Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

151 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugs...that sounds like a 'Low Country Boil'......easy to adjust to what you have or what you like. The ones I've made that we liked used the lemon & crab boil seasoning, Old Bay & a bit of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning (not the same as their Seafood Boil....more just salt & cayenne). I let the seasonings simmer for 15 - 20 minutes to let the flavors bloom and then added the potatoes. After about 10 minutes I added smoked sausage & corn...cooked another 10 minutes and finally added the shrimp in the shell and turned off the heat, added the lid, for about 5 minutes.

It was easy & tasty.....of course I have to admit I dropped in a stick of butter with the shrimp so everything got a bit of coverage as I pulled the pasta pan up.....can't go wrong with a bit of butter on something like that.

I was planning on pork chops on the grill but Mr. Amazing went to the dentist and wanted something soft. So, 'Plan B' was pulling a quart of chicken & stock out and adding veg & noodles.

152 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:23 pm

NormM

Sounds like a "low country boil".  It usually all dumped out on a newspaper covered picnic table and every one helps themselves. It's messy but good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

153 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Sounds like a "low country boil".  It usually all dumped out on a newspaper covered picnic table and every one helps themselves. It's messy but good.

Much like our crawfish boils and crab boils, Norm.  Of course, there are all kind of "extras" in the boil as well -- new potatoes, corn on the cob, big chunks of sausages, lemon halves and lately at a lot of boils, mushrooms!  My favorites are the potatoes, corn and sausages, as they taste divine when boiled with the crawfish or crabs.  We're so lucky down here that they're so plentiful and reasonably priced.  It's been a very good year for crawfish, too -- lots of 'em and they're good-sized, too.  You can get them now at the grocery -- by the sack, live or boiled, or boiled by the pound. 

I just cleaned out a closet off the kitchen that houses the water heater and ran across some large trays, made and distributed years ago by a beer company, Carlsberg -- I think in the mid-60s.  They're about 13 inches across and we used to use them when we ate boiled crawfish or crabs at home inside (rather than outside which is the preferred location for most people).  They used to hold a big pile of crawfish or crabs yet still had room for the shells/peels. My mom gave them to me years ago and I had them packed away and separated by paper towels so they wouldn't get scratched.  Brian didn't remember seeing them and really flipped out over them.  I haven't seen a Carlsberg for sale in years.

Just searched online to see if I could find a photo of them and I did!  Now I'm going to see if I remember how to use Photobucket to show them to you. They're really cool looking trays and they only have a nick or two on them so they look brand new.

I did it!  I can't believe it I remembered how to do it.

154 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Bugster2

LOL! I know what it is... Did you read the quantities for the ingredients? A laugh and a half! Who ever wrote that recipe must have been half in the bag. 1 1/2 shrimps for 4 people? One artichoke? 1/2 what for the seasoning. A teaspoon, a tablespoon, a bag, a container? What?

155 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

It was my meatloaf tonight.
Tina girl made the mashed potatoes, and heated Bush's Baked beans.
There was no gravy made; and so I added a pat of butter on top my serving of mashed potatoes, to enjoy the taste and way I like to eat. OK??? BUT NOoooooo!
Mother Superior ( as I call her when she is in her She God Mood ) flipped her gourd on me, over that pat of butter.
She said, "I already put a stick of butter in the potatoes when I whipped them!!"
I said then, "So YOU have to have whipped cream on your pie and jello,",,,,and YOU
Have to have Butter on YOUR popcorn, and I say N O T H I N G ! !! "

Silence ..... 5 hours now! ....

156 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 pm

bethk

Admin
Well, I guess you could say......after 51 years the Honeymoon is over, huh?

LOL ~ I'm sorry to laugh. But I've done similar and it's so silly when I think about it later. But at the moment it's like, "IF I went to all the trouble to make something, the least he could do is eat it the way I made it". But, that's all a moot point in this situation.......

BECAUSE I LOVE TO LET THE BUTTER MELT INTO MY MASHED POTATOES, TOO!

(Oh, please DON'T tell Ms. Tina I said that!)

Planning for tonight's supper was easy. I planned to make it last night before Mr. Amazing plead his case for something 'soft' because of his dental work.

So, it was grilled pork chops, grilled sweet potato rounds (par-cooked in the microwave), Penzey seasoned green beans and a Raw Red Beet, Pear & Almond (HIS with Feta) Salad.

The salad is a replica of one I had a couple weeks ago at a little seafood restaurant in St. Augustine when we were there with his sister. I just thought it was really interesting and I wanted to see if Mr. Amazing would like it. He ate all of it - didn't even drop pieces of the raw red beet on the tablecloth! It's nothing I would make every day but it was good for a change-of-pace. I thought it was a good pairing with the pork.

157 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Pork looks great Beth. Salad is interesting.

Today was egg salad sandwiches ( again ).
Tina made a chocolate pudding / banana pie with graham cracker crust.

I will check with the dietitian ( the Ms. ) if it will be ok for me to have some.

158 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 pm

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:. Salad is interesting.

"Salad is interesting".....translated by Mr. Amazing as, "Who in their right mind would eat something like that?????"

Hahahahahaha ~~~ It's OK, I can take the criticism. What can I say? I like raw red beets and I like kale.....which makes me think the salad would be even better if I added shredded kale to it!

159 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:08 pm

NormM

We had pulled pork and roasted green beans with parm & corn relish.

160 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Bugster2

Burgers tonight.

Saw La La Land last night. Was not impressed. I don't know how Emma Stone got best actress. No chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Stone. The only thing i enjoyed were the filming locations across L.A.

My nephew helped film a music video. It started at 6AM and they finished at 2AM. He was exhausted.

161 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 pm

bethk

Admin
I met the neighborhood ladies for lunch....didn't want much for supper.

I ended up making a vegetable omelet for my supper. Mr. Amazing didn't want one so he'll make whatever he thinks sounds good when he gets good and ready.

162 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I made the Greek Style Hot dog sand Hamburger chili sauce. We had chili dogs.
Tina made macaroni salad.

163 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am

Bugster2

Joe and Katie had appetizers at the Royal Hawaiian restaurant. On the way home they stopped for tacos and burritos. Bottomless pits.

164 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Cooking Cooking in the Pot..... Stuffed Cabbages; there are a Lot.
From the freezer to the pan; Jimmy ate them like a man!
Tina will have one; that's for sure on this day,
She really deserves one, or two if she may.

Macaroni salad, and mashed potatoes. ( I will make gravy for my potatoes ).

165 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:52 pm

NormM

I made a Cuban Pork Roast for dinner but got hungry a couple hours early so made Cuban Sandwiches with it.

166 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:57 pm

bethk

Admin
Oh, Man, Jimmy.....I could really use a good stuffed cabbage! I'm fortunate in that when I really want them I can get an 'appetizer' cabbage roll at a local restaurant. Their cabbage rolls are really good.

Norm, Dane would love your supper! He tries Cuban sandwiches whenever he sees them on a menu. I should just make them but it seems to be easier to just suggest we go out for one when he gets the hunger to hit him.

My friend, Lyn, is in Cleveland to visit her dad & his wife to celebrate their 97th and 98th birthdays this week. So, we gave her husband, Bill, a call and asked if he wanted to come over for a chicken dinner. Grilled chicken, microwaved/grilled sweet potato (white potato for Bill), fried corn & beans and a simple lettuce/tomato salad. He was happy with a home cooked meal with Lyn out of town.

167 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 pm

cookingirl

Hey Everyone! I am still here.

I have inherited, because a friend is moving from this building, a brand new electric grill. It is a
"MasterBuilt", whatever that means. It is also an indoor/outdoor grill. I do not plan on using it indoors.

This grill is brand new!! never used. complete with hood and plastic cover.

Now I need some ideas, thoughts on how to use it. It is small, round.. big enough for me!! And it is so shiny on the inside!! I hate to dirty it..

I also have to check out the electrical outlet on the balcony. I have never used it. It does not have an instruction manual.

Right now it is sitting, bungee corded, and covered, to the balcony railing.

Any ideas???  thoughts?

Remember it is just me, I am cooking for.. should I use some aluminum foil to cover the grate, so I do not have to scrub it?

I grew up with a charcoal grill for easy stuff.. never used this type of grill..

Thanks

168 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The stuffed cabbages came out great.
The whole tomatoes, and diced tomatoes, with the juices from the cabbages and filling was outstanding.
I have a thought, to utilize that leftover sauce, and to add a can of broth to it, and then drop in my meatballs to cook for tomorrows meal. IDK? Just a thought!

169 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Hey Everyone! I am still here.

I have inherited, because a friend is moving from this building, a brand new electric grill. It is a
"MasterBuilt", whatever that means. It is also an indoor/outdoor grill. I do not plan on using it indoors.

This grill is brand new!! never used. complete with hood and plastic cover.

Now I need some ideas, thoughts on how to use it. It is small, round.. big enough for me!! And it is so shiny on the inside!! I hate to dirty it..

I also have to check out the electrical outlet on the balcony. I have never used it. It does not have an instruction manual.

Right now it is sitting, bungee corded, and covered, to the balcony railing.

Any ideas???  thoughts?

Remember it is just me, I am cooking for.. should I use some aluminum foil to cover the grate, so I do not have to scrub it?

I grew up with a charcoal grill for easy stuff.. never used this type of grill..

Thanks
Sounds like a deal to me Cindy.
I wouldn't use foil on the grate. Not knowing specifically what it looks like, I would go the distance, and just scrub it when done cooking.
Did you try on line google the grill for a owners manual?....
When you mentioned Master Built, I thought of Master Bilt which makes some of the finest refrigeration and cooking equipment for the restaurant industry.
Is this the grill ???

https://masterbuilt.com/wp-content/uploads/20150813_Red-Electric-Patio-Grill_IM-1.pdf

170 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 pm

NormM

Beth, I ate half my sandwich at 3 and the rest few minutes ago. Charlie is making himself a sandwich with the Cuban pork and a couple of mixed dry salamis as well as some ham.

171 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:16 pm

bethk

Admin
Cindy, I'm with Jimmy. I wouldn't use foil on the grill unless you plan to do something really messy (like slathering sauce on ribs or chicken.

Otherwise, I'd heat it and then rub the grates with an oiled wad of paper towels.

When you're done cooking on it, let it cool and (I assume) the grate is small enough to put in the sink, covered with soapy water and easy to give a good scrub to after it's soaked a while.

I always dry things like that well....and usually put into a warm oven just to be sure it's completely dry so it doesn't rust.

You should have fun experimenting with it.

BTW ~ I also agree that you should go online to get the instructional manual.

172 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 pm

bethk

Admin
I used some of the leftover grilled chicken for my (faux) Chicken Enchiladas. I don't have a clue how to make 'real' enchiladas so I just make something we like. The filling is shredded chicken, cream cheese (because I don't like 'regular' cheese), sour cream. chopped onions & a couple cans of green chiles. The green enchilada sauce is store bought.

Toppings are Verde Taco Sauce & Sour Cream mixed, tomatoes, onions, black olives & avocado. The casserole I use to bake them holds eight rolled flour tortillas so I have enough for two meals....we'll probably have the same meal again on Tuesday.

173 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Let's see.... Gee, I can't even remember what we ate for supper...hahahahaha
Oh! ... Angel hair with tomatoes sauce.
Tina was wishing for Domino's thin crust pizza. So we had one delivered. She can tolerate eating it,
and it stays on her stomach, so why not/?

174 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon May 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:. Salad is interesting.

"Salad is interesting".....translated by Mr. Amazing as, "Who in their right mind would eat something like that?????"

Hahahahahaha ~~~  It's OK, I can take the criticism.  What can I say?  I like raw red beets and I like kale.....which makes me think the salad would be even better if I added shredded kale to it!

I really laughed when I read this message, Beth, as that's EXACTLY what I thought when I read Jimmy's comment. I'll say one thing: The salad was really pretty!

I never cared much for beets. I could eat them if someone served me some at dinner but I wasn't crazy about them. Had only had canned beets and after seeing you use them so often, I bought some fresh ones and cooked them, encouraging Brian, who like me didn't like 'em, to try them. Not only were we not crazy about the fresh ones, but they were a pain in the butt to deal with. I might like them fresh like that, though -- or maybe the truth is more that I'd dislike them a little less.

You have indeed made me want to try more vegetables than I'm used to having over the years, Beth, and that's the truth. Beets for some reason are the only vegetables I can think of that I don't care for.

175 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon May 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Burgers tonight.

Saw La La Land last night. Was not impressed. I don't know how Emma Stone got best actress. No chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Stone. The only thing i enjoyed were the filming locations across L.A.

My nephew helped film a music video. It started at 6AM and they finished at 2AM. He was exhausted.

I'm not a big musical fan, though I've really liked some of the classics (West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins) but I just saw that La La Land is now showing on demand and thought I would try to watch it. (Getting Brian to eat dirt would be easier than getting him to watch it with me, of course.) I'm not as crazy about Emma Stone as lots of people are, though. Thanks for the warning, Debbie! I did like seeing the previews for the street scenes of dancing and I did like the whole ethereal look of the show on the previews, though.

Since we very rarely ever go to the movies, there are a lot more recently out on demand that I'd have a better chance of liking...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum