Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was planning on a chicken supper....had my chicken thawed and ready to go.

Then, this morning I put in a load of laundry and as soon as the water was filled, soap in, clothes in.....NOTHING.

The washer died. Dead. Gone.

Geesh! Just because it was a 20+ year old Admiral Washing Machine.....aren't they suppose to last forever????

So, Mr. Amazing tried some CPR, banged around with a hammer, unscrewed and screwed this 'n that...until he finally said, "Well, that's that."

So, off to Lowe's we went. Lucky for us their Black Friday sale prices were still in effect. We knew we wanted a space saving stacked unit and it was one on sale....that coupled with the discount they give veterans made it an affordable unit.

So the young lady wrote it up and said, "the earliest delivery we have is December 11th." I looked at Dane and said, "I hope you like the clothes you're wearing because you'll have to wear them until Sunday, December 11th!" LOL

Crap.

I hate when stuff breaks. Or dies. Even if I know it's bound to happen soon it still makes me angry.

But you deal with what you have to.

So, I called a neighbor and asked if I could use her washer for the wet load....of course, she said. But it took an hour! She has some kind of water saving, high efficiency something or other. I just wanted to slosh my stuff around for a few minutes, spin, rinse and spin dry.....and get home to dry and cook supper.

So, Dane got Taco Bell and I'm having the last of the Peach Sangria.....good enough for tonight.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hate it when things break. I have a pathological terror of things breaking. Right now our fridge liner is all cracked, the oven doesn't work and the dishwasher is due to break at any time.

NormM

NormM

I made two things today. Lunch was Ina's shrimp salad and dinner was John Madden beef stew.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 DSCN3864_zps7hqa2iid

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 DSCN3867_zpsxdpp97ut

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Freezer crap for supper....
Breaded frozen; just heat em up shrimp.
One freezer empanada micro waved...... Ho Hum, mushy sticky, stinky, yucky.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made two things today. Lunch was Ina's shrimp salad and dinner was John Madden beef stew.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 DSCN3864_zps7hqa2iid

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 DSCN3867_zpsxdpp97ut

It all looks so good Norm. Rye bread and Irish butter, would set me into GO Eat Mode!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a hot dog grilled cheese with mustard and pickle relish.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had just about everything prepped from last night but didn't cook then. So tonight I decided to do a 'take' on an Ina chicken recipe I saw on Facebook or some other internet video site. She used a spatchcocked chicken and I used boneless thighs and legs. I finely chopped some thyme, tarragon & just a bit of rosemary, mixed it with Kosher salt, pepper and just a little evoo, enough to make it stick together, like a paste. I put just a bit of the herb mixture UNDER the skin of the chicken and gave the outside skin a sprinkle of s&p. Then I browned the pieces to render some of the fat & removed from the cast iron skillet, poured off the fat and added a layer of thin lemon slices and onion slices. The browned chicken pieces got put on top and into a 450° oven. After about 20 minutes I poured about 1/4 c. of white wine (Pinot Grigio) around the chicken and let it finish cooking for another 10 - 15 minutes. The lemons and onion got caramalized in the pan and I probably would have had a sauce if I had added more wine.

Along with the chicken I made an acorn squash and oven roasted cauliflower & broccoli.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 IMG_20161130_162530725_HDR

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 IMG_20161130_162653346_HDR

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 10 IMG_20161130_170712317

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was "Beth Burgers" as I call them. Raw thick slice of onion and dots of ketchup.
Frozen Ore-ida fries. Son and DIL stopped after work, and ate with us.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I had a hot dog grilled cheese with mustard and pickle relish.
Sounds good Debbie.
Nothing like a hot dog with mustard and relish.
I like a hot dog split in half lengthwise, and on a Burger Bun. the ends must hang out and then yellow mustard and green emerald relish.
NO MUSTARD on the ends!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Debbie....I use to make hot dog grilled cheese for my girls all the time. I had forgotten about those! It was so much easier to melt cheese on a griddled buttered bread and add a grilled hot dog than to try to split the hot dog and add cheese (it always melted out and made a mess that way). Melting it on the bread and then adding the hot dog gave them all the flavor of a 'cheese dog' without the mess at the table....and lap.....and chair......and floor. LOL

A couple times I would try 'rolling' the grilled cheese bread around the hot dog but that usually produced a 'too big for my mouth, Mom!!!' lunch. Yes, my babies were 'delicate' little flowers......

Bugster2

Bugster2

Never had one before but I saw the picture and thought "Why not"? It was pretty good and I had a leftover half and have been chewing on it cold when I feel a little hungry. I am one of those weird people that likes cold leftovers. I like cold burgers but always pick off the wilted lettuce. I like cold pizza, spaghetti, soup. Just about anything cold, whereas my husband must have his food at least zapped in the microwave.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm giving Michelle's Brown Sugar Bacon Pork Tenderloin tonight...WHOOPS! Moved to December ~ Thanks for the reminder, Jimmy!

Last edited by bethk on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ooops! almost posted here. I woke up and here it is The One-th of December.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster wrote:Cook's Illustrated has pretty sleezy renewal practices. I enjoy reading the magazine so I get the digital edition. The problem is that I do not want to automatically renew. Well, you can't do that. It is either you have automatic renewals or nothing. I have no idea if I am going to be alive next year and my husband may not know about the auto renew, even if I tell him. I am afraid he will pay for something he doesn't want or need.

Yeah, I hate auto-renewal as well, Debbie, but I often subscribe online with a debit card and thus, I face them having my debit/credit card for the auto-renewal. The minute I get a new issue after subscribing to something today, I look up (usually at the bottom of the masthead) their customer service area and turn off auto-renewal; I have not encountered a single mag that doesn't allow this to be turned off. Usually, the subscription cards that are in every magazine have very low renewal rates so if they're lower than what's being offered to me via email, I use a card and write a check to renew. The auto-renew rates are often not such a good deal, even though the mag should give their loyal subscribers a nicer rate IMO.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Then, this morning I put in a load of laundry and as soon as the water was filled, soap in, clothes in.....NOTHING.

The washer died. Dead. Gone.

Geesh! Just because it was a 20+ year old Admiral Washing Machine.....aren't they suppose to last forever????

Why it is an appliance always dies in the worst possible way -- like a washer FILLED with water! Never do they die by just refusing to fill UP with water....

Man, that's a long time to have to wait for a replacement to be shipped! You still have a week to go, huh? That would've driven me to a different store just to make sure I couldn't get it sooner...

On a follow-up note, our new dishwasher is working and working quite well, too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=16]Speaking about breaking down. It's always something with the cars. Never fails! Always in the sub zero weather.
Then, there is the Heat. We didn't really need the heat from the main boiler system; up until last week or so. The babys room was fine with the emergency heat using electric, and that was at 70 degrees with no problems. A few days later, we hit the low 30's dip, so I switched over to the gas boiler heat. Wouldn't you know, the boiler / burner failed to sustain combustion.
There I was, at 2:30 am repairing the problem. Luckily, I keep spare burner parts. The only reason is, that specific boiler is no longer made, but parts are available from only one place upstate NY. at 5 x the normal cost. The only reason I am keeping it, is it is 95% efficient.

Thanksgiving day, the refrigerator ice maker crapped out. OMG, what a panic. We had to go out and buy bagged ice. It was no big deal. The fix was easy.....the cubes jammed in the ice plate, and in 2 hours, we had ice. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

The same thing happened to our ice maker. Ice was frozen in the ice shoot. I took an ice pick and gently chipped away at it till the whole chunk came out.

Yesterday we started to have this huge pine tree cut down. Not finished yet. My neighbor told us we have to put in a request to remove it which takes 30 days to get approval. I don't think so! We had high winds and the tree was so overgrown and so precariously positioned that I was afraid it might uproot and land on the house. We had a large bough snap and partially peel off the trunk. If the association Nazi's complain or try to fine us I am going to tell them it was a safety issue and we had to do something right away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum