Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rice pudding recipe, please!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Niagara Visitor

Looking for a tried and true recipe for rice pudding.  I have looked on the net and what I don't understand is that the recipes seem to say cook the rice separately and add milk later.  That seems to be silly to me............... anyone have one where the rice is cooked in milk?

2Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I want rice pudding I generally 'wing it'.....and I always get hungry for it when I have leftover sticky rice from Chinese take-out.

I add milk & half & half and some sugar to the rice and simmer until the rice absorbs the sweetened milk. Near the end of cooking (it's all a guess, depending upon how your rice absorbs the milk) I'll add a couple egg yolks with a bit more half & half and some vanilla to give that eggy finish I like.

I may add a little cinnamon and usually I'll add some raisins about half way through the cooking because I like plump raisins in my rice pudding.

I think the sticky rice is the key to the dish, whether you start with raw rice or go with precooked like I do.

3Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Niagara Visitor

Thanks, I'm usually quite confident about "winging it". However, not only have I never made it, I have also never eaten rice pudding, so I have nothing to which I can refer as to what it's supposed to be like. I think I need to follow a proper recipe, at least the first time I make it.

I have been cooking for my daughter-in-law's parents, because her mom is not well. I asked them today if they like rice pudding and I thought they were going to burst into a chorus of Halleluyah!

4Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Looking for a tried and true recipe for rice pudding.  I have looked on the net and what I don't understand is that the recipes seem to say cook the rice separately and add milk later.  That seems to be silly to me............... anyone have one where the rice is cooked in milk?

My mom used to throw it together with leftover rice (regular long grain) and evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I put some together like hers about a year ago. Not only did it not taste as good as my mom's, but Brian didn't care for it. But I never saw a recipe for it where the rice was cooked in milk. It was always made from leftover rice. I can check my local cookbooks (the church or garden group type of cookbook initially printed to raise funds) that are so popular here but it won't be a tried recipe.

You're a good cook, Lore. You can read a couple of recipes, pick out the good parts and wing it. Just give it a try first and if you like it, it's fine for your son's in-laws. Or get your DIL to ask if they had a favorite recipe they used when they made it.

You sure are sweet to be sending over food stuffs for them. Can't think of a nicer thing to do for those not having a smooth time...

5Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Niagara Visitor

Well, I like to cook, miss doing it for a family, so it's kind of a win-win situation. As I posted, since I have also never eaten it, I don't feel confident in winging it.

6Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Well, I like to cook, miss doing it for a family, so it's kind of a win-win situation.  As I posted, since I have also never eaten it, I don't feel confident in winging it.  

I have confidence that if you like it, they'll like it. It has worked so far anyway. Very Happy Very Happy

7Rice pudding recipe, please! Empty Re: Rice pudding recipe, please! Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:47 am

Niagara Visitor

Yes, except for the time that I made a boo boo, Anne can't eat pork, I put chopped ham in with the scallopped potatoes. Well, I thought it was an honest mistake, my sister told me that she always made them "with ham"...................... She meant she made ham separately, I thought she meant in with the spuds. Chunks were big enough that Anne could pick them out, and it wasn't a problem.

My sister and I cook quite differently. I married a German at age 18, Erika went off to nursing school where she lived in a hospital dorm, ate cafeteria type foods. Then Married a French Canadian, so her cooking leaned one way, mine another. She makes turkey with all the trimmings several times a year, I cook rabbit and seafood!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum