Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tomato Juice

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:37 pm

bethk

Admin
I took a few tomatoes out (the ones that didn't have a lot of 'spoiled' spots) and then my half-bushel of canning tomatoes got washed and trimmed of bad parts. This is what I ended up with to make juice and/or marinara. Dane has strict instructions to stir every 10 minutes to assure they don't stick or scorch while I'm at exercise class. I even made him PROMISE he would set the timer every time he stirred them.

2 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:40 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I took a few tomatoes out (the ones that didn't have a lot of 'spoiled' spots) and then my half-bushel of canning tomatoes got washed and trimmed of bad parts.  This is what I ended up with to make juice and/or marinara.  Dane has strict instructions to stir every 10 minutes to assure they don't stick or scorch while I'm at exercise class.  I even made him PROMISE he would set the timer every time he stirred them.  

It's a lot of work to can but that's a reasonable amount to deal with. They look so pretty in the jars once they're done, too!

3 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:40 pm

bethk

Admin
I gave all my canning stuff to DD#1 so everything I 'put up' gets put into plastic deli type containers and frozen. Mostly I use pints but I'll toss in a couple 8 oz. containers for when I just want a little.

4 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

bethk

Admin
I got out my OXO Food Mill to turn the cooked tomatoes into juice.....used the plate with the smallest holes so I don't get any seeds in my juice ~ I do NOT like tomato seeds.

I ended up with this much in a Dutch oven pot ~ I'm going to simmer it down a bit more before I cool it in a sink full of cool/ice water and then into containers and finally into the freezer. I think I have a bit of rearranging to do to be able to fit it in as both freezers are full. But there's a whole empty shelf in the refrigerator out in the garage so I can hold it there for a couple days as I figure it out.

5 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm

cookingirl

When I had a garden, I would always make tomato sauce from the roma (plum) tomatoes. There is such a different flavor than that of the canned tomatoes..

I also froze them. I did use them in homemade tomato soup.. so yummy....
We did not even mind the occasional seed or 2 or 3...made for crunchy eating... cheers

6 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 pm

bethk

Admin
The last few years we lived in Ohio I had tomatoes planted in the old flower bed outside the kitchen door. I had the most flavorful tomatoes I've ever eaten. My favorite way to process them was to halve and seed and then douse in some evoo and season with s&p.....roasted low and slow until they were dehydrated. They were super sweet and I'd stand by the stove and eat them right off the sheet pan.

7 Re: Tomato Juice on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:53 pm

cookingirl

I never had home roasted tomatoes.

I used to love my home grown tomatoes..nothing like the flavor..When you grow your own, you then find out how tomatoes should taste! not like the wet styrofoam or wet cardboard which are in the stores...

8 Re: Tomato Juice on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The last few years we lived in Ohio I had tomatoes planted in the old flower bed outside the kitchen door.  I had the most flavorful tomatoes I've ever eaten.  My favorite way to process them was to halve and seed and then douse in some evoo and season with s&p.....roasted low and slow until they were dehydrated.  They were super sweet and I'd stand by the stove and eat them right off the sheet pan.

I always wanted to do that but didn't want to run the oven that long in our summer heat. I contemplated buying a dehydrator for a while but decided I wouldn't use it enough to justify getting one.

Beth, what do you use the tomato juice for? Do you add it to tomato sauce you're making on the stove, or soups or what? Inquiring minds want to know!

The first time I canned tomatoes, Brian was fascinated. Thank goodness, 'cause it's a lot of work and he was a big help. It really is a lot of work but like I said before, I feel so good afterwards to look at all those pretty jars. And to take one out in the middle of winter to use is just heaven.

I think I told y'all I used to make pepper jelly all the time (the only recipe I don't share at the request of the person who gave it to me after a lot of begging). I took some to work one time at a law firm I worked at and people went wild. So for Christmas, I bought some really, really pretty Weck jars (they're pretty but pricey, too) and made some for the couple of people I wanted to give some to, along with some thyme jelly and some other kind of jelly which I forget right now. One female attorney who was dating a chef was dying for the recipe but I told her I gave the girl my word -- she used to tease me and tell me her boyfriend was going to have the jelly analyzed. I told her the recipe wasn't that much different from others I saw. Well, the last day before Christmas, she went into the office of a girl I'd given a basket of pint jars of mixed jellies and when she ran into me, she told me she'd eaten almost all of Emily's pepper jelly. I didn't say anything and then she went in her office and found this giant beautiful Weck jar full of pepper jelly. She came out screaming, laughing and hugging me and quickly said, "Don't tell Emily you gave me all that pepper jelly!"

I never got into bringing tons of gifts to work as it could really get pricey. But I had so much fun that year buying these small woven baskets painted a kind of shabby chic lavender, arranging the jars of jelly and then wrapping them in that gifty-like rolls of that clear crisp cellophane and tying them with the prettiest wired purple and silver ribbons. They really looked like something you'd purchase in a gift shop and I was sooo tickled with them. I drove Brian crazy asking him if he thought they were pretty! I'm smiling just remembering that!

9 Re: Tomato Juice on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 pm

bethk

Admin
The homemade tomato juice will get used for anything tomato-y in the next couple months.

I'll probably use a couple cups for some tomato basil soup as a special treat for Dane to go with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich.

If I make baked pasta the homemade juice is a really flavorful addition.

I use to can lots of quarts of tomato juice and chopped tomatoes/sauce to run us for the winter. And you're right ~ it is lots of work. But when I was younger and had more energy it was just another weekend job that I scheduled and accomplished so as to not waste the produce we grew.

I also canned bunches of peaches. There were orchards by Lake Erie that had the most flavorful peaches ever. I'd save my money and buy two bushels to can (they were $20/bushel....that's how long ago it was!) I always made peach shortcake from the ripest peaches in the bunch and I'd take out enough to make a huge peach pie *Beth's FAVORITE of all time ~ and the rest got blanched and processed into quart jars. There is nothing prettier than a Mason jar full of blushing peach halves.

10 Re: Tomato Juice on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Bugster2

I don't know about where you live, but out here in CA, we have the worst tomatoes. They don't taste like anything. The last time I actually had a tomato that tasted like a tomato was about 15 years ago. It was called an Israeli tomato. Never seen one since.

11 Re: Tomato Juice on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:47 pm

bethk

Admin
Yeah, Florida tomatoes are like California tomatoes.....they have hybrid varieties that ship well, they pick them when they are green and tasteless and then put them through a process to make them turn red. And they are STILL tasteless.

My Ohio tomatoes, grown in good midwest soil always tasted so good.

12 Re: Tomato Juice on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:43 am

1DomesticGoddess

Beth, I remember those days of canning tomato juice (50 quarts each year), and during those hot, humid, Summer days, and I certainly don't miss it.  I mainly used the tomato juice to make my Chili or Meatballs in Tomato Juice.

13 Re: Tomato Juice on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 pm

JanaAZ

Ive gone a little crazy this year. 150 lbs of tomatoes; 60 lb pickles, 50 lbs peaches and 30 lbs of nectarines. I ran out of time since we're gone a lot. The sad thing is that I give most of this stuff away.

I also made 3 batches of jam, two with alcohol Very Happy

Now on to chili, beans, carnitas, etc. My canner will be busy now that my guests are gone.

14 Re: Tomato Juice on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:56 pm

bethk

Admin
JanaAZ wrote:Ive gone a little crazy this year.

No, You've gone a LOT crazy this year! But I'm sure your friends love it.

15 Re: Tomato Juice on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Ive gone a little crazy this year.

Getting ready to pick up a case of hatch chiles and roast them. I'll can some, freeze some and yes....give some to friends. Can you say C-R-A-Z-Y

No, You've gone a LOT crazy this year!  But I'm sure your friends love it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum