Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Braised Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Porcini & Dried Cherries

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crybaby

Crybaby

I went to the pain management doctor last Thursday and saw this recipe in an old (May 2015) Food & Wine magazine while waiting to be seen.  I haven't made it yet but I have all the ingredients on hand (I love it when that happens) and it sounds really good, too.  Even though they published the recipe at the end of Spring, it sounds like a nice fall dish to me.  

Braised Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Porcini & Dried Cherries
Serves 4.  Recipe from foodandwine.com

1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
11 large garlic cloves, 8 whole and 3 crushed
1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (1/2 ounce)
Kosher salt
2 pounds large chicken thighs
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/2 cup unsweetened dried sour cherries (about 2 ounces)
Celery leaves, for garnish

1. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the whole garlic cloves and cook over low heat, stirring, until golden and fragrant, 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. Strain the garlic broth into a bowl.
2. In another bowl, whisk 1 cup of the garlic broth with the sour cream and porcini and season with salt; reserve the remaining garlic broth for another use.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil. Season the chicken with salt and cook over moderate heat until golden all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
4. Pour off all but 1 Tablespoon of the oil in the skillet. Arrange the potato slices in the pan, overlapping them slightly. Set the chicken skin side down on top of the potatoes. Scatter the cherries and crushed garlic around the chicken and pour the garlic sauce with porcini on top. Roast the chicken for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300° and roast for about 45 minutes longer, until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Preheat the broiler and arrange the rack 6 inches from the heat. Turn the chicken skin side up and broil until the skin is golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Garnish with celery leaves and serve.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love chicken thighs.... my favorite to cook!

cookingirl

cookingirl

sour cherries....never used them or tried tasting them....

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:sour cherries....never used them or tried tasting them....

They're delicious, Cyn. A better name would probably be "tart" cherries. Good to snack on and good in dishes as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum