Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The girls are really going to hate me for this. LOL

So what do you think? I bought Tina a new Shark Vacuum Cleaner......Deluxe model, for Valentines Day.....and it's RED for the holiday.

A very good rule for men to follow is to never buy a woman anything that PLUGS in for a present.  Brian knows it well, as he REALLY screwed up our first Christmas together!

Tina said..."Please don't keep us in suspense!"..... What did Brian get you for that first Christmas Gift????
Her first Valentine gift I bought her, was a 21....YES!....A TWENTY ONE transistor AM & FM radio. A Zenith with a carry strap, and an ear phone to listen privately.

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:That is the style of chair I remember being used in almost all cafes and church meeting halls when I was a kid.  This is what everyone had before metal folding chairs came along.  This one has a bigger, more curved back than most and I got it years ago from a really good friend's yard sale. It didn't have a seat, which I added way back then, and the recent repair was to the leg support which was broken in three places.

Tina's uncle gave us 8 folding wooden chairs that were in his attic....Brand New, and never used. The price tag still on the chair of $2.99 Strong really well made chairs. Again, just like the ones they used at the funeral homes and the church gatherings.

UNCLE JIMMY

https://www.etsy.com/listing/494733376/4-vintage-wood-folding-chairs-with?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood%20folding%20chair&ref=sr_gallery_44

These are the same exact chairs I have 8 of. Look how much they would fetch for 4

NormM

Quite a mark-up.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:https://www.etsy.com/listing/494733376/4-vintage-wood-folding-chairs-with?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood%20folding%20chair&ref=sr_gallery_44

These are the same exact chairs I have 8 of. Look how much they would fetch for 4

wow! We had 4 of those chairs; gave them to my cousin when we moved.. I think he threw them out!! I never see them used at family gatherings...

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The girls are really going to hate me for this. LOL

So what do you think? I bought Tina a new Shark Vacuum Cleaner......Deluxe model, for Valentines Day.....and it's RED for the holiday.

A very good rule for men to follow is to never buy a woman anything that PLUGS in for a present.  Brian knows it well, as he REALLY screwed up our first Christmas together!

Tina said..."Please don't keep us in suspense!"..... What did Brian get you for that first Christmas Gift????
Her first Valentine gift I bought her, was a 21....YES!....A TWENTY ONE transistor AM & FM radio. A Zenith with a carry strap, and an ear phone to listen privately.

Okay.  Many years ago Brian asked me to please stop telling people about this but then I heard him yucking it up with someone over it about a year after I'd promised him not to mention it so I told him all bets were off.  Today, even he laughs about it.

First I should say that I made a lot of money at the time and he did not.  It's not about the price of the item but the sheer idiocy of it!  I was working as a waitress in Uptown New Orleans and like the other waitresses, I wore my own clothes and also high heels to wait tables.  I never bought heels that were uncomfortable though, and a slight platform was "in" back then so the balls of my feet had some cushion under them.  I always got compliments on my outfits and always had to tell people that heels didn't bother my feet (they still don't though I hardly ever wear them now primarily because of my horrible back pain).  

The best part is we used to go to one of Brian's friend's bar after work and I got to know some of the women who hung out there.  They all told me what a "wonderful" Christmas present he'd gotten me so I was expecting something really nice.  Needless to say, those women MUST have been on drugs or were secretly attracted to Brian and assumed I'd dump him after this present.  He also swore that I said I wanted one when a commercial came on about it on TV, which I KNOW was BS.  Maybe joking I said, "THAT's what I need," but I doubt even that as my feet never hurt me after work.  

Brian is like a kid about gifts and insisted I give him a hint about the present I'd bought him.  To shut him up, I made up a hint and told him his present started with a "Q," figuring that ought to keep him busy wondering until Christmas.  So I, too, asked for a hint.  He was in the shower at his apt. and I was brushing my teeth at the time and I thought he said the hint was "FP,"  so I assumed it was a food processor.  Although that, too, plugs in, it would've been fine because I'd told him I wanted one and it wasn't a present for the house or anything but for ME alone to use.  What he actually said was the hint was "FB" as it turned out.  

I bought him a replica of an old antique ice box (not a fridge but an old wooden ice box), which had been turned into a walnut bar with two wooden cabinets on the left side and one longer stained glass cabinet on the other side.  We still have it in our living room/den.  Yep, it was pricey but I made a ton of money and it was on sale.  A girlfriend had seen it in an antique store and told me about it and decided she didn't want to spend that much on her boyfriend so okayed me getting it for Brian.  I had it delivered to my parents' house, where my retired father could receive it and they put it in the garage, where I put a ribbon around it and a big bow.  I gave him a wrapped small box with a note to go look in the garage, as we were spending Christmas Day at my parents' house (I still lived at home).  

My family spared no one and after I tore a large piece of wrapping off the gift, they all SCREAMED with laughter and I did, too.  He later told me how embarrassed he'd been and I assured him that my laughing was 10 times better than me crying, which would've made him feel even worse.  At the time, I was really glad I HADN'T started crying, as it was indeed cry-worthy!  What he gave me was a Polinex Foot Bath -- something to soak your freaking feet in!!  I didn't even finish unwrapping it.  It got worse for poor Brian when he went into the garage and saw the replica antique that I'd gotten him, though I certainly hadn't expected anything pricey (until he gave me that stupid hint, of course).  I lied, of course, and told him I liked it and that it was fine.

After dinner as we were driving to his apartment, he started pressing me over and over to admit that I really didn't like it.  I finally got ticked and told him I hated it and he must've been a blithering idiot to give a woman that for their first Christmas together.  And I told him I didn't blame my family for laughing as it was THAT stupid of a gift.  He said, "All the chicks at the bar loved it," to which I replied they were either lying or hated his guts, hated my guts or hated us both!  I believe I even told him he could give it to any one of those foot bath-loving chicks if he wanted to do so.  

When we got to his house, he insisted that I try it (we'd taken that puppy with us so I hoped the laughs would die down before I got home!) though I didn't want to as I was still dressed up for Christmas.  Finally, I sat down, removed my panty hose, and put my feet in the damn thing which he'd filled with warm water.  He asked me how it felt and I told him it was the equivalent of putting an egg beater in a full bathtub of water.  He grabbed it to go empty it but I insisted HE try it since he wouldn't let up until I agreed to try it.  He agreed, took off his socks and tried it for about 60 seconds, said it was a piece of junk and said I could return it.  I told him I would do no such thing, as HE could return it.  He did so a couple of days later and spent the cash at the grocery and made me dinner at his house with the groceries he'd gotten for the meal with the money.  The meal wasn't very good (he overcooked meat back then until it turned into shoe leather) but I lied and told him it was not only delicious but it meant more to me than the infamous Foot Bath!!!!

About 10 years ago, a friend Susan's younger sister died unexpectedly from a fall and though Susan, her husband and the deceased now lived in Texas, they had a memorial in N.O. prior to burying her sister here.  We were outside smoking at the funeral home and my friend, Susan, was telling a story to a girlfriend about one of her friends in TX who was saying her husband had bought her the worst Christmas present ever.  I knew what was coming and figured Brian probably did, too.  Yes, she said, "I told her that her gift couldn't even come close, that my friend had gotten a thing to soak her feet in from HER boyfriend. And it was for their first Christmas together!"  I could not stop laughing and once Brian made a show of hanging his head in shame while a bunch of laughing chicks said, "It was you?!", he howled as well.  The gift that NO ONE EVER FORGOT!  

I gather by your telling Tina about my message that you told her about the vacuum already, Jimmy?  Or did you just tell her it plugs in as a hint?!  

Bugster2

My husband rarely got a present for me so I think you are lucky that he tried. The last present I got was 3 years ago. It was a guitar. Fine, but I told him over and over I did not want one. So, of course, I got one.
I think the worst present I got was from my father. He was really into garage sales. He gave me some kind of ring that was missing half the stones.

Bugster2

My sister's husband is a show-off. One Christmas he gave her a card. When my sister opened it, she found a check. For $50,000. I am not sure they were even married at that time.

84 Re: February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

I gather by your telling Tina about my message that you told her about the vacuum already, Jimmy?  Or did you just tell her it plugs in as a hint?!  

I appreciated the story. I saved it for after supper, and before dessert.

I put the vacuum all together early this morning, so she could see all the bells and whistles when she woke up. When I woke up. I asked if she saw the great gift I bought her, and she said silently nodding, yes!

She tried it out this afternoon, and she liked it ..... really!

Now, here is the kicker.... Last night, I ordered her a box of chocolate dipped strawberries from Edible Arrangements! They are set to deliver on monday, on Valentines Eve.

We are having lunch ( actually together ) and I don't remember what sparked the comment, but Tina said,"OMG, I don't know what people see in giving strawberries for Valentines Day!"....... She looked at me as I dropped my JAW! ...She said,"You didn't buy them for me? did you?"
I said yep...all $70.00 worth. At least I got the three balloons she can play with.
She loves strawberries, and adores chocolate, but not together.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

85 Re: February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina picked up Taco Bell for supper. I had 4 taco's ( soft shell ). Tina had one of their taco pizza's with the beans and ground beef.
There are home made cup cakes for dessert.

bethk

Admin
I love, love, LOVE those chocolate strawberries from Edible Arrangements! DD#1 sent us a fruit arrangement for Christmas and I ate every one of the chocolate covered strawberries the first day ~ and there were a lot of them! I said to HIM, "They'll go bad first so I didn't want them to spoil!"

LOL

And it's such a healthy gift.....

I've got some boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I'm going to trim up and get marinated in some Huli-Huli sauce. I'll put them on a piece of non-stick foil on the grill and when the pieces are cooked through I'll start swabbin' 'em with the extra sauce I have sitting in the little bowl, the stuff that won't be contaminated with raw chicken.

Then I'll serve 'em with the leftover orzo pilaf and leftover green beans. I think I'll just put a bit of butter and some Penzey seasoning on them and let them brown up on a piece of non-stick foil on the grill, too. Easy Peasey supper.

Tomorrow is Mr. Amazing's birthday. I've got a lovely boneless rib eye I picked up at Sam's Club today and a couple small lobster tails. I think I'm just going to go the easy route and cut up the lobster meat and butter poach. Gotta come up with an interesting veg and probably a salad. That should make him a happy camper.

NormM

I made a different pot roast for today.  It is a Mark Bittman recipe that was in the NY Times called Japanese Style Pot Roast.

bethk

Admin
NormM wrote:I made a different pot roast for today.  It is a Mark Bittman recipe that was in the NY Times called Japanese Style Pot Roast.

What made it "Japanese", Norm?

IMO, ANY pot roast is a good choice! Your's looks good.

bethk

Admin
I love the non-stick Reynolds Wrap foil. I don't have to try and pry stuff off my filthy grill grates!

They're not really dirty ~ just that they get filled up with remnants of meals that don't get scraped off on a regular basis. I refuse to use the wire brushes any more because of the huge amount of bits that break off the brushes and then I have to worry that I'll get little brass wires in the next meal I cook.

Here's my Huli Huli Chicken chunks cooking and my green beans getting brown bits on them ~ brown stuff on food makes it taste extra good!

My supper plate ~ I made the perfect amount.....he took his serving first and I emptied the bowls of the rest. NO leftovers!

UNCLE JIMMY

"Happy Birthday to Dane"

Beth, make sure you put a lot of egg wedges on his salad.

NormM

I think they called it Japanese style because it had ginger, soy sauce and Mirin in it.  It may not be an actual Japanese recipe but it has some Asian ingredients in it

UNCLE JIMMY

Was good small eye round Tina cooked like a Pot Roast. She put slices of bacon on top.
It was fork tender.

bethk

Admin
Anything with gravy is 'A-OK' in my book! Looks good, Jimmy!

94 Re: February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 am

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:My husband rarely got a present for me so I think you are lucky that he tried. The last present I got was 3 years ago. It was a guitar. Fine, but I told him over and over I did not want one. So, of course, I got one.
I think the worst present I got was from my father. He was really into garage sales. He gave me some kind of ring that was missing half the stones.

Well, it worked out well after all, Debbie. We will celebrate 38 years together this April. He got a lot better at gifts over the years, especially when he got me clothes. He could recognize my style and what I'd like in clothing very well. He bought me clothes other women would swoon over. And Brian is a very generous person, too. In all our years together, it didn't matter if I walked in the house carrying 10 shopping bags, he never once asked me what I spent on anything (unless it was for him). It's a very rare morning in my house where when I come downstairs once I'm dressed and have makeup on that he doesn't tell me how pretty I look, or how pretty my hair is (he likes the gray streaks in my hair). And he makes me laugh every single day of my life.

Guess I should've said all that tomorrow, on Valentine's Day!

UNCLE JIMMY

The strawberries were huge, and themselves, they were sweet. I think they must spray them with a simple sugar water syrup before they chocolate dip them.
Well.....I'm done till Mothers Day Now. Just a card for that. It's up to the kids to get mommy something.

Bugster2

I don't know what we are going to eat tonight. We are having the carpets cleaned and we moved all the furniture so now the house looks like a hoarder lives in it. I have to crawl over things to get to the kitchen. The cats are freaking out over the noise and are running around the garage bouncing off the walls. One clawed the heck out of me trying to escape. Maybe I should order pizza.

UNCLE JIMMY

When they came to do our carpeting, I told the guy...."The couch was never moved, or the big POS tv entertainment center!.....so just go around them. No poop or throw-up happened under them!!!...

bethk

Admin
Happy Birthday to Dane dinner of grilled rib eye, butter poached lobster tail, white rice (by request), steamed asparagus & a green salad with blue cheese dressing:

The birthday boy with dinner and his birthday brownie w/Redi Wip!

LOL you cannot even see the tiny, little, miniscule 1.5" X 1.5" brownie under his whipped cream!

99 Re: February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh How Nice..... Great dinner, and a great man to go with it!
And a precious woman that cooked and made him happy!

100 Re: February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We had ( Glump ), spaghetti and meadtballs. Son and DIL came over after work to eat.

I brought the new high chair up from the garage. DD and Tina and I attempted to put the darn thing all together. What a PITA it was..... The little baby loves it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum