Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Still waiting on dishwasher...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Still waiting on dishwasher... on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Crybaby

I think I told you guys that our dishwasher broke two weeks ago (natch, on a Friday night).  We called repair, as I'd bought the protection plan when I bought it -- I hate doing that but it seems everything breaks early today so I figure with the cost of a repairman just showing up at your house, it pays off in the long run.  Repair told us we'd bought the Maytag dishwasher (which we love, by the way) in 2013 and since we'd already had two repairs (one was the rubber gasket around the door was leaking and I don't remember the other problem), he thought Maytag would replace the dishwasher.  

I told Brian they'd probably give us a pittance to put towards a new one.  Well, it is taking a while, since the appliance store didn't have the one I wanted in stock in white, but it should be delivered and installed next week.  Poor Brian has been doing the dishes in the double sink for the whole two weeks.  It's hard for me to stand up very long without leaning on the counter, which of course, impedes my ability to wash and rinse somewhat.  He's been great about it, as usual, as he insists on doing them himself.  

I bought the same Maytag model as last time, just the newer version.  Last time I paid $599 for it and this time it was $629 on sale.  I don't remember paying for installation but I guess I did.  I almost flipped when Billy at the appliance store told Brian installation was $120!  Well, he told us Maytag was giving us $519.99 toward the dishwasher and $150 for the installation, for a total payment of $669.99.  So we had to pay the difference.  With the new 5-year protection plan (parts and labor), difference in price/installation and $75 in tax (the rate is 9.75% here, a LOT), we paid $293.97 out of $963.95 to get a brand new one.  

But it's really a super dishwasher as it gets things very clean, will sanitize if you want it to, has several different cycles and is so quiet that when we first got it, we'd have to walk right up to it and bend over to see if it was indeed running.  Lynn, who cleans for us, said she never dreamed it was a Maytag as it was so freaking quiet that she thought it was a Bosch or a Miele.  This one has controls on the top of the dishwasher door so when you close it, it has a smooth front surface (easy to clean and great, I'll bet, if you have young kids who might mess with the buttons).  You can also see how long each cycle is when you set it and if you bend down, you can see how much time is left in the cycle while it's running.

It sure will be nice to finally get it next week, as for two people, we sure go through a lot of dishes.  Plus, as you know, I'll put anything in there that will fit inside and is dishwasher safe.  Some of you would laugh at us, though, as we haven't used paper plates this whole time.  I told Brian to get some at the store and he kept forgetting but then told me he really didn't want to eat off of paper plates.  The dishwasher gets to make the call, I figure!

2 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm

bethk

Admin
I couldn't live without my dishwasher.....well, I COULD ~ but I'd be a really bit**y person! LOL

3 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I couldn't live without my dishwasher.....well, I COULD ~ but I'd be a really bit**y person!  LOL

I know what you mean, Beth. Another good thing about them is they give you a place to put the dirty dishes until you wash them!

4 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:53 pm

cookingirl

Funny, but for one person, my dishwasher is really not needed..

I do run it once a month, just to make sure it is in working condition...

I hate the fact that I am hostage, by the apartment management company, into having to use the 'inexpensive, poor quality' appliances they buy...

I really wish I was smart enough to have negotiated having my OWN appliances here.. I really hate the "new" dishwasher. I cannot get the hang of putting the dishes in there. It is a Frigidaire with a low rating. It is too deep on the bottom with 1/4 racks (do not hold dishes) and the top rack is too shallow to hold large items...It is also noisy and takes forever to finish a cycle...

I hate my stove. Looks nice, but oven cooks unevenly...Have complained but got me no where..

I dislike my front loader washer..I have to practically kneel to get items in it. It takes forever to wash; and, even though it states "Large Capacity", it is useless for a full set of bed sheets and pillowcases...forget a quit of any size....

ok--done with my rant...

5 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am

Crybaby

Cookingirl wrote:Funny, but for one person, my dishwasher is really not needed..

I'm always amazed by how Brian and I fill up a dishwasher every day! I guess it's 'cause we cook a lot but I also think we put more in there than most people do. Embarassed

6 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 am

Bugster2

Our dishwasher is on its' last legs. It is a KA that is at least 15 years old. Only had to have it fixed once (knock on wood). When it goes and we can't afford to buy a new one, that will be the last day I cook. If Katie and Joe want to eat then they will have to do ALL of the dishes which means Joe will get stuck doing them. Katie is disinclined to do any kind of housework. My sister has a Bosch that is about 4 or 5 years old. You wouldn't even know it is on it is so quiet. One thing I did notice is that the plastic along the top of the door where the controls are is cracking. It is silver plastic and it is permanently stained. That would have me peeved.
As for washers: there is no way in hell that I will own a front loading washer. I don't want to have to bend to unload it. It is bad enough that I to do it for the dryer. I also only like appliances that have the fewest bells and whistles (less to break). And I prefer manual controls vs electronic. Maybe less to break.
My other sister had a KA dishwasher (so do I) . It was the dishwasher from hell. She had it installed and after the first use, it died. Called repair. 3 weeks for replacement parts. Fixed, used once, broken again. After the 4th time she called KA and demanded her money back. KA said no way. The store said no way. She is an attorney and told them so and said she was going to file suit. She got a replacement dishwasher. The problem was that the controls were on top of the door and each time the unit was used the moisture got in and shorted everything out.

7 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Crybaby

I had a KA dishwasher for a while that we also really liked. It lasted about 5 or 6 years and then we got tired of repairing it and got the Maytag. We've lived in this house for 18 years and I think this will be our fifth dishwasher, which is a real shame when you think about it. But it's true -- they just don't make appliances like they used to.

I changed my tune over the last couple of years and now I don't buy an appliance without researching it first online and reading tons of reviews. I read "best of" lists and things like that. Of course, I realize any manufacturer can produce a dud once in a while (and you can also get a "dud" installer and/or repairman, too -- I've had those!) but I figure my odds are better if I at least go with the recommended brand.

I never used to buy the "insurance policy" but now I don't hesitate 'cause I just know something is going to break. Plus, when you consider the price of a repairman just to show up, it's not such a bad deal. I paid $119 for a five-year parts and labor contract for this dishwasher which is not much more than the minimum price you get charged for a repairman to come out.

8 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Bugster2

My repairman charges $90 just to come out to the house. Makes my college degree look like chit.

9 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:09 am

Crybaby

Drum roll please! The dishwasher AND the installer are set to arrive this morning between 9 and 10 a.m. Finally. I hope the guy is on time and everything goes well and quickly. It'll be nice to put dirty dishes in the dishwasher again and not just on the side of the sink.

Yippee! It ought to be a nice weekend, as the weather will be mild with low humidity, which is such a joy around here. Beth, I'm glad you guys went to Palm Beach last week so your plans didn't have to change with Matthew. Hope all goes well for your area.

10 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:04 am

bethk

Admin
Horray! Your kitchen will be clutter free soon! Good luck on having a timely installer.....there's nothing more irritating than sitting and waiting on a service person who works on a clock different from yours.

So far our weather is fairly calm, although cloud covered. Dane wants to wait to see how the winds are before pulling all the hanging baskets down and placing them behind the bushes next to the courtyard wall ~ we'll see. We have way too much to tote into the garage unless we want to leave the car out in the storm.

And our Palm Beach vacation was wonderful and I'm thankful we're not there this week. The ocean and Mother Nature's wrath is not anything I take lightly. You don't realize how powerful it all is unless you're standing by the surf and realize just how small you really are.

11 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:27 am

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Horray!  Your kitchen will be clutter free soon!  Good luck on having a timely installer.....there's nothing more irritating than sitting and waiting on a service person who works on a clock different from yours.

Not too bad -- he was only 20 minutes late.  It took him about 1 hour and 20 minutes to install the new one and take out the old one.  And it works beautifully, too.  Laughed and remarked when it was almost done, "Well, I sure hope it works."  He's an independent installer whose company contracts with various stores to install dishwashers.  He said he installed one yesterday that didn't work when he finished the installation; he said the woman wanted it removed and the store (unnamed) refused, saying they would schedule it for repair!  Brian asked what brand it was and he said it was "generic."  He said the woman was furious and he (and we) didn't blame her.  Who wants a brand new appliance that needs repair before it works?!  

bethk wrote:So far our weather is fairly calm, although cloud covered.  Dane wants to wait to see how the winds are before pulling all the hanging baskets down and placing them behind the bushes next to the courtyard wall ~ we'll see.  We have way too much to tote into the garage unless we want to leave the car out in the storm.

I can sympathize, Beth.  Try having no garage at all!

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

12 Re: Still waiting on dishwasher... on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:29 am

bethk

Admin
OK!!! It's in and it's working ~ that's a good thing.

Now all you both have to do is remember you have a working dishwasher and stop leaving the dirty dishes sitting in the sink! (Old habits are tough to break.....Nah ~ you'll both remember!)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum