Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 16]

226September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was watching an old episode of DD&D yesterday and saw a sandwich that made me think of you, Jimmy. Fresh made French bread loaf split and piled high with thin sliced roast beef, some caramelized onions, planks of lightly breaded eggplant, fresh mozzarella slices and all topped off with some marinara (gravy). I can't imagine eating something like that as it sounds to me as if it would all fall apart and you'd end up with covered hands and lap.....but it made me think of you anyway as soon as they mentioned the eggplant.

Stay away from it for a few months and then you'll be ready to fry up a bunch just to munch on. Time to move on to some fried meatballs!

227September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy....just an idea for you since you're tired of eggplant and want something else....

I was looking back at old posts and saw one about Tina's frozen stuffed cabbage rolls. Go check out the freezers and see if you can find any. Now THAT sounds like a perfect meal to me!

Heck, I'd really like her sausage with potatoes and onions (hold the peppers for me, please). Those potatoes that soak up all the juices and flavors......YUM!

228September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies today. We leave on Saturday for our week-long 'girls' trip' and I know oatmeal raisin cookies are Lyn's #1 favorite cookie (although she seldom eats sweets). But I figured it would be a nice thing to make cookies with her in mind in case we want something sweet. Five women, one partial batch of cookies ~ come on! they'll be gone for sure!!!

I'm only taking the ones that fit in my small 'lock-lock' container, gave a 'baker's dozen' to Tommy & JoAnn next door and I've got a few left for ME (isn't an oatmeal cookie the same as a bowl of oatmeal if you eat it at breakfast???).

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 IMG_20160918_123459410

229September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy....just an idea for you since you're tired of eggplant and want something else....

I was looking back at old posts and saw one about Tina's frozen stuffed cabbage rolls.  Go check out the freezers and see if you can find any.  Now THAT sounds like a perfect meal to me!

Heck, I'd really like her sausage with potatoes and onions (hold the peppers for me, please).  Those potatoes that soak up all the juices and flavors......YUM!

Would you believe we both just sat here hem'n and haw'n over what to have for dinner. Stuffed cabbages did come up.
I suggested Chinese Take Out..... That got a ehh!
20 minute drive from here to Boston Market for Meatloaf dinners and chicken for GD. Tina did not get your meatloaf pics from last week, out of her mind.

Then I mentioned the German sausages cooked and braised with tons of onions and the potato wedges browned and soaked with the pan juices...

Well.... It came out to be a small 2-1/2 quart pot of bean and shredded cabbage soup.She added those carrot shreds ( I hate them ) but I like diced. Go figure!
She adds a can of Campbells Bean and Bacon soup. It has such a great smoked bacon flavor. Then minced celery, and diced tomatoes ( canned ).

I have to have some kind of pasta with soup. Maybe rollatini ?? or Bows??

230September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies today.  We leave on Saturday for our week-long 'girls' trip' and I know oatmeal raisin cookies are Lyn's #1 favorite cookie (although she seldom eats sweets).  But I figured it would be a nice thing to make cookies with her in mind in case we want something sweet.  Five women, one partial batch of cookies ~ come on! they'll be gone for sure!!!

I'm only taking the ones that fit in my small 'lock-lock' container, gave a 'baker's dozen' to Tommy & JoAnn next door and I've got a few left for ME (isn't an oatmeal cookie the same as a bowl of oatmeal if you eat it at breakfast???).

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 IMG_20160918_123459410

YES!... 5 Oatmeal cookies = 1 cup cooked oatmeal !

231September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Salad for supper.....chicken breast and egg for protein and a bunch of veg for filler (MINE had my crunchies, HIS did not).

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 IMG_20160918_170920041

232September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Salad for supper.....chicken breast and egg for protein and a bunch of veg for filler (MINE had my crunchies, HIS did not).

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 IMG_20160918_170920041

I like the crunchies, but only if I can bite them with my two front teeth like a rabbit. Putting them in my mouth like a bunch, is a chance that I will stab the roof of my mouth with them.

The plate of food looks good though. Just leave my crunchies on the side. tongue

233September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am in a torture chamber right now. I've been cooking for daughter-in-law's parents occasionally cause mom is not well. I have some scallopped potatoes in the oven right now which are driving me nuts. they smell soooooo good. They love my scallopped potatoes, so I guess it's worth it. There is a meatloaf that will go along with the spuds.

234September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am in a torture chamber right now.  I've been cooking for daughter-in-law's parents occasionally cause mom is not well.  I have some scallopped potatoes in the oven right now which are driving me nuts. they smell soooooo good.  They love my scallopped potatoes, so I guess it's worth it.  There is a meatloaf that will go along with the spuds.    

Ummmm! sounds great to me Lore.

Scalloped potatoes is a must to have with Baked Ham Slices. ummmm!

235September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Niagara Visitor

I never had scallopped potatoes until a few months ago when I learned that my daughter in law's parents loved them. They were not a German thing that I grew up with. Apparently I make them very well/good/tasty!

236September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Michelle ~ how wonderful Brian is surprising you with a wonderful meal when you don't feel well! Tell him I said, "Well done!"

I'm ashamed to admit I forgot to make the macaroni and cheese today that I wanted to!  In fact, I didn't remember thinking of it at all until I read your message, Beth.  We had leftover meatloaf and the sauce Brian made with it and green beans again.  I've said before I prefer a cold meatloaf sandwich to meatloaf but his meatloaf and green beans were absolutely delicious!  I knew he could tell, too, as he didn't comment the whole meal, "Doesn't taste as good as yours always does."  Well, it tasted better than I make IMO.  The beans he cooked with tasso and onions in the pressure cooker were divine, too.  He smiled during tonight's dinner when I told him his green beans tasted like my mom had made them.  

And to make matters worse, our dishwasher broke last weekend and he's been washing all the dishes.  It's under warranty and Brian called for repair last Monday.  He was told that someone from Maytag would call him, as this will be the third repair since I bought it in 2013 so they might give us a new one.  Well, Wednesday he called and told them to send a freaking repairman; we're still waiting.  We'll call again tomorrow.  I say just repair the darn thing even if you're going to give us a new one -- we need a working dishwasher NOW!!

Aside:  I just watched The Emmys.  What a terrible show it was.  Of course, we don't subscribe to any of the special TV stations (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) so I hadn't seen most of the shows but boy, it was really boring.  Brian winced when I said I wanted to watch it but it made nice background noise for his quiet snoring next to me!!!

237September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:22 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I turned on the Emmy's and after a while I realized I had no idea who these people were nor had I heard of any of the shows. I usually watch the pre-shows for the fashions but missed it this year. I turned the channel and looked at the red carpet photos on the net.

238September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I turned on the Emmy's and after a while I realized I had no idea who these people were nor had I heard of any of the shows. I usually watch the pre-shows for the fashions but missed it this year. I turned the channel and looked at the red carpet photos on the net.

OMG, Debbie, the pre-shows on ABC and on E! were both terrible. I thought it was a lackluster night for fashion -- a few of the dresses were hits, some were absolutely horrible, but I found most of them pretty boring, looking more like prom dresses than red carpet dresses. I just looked at the fashions again online and have the same opinion I had last night -- Yawn!!!

239September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:42 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies today. We leave on Saturday for our week-long 'girls' trip' and I know oatmeal raisin cookies are Lyn's #1 favorite cookie (although she seldom eats sweets). But I figured it would be a nice thing to make cookies with her in mind in case we want something sweet. Five women, one partial batch of cookies ~ come on! they'll be gone for sure!!!

Oatmeal raisin are my favorite cookie, Beth. I'll bet yours are delicious, as they sure looked good.

240September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The fashions were a snooze. The worst thing I saw was a woman (I think) dressed in some sort of horrible suit wearing an equally bad hat.

241September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:Imelda, your lasagna rolls look super, as everything you cook looks.  I have no doubt that Dirk will be well taken care of while you're gone but I'll bet he misses you terribly, as five weeks is a long time!  

How long does it take you to get home?  Why don't you tell us what cities you fly to (assuming your flight is not direct) and give us a play-by-play on how long it takes for you to get home?  I'd sure be interested in knowing, as others probably would, too.

thank you all... I like to "style" my foods Very Happy nothing fancy though as I don't have fancy plates and else, just play with the colors and a white clean plate Razz

okay, the detail of my flights, I have to drive 65 miles to the airport ( Sky Harbor in Phoenix, AZ ), I need 1 hour to get there, like usual I have to be there 2 hours before my flight, I like to be there earlier and wait there, rather than stuck in the traffic, I'd leave my house at 1 pm, my flight is at 4.50 pm, I have 2 big suitcases to check in, a flight to LA is about 1 hour 15 minutes, I arrive at LA at about 6 pm ( I have to get my luggage out, yeah, I know.. it's PITA ), my international connecting flight is at 12.30 am, I like to leave on the early flight from Phoenix, because sometime the flights to LA got delayed or canceled so I could get on the later flights, the last flight is at 9 pm...

At LA, if my flight is on schedule, I have to wait 3 hours before I can check in my luggage again and then settle down to wait for my midnight flight, the flight takes more 14 hours to Taiwan as I usually board on EVA which is a carrier from Taiwan, I have 3 hours transit at Taiwan airport, it's a nice, clean and modern airport, so the wait is enjoyable, they have some massage chairs we can use for free, 15 minutes back, butt and leg massage after a long flight is very helpful, the airport has lots of restaurants, but a bit pricey for me, so I like to bring some light snacks or meal with me

The final flight is from Taipeh to Jakarta, it takes about 5 hours, so totally I need 30 hours to reach my hometown.. it's a long flight but worth every minutes of it

On the flight home, the flight from Taipeh to LA is only 11 hours, 3 hours less, imagine how strong the tailwind is

On the flight back here, my international flight arrives late, about 9 pm and after the immigration and custom, there is no flight to Phoenix, so I have to stay a night in LA, usually I check in a hotel and take the early morning flight.. but Dirk does not mind drive to LA and pick me up at the airport, we stay in a hotel for a night and have a leisure 7 hours drive back to our home

It's an exhausted flight but I have to take it in order to see my family

242September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda, no wonder you are staying 5 weeks. I couldn't make a trip like that. I think they would have to carry me out in a box. Make sure you get up and walk around on your 14 hour and 5 hour flights. Don't want any clots to form in the legs. I hope you enjoy your trip. It seems like everyone is taking trips. My sister is now in Prague. Roomie just got back from Washington. My other sister is in Miami visiting her son.

243September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah! we are going on a around the world trip next week.
We wake up at 10 am. have breakfast while we watch TV movies of travel, and then, we
walk out the back door, then walk around to the front door, and enter saying, "There's No Place Like Home!".... That was our trip around the world, and we are back home in the kitchen; making lunch for ourselves..... L O L ........

244September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner is already made. Beef Stroganoff with mushrooms. String beans!
I want noodles with mine. GD and Tina want mashed potatoes.

245September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It must be exhausting to travel so long but, like you said, when you get to see your mother and family it is all very worth it. Safe travels, my friend. We all miss you when you are gone.

I wanted to use up all the leftovers in the refrigerator....came up with a frittata of sorts ~ potato (freshly cooked in the microwave), green beans, onion, corn and some of the deli ham from the freezer. I sauteed everything and then, when browned, added beaten egg and put it into the oven for a few minutes to 'set'. I made a light salad to go with it.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 IMG_20160919_172917277

246September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks, Imelda, for sharing how long it takes you to travel to Jakarta. I knew it would be an ordeal but it sure was interesting hearing about the route you take and how long it takes you for each leg of your trip. By the time you get to see your Mom, you must be exhausted! But I'm sure the excitement of seeing her and being back home keeps your adrenaline pumping!

And I agree -- seeing your Mom and your family is definitely worth the long trip! Has your Mom ever traveled to the U.S. to see you? If she's elderly, it would definitely be an ordeal for her to do so, I guess.

When you're home in Jakarta, do you sometimes make your family food that you now make here, something that would be foreign to them? If so, do they like it? Your food always seems to be such a nice blend of your seasonings and ingredients with ours -- and goodness knows, it always looks delicious. I'll bet your Mom is a good cook, too; is there some dish you long for that you can only make when you're home due to the ingredients you need? Or even better, is there something your Mom makes for you the minute you get home?

Thanks again for taking the time to recount what you go through to get all the way back home. It was really sweet of you to indulge me like that, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who enjoyed hearing about it.

247September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Everything went as planned with supper. The Beef and gravy was outstanding.
I had a scone for dessert, and then a scoop of ice cream Tina picked up at cold stone creamery store. I'm not that much of a ice cream eater, but once in a while I enjoy a small scoop.

248September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Niagara Visitor

I surely understand the wanting to go back to see Mom. I had my parents here in Canada, my husband didn't. So, hubby and I spent many hours/days travelling to see family in Germany. However, a flight from Toronto to Frankfurt is 7 or 8 hours (depending on which direction) non stop, so it's a breeze compared to what you have to do, Imelda!

249September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Everything went as planned with supper. The Beef and gravy was outstanding.
I had a scone for dessert, and then a scoop of ice cream Tina picked up at cold stone creamery store. I'm not that much of a ice cream eater, but once in a while I enjoy a small scoop.

So what flavor was the ice cream, Jimmy?

250September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 10 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I surely understand the wanting to go back to see Mom. I had my parents here in Canada, my husband didn't.  So, hubby and I spent many hours/days travelling to see family in Germany.  However, a flight from Toronto to Frankfurt is 7 or 8 hours (depending on which direction) non stop, so it's a breeze compared to what you have to do, Imelda!

My father was stationed in Occupied Germany after the war and my late sister was born in Frankfurt. My mom, who had been in the Army Nurse Corp, was already out of the service but had never smoked. She still had some of her cigarette rations from her time in the service and traded them for the most beautiful garnet jewelry in Frankfurt, which I now have. I have a gorgeous necklace and matching earrings. Due to the metals shortage because of the war, the garnets are not set in 14k gold but rather a mixed metal, which was referred to as "garnet gold" at the time. Recently we finally got around to dividing some of my mom's jewelry (she died in 2007) and I selected a really pretty garnet bracelet and a ring, also set in garnet gold.

Though I've never been to Germany, my sister did have a chance on a trip about 20 or 25 years ago to visit Frankfurt on a European trip. She loved driving and accompanied her husband and his parents on several trips to Europe; her in-laws would arrange to purchase a Mercedes and pick it up in Europe, drive it around while they visited, and then ship the car back while they flew home. She loved driving on the Autobahn, as speed was her drug indeed! And they loved having someone along who happily did all the driving for the two week trips. Luckily, she and her husband would usually end up with the car when they decided they were ready for a new one after a couple of years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum