Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
cookingirl
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

NormM

NormM

Its -3º here today and even though we are running out of stuff, I don't want to go out and shop. I'm making bread because we are out of that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just went by a chair in the living room where two of Katie's cats were sleeping. I bent down to pet the one that was actually asleep and found that she was dead. No signs or symptoms of illness at all. She ate dinner last night and for some reason she died during the night. It was so sad because her baby was sitting right next to her. I am going to beat myself over the head wondering what I missed, what could I have done. A necropsy is too expensive to have done. She was by far the sweetest, most loving cat I have ever known. I had to wake up Katie and Joe and tell them. They have been sitting around the deceased cat for several hours. Frankly, I want to wrap up the cat and put it in a bag in the fridge until we can get to the vet tomorrow. Katie always has her cats cremated. Unfortunately the vet is closed on Sundays.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I just went by a chair in the living room where two of Katie's cats were sleeping. I bent down to pet the one that was actually asleep and found that she was dead. No signs or symptoms of illness at all. She ate dinner last night and for some reason she died during the night. It was so sad because her baby was sitting right next to her. I am going to beat myself over the head wondering what I missed, what could I have done. A necropsy is too expensive to have done. She was by far the sweetest, most loving cat I have ever known. I had to wake up Katie and Joe and tell them. They have been sitting around the deceased cat for several hours. Frankly, I want to wrap up the cat and put it in a bag in the fridge until we can get to the vet tomorrow. Katie always has her cats cremated. Unfortunately the vet is closed on Sundays.

Sorry to hear that....
How Old was the cat? ....

Bugster2

Bugster2

About 9 years old. I did some research on the net and 90% of sudden cat deaths are due to cardiomyopathy or heart worm disease. I guess I will have one of the cats tested for heart worm and hope it is negative.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:About 9 years old. I did some research on the net and 90% of sudden cat deaths are due to cardiomyopathy or heart worm disease. I guess I will have one of the cats tested for heart worm and hope it is negative.

Oh Lord No!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a fall out! Tina opened the freezer door, and what Fell out while shuffling packages, is what got cooked. LOL
There were 5 stuffed cabbages in a package that were Tina's, non-cooked home made, so, that was supper. Thrown in a pot, with a can of tomatoes and sauce, and cooed slowly, was done in three hours.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Stuffed cabbages sounds like a perfect meal to me!

We have a nice 'Jewish' deli here in The Villages that make some really good stuffed cabbage. So I seldom bother going to the trouble and work to make a whole batch. What's nice is I can go to the deli and order just one stuffed cabbage with a side of wonderful rye bread (baked at the deli), priced as a 'appetizer'.....that's what I order when I go. The dinner portion is two with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, bread side ~ way too big for me to eat!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I grilled a marinated London Broil for our supper.....green beans were on sale at Aldi today and really nice and fresh......and I made a skillet full of GRATED HASHED BROWN POTATOES WITH CHOPPED ONION!!! Mr. Amazing saw the hashed brown potatoes and exclaimed, "FRIED potatoes! It's been a long time since we've had fried potatoes!" So, needless to say, my worry he would be upset with my menu choice was unfounded.

He's in maintenance mode now with his 'diet'....he still goes to the gym to exercise every day but that's because he's more and more OCD the older he gets. But as long as I can fix food I'm hungry for every once in a while it's all good. There was a time in the not too distant past that he would have accused me of trying to sabotage his diet with my cooking. But I think he's past that now. If he isn't happy with something I fix I just tell him that 'portion control' is all on HIM and not my problem. I know he didn't eat even ONE of the little individual Lemon Pudding Cake desserts I made. I had 3 that I ate (one each evening before bed) and now they're all gone. And they were good! LOL

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 IMG_20161218_171018483

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I grilled a marinated London Broil for our supper.....green beans were on sale at Aldi today and really nice and fresh......and I made a skillet full of GRATED HASHED BROWN POTATOES WITH CHOPPED ONION!!!  Mr. Amazing saw the hashed brown potatoes and exclaimed, "FRIED potatoes!  It's been a long time since we've had fried potatoes!"  So, needless to say, my worry he would be upset with my menu choice was unfounded.  

He's in maintenance mode now with his 'diet'....he still goes to the gym to exercise every day but that's because he's more and more OCD the older he gets.  But as long as I can fix food I'm hungry for every once in a while it's all good.  There was a time in the not too distant past that he would have accused me of trying to sabotage his diet with my cooking.  But I think he's past that now.  If he isn't happy with something I fix I just tell him that 'portion control' is all on HIM and not my problem.  I know he didn't eat even ONE of the little individual Lemon Pudding Cake desserts I made.  I had 3 that I ate (one each evening before bed) and now they're all gone.  And they were good!  LOL

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 IMG_20161218_171018483

We call that steak, "Very Teethy" ... AKA "Sink your teeth into a nice juicy steak!"..... Nice Job Beth!

BTW... you would never see Tina's Stuffed Cabbages in a Jewish Deli. They are made with ground Pork Shoulder. pig

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahaha!

That's like the time there was a discussion of Latkes (potato pancakes) and I joined in, mentioning how I make German Potato Pancakes (the best are ground raw potatoes & onion) and we have them with sour cream & applesauce and usually grilled bratwurst.

I thought Chef June was going to come un-glued! She said NO LATKE WOULD EVER BE SERVED WITH PORK BRATWURST.

I was glad I prefaced my comments with 'German Potato Pancakes' ...... LOL

And I don't think our deli is really a Jewish Deli....now that I think about it. They serve ham and bacon and pork chops. But it's a good place to eat.

NormM

NormM

I broke down and went to the store for milk and eggs and fruit after it warmed up to a balmy 5 degrees.  Charlie told me it was -9 earlier this morning. Our kitchen sink pipe is close to the outside basement wall and will freeze whenever it gets that cold but a plumber told me that the kind of pipes I have there are ones that can expand without breaking and have done so half a dozen times so far.  We put a hole in the ceiling under the pipes and covered the hole with a vent, so the heat from that room will keep them from freezing and it has helped a lot but today was too much I guess. The pipe thawed out when it was about midmorning and everything is back to normal. Tomorrow will be a lot warmer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man.....freezing and plumbing problems.

So sorry, Norm.

NormM

NormM

The only water that didn't flow was the cold water in the kitchen sink. Everything else worked OK and when the cold water started flowing, there were no problems.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I broke down and went to the store for milk and eggs and fruit after it warmed up to a balmy 5 degrees.  Charlie told me it was -9 earlier this morning. Our kitchen sink pipe is close to the outside basement wall and will freeze whenever it gets that cold but a plumber told me that the kind of pipes I have there are ones that can expand without breaking and have done so half a dozen times so far.  We put a hole in the ceiling under the pipes and covered the hole with a vent, so the heat from that room will keep them from freezing and it has helped a lot but today was too much I guess.  The pipe thawed out when it was about midmorning and everything is back to normal.  Tomorrow will be a lot warmer.

Norm.... if you let the water drip just a few drops, it will prevent freezing of the pipes.
An $2.00 extra water bill is better than a $2000.00 bill for water damage plus more for the plumber.

NormM

NormM

If I had known it was going to get that cold, I would have done that.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm pushing my luck, I know.....but the last time I made ham I served it with baked sweet potatoes and all I could think of was how good it would be if I had made scalloped potatoes instead.

So, I have a HUGE casserole of scalloped potatoes in the oven ~ when they are cooked through I'll add the sliced ham slices shingled on top and let the ham juices mingle in with the creamy potatoes. I should be ashamed of myself for tempting Mr. Amazing with such an old-time family favorite the night after I surprised him with hashed brown potatoes but it's what I've been hungry for since....well, since I can't remember!

So, I'll put my 'innocent' face on and pretend I didn't know it's a carb-laden, fat-laden, oooooeeey, gooey, wonderfully satisfying comfort meal.

(Did I sound convincing there?)

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm pushing my luck, I know.....but the last time I made ham I served it with baked sweet potatoes and all I could think of was how good it would be if I had made scalloped potatoes instead.

So, I have a HUGE casserole of scalloped potatoes in the oven ~ when they are cooked through I'll add the sliced ham slices shingled on top and let the ham juices mingle in with the creamy potatoes.  I should be ashamed of myself for tempting Mr. Amazing with such an old-time family favorite the night after I surprised him with hashed brown potatoes but it's what I've been hungry for since....well, since I can't remember!

So, I'll put my 'innocent' face on and pretend I didn't know it's a carb-laden, fat-laden, oooooeeey, gooey, wonderfully satisfying comfort meal.

(Did I sound convincing there?)

LOL

jUST read this to tina... You go fr it Beth.
They are the goo carbs Tiina said.
I'm sitting here with DD drinking some wine to enhance my appetite.

Tina is making a ground round / vegetable ca]sserole.
darn...I'm having difficulty finding the keys.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The wine hides the keyboard keys and mixes them up......LOL

As he's sitting in his chair, watching an old movie on TMC, he's saying, "Boy, something sure does smell good!" I don't think he's going to give me a hard time afterall.....

Hahahahahaha!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 IMG_20161219_165452861

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am one HAPPY cook!

You know how your mouth is all ready for a certain taste / texture and the first bite is pure nirvana???

Well, that's what I felt at supper! The potatoes were soft and almost sweet ~ not sugar sweet but the texture was just right....and there was plenty of sauce to soothe my tongue! YUM!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 IMG_20161219_171009115

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I am one HAPPY cook!  

You know how your mouth is all ready for a certain taste / texture and the first bite is pure nirvana???

Well, that's what I felt at supper!  The potatoes were soft and almost sweet ~ not sugar sweet but the texture was just right....and there was plenty of sauce to soothe my tongue!  YUM!

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 IMG_20161219_171009115

Beth, you made the kind of potatoes I've been thinking of lately. Brian doesn't eat potatoes but I made a potato casserole years ago that he would eat. I parboiled the potatoes with the skins on and then thinly sliced the potatoes. I sautéed onions with seasoning and garlic, and cooked some bacon and made some cheese sauce. Then I layered all of that in a big shallow baking dish. It was sooooo good and there was enough cheese and bacon and onions in it that he didn't mind the thinly sliced potatoes. It was creamy and tasty and looked like yours did on the plate -- to die for!

NormM

NormM

I made the Bang Bang Shrimp recipe Beth mentioned recently. I don't generally care for fried shrimp but this was good. Had it with carrots and orzo cooked with chicken broth and onions.

December 2016 / Dinner / Supper for the Day - Page 6 DSCN3905_zpsgnz9u1c0

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad you enjoyed it, Norm.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Beth, you made the kind of potatoes I've been thinking of lately.  Brian doesn't eat potatoes but I made a potato casserole years ago that he would eat.  I parboiled the potatoes with the skins on and then thinly sliced the potatoes.  I sautéed onions with seasoning and garlic, and cooked some bacon and made some cheese sauce.  Then I layered all of that in a big shallow baking dish.  It was sooooo good and there was enough cheese and bacon and onions in it that he didn't mind the thinly sliced potatoes.  It was creamy and tasty and looked like yours did on the plate -- to die for!

Michelle, I layered the potatoes & onions in the casserole dish raw and poured the thin white sauce over, topped off with some half & half to help be sure it surrounded all the potatoes. Then I baked it, covered, for about 2 hours. The last half hour I topped it with the ham slices and returned it to the oven on the foil lined baking sheet ~ glad I did that because the ham was just enough more in the dish to cause it to overflow and it would have made a mess in the oven!

Even though I do not EAT cheese, I do, occasionally, make cheesy potatoes or a cheese sauce for cauliflower or broccoli for Mr. Amazing. So, I know exactly what you're talking about with your cheesy potato casserole.

IF I were to make cheesy potatoes for Dane I'd make my usual thin white sauce and add a couple slices of American Cheese (because it acts as a stabilizer for the sauce so it doesn't separate), then add some grated Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses. I've never done the addition of bacon for him but I can imagine it would really make the dish only better! He loves when I make a small 'single serving' casserole of cheesy cauliflower for him ~ I don't do it often, but just once in a while. I don't want to 'spoil' him with too much kindness.....he might come to EXPECT it! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Last night, we had the hamburger / vegetable casserole with topped over with the little dinner rolls....
We found the dinner rolls that Pillsbury discontinued, made by Weis Markets. They were a good match.
Lots of melted cheese in the casserole. I had three helpings.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It must have been good if you ended up with 'thirds'! Good for you guys on a meal that you didn't know you were hungry for until it got to the table!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum