Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day

+5
1DomesticGoddess
NormM
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

no cooking for me today. Lyn had a doctor appointment in Orlando today so she picked me up at 8:30 this morning and after the doctor, lunch, shopping, laughing....we just got home at 8:30 p.m.

I'm glad we had a whole day to mess around not doing anything other than having a good time.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, I'm glad you're feeling up to joining us again....I knew you'd return!

Thought of you the other day when I had to spray the underside of the outdoor lounge chaise ~ Dane was power washing the concrete in the courtyard and I thought the chaise could probably use a good spray-down.  When I turned it over I was aghast at the NASTY whatever from the morning dew or afternoon showers that turned to what looked like something growing on the straps ~ G*R*O*S*S !

I went to the garage and grabbed the spray bottle of Krud Kutter and a long handled brush and made quick work of ICKY REMOVAL.  I even wore gloves because I was afraid I might catch something from HIS lounge chair.  LOL

I sure hope it was the Krud Kutter that made you think of me and not the gross crud you found under that chair!!! Just kidding. It really is amazing stuff. We've turned the lady who cleans for us onto Krud Kutter, too. She loves that it's gentle on your hands.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookingirl, that new picture of Artie you're posting is adorable. Wish I could sleep that soundly!!!

cookingirl

cookingirl

Thanks Michelle. That was a quick picture of him sleeping on my lap, while I had a furry fleece throw on me.. Crazy cat never even woke up from the flash!!

He is sleeping a lot more now... like the rest of us.. naps... after all he is almost 13 years old!

I did not think it was a good picture, but other people have told me it was cute, so I am going with their opinions..

Thanks again,
Cindy

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We're having...

Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes

Pork Sausage Patties

Green Beans

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did pan fried pork w/pan cream sauce, steamed summer squash (to mimic boiled potatoes) and green beans. I love playing around with pan sauces, never knowing until the last possible moment what I'll end up with ~ forgot to bring in some herbs (LAZY.....lol) so it was just some chicken stock to deglaze the pan and then a splash of half & half once the pan was cleaned up....let it simmer for a couple minutes until it thickened up.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 IMG_20161116_174130725

NormM

NormM

I wanted to try the pork tenderloin tapa recipe in the new Milk Street issue. I have never been to a tapas bar and only have a vague idea of what it's all about. I had no intention of trying to create an authentic menu but did want to round out the meal with other bite size  offerings. I had shrimp scampi, stuffed mushrooms, three kinds of Spanish cheeses, hard cooked eggs,  Italian salami, rice, cherry peppers, and olives.  We thought the pork tapa was good but it might have been better if I had cut the pork in smaller pieces, then refrigerated and marinated in the dry rub over night.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 DSCN3848_zpseysmhwob

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was spaghetti and ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Whoopie Doo!

Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti; .......I'm sick of Spaghetti....

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I wanted to try the pork tenderloin tapa recipe in the new Milk Street issue. I have never been to a tapas bar and only have a vague idea of what it's all about. I had no intention of trying to create an authentic menu but did want to round out the meal with other bite size  offerings. I had shrimp scampi, stuffed mushrooms, three kinds of Spanish cheeses, hard cooked eggs,  Italian salami, rice, cherry peppers, and olives.  We thought the pork tapa was good but it might have been better if I had cut the pork in smaller pieces, then refrigerated and marinated in the dry rub over night.

I've been to a couple Tapas Bar eateries and you did pretty good, Norm, except that most is served on 'Little Plates' ~ LOTS of little plates in MY case. I wanted to try lots of different things on the menu. And it is a fun place for a 'Foodie' as nothing is overwhelming in size, either the amount served or size of the item. Most of what we had were 'finger foods'....I don't remember using many utensils. Oh, I take that back. I just didn't want anything that required a utensil ~ crude diner that I am! LOL I love finger foods!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was spaghetti and ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Whoopie Doo!

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....you KNOW how to fix that ("I'm sick of Spaghetti....")

Decide what you ARE hungry for and get busy in the kitchen. You are more capable than most to make that 'dining funk' disappear in short order!

Ah, but I know ~ November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 1450907917 It's more of, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M HUNGRY FOR !!'

Good luck with that! (I hate when I'm not happy with what I'm cooking but cannot decide what I AM hungry for.)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was spaghetti and ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Whoopie Doo!

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....you KNOW how to fix that ("I'm sick of Spaghetti....")

Decide what you ARE hungry for and get busy in the kitchen.  You are more capable than most to make that 'dining funk' disappear in short order!  

Ah, but I know ~ November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 1450907917 It's more of, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M HUNGRY FOR !!'

Good luck with that!  (I hate when I'm not happy with what I'm cooking but cannot decide what I AM hungry for.)

The thing is, there is no one here to eat it anymore. Maybe the problem is, making too much?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup....gotta do what Norm did: Make 'tapas' (Little Plates).

Like, say, some fried meat balls to snack on, or some steak bites.....or maybe (you'll HATE this suggestion.....) try two different vegetables each day for a week.....Hahahaha ~ got you with that one, didn't I ???

NormM

NormM

Lots of little plates means lots of dish washing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Lots of  little plates means lots of dish washing.  

Which is why I run my dishwasher multiple times a day sometimes......

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Not with Jimmy. Yes er ee....!
I use paper plates. Plus, I wash my paper dish if possible, and use it again.
Tina doesn't appreciate that, but heck. Just conserving!

NormM

NormM

I prefer to throw away paper plates than wash plates. Charlie thinks that is wasteful and uses regular plates but he usually puts them in the sink and I end up washing them and then putting them in the dishwasher. When I have a meal that I want to take pictures of, I often use plates so it looks better though. Charlie loaded and ran the dishwasher last night but I still had to unload it and put the dirty dishes in the sink in the dishwasher.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I prefer to throw away paper plates than wash plates.  Charlie thinks that is wasteful and uses regular plates but he usually puts them in the sink and I end up washing them and then putting them in the dishwasher.  When I have a meal that I want to take pictures of, I often use plates so it looks better though.   Charlie loaded and ran the dishwasher last night but I still had to unload it and put the dirty dishes in the sink in the dishwasher.

We have a normal dishwasher set up. Right next to the sink. YET!
It's too far away for some people ( all others in the household ) and they cannot get it thru their heads, that it is less work to rinse a dish or whatever, and place it directly in the dishwasher.
I HATE spoons and forks just sitting in the bottom of the sink.

Oh! and get this!!!.... Tina has a dish drip drain tray / rack on the counter next to the sink taking up room. Right next to the hand soap and lotions.

NormM

NormM

Me too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was one of those, "I don't know WHAT to fix for supper" days......

So, I walked through the closest Winn Dixie instead of rooting around in the freezer. I walked from one end of the meat counter to the 'fresh' fish ~ finally decided on some wild-caught cod, even though it was 'previously frozen'. It looked like it was holding together fairly well.

I did a simple seasoning with s&p and then a dusting of flour, into some peanut oil in a hot cast iron skillet, put the broccoli, carrots & onions on a foil covered roasting pan with evoo and s&p and par cooked the cleaned out delicata squash along side. Simple and tasty.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 IMG_20161117_172329934

Bugster2

Bugster2

I discovered my bag of potatoes is starting to sprout so I am baking them all and making mashed potatoes and then I will freeze them. It has been warm so I am not surprised they started to sprout.

I just got another recipe feed from Serious Eats. This one is all about sodium Citrate and how it can make your mac & cheese creamy.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/sodium-citrate-baked-mac-and-cheese.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Serious%20Eats&utm_content=Daily%20Serious%20Eats+CID_90c1d5cce379fa372e750eb108290e4b&utm_source=Email%20campaign&utm_term=Modern%20Baked%20Mac%20and%20Cheese%20With%20Cheddar%20and%20Gruyre

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK.... Finger # 1 was leftover pork fried rice.
Finger # 2 was fried breaded shrimp. ( Grotons frozen ).
Finger # 3 was french fries ( frozen oven heated Orida ).
Finger # 4 was a frozen, and Baked Mrs. Clair's Apple Cobbler.
Finger # 5 was used to type this, and about what was built up for today's supper.

Actually, Tina bought Cod Fish fillets at the store today, but I figured, tomorrow would be a better day to have that.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was hungry for pasta....it's NOT on Mr. Amazing's list of 'approved' meals.

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat ~ I chose a recipe from my Cooking Light Magazine and kind of based my supper on one of the recipes I had made before. As long as I can say, "here's the nutrition info and calorie count.....this is what I made.", then I don't get any argument.

I do not try to sabotage his eating plan but sometimes I want to fix what I want and I WANTED PASTA!

So, this is one of the 'One Pan Pasta' meals, where you cook the pasta in chicken stock/milk and don't drain it. The starch from the pasta becomes the 'creamy' part of the dish and it tastes much richer than it really is. I started with one slice of bacon, browned & reserved, cooked one chopped chicken breast & reserved, then cooked a few thinly sliced mushrooms and some thinly sliced onion & reserved. Oh, I added some fresh thyme to the chicken and some fresh tarragon to the mushrooms/onions. Then I deglazed the pan with some chicken stock, added an equal amount of milk and brought it to a boil.....added enough angel hair pasta for two and let it boil until tender. Then I stirred in some frozen peas (love the bright color they add) and when they were warmed through, added the chicken, bacon, mushrooms & onions and continued cooking until the peas were done and everything was heated through.

There wasn't much sauce left by the time everything was mixed together but it was nicely moist so I think I did OK on my 'guessing' of amounts.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 IMG_20161118_170823323

NormM

NormM

About once a year, Charlie asks for lasagne and he asked for it today. Included is the last of some sourdough French bread made a couple days ago.

November, 2016 - Dinner / Supper for the day - Page 6 DSCN3853_zpsgkvdcdka

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, you're killin' me with PASTA lasagne AND homemade sourdough bread !!!

Looks wonderful.

NormM

NormM

thanks Beth

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum