Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spice blend I purchased

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Spice blend I purchased on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 am

Crybaby

As some of you know, I order a lot of stuff online.  Recently, I got a bunch of stuff from Jet and saw this spice blend by Simply Organic that sounded interesting.  I bought it and both Brian and I really like it, though its flavor is kind of hard to describe.  

It's called Citrus A'peel.  Ingredients: Organic sesame seed, organic orange peel, organic lemon peel, organic garlic, organic onion, organic parsley, organic coriander, organic fennel seed.

It comes in a jar with a grinding mechanism on top -- you can grind finely or roughly, the latter of which I prefer.  It's not a very strong taste but a good and interesting one.  Lately I've been putting it on my onion or everything bagel -- on top of the cream cheese.  Like I said, it's not a strong flavor but a good one so I put a lot of the coarsely ground on top.  I've got Brian doing it to his, too.

Have tried it on chicken and on pork -- just added to food on my plate, though.  I don't know if it would show up if used in a pot full of ingredients.

It also seems as if the grinder can be used again, too, when emptied...

2 Re: Spice blend I purchased on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:45 pm

bethk

Admin
that's an interesting blend of ingredients.....I've never seen anything like it, even at Penzey's ~ but maybe I just didn't look hard enough. But citrus does go nicely with savory dishes so it makes sense to add it, along with the nutty sesame, to a table grinder.

3 Re: Spice blend I purchased on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Crybaby

This Citrus A'peel has really grown on us, and we both find ourselves reaching for it more and more. One super thing about it is that it contains NO SODIUM. I hope Bugster is reading this, as I know how serious she is about eliminating salt from Joe's diet. It sure adds a lot of flavor, Bug, without a single calorie or a single grain of salt. Like I said, it's not an overly strong flavor, which makes it great for adding it on your plate of food. Might give Joe the illusion of salt, what with the citrus peel and all.

I just checked out the price on Amazon and it's about $5.50 -- but like most Simply Organic spices, it comes in a generously sized jar (just checked and it's 2.54 oz.). And like I said, the grinder mechanism is pretty nice -- you can grind it two ways, finely ground and not so find. When you turn it over and just twist the grinder head, it releases a coarser grind. If you press the grinder top in toward the bottle, it grinds a lot finer (and slower). It's funny, as some reviewers like me love the grinder mechanism and others find it difficult to use -- I think they're pressing it in too hard and getting such a finely grated result. There is less flavor in the mix when it's finely ground, we find.

Like I said, it's not a vey strong flavor but it's a good flavor. Lots of people who reviewed it on Amazon use it on fish, and it would be great on a salad, too. I've gotten Brian addicted to adding it to the top of his cream cheese on our bagels. It's really, really good like that.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum