Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 15]

76 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 pm

cookingirl

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
My nephew is in Miami. How hard did it hit there? He is five stories up in his apartment. Hope he is safe.

I would imagine if he was in a high rise apartment in Miami he evacuated.  All the east coast is under mandatory evacuation.

People used to think "vertical evacuation" (staying put in a high rise) worked; just look at the Hyatt Hotel in N.O. after Katrina to see how it doesn't work.  But of course, not everyone evacuates when a mandatory evacuation is called for.  It's not like you can be forced to leave your property.  But cities can, of course, and do (and should) assure you that no assistance will be forthcoming if you think you're going to get some help later on.

Some people don't realize that a lot of people, particularly the poor or elderly, have no place to go or no means (including a car or any type of transportation) to go anywhere that requires payment of any sort.  Just tell people they can't take their pets with them and you'll get even fewer to evacuate!  Of course, THAT won't happen again.  In June of 2006, Governor Blanco signed the Pet Evacuation Bill into law.

My late sister testified before the state legislature in support of this bill, as did an elderly man, Mr. Morgan, who was a veteran in his early 70s who had lost both legs to diabetes; he was swept from his wheelchair by water entering his home during the storm.  He dove under the deluge and broke through a window to escape, pulling his 1-year-old apricot-colored poodle, Morgan LaFaye, along with him. When they surfaced outside, he pushed the dog onto his roof and held onto a nearby tree for 14 hours, the wind and rain pummeling his body as the flood threatened to sweep him away. Coast Guard rescuers eventually arrived and threw him a rope, but they would not take “Miss Morgan.”  Bystanders wept as Morgan recounted his ordeal to the legislators. He told them of being sped away in a boat, forced to leave Miss Morgan whimpering on his roof. “Several blocks over, I could still hear her,” he said. “It was awful.”  

Some of you might remember having seen Animal Planet about this story.  Unlike many forced to leave their pets behind, however, Mr. Morgan was very lucky. Emergency responders sent him to a VA hospital in Miami, where a volunteer scoured hundreds of animal rescue sites on the internet for any news of his dog. Miss Morgan was lucky, too. After the dog spent 12 days alone on her rooftop, volunteers with Best Friends Animal Society, an animal welfare group that saved thousands of pets during the storm, rescued her and placed her in an emergency shelter. A few weeks later, the group arranged a tearful reunion at Morgan’s hospital, while Animal Planet cameras rolled.  My law firm was contacted by many people whose pets were found but whose "new owners" refused to turn them over, saying they should have never been left alone to begin with and that the original owners did not "deserve" to have them back.  I cannot for the life of me imagine being that cruel to someone by not returning their pet, particularly when they had lost everything, including their home, their job, and perhaps even a family member!

The act passed in Louisiana in June 2006 requires the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, as well as the governments of the state’s parishes, to include pets in their disaster planning. State and local authorities must now make pets part of their emergency-training exercises, and they must educate the public about how to care for pets during natural disasters.

Perhaps most significantly, pets must now be evacuated with people. If evacuation buses cannot accommodate them, officials must provide alternative transportation, such as climate-controlled trucks. And human shelters must now accept pets, or they must set up pet-friendly facilities nearby so that people can keep tabs on their animals. Under one parish’s plan, owners and their pets arriving at emergency shelters will be given matching bar-coded wristbands and collars to make sure no animals are lost.

A few months after Louisiana, the federal government passed its own version of the law: the PETS Act. It was one of the only major bills to have overwhelming bipartisan backing since the 2001 Patriot Act, signed in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.  I think to date, 14 states plus the District of Columbia have passed their own tailored versions of the act, which have been implemented in everything from tornadoes to wildfires.

Every time people have to evacuate, it reminds me to count my blessings that we have a car and funds (even if one only has a credit card) to do so if we wanted to. And we would rather die than leave a pet behind, as most of you would.  It's so nice to know we'd never have to do so.

Forgive me for getting carried away but I just kept thinking of that little apricot-colored poodle crying out for her owner....

Michelle, I had tears in my eyes as I was reading your story. That poor, defenseless little creature...and his owner.. The grief, sadness, desperation they both had to endure.

I am so happy that this ended happily..

Sounds like a great law to enact.. I am all for it!

77 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Bugster2

avatar
I think I mentioned that my oven is broken. I don't really want to fix it - again for the umpteenth time. But, I can't afford to buy a new oven either. I saw this roaster oven on Amazon which also smokes meat:

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTROSMK18-Smoker-Roaster-16-Quart/dp/B00AZBKTS2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1475863730&sr=8-9&keywords=roaster+oven

I am thinking about Thanksgiving turkey, not to smoke but to roast. I just thought the smoking feature might be interesting. Opinions anyone?

78 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
cookingirl wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
My nephew is in Miami. How hard did it hit there? He is five stories up in his apartment. Hope he is safe.

I would imagine if he was in a high rise apartment in Miami he evacuated.  All the east coast is under mandatory evacuation.

People used to think "vertical evacuation" (staying put in a high rise) worked; just look at the Hyatt Hotel in N.O. after Katrina to see how it doesn't work.  But of course, not everyone evacuates when a mandatory evacuation is called for.  It's not like you can be forced to leave your property.  But cities can, of course, and do (and should) assure you that no assistance will be forthcoming if you think you're going to get some help later on.

Some people don't realize that a lot of people, particularly the poor or elderly, have no place to go or no means (including a car or any type of transportation) to go anywhere that requires payment of any sort.  Just tell people they can't take their pets with them and you'll get even fewer to evacuate!  Of course, THAT won't happen again.  In June of 2006, Governor Blanco signed the Pet Evacuation Bill into law.

My late sister testified before the state legislature in support of this bill, as did an elderly man, Mr. Morgan, who was a veteran in his early 70s who had lost both legs to diabetes; he was swept from his wheelchair by water entering his home during the storm.  He dove under the deluge and broke through a window to escape, pulling his 1-year-old apricot-colored poodle, Morgan LaFaye, along with him. When they surfaced outside, he pushed the dog onto his roof and held onto a nearby tree for 14 hours, the wind and rain pummeling his body as the flood threatened to sweep him away. Coast Guard rescuers eventually arrived and threw him a rope, but they would not take “Miss Morgan.”  Bystanders wept as Morgan recounted his ordeal to the legislators. He told them of being sped away in a boat, forced to leave Miss Morgan whimpering on his roof. “Several blocks over, I could still hear her,” he said. “It was awful.”  

Some of you might remember having seen Animal Planet about this story.  Unlike many forced to leave their pets behind, however, Mr. Morgan was very lucky. Emergency responders sent him to a VA hospital in Miami, where a volunteer scoured hundreds of animal rescue sites on the internet for any news of his dog. Miss Morgan was lucky, too. After the dog spent 12 days alone on her rooftop, volunteers with Best Friends Animal Society, an animal welfare group that saved thousands of pets during the storm, rescued her and placed her in an emergency shelter. A few weeks later, the group arranged a tearful reunion at Morgan’s hospital, while Animal Planet cameras rolled.  My law firm was contacted by many people whose pets were found but whose "new owners" refused to turn them over, saying they should have never been left alone to begin with and that the original owners did not "deserve" to have them back.  I cannot for the life of me imagine being that cruel to someone by not returning their pet, particularly when they had lost everything, including their home, their job, and perhaps even a family member!

The act passed in Louisiana in June 2006 requires the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, as well as the governments of the state’s parishes, to include pets in their disaster planning. State and local authorities must now make pets part of their emergency-training exercises, and they must educate the public about how to care for pets during natural disasters.

Perhaps most significantly, pets must now be evacuated with people. If evacuation buses cannot accommodate them, officials must provide alternative transportation, such as climate-controlled trucks. And human shelters must now accept pets, or they must set up pet-friendly facilities nearby so that people can keep tabs on their animals. Under one parish’s plan, owners and their pets arriving at emergency shelters will be given matching bar-coded wristbands and collars to make sure no animals are lost.

A few months after Louisiana, the federal government passed its own version of the law: the PETS Act. It was one of the only major bills to have overwhelming bipartisan backing since the 2001 Patriot Act, signed in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.  I think to date, 14 states plus the District of Columbia have passed their own tailored versions of the act, which have been implemented in everything from tornadoes to wildfires.

Every time people have to evacuate, it reminds me to count my blessings that we have a car and funds (even if one only has a credit card) to do so if we wanted to. And we would rather die than leave a pet behind, as most of you would.  It's so nice to know we'd never have to do so.

Forgive me for getting carried away but I just kept thinking of that little apricot-colored poodle crying out for her owner....

Michelle, I had tears in my eyes as I was reading your story. That poor, defenseless little creature...and his owner.. The grief, sadness, desperation they both had to endure.

I am so happy that this ended happily..

Sounds like a great law to enact.. I am all for it!

Me too! I was in suspense reading this! OMG, I couldn't imagine leaving the pet behind. Good Law.

79 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Tonight I pulled all the leftovers out of the refrigerator....supper was ribs, haluski, the fresh baked honeynut squash and some green peas.

I'm in kind of a 'supper funk' lately.....nothing sounds great to me. Sure hope this mood doesn't last long.

80 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
DD dropped off a flank steak the other day. I had it marinating for two day's. I grilled it tonight. Boy, it was tender and tasty...too!
Tina heated frozen crinkle cut fries, and we has baby peas. It was a good supper.

81 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 am

Niagara Visitor


Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. Sis is making a turkey and most of the trimming for tomorrow. I am making Caesar salad, and some Coquille St. Jaques. Her son generally eats vegetarian, but does love scallops.

Today I'm back to making stuffed peppers for son's in-laws. Lisa's (DIL) mom has been placed in a nursing home, but dad still needs to eat! Of course, when I cook for others, I eat it too!

82 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Bugster2

avatar
WTH? Thanksgiving? Now? 'splain please.

83 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:WTH? Thanksgiving? Now? 'splain please.

Canada celebrates Thanksgiving Day on the 10th. We celebrate Cristofo Colombo day!

84 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Tonight for supper.....Tina made Chili and Beans...
She's got a new 3 qt. pot she wanted to try that she got as a mark down. $24.99 regular price for $12.00. Tramontina brand. The lit was tight fitting, and hard to remove.
I fixed it. The pot rim was bumbed and had a slight dent. I took my rubber mallet, and bump bump bump just a little, and the dent was fixed. Perfect fitting top now, and easy to remove.
Good Deal! ..........

Got fresh made soft oatmeal raisin cookies that Tina made early this morning.

85 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Niagara Visitor


UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:WTH? Thanksgiving? Now? 'splain please.

Canada celebrates Thanksgiving Day on the 10th. We celebrate Cristofo Colombo day!  

Germany also celebrates Thanksgiving the second Sunday/Monday in October. I had a lovely surprise today. Youngest son texted............Lunch??? I texted back sure, where, when? He picked me up, and we went to other son's place for wings for them, a great steak for me at a pub close to his place. That's our Thanksgiving get-together!

86 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:WTH? Thanksgiving? Now? 'splain please.

Canada celebrates Thanksgiving Day on the 10th. We celebrate Cristofo Colombo day!  

Germany also celebrates Thanksgiving the second Sunday/Monday in October. I had a lovely surprise today.  Youngest son texted............Lunch??? I texted back sure, where, when?  He picked me up, and we went to other son's place for wings for them, a great steak for me at a pub close to his place.  That's our Thanksgiving get-together!

Great Lore! ... "Happy Thanksgiving!" Laughing

87 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Good for you, Lore! Surprise meals with the kids are always the best!

***************

I'm still in my 'supper funk' ~ trying to find/think of something interesting for our meal. I saw some brats in the freezer this morning so I decided to thaw them out. Ended up with beer braised/grilled brats w/sauerkraut, Penzey seasoned green beans and squash patties made from the leftover honeynut squash I baked off last night.

88 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Good for you, Lore!  Surprise meals with the kids are always the best!

***************

I'm still in my 'supper funk' ~ trying to find/think of something interesting for our meal.  I saw some brats in the freezer this morning so I decided to thaw them out.  Ended up with beer braised/grilled brats w/sauerkraut, Penzey seasoned green beans and squash patties made from the leftover honeynut squash I baked off last night.


You need to make your famous pork steaks Beth!
Haven't seen them in a while. Also, your chili dogs. Ummm!!

89 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
The chili was a failure in my books. Tina and I just got into harsh words, after I said,"Throw the chili in the pigs food bucket!" She flipped out, and said ,"you said it was good!" and I said just now,"Yeah, good enough for a meal, but not twice!"

She used Bush's chili beans, instead of the usual kidney beans. The beans were soft; small, and mushy , besides smaller than kidney beans....

90 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I'll put this here...
Tomorrow we go to a birthday celebration at my sons house for 2 PM. My DIL's Mom will hit 70.
It's sort of a surprize. She will see all the cars because my son lives in the woods with homes spread far apart, so that would be a first give away as soon as she sees the cars.

Anyway, Tina offered to make a large pan of lasagna. I said to her tonight, "Why don't you put them together tonight, so all you have to do, is throw them in the oven at 10!"....

OMG.... she unloaded a hissy fit. 2 minutes later, she said, bring up the cheese, and I'll mix the cheese.
I offered to slice the mozzarella, and before she knew it, the lasagna was all put together.

91 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Niagara Visitor


For the first time in my life, I made some rice pudding today, and some stuffed peppers, and a meatloaf. Cooking for daughter-in-law's mom and dad again, and for my children. Gotta keep in practice! Rice pudding is really good, I had never had it before. I used a recipe from my big Bon Appetit "Bible".

92 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:For the first time in my life, I made some rice pudding today, and some stuffed peppers, and a meatloaf.  Cooking for daughter-in-law's mom and dad again, and for my children.  Gotta keep in practice!   Rice pudding is really good, I had never had it before.  I used a recipe from my big Bon Appetit "Bible".  

Rice pudding has to be just right for me to eat it. My mom had a recipe for a delicious pudding, and we usually make it that way.
A couple times, we tried Christina Ferrari's recipe with the Arborio rice.

It was too creamy and loose consistency ....

My moms recipe, after the rice is cooked, it is placed in a shallow baking pan, and is placed under the broiler to create a brown light crust on top.

I have to look for the recipe, and post it.

93 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:08 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The chili was a failure in my books. Tina and I just got into harsh words, after I said,"Throw the chili in the pigs food bucket!" She flipped out, and said ,"you said it was good!" and I said just now,"Yeah, good enough for a meal, but not twice!"

She used Bush's chili beans, instead of the usual kidney beans. The beans were soft; small, and mushy , besides smaller than kidney beans....

Jimmy, you would hate MY chili then. I only use Bush's Chili Beans (Hot) BECAUSE they are smaller and softer. I don't like kidney beans because they are harder and have a mealy consistency in my mouth. But everyone has their own opinion.

And it's fine with me if you keep YOUR wrong opinion about MY wonderful chili.




Hahahahahahaha! LOL That was a joke....gawd, but I kill me (Me laughin' at my own joke......)

94 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:18 am

Niagara Visitor


UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:For the first time in my life, I made some rice pudding today, and some stuffed peppers, and a meatloaf.  Cooking for daughter-in-law's mom and dad again, and for my children.  Gotta keep in practice!   Rice pudding is really good, I had never had it before.  I used a recipe from my big Bon Appetit "Bible".  

Rice pudding has to be just right for me to eat it. My mom had a recipe for a delicious pudding, and we usually make it that way.
A couple times, we tried Christina Ferrari's recipe with the Arborio rice.

It was too creamy and loose consistency ....

My moms recipe, after the rice is cooked, it is placed in a shallow baking pan, and is placed under the broiler to create a brown light crust on top.

I have to look for the recipe, and post it.


I'll look for it. Thanks. Since I have no previous taste experience, I just have to go with my tastebuds. I used a vanilla bean and cinnamon stick while the milk and rice were cooking, the flavours blended beautifully (in my opinion) 4 egg yolks and sugar whisked in at the end, I'll find out from the other rice pudding fans whether I've hit a home run!

95 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am

Bugster2

avatar
If this is the first time you have had rice pudding, then I bet you have never had Grape Nuts custard. Down here in SoCal, there is a restaurant that still serves it along with their famous STINKO-BURGER (loaded with onions).

I am watching the news and saw something I have never seen before. Out here there is a pumpkin farmer. He puts some of his pumpkins into molds while they are growing. He has pumpkins that are shaped like Frankenstein heads and others that are skull heads. Too cool!

Here is a link:


http://geekologie.com/2014/10/pumpkins-grown-in-frankensteins-monster.php

96 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The chili was a failure in my books. Tina and I just got into harsh words, after I said,"Throw the chili in the pigs food bucket!" She flipped out, and said ,"you said it was good!" and I said just now,"Yeah, good enough for a meal, but not twice!"

She used Bush's chili beans, instead of the usual kidney beans. The beans were soft; small, and mushy , besides smaller than kidney beans....

Jimmy, you would hate MY chili then.  I only use Bush's Chili Beans (Hot) BECAUSE they are smaller and softer.  I don't like kidney beans because they are harder and have a mealy consistency in my mouth.  But everyone has their own opinion.  

And it's fine with me if you keep YOUR wrong opinion about MY wonderful chili.




Hahahahahahaha!   LOL    That was a joke....gawd, but I kill me (Me laughin' at my own joke......)

The only kidney beans we like, are the Goya brand. They are soft outside. We hate the brands that have skins on the outside.

To each their own huh?..... Cool

97 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:27 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Yup, Jimmy.....you'll never hear me be serious about saying, 'my way is the ONLY way' to make something. Everyone has their own tastes and traditions. And if we were to start a 'Chili' thread we'd probably get some of those 'ghosts from our past' ~ and you know to whom I refer ~ to tell us how to make chili.

Of the members here, however, I think we're safe in adding beans if we like and any toppings you can think of!

98 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Niagara Visitor


Bugster2 wrote:If this is the first time you have had rice pudding, then I bet you have never had Grape Nuts custard. Down here in SoCal, there is a restaurant that still serves it along with their famous STINKO-BURGER (loaded with onions).

I am watching the news and saw something I have never seen before. Out here there is a pumpkin farmer. He puts some of his pumpkins into molds while they are growing. He has pumpkins that are shaped like Frankenstein heads and others that are skull heads. Too cool!

Here is a link:


http://geekologie.com/2014/10/pumpkins-grown-in-frankensteins-monster.php

What a great idea! I hope that farmer makes a gazillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Rice pudding will be dessert for daughter-in-law's family at the nursing home where her mom is now. No, I've not had Grape Nuts custard.

99 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I've got my vegetables and sausage & chicken chopped to make some jambalaya (not really the traditional kind, I'm sure) because it sounds good to me. I'm not going to add any shrimp this time (mainly because I don't have any) because I know I'll have way too much so I'll have to freeze some 16 oz. containers. Sometimes when I reheat for a second or third meal I'll add fresh shrimp at that time just to change it up a bit.

100 Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:37 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
The jambalaya must have been OK.....ONE of us went back for seconds after checking the calorie count on his food program. One serving was plenty for me because I also had a huge serving of tossed salad with a simple white basalmic vinegarette.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum