Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

26 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup looks good.

We had Philly cheese steaks sandwiches tonight.

I had three sausage link leftovers from the other day.

27 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

bethk

Admin
Tonight was a piece of pork tenderloin....one of those little ones that come two in a package. I trim them up when I get them on sale ~ remove the excess fat and silver skin and cut them into two 10 - 11 oz. pieces, wrap and freeze.

Tonight I seasoned the pork with some Penzey 'Mural of Flavor', a citrus/herb blend, and seared it. I made a sauce of soy, sambal oleck, honey & sesame oil and added some grapes....just because I had them. When the pork was seared I added the grapes and sauce and then put it into the toaster oven at 425° to finish cooking to temperature. Had Penzey seasoned green beans and a baked sweet potato to finish off the meal.

28 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:06 pm

NormM

Johnsonville had a "limited edition" sausage they called "Firecracker"  To me, it tasted like brautwurst with some pepper added. We had them with corn relish and sauerkraut.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

29 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had little pizza's I made with those Whole Wheat Pita breads.

Soup for Tina .

30 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 am

bethk

Admin
NormM wrote:
Johnsonville had a "limited edition" sausage they called "Firecracker"  To me, it tasted like brautwurst with some pepper added. We had them with corn relish and sauerkraut.

I've had those before, Norm. I was expecting a much spicier sausage....and I think the same as you ~ just their regular bratwurst recipe with cayenne added. I would have liked a blend of more complex pepper flavors. So, I stick to the 'original', braised in some beer/water and then crisped and browned on the grill. Funny, but I like to braise mine in beer (usually an inexpensive beer like a 'Bud Lite') but I don't like the beer flavored Johnsonville ones.

Tonight we're going to the annual 'Spring Fling', the last neighborhood get-together with a dinner/dance. They're having TooJay's Restaurant cater it and we'll have roast beef (pot roast) with mashed potatoes, gravy & seasonal vegetables along with a dinner salad & their restaurant made rye bread/dinner rolls. The homeowners' association has booked a well liked DJ, 'Just Mike', to play music & sing, songs from the 1960's that we all know the words to. It's a good time and a way to see our neighborhood friends who will slowly start their trek back to their northern homes (they'll return in the fall). There aren't a majority of us who are year-round owners.

31 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:

I've had those before, Norm.  I was expecting a much spicier sausage....and I think the same as you ~ just their regular bratwurst recipe with cayenne added.  I would have liked a blend of more complex pepper flavors.  So, I stick to the 'original', braised in some beer/water and then crisped and browned on the grill.  Funny, but I like to braise mine in beer (usually an inexpensive beer like a 'Bud Lite') but I don't like the beer flavored Johnsonville ones.

Tonight we're going to the annual 'Spring Fling', the last neighborhood get-together with a dinner/dance.  They're having TooJay's Restaurant cater it and we'll have roast beef (pot roast) with mashed potatoes, gravy & seasonal vegetables along with a dinner salad & their restaurant made rye bread/dinner rolls.  The homeowners' association has booked a well liked DJ, 'Just Mike', to play music & sing, songs from the 1960's that we all know the words to.  It's a good time and a way to see our neighborhood friends who will slowly start their trek back to their northern homes (they'll return in the fall).  There aren't a majority of us who are year-round owners.

Beth, you had mentioned about the hot sausages Firecracker were not as hot as the spicy brats Johnsonville makes originally! You were right! We didn't think the Firecracker ones were that outstandingly hot.

32 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:30 pm

NormM

I browned mine on the stove then steamed them with wine.  I love sausage cooked with beer but I didn't have any.  I agree in that they were not nearly as spicy as I expected them to be.

33 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

My mom used to make beer Meatballs ( Italian ) for my son Jimmy.
He loved them. I never cared for them' and neither did my brother or my dad.
I asked mom??/ where and what possessed her to make that? Well, the answer was, from
Julia Child's recipe!" I guess it was a "60's " thing.
All I can say, is beer in meatballs throws the taste way off the Italian scale.

34 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:39 pm

bethk

Admin
I like beer to cook my brats in and I like to add a little beer to my spicy beef chili once in a while but that's about it. I don't think I'd care for Italian meatballs simmered in beer, although it does seem to go with a spicy tomato sauce.

35 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I like beer to cook my brats in and I like to add a little beer to my spicy beef chili once in a while but that's about it.  I don't think I'd care for Italian meatballs simmered in beer, although it does seem to go with a spicy tomato sauce.

No No ..... silly me, I should have stipulated, the Beer was actually in the meatball mix. i.e. soaking the bread in beer, and or added to the bread crumbs and meat.

36 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm getting hungry. Cleaning out the reefer today.
What a pain. The birds are all sitting in the trees and waiting for more stuff to eat.
Next it'll be me! LOL My mass is enough to feed them for a month, and that's even After the lions get their share! hahahahaha

37 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Shhhhhhrimp Scampi.... for me. Challa bread slices with butter. Ummm

Tina had farina again. Her stomach is in a tizzy.

38 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 pm

NormM

I like beer in chili and smoked sausage and in braised brisket.

39 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I like beer in chili and smoked sausage and in braised brisket.

That'bounce s a true one Norm. I love a beer with pizza or hot dogs; in the summer sitting around a wood fire pit.

40 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:57 pm

bethk

Admin
I pulled a couple pieces of cod out of the freezer ~ I'll slice up some lemon and put the seasoned fish on, seal in foil and cook in about 6 minutes on the gas grill.

I also 'harvested' all my red beet tops to cook. I have enough for one meal for the two of us. There were only about 7 beets that formed some 'fruit' on top of the soil....so I washed them and let them simmer while I cleaned the stems and leaves to get rid of all the grit. I'll use them for 'garnish' since they're about the size of a large pencil eraser! LOL

41 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

NormM

I just got back from the store with stuff for dinner tonight.  I made it easy on myself. I'll grill a couple of steaks and have them with baked potatoes. I also picked up a can of Southwest bean salad.  From the picture on the can, it looks like it might have black and red beans and hominy.  

Charlie asked me to pick up some beef so he can make bulgogi.  At least he said he'd make the marinade.

42 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

It's another one of those clueless what to make for supper days.
Last night was Shrimp Scampi and I'm sick all day so far. I ate way too much shrimp.

Maybe bacon and eggs. ??? I / We shall see.

43 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 pm

bethk

Admin
My baked fish supper was a success!

Unfortunately for me, my phone battery was drained and I took a pic with my little Kodak. But ever since this PC got updated to Microsoft 10 I haven't been able to download any pics from my camera memory stick like I use to.

I hate being a computer moron.....but I just cannot figure it out.

So, TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ~ ~ ~ It was good and I got no complaints other than, "Pretty sad when you have to practically 'weigh' the vegetable to be sure one of us isn't being shorted". LOL

I do have to agree with him. The red beet greens were really good, especially the tiny little red beet 'garnishes'. There just wasn't a whole lot when it all wilted down.

44 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:16 pm

NormM

Here was dinner.

45 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow!... That is a huge baked potato! ...
It all looks so delicious!

46 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I fried some minute steaks and made us a steak sandwich.

47 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm

NormM

It was more potato than I wanted to eat.  I only ate half of the steak too.  Charlie ate everything except the salad.

48 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:22 am

Bugster2

I went to the store and bought 6 NY steaks. They were choice and $3.99/lb. A good buy.
Chicken was also on sale for 77 cents a pound so I loaded up on some bone-in breasts and some thighs.
No dinner for me. joe and Katie went to a restaurant called The Royal Hawaiian. Mostly fish but they have chicken steaks and ribs. It just wasn't my kind of food so I stayed home.

49 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:55 pm

bethk

Admin
The only beef I find for that price (actually $2.99/lb) is ground chuck at Fresh Market on Tuesday...Specials Day.

I bought a small piece of sirloin to use for beef stir fry tonight and it was $5.79/lb.....CRAZY!  But I really wanted beef stir fry (gonna use my garden snow peas I've harvested) and you pay what you have to pay.

I bought an inexpensive pineapple when the kids were here but it didn't get ripe soon enough so I trimmed it up today and I chopped it to use for a pineapple upsidedown cake to share with a couple of the neighbors.  I roasted the chopped fruit for a bit in a hot oven to try to get some of the juice concentrated down.....we'll see if I end up with a huge mess or not.

It sure does smell good.....just gotta wait to see if it's a mushy mess or something proud to share.

WOO HOO !!! I came out of the cast iron skillet without sticking! Bummer is, all the large platters I had got sold or left at my daughter's. I don't have a platter larger in diameter than my cast iron skillet. So, I put a piece of parchment on a pizza pan just so I had someplace for the cake to land. Any port in the storm, so to say.

50 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Bugster2

Joe and Katie had a great time at the Royal Hawaiian. They scarfed up all the appetizers: coconut shrimp, ahi poke, shrimp and scallop wraps and a few other things. They had these exotic cocktails: zombie, a lichee nut martini and s couple other things. Katie said she ws looped on her two drinks. They were there almost 4 hours slowly eating, drinking and people watching.
While they were gone I made a crumb cake and some deviled eggs. I couldn't believe it but they both hit the cake when they got home. Joe likes the crunchy topping and cuts away half the cake and eats the rest.
Tonight is huli huli chicken with a pasta salad and bbq beans.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum