Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

101 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight was a nice BLT with farm fresh tomatoes and woven bacon.  Fried corn & beans along side.

That's some good lookin samich Beth. That bacon is so lean too.

102 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Crap! Got a slab leak. The plumber is coming tomorrow. The carpet is soaking wet. I hope it doesn't stain. The runner is wet too. I have a thousand dollar deductible so I don't know if I am going to put in a claim until I find out what it is going to cost and if any carpet or wood floor has to be replaced. I guess I can be grateful that it isn't a sewage leak. So early in the AM we are going to be assaulted with the noise from a cement saw and jack hammer. I just thought of something - the power is going to be off all day Wednesday so I hope they can get it fixed before then.

Tonight is going to be turkey sandwiches from the leftover turkey I made yesterday. It wasn't very good. The brand was Jenny-O and not as tender as other brands. a bit gamey too with that sour-mop essence that I can detect in turkey and some chickens. I wish I knew what it was called.

The "Pullet" smell! Uchhh!

Why does the electric go off on wednesday??

103 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and I played, "Poke & Pick" at the ham that is leftover.
We sit and roll the ham back and forth to each other, and pick and poke at it with paring knives.

Had potato salad and when the ham slid on the floor, we quit!

104 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Bugster2

Jimmy, SCE is doing maintenance work and informed us that the power will be out from 10AM to 7PM. That means we have to unplug every electronic device so when the power comes back on the power surge won't blow out anything. PITA! Have to reset the clocks too. Double PITA!

105 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, SCE is doing maintenance work and informed us that the power will be out from 10AM to 7PM. That means we have to unplug every electronic device so when the power comes back on the power surge won't blow out anything. PITA! Have to reset the clocks too. Double PITA!

It sure is a pain, but in the long run, it's better to have power when it is scorching hot for fans and cooling units.

106 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 am

Bugster2

That's what you think. I get letters from SCE every month telling me that I am using twice as much power as my neighbors and I need to reduce my usage. This is without turning on the air. There are 3 stay at home people living here. 3 computers are going all day and night, sometimes. Two TV's on all day. We cook in electric ovens. We keep two outside lights on all night long for safety reasons. They have low wattage bulbs. The lights are not usually on during the day. My bill is going to be $130 this month. SCE has the highest rates in the nation. I can't turn on the air in the summer unless I want to pay two or three hundred more per month. This is just for a few very hot days. We turn on the air about two or three and turn it off around 7PM. We may have great weather but we have one of the highest cost of living. They just slapped a $20 a carton tax on cigarettes so they are now $100/carton. Another 12 cents on gasoline so it is one of the most expensive in the nation.

107 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That's what you think. I get letters from SCE every month telling me that I am using twice as much power as my neighbors and I need to reduce my usage. This is without turning on the air. There are 3 stay at home people living here. 3 computers are going all day and night, sometimes. Two TV's on all day. We cook in electric ovens. We keep two outside lights on all night long for safety reasons. They have low wattage bulbs. The lights are not usually on during the day. My bill is going to be $130 this month. SCE has the highest rates in the nation. I can't turn on the air in the summer unless I want to pay two or three hundred more per month. This is just for a few very hot days. We turn on the air about two or three and turn it off around 7PM. We may have great weather but we have one of the highest cost of living. They just slapped a $20 a carton tax on cigarettes so they are now $100/carton. Another 12 cents on gasoline so it is one of the most expensive in the nation.

Ours is all messed up here. I use JCP&L as the carrier, and First Energy as the transmission lines from Texas... AMBIT Energy is the Producer that generates my power. My bill last month was $248.00 ....
I cook and heat with natural gas. That's just for two tv's and lights plus freezer and fridge. It's not even hot out yet. We live in a normal bi-level, and nothing huge or fancy.

Our power lines are Old Old outdated in size, and capacity. I cannot believe people are fighting a new 350 mega watt transmission line just 20 miles from us in PA. Yet! They are the first people to scream, when the tranmission sub stations fail, and they have no power.

108 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Bugster2

Got the plumber here. Took a while to find the leak. It is somewhere between the toilet and the hall closet. They don't cut concrete anymore so they are going to bypass and re-rout the pipes in the wall. Still no estimate yet. He is going to come back another day to finish the job. He put a temporary ball valve with an on/off so Katie can use her bathroom.

I made white chicken enchiladas with leftover turkey instead for dinner tonight.

109 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm

bethk

Admin
I did the same-old, same-old......chicken breast. Fried potatoes with cubanelle peppers & onions (for me ~ HE didn't eat any). Red Beet stems & greens. Roasted carrots & parsnips.

110 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

An Oscar Mayer bologna sandwich for jimmy here.
Mrs Tina mommy had sugar crisps cereal.
SOoooo exciting !
Lemon chiffon pie for dessert ..... Tina made

111 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:29 am

Bugster2

Since the power is going to be out today we may get some fast food for dinner. IDK.

Joe goes through a lot of cereal. I am always looking for a sale. He likes Raisin Bran Crunch and Frosted Mini Wheats. At the regular grocery stores, they are over $5.00 a box. Walmart and Target have them at about $3.25. Albertsons had a sale and I printed some coupons from the Kelloggs site and ended up buying 18 boxes. Cost me $1.39 each. That is about as close to extreme couponing as you can get out here. Got 'em stacked in the garage.

112 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 pm

bethk

Admin
We had our last Patio Party in the neighborhood ~ we're at the end of "The Season", all the part-timers are heading back to their summer / northern homes by the end of the month. Most of the full-time residents are really, REALLY old and don't participate even when the neighborhood fills up for the winter.

But today was a lovely crowd and lots of good food arrived. I ended up making a northwest Ohio favorite, a "Betty Salad" with lettuce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, egg & bacon and a thick, sweet & sour dressing. Another lady brought the Asian Ramen Salad with cabbage & almonds ~ one of MY favorites. Deviled Eggs, Macaroni Salad(s), Taco Dips and lots of desserts.

Needless to say, NO SUPPER at my house tonight!

113 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Made a pizza from a blue tube crust.
Tina had turkey soup that she made. She told me to seep six it. She said it was sweet tasting.
She used the carrots leftover that DD cooked in brown sugar.

114 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

bethk

Admin
Tonight's supper was one of my "Thought-Out-In-My-Head" suppers.....I knew what I had in the refrigerator and it tasted just like I imagined ~ a super supper!

I thawed out one of my mini pork tenderloins....weighed about 10 oz. for the two of us. I just seasoned it with some olive oil and s&p and seared it on all sides in a small skillet ~ then, I poured over a few tablespoons of a bottled peach BBQ sauce I picked up someplace and into a 425° oven to finish cooking through to a temperature of about 135° and then I let it rest for about 10 minutes for the juices to redistribute.

The orzo pilaf is how I can sneak pasta into a meal to satisfy MY desire for something starchy. I cooked the orzo in some chicken stock until it was close to al dente and then added some peas & carrots from the freezer. Meanwhile, I stir fried some leeks & celery until just tender and then drained the orzo/vegetables and tossed it all together. If I add enough veg to the pasta he doesn't complain at all.....and it tastes good!

The red beets were simply wrapped in foil and roasted in the oven the other night with the pan of carrots & parsnips I heated up the oven for. As long as the oven was going to be on I figured it was a good time to cook the beets. They took longer than the carrots & parsnips so I put them into the oven while it was preheating and left them in after the others were removed as the oven cooled down. I wore gloves to slip the skins off and stashed them in a quart deli container and into the refrigerator to wait for a meal I wanted them in. Tonight I just sliced / diced (on a dinner plate so I didn't stain one of my cutting boards) and reheated them in a bit of butter. Since they were roasted the flavor was really concentrated....you would have thought I had drizzled them with honey.

I've got enough orzo pilaf and red beets for another meal so be forewarned you will be seeing them again soon.

115 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Imelda HL

Hello, all.. it's been a while I did not post my meals, but I visited here at least once in a couple days, tried to see what you guys were doing haha Razz  

I did not cook much, I mean, nothing really special to share, sometime I cooked 1 meal, we could eat it for 2 or 3 times, we don't mind eat leftover foods.. I cooked this last week, we went to a short road trip, about 720 miles round trip, stayed for 1 night, we visited Antelope Canyon, I'll share the pics later

here is my Taco salad, I saw the ads by Taco Bell, they have a rectangle taco bowl, I thought it was cute and beautiful, so I molded my tortilla with a rectangle bowl

Oh btw.. I need your opinions, I bought a ball of ham, it was on sale, .89 cents/lbs, so I have about 10 lbs of ham, and I don't want to eat it in this near future, so what to do before I freeze it, for sure I need to cut it because I don't have enough space in my freezer, should I bake my ham first, then slice and put the sliced ham in bags? Or just slice it and put the slices in bags and freeze them? thank you

116 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Bugster2

The power was out from 10 to 7;30 yesterday. I ended up cleaning out my closet. What do you do when there is no TV, internet or phone?
The plumber came today and fixed the slab leak. He re-routed the pipes through the walls. i now have 8 holes that have to be fixed. I haven't even seen the adjuster from the insurance agency. I think I will let Joe handle it.

I think it is cheeseburger quesadillas tonight. I don't feel like cooking something healthy. Tomorrow prolly no dinner. It is going to be in the 90's and Joe and Katie are going to the beach. My fun for the day will be a trip to Walmart.

117 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:Hello, all.. it's been a while I did not post my meals, but I visited here at least once in a couple days, tried to see what you guys were doing haha Razz  

I did not cook much, I mean, nothing really special to share, sometime I cooked 1 meal, we could eat it for 2 or 3 times, we don't mind eat leftover foods.. I cooked this last week, we went to a short road trip, about 720 miles round trip, stayed for 1 night, we visited Antelope Canyon, I'll share the pics later

here is my Taco salad, I saw the ads by Taco Bell, they have a rectangle taco bowl, I thought it was cute and beautiful, so I molded my tortilla with a rectangle bowl

Oh btw.. I need your opinions, I bought a ball of ham, it was on sale, .89 cents/lbs, so I have about 10 lbs of ham, and I don't want to eat it in this near future, so what to do before I freeze it, for sure I need to cut it because I don't have enough space in my freezer, should I bake my ham first, then slice and put the sliced ham in bags? Or just slice it and put the slices in bags and freeze them? thank you

Imelda, Is it a raw ham, meaning is it one that needs to be cooked before eating?

118 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Hello, all.. it's been a while I did not post my meals, but I visited here at least once in a couple days, tried to see what you guys were doing haha Razz  

Imelda, Is it a raw ham, meaning is it one that needs to be cooked before eating?

It said, smoked ham, heat 20 minutes/lbs, so I think it's cooked ham, so might be no problem either way I store it, right?

119 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Bugster2

You shouldn't have any problems either way. If you have a Foodsaver, that is the way to go.

120 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Good to hear from you! Imelda....
We freeze hams all the time.
If you open the packaging kryovac wrap, like Debbie said, "use a foodsaver or a vacuum wrapper.

121 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight's supper was one of my "Thought-Out-In-My-Head" suppers.....I knew what I had in the refrigerator and it tasted just like I imagined ~ a super supper!

I thawed out one of my mini pork tenderloins....weighed about 10 oz. for the two of us.  I just seasoned it with some olive oil and s&p and seared it on all sides in a small skillet ~ then, I poured over a few tablespoons of a bottled peach BBQ sauce I picked up someplace and into a 425° oven to finish cooking through to a temperature of about 135° and then I let it rest for about 10 minutes for the juices to redistribute.

The orzo pilaf is how I can sneak pasta into a meal to satisfy MY desire for something starchy.  I cooked the orzo in some chicken stock until it was close to al dente and then added some peas & carrots from the freezer.  Meanwhile, I stir fried some leeks & celery until just tender and then drained the orzo/vegetables and tossed it all together.  If I add enough veg to the pasta he doesn't complain at all.....and it tastes good!

The red beets were simply wrapped in foil and roasted in the oven the other night with the pan of carrots & parsnips I heated up the oven for.  As long as the oven was going to be on I figured it was a good time to cook the beets.  They took longer than the carrots & parsnips so I put them into the oven while it was preheating and left them in after the others were removed as the oven cooled down.  I wore gloves to slip the skins off and stashed them in a quart deli container and into the refrigerator to wait for a meal I wanted them in.  Tonight I just sliced / diced (on a dinner plate so I didn't stain one of my cutting boards) and reheated them in a bit of butter.  Since they were roasted the flavor was really concentrated....you would have thought I had drizzled them with honey.

I've got enough orzo pilaf and red beets for another meal so be forewarned you will be seeing them again soon.

Great looking and tasty looking meal Beth!.

122 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper... a bologna and swiss sandwich and lemon pie.
Tina had swiss cheese slices and jello with cream.

123 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was spaghetti and meatballs....
I made the sauce and meatballs... Tina said it was awesome and the meatballs were
perfect for her consistency. I'll admit, it was good.

124 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 am

bethk

Admin
Oh, man....what a busy day Friday was.

Last movie & lunch for the season....went to see "Going in Style", the old guys' bank heist movie. We all enjoyed the film. Then went to (Italian) Red Sauce for lunch. The two bloody mary's did me in....I came home and immediately took a 2 hour nap.

Then, in the evening, my neighbor had asked me to go to a 'Classic Country Night' concert at a local venue...she had tickets and her husband wasn't feeling up to going. Now, country music is not my thing but I like my neighbor a lot so I went so she didn't have to go alone. I didn't recognize many of the songs they sang, hadn't heard some of the artists' names.....but the musician parts were really something anyone could appreciate ~ one was an excellent banjo player, a couple good guitarists and a pretty talented keyboard player.

I did get smart and I brought along some earplugs to help lower the sound to a tolerable decible for me. I think I must have very sensitive ears....goes along with my delicate system. LOL But the earplugs helped a lot and I was able to sit and listen without having to hold my ears shut.

125 Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Sounds like you had a fairly good time Beth. Country muzic and all.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum