Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

+3
cookingirl
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, we are not kids anymore. Take care of yourself. I am glad your son is living with you. Have him watch you for any kind of odd behavior. We don't want your concussion to take a turn. Sounds like it knocked the smarts out of you for a while.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah, what Debbie said,......and take an aspirin every 12 hours.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NORM!!!! I'd ask, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???" ~ except, obviously, you were NOT thinking clearly. If the sun bothers you, turn the computer.

But stay on the floor. Jimmy's right.....The Flying Walenda's you're NOT

That's scary stuff.....head and back ~ is your ankle OK?

NormM

NormM

I don't know if Charlie would recognize any behavior from me as odd.  I can't turn my computer unless I turn my whole desk and it is big and heavy.  I tried turning it on the desk once and it pulled some wires out of the back. My ankle is OK

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, You have to be careful!!! I am younger than you, and are afraid to climb things because of the fear of falling... you have to remember that we do not heal as fast or as easily as we used to..

the days of being SuperMan or SuperGirl are over for us...

If anything happened to you, what would Charlie do???? You have to take care of yourself...

NormM

NormM

I should have been more careful.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, I did not mean to 'jump' all over you... I apologize for that.. but you are a special person. None of us would want you to injure yourself.. we would all suffer.. ((hugs))

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had unexpected visitors from Toledo this afternoon.....an old friend and his twin brother have been in The Villages for 2 weeks to stay with their mom because their sister and brother-in-law (who their mom lives with) were on a cruise. He finally was talking with his wife and he complained about how bored he and his brother were. She suggested he give us a call.....I can't believe he said, "Oh, that's right! I forgot they lived down here." I mean, can you imagine ANYONE forgetting ME ???? LOL

But they came and sat outside getting sun burned, drinking beers for most of the afternoon. They were both in pretty good spirits by the time they left to go fix supper for their mom.

After they left I just looked at Dane and said, "Let's go!" He knew I wasn't going to be cooking. So, we went out for Mexican food and now we're both full and exhausted from over eating.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We had unexpected visitors from Toledo this afternoon.....an old friend and his twin brother have been in The Villages for 2 weeks to stay with their mom because their sister and brother-in-law (who their mom lives with) were on a cruise.  He finally was talking with his wife and he complained about how bored he and his brother were.  She suggested he give us a call.....I can't believe he said, "Oh, that's right!  I forgot they lived down here."  I mean, can you imagine ANYONE forgetting ME ????   LOL

But they came and sat outside getting sun burned, drinking beers for most of the afternoon.  They were both in pretty good spirits by the time they left to go fix supper for their mom.

After they left I just looked at Dane and said, "Let's go!"  He knew I wasn't going to be cooking.  So, we went out for Mexican food and now we're both full and exhausted from over eating.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 2876911673 Sounds like a Happy Peppy Party Happened there today! LOL February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 4056093967

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had what you might call, a Pre- Supper.
Tina was out shopping for baby food and cereal for the baby, and at around 3:45, she picked up some soups and rolls at the market. We ate and with full happy bellies, we just finally realized it was 7:30, and we hadn't eaten. Hmmm?..... Tina had a liverwurst on a little roll, and I will have a ham and cheese; lettuce and Tomato, on a kaiser roll.

NormM

NormM

This is the curtain I put up to block the sun. It is a black out curtain and i had to put it over the curtain rod.  I should have used a step ladder instead of a tippy chair.February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 Dscn4011

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:This is the curtain I put up to block the sun. It is a black out curtain and i had to put it over the curtain rod.  I should have used a step ladder instead of a tippy chair.February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 Dscn4011

Oh Boy! So now, does that stay up all the time?, or does it come down, and re put up when the sun changes position again?

NormM

NormM

I have a cane that i can move it with while sitting down.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The girls are really going to hate me for this. LOL

So what do you think? I bought Tina a new Shark Vacuum Cleaner......Deluxe model, for Valentines Day.....and it's RED for the holiday.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have a cane that i can move it with while sitting down.

That'll do it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The girls are really going to hate me for this. LOL

So what do you think? I bought Tina a new Shark Vacuum Cleaner......Deluxe model, for Valentines Day.....and it's RED for the holiday.

Oh, you ROMANTIC DEVIL!

'nuf said...........

LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Michelle.... How is it going there in NO?  So worried you guys are ok.
We are praying power gets restored soon to ones that lost it!

Thanks for thinking of us, Jimmy! Sorry I haven't logged in in a couple of days. Yeah, though we had some high winds at our house, no tornados in our area. I was watching full out TV weather which was on all the local channels at the time and I did see the warnings that turned out to be six tornadoes touching down in south Louisiana. The poor folks out in N.O. East got the worst of it. The real blessing was no deaths even though all those homes were destroyed. I've been reading that not only were people getting warnings on TV but warnings were going out by cell phones and home phones which gave some people the 60-second warnings that saved their lives. And though we don't have much experience with tornados, the true blessing was that it happened during the day while most people were working and not at night when most would be home and probably sleeping thru the warnings.

We didn't lose power but power at our house did go out a couple of days ago in early evening for about 3 hours. Brian and I were giggling like two little kids as it was the first time (other than two prior five-minute outages) our whole house generator kicked on and put our power back on in about 7 seconds! We were already in bed and of course Brian had to go out on the balcony and survey the rest of the neighborhood in darkness. Sadly, the darn cable went out, too, so no TV for me but my wifi still worked so I was able to amuse myself on the computer for about an hour until cable came back on. Evidently, a large fire quite a distance from us was the cause of the power outage...

Again, thanks for thinking of us!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I got on the table to add an extra curtain to block out the sun that was shining in my face while I was at the computer.  When I stepped down on the chair, it tipped and I fell on my back.  I mild had a concussion because they were talking about President Trump on the TV and I didn't understand how he could be president. I couldn't even remember having an election.

Norm, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and your injuries. I hope you heal faster than we do.

Now, since you're not married, I'm going to fuss at you like I fuss at Brian. For goodness sake, you should not be using a chair to get on a table. If the table is large enough and sturdy enough to handle you, at least get a freaking stepstool out to get on the table. Better yet, go get the ladder and do it the right way! You could've killed yourself or ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Thank God you're okay though that tailbone injury is going to hurt for some time. I hope no other nerve damage gives you additional problems.

Seriously, I'm glad you're okay but we have to admit our ages these days and know we can't get away with the things we did without a moment's thought when we were younger. Seems to me men have more of a problem with this than women; at least that's how it is in this household. And even if you want to do something like that, don't ever attempt it when you're home alone. Was Charlie home and heard you fall? I sure hope you weren't alone, as it's pretty scary when that happens.

I'll pray you get well soon. Please don't me mad at me for my scolding...

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The girls are really going to hate me for this. LOL

A very good rule for men to follow is to never buy a woman anything that PLUGS in for a present.  Brian knows it well, as he REALLY screwed up our first Christmas together!

Crybaby

Crybaby

This was on the cover of Bon Appetit back in October.  I had that great made in Italy pappardelle on hand (we love that stuff -- tastes soooo much better than the really good pasta we buy at the store) so I decided to make it.  I only had fresh button  and crimini mushrooms on hand so I used 8 oz. of each.  I used 1/2 cup of cream instead of 1/3 cup as I was getting tired at the stove and I had a little bit more liquid in the bottom of the pot than the recipe called for so I decided to beef up the cream a bit.  It was truly delicious and pretty quick, all things considered.  Almost forgot:  I thought I had prosciutto on hand but I had to use 10 slices of pancetta instead, which tasted divine when crisped up.  One more change:  I only used 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to fry the pancetta which left plenty of oil in the pot for the mushrooms.  Another quarter cup of oil would've been ridiculous.  If you keep this recipe, you may want to edit that change in...

Pasta with Mushrooms and Prosciutto
Serves 4 / Recipe by Claire Saffitz; Bon Appetit, October 2016.
Getting the consistency of the creamy mushroom sauce right is key for this pasta recipe. You want to reduce it just until it clings to the pasta to create a light coating; be careful not to reduce it too much.

1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 6 slices)
1 pound mixed mushrooms (such as chanterelles, maitake, oyster,
crimini, and/or shiitake), torn into bite-size pieces
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, plus more for serving
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
12 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium. Arrange prosciutto in a single layer in pot and cook, turning once or twice, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
     Heat remaining 2 Tablespoons oil in same pot over high. Cook mushrooms, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 5–8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots and 1 teaspoon thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until shallots are translucent and softened, about 2 minutes. Add stock and reduce heat to low. Bring to a simmer and cook until only a thin layer of stock coats bottom of pot, 5−7 minutes.
     Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes less than package directions.
Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with mushrooms and add 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Crumble half of prosciutto into pot. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente and liquid is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cream, return to a simmer, and cook, tossing, until pasta is coated, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add butter, and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt if needed.
     Divide pasta among bowls. Top with more thyme and crumble remaining prosciutto over; season with pepper.

NormM

NormM

i have read a little of it and have book marked it for more later. It looks really interesting.  Thanks Bugster.

NormM

NormM

I am not mad at anyone.  This is the chair that tipped. I just spent a little more than I thought was wise on getting it restored and thought it was going to be more steady than it was.  February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 Dscn4012

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I am not mad at anyone.  This is the chair that tipped. I just spent a little more than I thought was wise on getting it restored and thought it was going to be more steady than it was.  February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 Dscn4012

Wow, that's the chair they use in the Lions Cage at the circus.

That reminds me. I have one of those wooden office chairs in the shed.
The curved captains style; with the big iron spring to support the back rest.
No padding, but really a solid chair on caster wheels.
February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 3 Oak-office-chair

NormM

NormM

That is the style of chair I remember being used in almost all cafes and church meeting halls when I was a kid.  This is what everyone had before metal folding chairs came along.  This one has a bigger, more curved back than most and I got it years ago from a really good friend's yard sale. It didn't have a seat, which I added way back then, and the recent repair was to the leg support which was broken in three places.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum