming along.  They not only turned out good but Brian LOVED them.  I made them as an appetizer one Christmas and even got a compliment from my sister, who was in rare attendance that year.  Everyone who came loved them, too.  If the local paper still had their annual recipe/ cooking contest, I would've entered them.

Which leads me to this, as Brian couldn't believe the other day that I'd never told you guys nor shared my recipe.  The last year The Times-Picayune had their contest (of course, no one knew it would be the last year), I entered two recipes.  And one of the recipes, an appetizer I'd concocted, was selected for cooking and judging (judges selected three recipes for each category to go to a huge local high school for a cook off).  I'd followed the contest each year -- the paper printed a tabloid section of winning and submitted recipes afterwards -- and people would bring beautiful serving pieces and a friend or relative to accompany them.  This was in March of 1993, BTW.  Brian sheepishly asked me which of my friends I'd be taking with me and was elated of course when I said I'd considered no one but him!  But alas, they changed the rules and you could bring no one, and could only bring something to use to serve your dish to the judges, and warned you the judges would immediately cut your dish into 1-inch pieces to taste.  

A grand winner was selected each year, and a winner in all categories was selected, from which the grand winner came.  I was a nervous wreck as an elderly woman who'd been a winner so many times in so many categories in previous years that I recognized her name -- Eugenie something or other.  You had to bring everything with you -- all ingredients and anything in the way of equipment you'd use, knives, cutting boards, graters, etc. -- all they would provide was a stove and a sink.  So I got my ingredients ready the night before and went through the motions of "making" my appetizer in the kitchen a couple of times, though I didn't make it.  Just so I wouldn't forget to take any ingredients or implements I needed -- Brian sat and watched and literally wrote down anything I touched, and we were hooting and hollering, holding our sides laughing, before I finally figured my basket of goodies was ready.  

I was so nervous that I took TWICE the amount of every ingredient, just in case I dropped the first batch on the floor.  This, I should mention, did not happen.  Let me know if you want to know what happened and if you'd like the recipe I entered.  I still make the recipe when the main ingredient is available and it still tastes good to us and everyone I made it for. Beth, I'm afraid it has cheese in it....

294June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

NormM

NormM

Normally I'd say the price difference and taste difference didn't match but with Costco brisket compared to the price of choice of brisket elsewhere, it's definitely better and worth it.

295June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda wrote:Yeah.. it's about 4' tall, it's "skinny", it has only a few branches, we have it for several years, Dirk planted it in a big pot and put it on our porch, so it's shady and has a few hours sun light everyday, and frankly speaking, I don't know the difference of trees and plants, in my mother language, we call all of them TREE  Wink

bethk wrote:How interesting.....I did not realize a jalapeno pepper plant was a perennial and not and annual plant that needed to be planted fresh each year.  I must have been a terrible gardener when I had them because I bought fresh plants every year and when the growing season was over I pulled out the plants and tossed them.

Laughed, Imelda, as for once in my life, I seemed to be on the right track.  And, no, Beth, I think in your climate in OH, they were most definitely an annual.  I think a couple of times over the past 20 or so years, a jalapeno plant has made it to another season for us, but not that often.  It could probably happen where you are in Florida now, too, but I think Imelda probably has the edge in AZ because of the dryness of her climate.  I think our humidity, and particularly our humidity in winter, would do the plant in most winters.  I usually let mine "go" until it dies on its own or looks so much like death that I pull it up. I think when we have an unusually mild winter is when mine makes it to "the other side." Once I see it's got a chance, I usually start looking after it.  Last year we actually had a tomato (also in a pot) make it to the following year -- and we got a couple of tomatoes from it, too, before it gave up the ghost...

Like Imelda, I always grow mine in a pot -- I guess so it's up on the deck and I have easy access to a jalapeno when I need one.  I've got to say that jalapenos are some of the easiest plants I've ever grown.  I might purchase some other pepper seeds to try out some more.  

One plant I really want to grow is Thai basil.  I love it when we have pho and I want to use it when I really buckle down and try to make my version of an authentic pho.  I say my version as I've read some Vietnamese recipes that take days to perfect their stock; that's a bit too much for me.  But with homegrown bean sprouts and fresh grown-at-home Thai basil, I'll bet I could make a batch of beef pho that would please the two of us.

Anyone else like pho?  God, it's so good!  I can really make a pig out of myself when eating it.  How about you, Imelda, have you ever eaten pho?

We love Pho, esp Dirk, he could eat the big bowl, he likes everything in it, tendon, brisket, flank,meatballs, sometimes he'd leave out the tripe, I usually ordered without the rice noodles, only lots of bean sprouts and herbs). We have 2 kind of basil plants, Cinnamon basil and lemon basil ( in my country, we use a lot of Lemon basil for our culinary)

Beth, Dirk says Jalapeno is an annual plant, our survive because we have mild winter, and he put it in our green house when winter time, some herbs hibernate in winter but come back again in spring

296June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:36 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I have a funny story to tell you guys about gardening. I used to have a good size garden, full of 12 tomatoes, 12 cucumbers, basil, oregano, and a side area for 'experimental-to-me" plants.

In the separate area I tried different things like lettuce, peppers, etc, to see how they grew in the environment.

One year, I decided to plant peppers. I picked up 4 pepper plants. As the summer went on, they grew like crazy; larger and larger. The part that concerned me was that the peppers themselves did not enlarge from a baby size, but began ripening. I took such good care of them.. weeding, watering, fertilizing, etc.

Finally they started turning red. At this point, I had a light bulb go off, over my head. These peppers were not Bell Peppers, they were the Hot Chili Peppers!! OMG!!

I kind of panicked. What the heck was I going to do with 4 huge plants of Hot peppers??? I cannot eat hot stuff!! Living in an Italian neighborhood, I decided to give them away. The neighbors went crazy for them.. that was at first.

Then the peppers kept growing, and multiplying.. and never-ending.. it was crazy.

I got to the point where I could not give any away, yet the plants kept producing!! and I was ignoring them!! Monster plants....

Needless to say, I pulled them up at the end of the season.

The next year, I made sure I bought the REAL Bell Pepper plants!! And those produced only a few tiny peppers!!!

Go Figure!!!

297June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:Well, Beth, you obviously figured out what Herbsaint is on your own.  I didn't realize some people wouldn't know what it was or I would've explained. Do you know what pernod is?  It tastes just like Herbsaint!  There's a pretty well known cocktail (invented down here, of course) called a Sazerac; it's kind of similar to an Old Fashioned but the inside of the glass is coated with pernod first, and then the drink is poured into the glass.  

Oysters Rockefeller also has pernod in the original recipe (and NO spinach), though all of the published recipes usually contain spinach.  I'll eat Oysters Rockefeller unless too much pernod is used; but lots of restaurants that still make them don't even use pernod.  I prefer Oysters Bienville!

There's an artichoke bottom and an artichoke heart, Beth.  The tender leaves that comprise the heart are usually on top of the artichoke bottom.  I'm going to post a picture of an artichoke cut in half so you can see both the heart and the bottom.  The heart is usually separated from the bottom but when you steam your own or make stuffed artichokes, you can see them plainly...

Also are cans of both, and a photo of what the bottoms look like outside the can.  I like 'em, as does Brian.  You can stuff them with stuff, too!  I don't know if you've heard of Eggs Sardou but they're made with artichoke bottoms.

Dirk love artichoke hearts, we grow some, and he likes to cook them in the microwave, then dip the petals and heart in melted butter.. sometime I bought them at Costco, 2 jars for a bit more than $10 ( don't remember how much exactly )

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 18557482_10213397545439463_679508006547435181_n

298June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:
Finally they started turning red. At this point, I had a light bulb go off, over my head. These peppers were not Bell Peppers, they were the Hot Chili Peppers!! OMG!!

I kind of panicked. What the heck was I going to do with 4 huge plants of Hot peppers??? I cannot eat hot stuff!! Living in an Italian neighborhood, I decided to give them away. The neighbors went crazy for them.. that was at first.

Then the peppers kept growing, and multiplying.. and never-ending.. it was crazy.

I got to the point where I could not give any away, yet the plants kept producing!! and I was ignoring them!! Monster plants....

OMG ~ I am laughing SO HARD! I know you don't care for spicy.....and to tend your pepper plants only to find they are super hot is too, TOO funny! Well, not funny.....not FUNNY AT ALL......No, that's a terrible thing to happen.

Hahahahahahahaha!

299June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle wrote, "Let me know if you want to know what happened and if you'd like the recipe I entered. I still make the recipe when the main ingredient is available and it still tastes good to us and everyone I made it for. Beth, I'm afraid it has cheese in it...."

YES ~ I want to know how your story ended (was this a TEST to see if we really read what you write???? Hahahahaha! And it's OK if your recipe has cheese, I can deal with it.

(at least I THINK I can.....)

300June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had one last half of a small pork tenderloin in the freezer that was begging me to cook it.....but I was pretty sure it was going to pour down so the grill was out.

Then I saw the leftover rice from the last week and decided on some sweet & sour pork with vegetables & pineapple tidbits in a sweet & sour sauce.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 12 IMG_20170625_171746469

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum